“What a Trip”

Ranked #18 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Palm Harbor, Florida
“What a Trip”
Reviewed April 10, 2009

My husband, 16 year old son and I just got back from Los Cabos, Mexico. Not only was this our first excersion out of the country, but also our first family vacation. We used points from our RCI Timeshare to stay at The Grand Mayan Resort. We had a 1 bedroom suite, including a kitchen, with a beautiful view of the ocean and pools. The rooms and grounds were impecable, the food was tastey,and the waiters were attentive, but the front desk staff had a lot to learn about the hospitality business. We unfortunately got sucked in by what we later learned was the "Mayan Mafia". They are salesmen who invite you to breakfast and presentation and In return, they provide you with discounts on tours and food at the resort along with 3000 pesos to use at the resort about ($214 USD), The presentation was only supposed to take 90 minutes and there were no obligations: No meant No. Not so!!!!! The salesmen are sharks that tag team you trying to sell you expensive property that no one can afford with the economy the way it is. We thought we were being blatantly rude, but apparently not because these guys do not give up. We only did this to help offset the cost of the adventures we wanted to try. It was not worth the time and hassle for the money we saved. We were approached 5 times in 6 days for these incentive breakfasts for various real estate throughout the Los Cabos area.
We did the ATV tour through the mountains that lasted about 2 hours. Our guide's name was Eduardo and he was great. One day we went on the Cabo Adventure. What a blast!! We would highly recommend it to everyone.Very safe and what a way to see the mountains. The best money spent on the whole trip was the CD of the family's pictures on that tour. Cameras are not allowed for safety reasons. A professional photographer hangs from lines to capture shots of a lifetime. A true professional. The guides made it fun and exhilerating..Well worth it.!!
The actual towns of Cabo San Lucas and Cabo San Jose are beautiful. Each were filled with lots of t-shirts, souvinirs, jewelry tequila, and scams. I love how the jewelry stores leave the opened bottle of tequila on the counters with shot glasses for you to help yourself to a nice buzz while shopping. Ladies, it really does work with the husbands. Surprisingly, Cabo San Lucus is cheaper to shop in than Cabo San Jose. They all have the same merchandise and you must barter with the locals.
Be careful of the locals taking advantage of you. After going through customs at the airport, we were greeted by a line of men who we thought were taxi drivers. Wrong!! These guys are the vultures wanting to take you to breakfast and take your last dime. Do not fall for it! We learned the expensive way. Apparently, this is big. In talking with people who frequently visit Mexico, all the airports have these salesmen waiting to pounce.
We met some really nice tourists while there. One couple in particular made a lasting impression on us. By the end of the week, we felt like we had known these people all our lives. They were great company and gave us a lot of insight on how to do Mexico, because they are seasoned warrior Mexican travelers!
The trip was costly, but priceless. I don't have any regrets. I hope that whom ever reads this will learn from our mistakes. The country is beautiful and I learned how important it is to take time to relax and reconnect with family.

5 Thank caprdh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Just returned after one week at the Grand Mayan Los Cabos. Stayed in a studio room (Grand Master Room) which consisted of a king sized bed and sofa bed. The room and bathroom was spacious and comfortable. There is no coffee maker or fridge in these rooms. Our unit had an adjoining door to the one bedroom unit next door. The sound proofing was poor in that I could here the next door inhabitants washing their dishes, television sounds and conversations. Our doorway faced the street, so the traffic was audible in the room. The street noise was decreased when the air conditioner was on.

The housekeeping was immaculate and we had turn down service each evening with fresh towels, soaps, shampoos etc. Our room was on the sixth floor and in the central part of the facility, so the ocean views were amazing. The complex is u shaped with the central portion facing the street and a eastern arm facing an empty lot where horses are kept. The western arm faces the Cabo Azul which is currently under construction. The rooms are accessed via an outside corridor. The entry way of the Grand Mayan faces a cemetary.

Our check in was efficient and courteous. We were approached by telephone by a lady from the timeshare company the first morning we were there. She stated that she wanted to give us some brochures, maps of the areas and info on which taxis were safe to take. She then offered a timeshare tour, stating that it would take only 90 minutes, would include a free breakfast as well as a 10% discount on all room charges during the stay. I declined and was never asked again. I did see many people attend the timeshare tours each morning.

The facility is immaculately clean and the service is excellent (from housekeeping to the waiters at the restaurants). There is an abundance of cabanas and pool chairs throughout the pool area. I would estimate over 3 dozen cabanas. There are three large pools and several hot tubs. The water is cold in the morning but warm by mid afternoon. The hottubs are not heated until mid afternoon. The hot tubs closest to the activity desk and the pool bars are the two that are heated. There is a sign which discourages reserving pool chairs and cabanas, but I have seen families staking out their pool chairs and cabanas by 7 a.m. each morning. On two mornings, we were able to see a group of three to four whales in the Sea of Cortez from the pool area.

There is visible security personnel throughout the facility. Most notably at the beach access sites. This is to discourage visitors from other hotels from entering the Grand Mayan. Numerous vendors stand in the beach area outside of the hotel. They do not approach the hotel. The hotel patrons would venture out to the vendors to make their purchases. The beach area is lovely, but certainly not swimmable. The activities center has sand buckets and shovels the children can borrow and to take down to the beach area. There are two ping pong tables in the pool area, along with water volleyball nets. There are numerous activities throughout the day at the activity center (bartending school, bingo, sudoku, yoga, name that tune). There is an arts and crafts cart where the children can paint ceramic crafts.

The hotel offers a meal plan (119USD for 6 breakfasts) (225 USD for 6 dinners or lunch). The Grand Cafe serves breakfast buffets each morning. The cost is 190 pesos before 830 am and 240 pesos after 830 am. You can order a la carte (95 to 190 pesos for a la carte items). The children's breakfasts were about 70 pesos. We found it more economical to order the a la carte items. The coffee and pastry baskets were often not charged on our bill. We were often brought complimentary juices each morning. The lunch is served poolside at the Peri Q. The servings are large so a Club sandwich (115 pesos) could certainly be enough for two. There is also a kids menu for lunch and dinner with items ranging from 60 to 90 pesos. There are 3 buffet nights - Wednesday nights at 340 pesos served poolside with live entertainment, Friday nights at 290 pesos (Fajita and Barbecue), Monday nights at 290 pesos (Italian night). We did venture out to check out the numerous restaurants mentioned on the trip advisor websites. But the cleanliness of the streets and town center in San Jose del Cabo changed our minds about eating in town. We instead chose to order items from the private dining menu for in room dining instead. There is a 15% tip applied to all meals and drinks charged to your room.

The bellboy advised us that it was safe to use the ice cubes from the ice machine on each floor. He suggested not consuming any tap water.

You can sign up for WiFi internet service for 650 pesos per week. The reception is poor in the rooms. The lobby appears to be the only area where the WiFi reception is consistent.

The Grand Mayn is approximately 20 minutes away from the San Jose del Cabo airport. It is a 20 minute walk to the Mega market (a mexican walmart) and a 30 minute walk to the town center of San Jose del Cabo. When walking to Mega market, I would suggest walking on the north side of the street. There are several street booths occupied by aggressive and persistent time share vendors. The walk to the town center of San Jose del Cabo is approximately 30 mintues. The sidewalks are very uneven, so I would not recommend this walk in the evenings.

Took the local bus to Cabos San Lucas for 250 pesos each way. The taxi fare is 35USD one way. The bus stop is on the highway across from Mega Market. There is no bus stop sign. We stood opposite the McDonald's entrance on the west side of the highway and waved as the bus approached. The bus takes you to the Parasio Mall in Cabo San Lucas. You would catch the return home bus from this location as well.

Overall, had no issues with safety or feeling unsafe at anytime in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank needvacationah
Michigan
Reviewed March 19, 2009

I should first start by saying that overall, my husband & I had a very nice stay at this property. We spent a week there in March - we had more than enough space in our room, excellent wait staff and amazing weather. So no significant complaints there.
However, we booked this trip through Worldwide Travel Centers -- which is a company that basically allows you to preview a timeshare property at "wholesale", on behalf of a timeshare owner that’s marketed their allotted time for the year. So, the ultimate goal is to get you to buy a timeshare. Very long story short – our reservation was made at the Grand Mayan for 3/6 – 3-13. I called the property 3 days before arrival to confirm our reservation and they initially had no record of the reservation, then told me that they found it for 6/3. I explained that it sounded as if the arrival date had been transposed because I had a confirmation in my hand for 3/6. They disagreed, said they had no room for me and I had to call customer service. Customer service also said “there’s nothing we can do” and told me to call Worldwide Travel Center – who then told me that my reservation was indeed for 3/6 and everything was fine.
So I called the resort again the next day to re-confirm and I had the same experience, only worse this time. One person hung up on me, the next person said there’s nothing they can do and they would not have a room for me if I showed up on 3/6. He also told me I could not talk to a manager because the manager would just tell me the same thing. He told me to call customer service – even after I explained to him that they were unable to help me the day prior. This went on for 3 days as I wasted countless hours of my life trying to rectify their administrative error. And that’s exactly what it was; we finally received a call directly from the timeshare owner who confirmed that her room was available for us on 3/6 but someone misunderstood and had originally entered it as 6/3. Never did we receive an explanation or apology from anyone at the resort. Not a good start.

Check-in was efficient but not necessarily welcoming. No one showed us around the resort or explained what amenities were available, let alone where they were located.
The “hostess” turned out to be nothing more than their introduction the timeshare sales pitch. She seemed nice and gave us lots of information, but she was mainly concerned about us taking a tour with a sales guide. She told us it would take 90 minutes – breakfast included. Three and a half hours later, we found ourselves telling the 4th sales person they’d thrown at us “not even if it were free”. Their ‘harmless’ sales pitch got to the point that it bordered on harassment, honestly. We just wanted to enjoy our vacation.

After that, everything was pretty much smooth sailing. Personally, I wasn’t totally thrilled with the cleanliness (or lack thereof) of our bathroom. There was leftover soap still stuck to the shower floor when we got there, and the area surrounding commode looked like it hadn’t been cleaning in months – corner cobwebs, stains on the wall.
Otherwise, the rest of the room was pretty clean; they were a little inconsistent replacing towels and sometimes not cleaning at all, but maybe that varies depending on staff members. The turn-down service was a nice thing to ‘come home’ to at the end of the day. Being able to do laundry on-site is also very convenient.

The waiters, waitresses, bar tenders and outside staff were incredible -- quite nice and accommodating. Carlos and Jose in the Grand Café were among our favorites. The daily activities were entertaining too – and the gym & spa were great. All of the food we ordered was very very good – there’s something for everyone. We even walked up to the local Mega Mart to buy some groceries for our room. The happy hour drink specials are worth while – 2 for 1 from their list of frozen drinks & beers. The pool area was awesome & immaculate, which proved to be very comfortable for us.

All-in-all, we had an amazing time in Cabo and nothing could ruin our vacation. Things got off to a bit of a rocky start but turned out well, as we definitely made the best of our time there. Because of my experience, I would prefer not to stay at this resort again – but it could easily suit people who don’t have any trouble with their reservation or don’t mind spending a few hours at a sales pitch – as the property is newer, quite nice and within walking distance to downtown San Jose Del Cabo. However, if your budget permits, I would definitely suggest the One & Only Palmilla in Los Cabos – it’s absolutely stunning and the customer service is unprecedented!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mcn_mi
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We had eleven family members for a week stay in Cabo.
Resort was much smaller than the other Grand Mayans but very clean and the staff friendly. We loved that you could walk to the town of San Jose. We were not harassed by time share people or venders except at the airport!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank sjdobson
winchester,va.
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Stayed at the grand Mayan from 12/28 to 1/4/09. Had great whether all week. Stayed in a two beroom unit with my wife and our two grown sons.

Unit is very spacious, nice balcony overlooking the pool and beach. Good sized kitchen, but oddly lacking some basic kitchen utensils. We cooked pasta one night and the only strainer we could find was about the size of a teacup! Had to strain the pasta in extemely small portions, oh well!!

By the way, the Grand Mayan is located close to San Jose's old town area, it's a plesant 15 minute walk to town for dinner, shopping, and just relaxing. Very cute square, which was decorated for the Christmas season. Lot's of local color with families strolling in the square with their small kids trying out their new pull toys and, hot wheels and bikes on the square.

Had dinner one night at Dolce the Italian resturant on the square, very good fresh pasta and good value for the food.

Spent a lot of time at the great pool and on the beach, which despite all the warnings was fine to swim in while we were there.

Ate luch at the pool resturant, not bad, but surprisingly slow service for drinks and food in the pool area.

2 for one drinks every afternoon at the pool bar from 2 to 4pm.

Ate dinner Friday night at the Terrace Resturant at the hotel. Friday night Fajita's and grill. All you could ate with 2 for one beers. About $25 a person. Quality of the buffet was good.

Went marlin fishing, on Dec. 30th for 5 hours with the boys on a boat reserved through the hotel travel desk. Aound $400 total for the three of us. Left from the Cabo San Lucas marina.

Sucess, everyone caught a marlin!! Each one weighed about 120 lbs.Saw some whales, sea lions, and sting rays while out fishing.

• Liked — size for our group of four
  • Disliked — lack of kitchen utensils
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank beltman
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 7, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Mayan in Puerto Morelos (Cancun), and at the Mayan Palaces in Nuevo Vallarta and in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point). All of the properties are beautiful, but the Grand Mayan in Cabo San Lucas finally got it right.

This is the smallest property of Mayans visited, but the pool and rooms are situated so all views look out onto the ocean. The beach is extremely wide, unlike all other Mayans, except Puerto Penasco. The beach sand was a bit coarse immediately at the bottom of the pool stairs, but became a very fine sand, glistening gold in the sunlight, with volcanic black sand intermixed. It was beautiful.

There is a warning sign posted on the beach warning of rough surf and dangerous currents. Even the staff warned us before we headed to the beach. But upon entering the perfect 72 F water (Dec. 20 - 27th) in 80 degree weather, we found no currents, much less a dangerous undertow or rough surf. Maybe things are different at other times of the year. We suspected there were no waiters delivering drinks in the sand, so leaving the property may have been discouraged. I could have stayed in the water all day body-surfing. No need for a wet suit. Perfect temperature. Waves were only three to four feet tall.

Like all Mayan Resort swimming pools, this one was beautiful and well maintained. Great looking vacationers around the pool right through Christmas week. The resort claimed it was 80 percent full, even during the 2008 Depression.

The Grand Mayan in Cancun was too big, and the beach could not be used due to underwater rocks that prevented swimming of any kind, unless you wore diving boots through the surf to snorkel beyond the waves. There was nothing to see except sand if you did.

The Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo, unlike other Mayan Resorts, was located right in the middle of the action for a change. Elsewhere, the properties are in relatively remote locations. In San Jose del Cabo, the Grand Mayan is in easy walking distance on modern sidewalks to the Mega Supermarket ten minutes down the beach. It is also about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the center of San Jose del Cabo, which we walked at least three times. All along nice sidewalks in an area abutting a wildlife preserve on one side, and an interesting cemetery, shops, and restaurants on the other. The only other walkers are usually other tourists, with an occasional local person, all of whom were extremely polite and friendly. I went to high school in Mexico, and there was nothing dangerous about any area we walked through.

We rented a Hertz Nissan sedan for $700.00 for the week, which included $200.00 for insurance. We really didn't need the car, unless you wanted to go into Cabo San Lucas. We did three times, but unless you are into seeing really touristy areas and other tourists, there was nothing there to excite the senses. I imagine the nightlife there during Spring Break would make the area attractive for many. Otherwise, it is pretty ugly, and the layout of the city is such that you cannot drive along the waterfront and see the ocean, boats, or bikinis. These towns could all take a hint from Rio de Janeiro and have double laned avenues along the water so all can enjoy the view. The resorts do their best to exclude locals, and it appears the resort designers intentionally cut off all public access. Mores the pity.

No Mayan Resort is a cheap place to eat, so we opted to fill our rental car with groceries from the Mega Supermarket and the Soriana Supermarket and take them back to the room kitchen and dining table. Nothing nicer than being able to cook what you want, and as much as you want. The bellboys would routinely haul the groceries for guests back to their rooms, which added another $4.00 to $5.00 to the grocery tab, which was minimal when compared to the restaurant prices. I am cheap when it comes to meals. I do not wish to pay for ambiance, views, reputations, etc. I want food and lots of it. A small square cut filet measuring 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches cost me $370 pesos ($12.50 per dollar at the time at the resort - $13.50 at Soriana Supermarket) at the restaurant beside the pool. There was a two man band playing. Margaritas were about $12.00 (U.S.) each. While very tasty, I did not wish to do it again. Note: both Soriana and Mega Supermarkets take Visa debit cards, etc. Soriana gives the best exchange rate on purchases, although they will not convert currency for you. You can also pay with US dollars. You will receive change in pesos.

All of the staff included persons who spoke English. Everywhere we went everyone spoke English. I speak fluent Spanish and it was obvious they were not accustomed to US tourists who spoke anything but "American."

I will return here, and to the Pueblo Bonito Resort on the opposite side of Cabo San Lucas.

• Liked — The rooms and pool are simply beautiful. Everything you need is already located in the room.
  • Disliked — $50.00 per week charge for Internet access. Internet access in this day and age should be FREE!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
14 Thank Caicaraskiki
Oregon
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My family and I visited the Grand Mayan from Nov. 21-Nov. 28. We had a great time. The hotel is beautiful, the staff was wonderful, and the weather was great. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I had read mixed reviews on tripadvisor so I was not sure what to expect but I was pleaseantly suprised.
The pool area is beautiful. The pools are a bit cold when you first get in but once you get used to the temperature, they were pretty nice. It was refreshing in the afternoon after a full day of playing hard.
The rooms are large and spacious. There were 6 people in our party and we had a 2 bedroom suite. We all had plenty of space. The only "problem" with the room is there are only 4 chairs at the dining room table so that was awkward if we all sat down together. There are bar stools or patio chairs, which is what we brought inside to use. A bit inconvenient but we made it work.
We really enjoyed San Jose Del Cabo. After spending a couple of days in Cabo San Lucas, I was very glad we decided to stay in San Jose. It is not nearly as crowded and not as touristy as Cabo. The locals were very friendly and we enjoyed walking through town and going through the shops.
All in all, the week was great and I would definitely go back to the Grand Mayan again.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family