The Grand Mayan at Vidanta Los Cabos
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$409
Hyatt.com
  • Breakfast included
Royal Solaris Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$202
$167
  • Pool
The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$269
$256
  • Pool
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$553
$462
Bookit.com
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$239
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$170
$139
  • Breakfast included
Cabo Azul Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$207
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$455
$293
HotelsClick
One & Only Palmilla(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$670
Paradisus Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)(Great Value!)
$737
$588
Priceline
1,253 results
All reviewstimeshare presentationblue fishsamba restaurantsan josebrio spalos cabostime shareconstruction noisepool arearci exchangeone bedroom suitebeautiful resortsales peoplehigh pressurecab ridecoffee makerrental car
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Relatively new ocean-front resort. Rooms spacious but furnishings somewhat uncomfortable. Ditto the lounges on the decks and poolside; poor padding and mostly uncomfortable. Also lack of dishwasher in kitchen misses the mark for todays standard. Bed mattress was quite hard; called desk for foam pad.

Staff most accomodating and helpful. The food poolside delicious and service throughout the property prompt and professional.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tamalpais
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan at Vidanta Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear tamalpais :

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed some of our food options, our spacious accommodations and really thank you for your kind comment about our staff’s service, as we consider them one of our biggest assets.

Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration in order to provide you everything that you need to make the most of your vacation. Our primary goal is to ensure you are able to relax during your much deserved vacation.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Warmest regards,
The Grand Mayan Los Cabos Management.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Grand Mayan helps you avoid the airport timeshare scam by offering their shuttle service to make sure you arrive in comfort and unhassled by airport scammers and getting ripped off by fraudulent timeshare scams. Arrive at the Grand Mayan by shuttle really takes a load off and once your there the service is great. You don´t even have to lift your bags, there is someone there to do that for you. Once your chilling beside the pool there is no need to go to the bar as the waiter rolls up and brings you one. Even at the restaurant the waiters bring everything over to go... its great a real holiday. In fact you actually feel a little too lazy but at least you have the option of going for a few quick laps around the pool. The rooms are great and really cool, sometimes a bit too cool and you have to open up a window to let some heat in. The hotel has great water sports like jet skiis and stuff.

The Grand Mayan even has the option to buy a timeshare which looks like it could be a great idea if you go to Mexico a lot plus they work with Global Golf Connections to help you rent your weeks. The people at Global Golf Connections were really friend and spoke great english too, they even advised us on the best places to go out for drinks and good.

Room Tip: Don´t leave the air con on at night because you might wake up feeling a bit sick.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 702joseA
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed a week, second visit in a year, very satisfied! Beautiful hotel, inside and out. Very well designed, all rooms have a view of the ocean and pool. Pool area also very pretty and well designed, lots of chairs & umbrellas. Pool bar is large, has awesome view of the beach. Pool restaurant also very nice, good service by English speaking staff. Actually, everyone speaks good English, even the bellmen at the front entrance, who always greet you with a smile and warm welcome, and are ready to assist you with anything.
The staff are well trained, and very competent, friendly, knowledgable. We had zero negative encounters with any staff, and had many positive encounters!
This resort is a time share resort, as are all the "Mayan" properties. Therefore, the rooms are large and comfy, with big balconies and jacuzies. We felt NO pressure from the time share sales staff. They made one very polite and professional offer to attend a presentation when we arrived, but no other contact afterwards.
The rooms are very well appointed, spacious bathrooms, large shower, comfy beds and sofas, good lighting, big closet with full size hangers, large dresser, safes, climate control and even nice art on the walls. Attached to. Our bedroom was a living room, dining room and full kitchen, and it had everything you need for comfort and function. Maid service twice every day!
Regarding some complaint reviews I have read about not being able to bring your own food & drinks to the pool area, I say "what do you expect?". Almost no hotel allows this for obvious reasons. There is plenty of food & beverage available poolside, and at reasonable prices considering the type of resort it is!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SCTravelerandskier
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Our stay at the Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo was just wonderful. The entire staff and level of service was superb. The resort is much smaller and seems to be more adult oriented with a more relaxed atmosphere than the other Grand Mayan resorts we've visited. Our room was also the nicest one we've stayed in thus far with upgraded furnishings and finishes in the main living/kitchen areas. We also loved the pools that were just feet from the beach. We literally spent hours just watching the big waves crashing in. The downside to the big waves is you cannot swim on the beach but tha t was not a problem for us. We also loved the food at the resort's poolside restaurant...be aware, though, that food and drinks are not cheap. A happy hour drink costs about $10. The resort's proximity to local restaurants, a 10 - 20 minute walk was also nice. We liked Mi Casa, Don Sanchez and the Tropicana but there are many very good places to eat in a small area. Expect to pay stateside prices, though. The timeshare presentation was definitely aggressive but not as bad as I expected after reading previous reviews. After an hour, I short-circuited the sales folks by making an unreasonably low offer to upgrade my timeshare to and refusing to budge from that number. We also capitalized on the special, low prices offered on excursions for going through the presentation. We took an 2.5 hour ATV ride through the desert and beach that was terrific and went parasailing in Cabo San Lucas. I highly recommend both activities.

Room Tip: 4th floor and higher rooms have the best views of the pools and beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hillbilly_Jill
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Our stay at the Grand Mayan would have been perfect – except – for the timeshare people. I would stay there again but would take a much firmer stance against those people from the get go.
We found the check in process to be mostly smooth – with just a couple of wrinkles.
The clerk had us sign and initial a check in form that was in Spanish with English subtitles. The part we signed was in Spanish so we had to hope the English part said the same as the Spanish. If not well, maybe we just bought a timeshare. The clerk asked for a credit card (the usual check in procedure) - then had me sign – what looked to me like a completed transaction for $6,000.00 (Peso). He told me it was a deposit only – in case we caused damage or made purchases at the hotel (like the bar or restaurants) but I was taken aback that I had just signed for $6,000.00 Peso ($600 USD) that might be hard to contest at a later date if the hotel decided to take the money and run. I also wondered if I would be hit for Visa currency transfer fees for the transaction. It turned out OK as no charge appeared (at least not so far) on our Visa card. Those with a low credit limit on their Visa card might run into a surprise if the transaction was declined.
After the check in – the clerk walked us over to the “Information Desk”. This is where we met Barbara who provided us with information on the hotel shuttle to Los Cabos and a booklet describing the feature of the hotel.
The Concierge (at another desk directly across the lobby from the Information Desk could provide you with that exact same information.
Barbara also attached arm bands to us – at first she was going to put a pure red arm band but something we said made her change it to a red with white stripe band. Barbara went into the ‘breakfast – 90 minute presentation’ thing then added get $1,000 Peso, get a Platinum 40% discount card, etc. I would suggest this is where you say – No – we are both bankrupt – with terminal diseases – and we are going to jail for life because we murdered people that bugged us - so leave us alone as we enjoy these last days of freedom.
Suggestion - unplug *all* your room phones each night- if you value your sanity.
<Begin NO! I don’t want to buy a timeshare rant>
I made the mistake of telling Barbara, the Brooklyn born timeshare person, that I would drop by one morning to see if the ’90 minute presentation’ was really 90 minutes and not 4 grueling hours as had been mentioned in some prior reviews.
That led to the ”Information (Timeshare) desk” calling our room at 9 AM each day for the next 3 days to invite us to the ‘breakfast’. My wife declined politely the first time, I declined the second time and asked them to stop calling but that did not stop the calls. On day 3 I had enough and went down to the Timeshare desk to find out how I was to stop these annoying ‘wakeup’ calls. Barbara told me that she had been off for the past 2 days and that Edna had been calling for the first 2 days and that today was Barbara’s first call. I asked hotel staff to translate “Do not call room 1244” into Spanish and then taped the bilingual note to the front of the timeshare desk. I also wrote to Angelica Hernandez, the hotel manager, explaining that we came for a holiday – not to get telephone calls each morning at 9 AM. I never heard back from Angelica – likely she never got the note or if she did – she – like the other timeshare people – just did not care.
I unplugged our room phones at the end of day 3 – but missed one phone in the bathroom – and on day 4 the sucker rang again at 9 AM. The ringing had ended by the time I stumbled to answer it. I called the “Information Desk” to ask if they had just called – they denied it – I unplugged the remaining phone and we got no further phone calls (seeing as there were no phones left for them to call).
<End NO! I don’t want to buy a timeshare rant>
We had the double suite (2 bedrooms and a living room with kitchen) and it was very nice. We were told by hotel staff that the construction of the hotel Azul to the West of the hotel could be noisy. We never saw anyone working on that hotel all the time we were there. We got a room on the east side which faces an empty lot used by a horse riding company. We were able to pick up wifi signal from the Holiday Inn Resort (formerly Presidente Los Cabos Resort) to the east of the empty lot - if we stood on the outer walkway. The Holiday Inn now has a password on their free-to-guests wifi –an 8 digit set of random numbers – something like 22135514. As a prior reviewer said – the kitchen drawer contained only one large, dull knife. I called housekeeping and requested a small, sharp knife. They brought one up within minutes. The coffee maker had a permanent filter but we had brought round paper ones that we preferred to use. The hotel supplied one pack of decaffeinated coffee which we did not use (fearing a charge). A card on the kitchen counter warned that we must wash all dishes on checkout otherwise a fee would be charged. There was a small new bottle of dish soap and a new wrapped scrub brush under the sink – we had brought our own so we did not use these. My guess is they are included for free but we did not want to find out otherwise.
Each unit had a bottle of water – which had a seal on it indicating a charge of $21 Peso (which – when you think about it is a pretty good price compared to what we pay for bottled water up here). We did not touch the water – but sure enough we got hit for the water charge on our bill at checkout. I remarked to the checkout person ‘Good thing I read on TripAdvisor about how you guys try this with everyone’. He had to call some other guy over they signed a bunch of forms – and the charge was reversed. Tacky procedure – but I guess someone thought an additional $2USD per room was worth doing.
Our room was cleaned each day and the bed turned down each evening. We put out the ‘do not disturb’ sign some days as we felt the turn down service was not needed. The maid put chocolates on the bed at night, flower petals on the sinks one day and did a couple of towel art presentations on other days.
We could see that if you were only in the smaller unit then you could easily have noise issues coming through the lockout door as that door leads to the living room of the master suite. Also the smaller unit does not have a fridge or any coffee pot / cooking appliances. We could hear chairs being moved on the tile floors from the unit above us – fortunately that was very brief and we were already awake.
The main bedroom had a 2 person tub in the bedroom. The tub had no Jacuzzi jets and was quite short – perhaps 5 feet long. There was a separate large shower in the large double sink bathroom area. The second bedroom unit bathroom had a single person Jacuzzi tub with shower.
The room safe is screwed to a wood table top with 4 ½” screws instead of being bolted to the wall. Sigh!
The balcony had a 4 foot X 8 foot ‘wading pool’ for lack of a better name. There was no water circulation in it – and the water was cold even though the days were hot and the evening temps never went below 21C. Hotel staff would come in during the day to do something with the pool – likely adding chlorine. The water stayed clear.
The other pools at the hotel were cool to cold as others have described. I suppose this would be an advantage to someone who wants to have cool water for vigorous swimming – we are more the ‘sit in the water and soak’ type so we found it too cool – even in the round ‘warm tubs’.
I did a load of laundry – I bought 2 tokens for a wash and dry plus laundry soap for $12 US at the hotel gift store (and discovered it sells wine and snacks). The laundry is on the ground floor on the East side (perhaps there is one on the west side as well). It is hidden behind some wood slats to the West of the elevators (non – English speaking hotel staff I asked did not know where it was).
We did not use the hotel restaurants – as other TripAdvisors had said they were overpriced. Instead we either took a cab, bus or walked to one of the many local restaurants for lunch and dinner. Some suggestions are Habanero’s (perhaps 2 blocks north of the hotel), El Herradero (3 blocks north at the street where the fire hall is located then 500 feet to the West),
We walked to the Mega store the first day – bought groceries – and took a cab back. We verified with the cab driver what the fare would be. For trips from the hotel to the ‘downtown’ area and back or to near the Mega it is a flat rate of $5 US or $50 Peso.
As other reviewers have mentioned – if someone greets you in English when you enter the store – they are a timeshare person and will try to steer you to their booth which is just past the checkouts.
If you need drugs – check at the Mega pharmacy (at the far corner of the store past the checkouts) as you may find them lower in price than at home. If you do plan to buy drugs from the pharmacy then be sure to first get a free frequent shopper card called a “Monedero Naranja” from Mega customer service as prescription purchases (at least in May, 2013) get you 10% back in ‘money points’ on the card. Those ‘money points’ can then be used to buy store items. When you go to use the Naranja card to buy an item – say or show the words “Quiero Pagar” (the Q has a + symbol below it) which is supposed to mean “I want to pay with this card” as if you simply hand the clerk the card – they will scan the card to apply your current purchase onto it – and not redeem the money points on it.
Note that the checkout baggers are not paid – they rely on your tips – and a suggested tip is $2 peso per bag.
There is a bank near Mega and we found the exchange rate to be the best there. All taxis, restaurants and street vendors will give you a price in US$ or pesos. In most cases the peso value is a better bet. We had tried the currency exchange at the airport and at the hotel – both were not as good as the bank. They take a photocopy of your passport and make you sign a form when you exchange currency.
There are a couple of other shopping options that are closer to the hotel and worth it if you don’t want to go all the way to Mega (or the WalMart which is 2 blocks north of the Mega). The first is a store across the street from the Azul resort (the new one being built beside the Grand Mayan). It is perhaps 500 feet to the West of the Grand Mayan and called ‘Cabo Gourmet’. They have liquor, wine, beer and some food items. A short block further along to the West is a combination grocery / café called “Market”– where you can get beer, liquor, milk, bread, and fresh prepared sandwiches. It is next door across a parking lot from the large ‘Rock & Brews’ bar/restaurant.
Directly across the street from the hotel is a cemetery which is well worth a visit for the very colorful and elaborate graves. The entrance for it is ‘around the back’ – alongside a long parking lot that is usually empty.
A lower cost (and fun) way to get around town is to catch an ‘Urbano’ which is a former school bus that runs in front of the hotel. The one way fare is $20 Peso for 2 people – although some of the time the bus driver will give you a $1 Peso coin as change. You can pay with larger denomination bills and you get change. I (think) they only take pesos. You can stand at a bus stop – if you can find one- but most people just flag the bus down as it approaches. The Urbano that runs from across the street from the hotel to near the Mega store – stops at that end and all passengers have to get off. The Urbano that runs from the hotel to the downtown area – on the same side of the street that the hotel is on continues through the downtown then heads out into the suburbs, then the slums, then again stops and everyone left on the bus gets off. We took that ride one day as the Concierge told us the bus ran in a circle route (wrong!). That trip took about an hour to reach the end of the line – and fortunately there was another bus heading back when we hit the end of the line. It was interesting to see how the ‘real’ people live – from what appeared to be 400 sq. ft. concrete block homes to tiny plywood and corrugated metal shanties built beside tire and asphalt dumps.
When you want the Urbano to stop you say “Bahan” – and from what we saw – the louder you say it – the faster they stop. The first time I shouted it out and the driver slammed on the brakes. You can also walk up to the front of the bus – but that can be hard as the bus has poor suspension plus the roads are bumpy.
I would recommend against renting a car as there would be hassles with parking, risks of collision due to the strange way they drive down there (Stop signs are routinely ignored) and many of the vehicles on the road had safety issues (no brake lights being common). As it is – you will be taking your life in your hands with the taxi’s or busses– but somehow they manage to get from point A to B without mishap.
You can get from San Jose to Los Cabos and back by taking a Subercabos bus which runs perhaps every 15 minutes from a spot across the highway from the Mega just south of the traffic circle. A one way fare is $2.70 US / $27 pesos per person. I think they only take pesos. These busses are air conditioned. The Concierge can provide you more information on the Subercabos bus. The hotel shuttle is another option however it costs $16 US /$160 pesos) return per person and runs at 5 fixed times per day– but does not run on Sunday.
The most dangerous part of the whole area appears to be the ocean – which is clearly flagged as ‘do not enter’ – which like the stop signs – is ignored by some people. They float up eventually.

Room Tip: Get the one bedroom with separate kitchenette and living room - not the one bedroom with no kitchenette. See my review for details.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple