“Fantastic Vacation, Nice Resort”

and 1 more site!
The Grand Mayan Los Cabos
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed March 24, 2013

First of all, we have owned a timeshare with the Mayan group for 8 years, so we are well prepared for our visits. This is our second visit to the property in Cabo, the first was five years ago shortly after they opened in 2007. The resort itself is beautiful, well-maintained and the staff are very friendly. I agree with most of the others who have visited, that the pools are very cold and difficult to swim in. Even some of the hot tubs were only lukewarm.

Although we are Grand Mayan owners, we had a challenge reserving a room this year. Very simply, this resort is small compared to the other properties, so the number of rooms is a fraction of what they have at Nuevo Vallarta or the Riviera Maya. The Mayan group continues to try and upgrade members to levels that they do not have properties for. (Anyone familiar knows that the highest level of membership is now the Grand Luxxe. They only have "real" Grand Luxxe rooms in Nuevo and Riviera.) So, the Grand Luxxe members can book rooms at the other resorts (Cabo, Acapulco, etc) 6 months before other members. This makes it very difficult for Grand Mayan members to get a room since Cabo has become a very popular destination. They are supposedly building a new property for Grand Luxxe members further east of San Jose del Cabo (so I have heard!)

We own a one-bedroom unit, but were only able to book a studio due to availability. We really wanted to visit Cabo this year, so we were ok with this. When we checked in, they gave us a room on the second floor. Very limited ocean view, noisy, long walk to the beach. This room was also a handicap-accessible room, not a big deal other than the entire configuration of the bathroom was different, more closed in. Not what the room is "supposed" to look like. The bathrooms is the rooms typically have a separate shower and toilet room with a full soaking tub in the middle. This bathroom had the tub/shower together and the toilet was not closed off like usual. Again, not a huge deal, just frustrating. We asked for a room on a higher floor and were told that "nothing was available." For the record, we never saw huge numbers of people, the pools were never crowded and the restaurants were empty, so I'm not sure where all of the people were.

Overall, the resort is great. The proximity to San Jose makes it very easy to walk into town to eat at better restaurants and experience somewhat "real" Mexico. There was a festival the week we were there, so we saw a parade, a rodeo and they did an Ironman Triathlon. The Art Walk on Thursday nights in town is nice. A lot of the art galleries and stores stay open late and offer free tequila tastings. They also usually have special pricing for artwork and souvenirs. We ate at some great restaurants, including Mi Cocina and Mi Casa. I also had the best churros from a street vendor in the town square! We also ventured into the new marina area, Puerto Los Cabos. We had a delicious Sunday brunch at the new hotel, El Ganzo. The marina has a walking/biking path that goes around the perimeter. There are sculptures and paintings of very interesting Mexican folkart. It's definitely worth the trip.

We went into Cabo San Lucas for a day trip. We ate and had drinks at a few places on Medano Beach. Tabascos was great for good food and cheap beer. There is great people watching at the Me Hotel on Nikki Beach.

All in all, a fantastic vacation. The Grand Mayan is a timeshare resort with all of the problems inherent in timeshares. We did not go to a presentation this year, which they call an "update" for owners. Although they were a little pushier in asking than in previous years. We just kept saying, no thank you, and they finally stopped calling. We do love Cabo, but will probably go back to Nuevo Vallarta or Riviera Maya next year to avoid some of the room hassles.

11  Thank Runnergirl89
There are newer reviews for The Grand Mayan Los Cabos

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Not as advertised. Showers are not hot. "Hot" tub is not hot. Large cockroach in bathroom. Worst of all is their enforcement of trying to make all of their "guests" wear plastic wristbands at all times. You are not allowed to proceed to your room without it. They also do not allow you to bring ANY guest or friend from another hotel to your room for ANY reason unless they are staying here. This included my family members who were staying nearby and wanted to join me to watch basketball while my child napped. It reminded me of Nazi Germany. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank NCCO
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Most rooms have a pretty good ocean / pool view, and are well taken care of. Mega store is within walking distance if you want to use the kitchen in your unit. Great restaurants in town just a 15 minute walk away. My only wish is that I listened to prior reviews and declined on the timeshare presentation - the worst we have ever attended.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank The_CGY_Gs
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just got back from this resort and have a few hints for future travellers. Timeshare .... say no as it takes well over the 90 minutes and the closers (are not very nice extremely rude)
Was not impressed at all as the pools were very cold. We travel lots and this was the most upsetting thing of our trip as we like to lay back and swim. The drinks are extremely expensive around the pool you really need to be careful on that one. You have to wait for happy hour for sure. We did alot of walking both ways down to San Jose and up the other way . Had great meals outside the resort. Would we go back..... NO.

3  Thank Janice H
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have been Grand Mayan members since 2008.
This is our first time in Cabo. Not certain what to expect but we did know it was a different type of resort then Riviera Maya and Nuevo Vallarta.
Having said that, its vastly different.
The property is very nice, well maintained and the staff is polite, courteous and helpful.
Its a very small hotel (132 rooms) which is fine, however the pool area is dreadfully dull and boring.
In a way, this is a result of the hotel itself as there are only 2 activity staff, a freezing cold pool (First vacation ever that didn't even swim once---and I swim 2-3 times per week at home) which makes their job very difficult as there are virtually no water activities---with or without the staff.
There are no beach chairs whatsoever----this is very strange as the beach is very nice and spacious.
Although the hotel, rooms, staff and food are very good, by far the most boring pool ever.

The property is situated about a 10 minute walk from San Jose Del Cabo. What a beautiful little town with some outstanding restaurants and artists area.
We drove to Cabo San Lucas for the day mid-week. what an experience. I lived in the middle east for 2 years in the '80's and have been to Mexico almost 30 times. I have been to countless markets\bizzare's over the years but I have never been solicited\harassed some much in such a short period of time then at the Marina in Cabo San Lucas. We were literally asked about a boat, whale watching, sky diving, weed, cocaine, restaurants, pictures with Iguana's etc etc----seriously, probably about 150 times in the 60 minutes we were there.
Our intention was to stay for the afternoon, go on a boat ride to Los Arcos, check out The Office for a drink and then possibly stay for dinner.
Well, as it turned out, we got a boat to Los Arcos for about an hour. got back into our car to head to The Office which was recommended by a friend. this place was a complete zoo with hundreds of wasted teens stumbling about (not that I have anything against people having a good time as god knows I have had in the past) but this was crazy stuff if you just wanted to go for a drink and a somewhat pleasant lunch.
We left, went back to the Marina but this time we parked on the south\east end which was much more civil and a fraction of the price to park, grabbed a quick bite and got the hell out of there.
DONT CONFUSE CABO SAN LUCAS AND SAN JOSE DEL CABO---COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOWNS
All in all we had a great trip in spite of our negative experience in Cabo San Lucas.

5  Thank Robert B
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I booked a 2 bdrm at the Grand Mayan for Christmas 2012. I was very pleased with the check- in procedure. We arrived early (before noon) and although check-in is later in the day (I think 4pm), they were able to get us into our room right away. We had to spend 10 minutes with the "Activities Co-odinator" who of course asked us to attend the Timeshare meeting. I told her I wasn't interested and that was that. I was never bothered again. I think it helped that I was wearing a wedding band, and I wasn't travelling with my husband. If you're married, time share sellers can only sell to you if your husband is with you.

The hotel is gorgeous. Very contemporary, bright and clean. Our 2 bdrm unit was very large with tons of space to move around. I was travelling with 4 family members (15 yrs - 75 yrs). The 5 of us had ample space of our own. And, the beds were extremely comfortable. Maid service was twice a day.

The only things missing from the room were: no Ipod dock or MP3 player, no DVD player, no dishwasher, and no oven (stovetop only). These items are usually standard in most updated timeshare properties. Otherwise the unit and appliances were sufficient.

The property is amazing. Lots to see and enjoy. The pools were a little cool in December. My niece and I enjoyed the private cabanas; there are tons of them around the pool--we never had a problem getting one. Alcoholic drinks are expensive $10--so we waited until Happy Hour every day (2 for 1). I strongly suggest the Mojito--very yummy.

We had room service a few times--it was the normal price that you'd find in other hotels. The patio restaurant is expensive, but delicious. We loved the fish and beef tacos.

There is also a great kids' activity program--lots to keep the little ones busy around the pool.

Overall, the hotel was better than I expected (more elegant than most timeshares), the area is safe, clean and fun. We walked to the market to shop and the grocery store is a $5 cab fare away. Also took a cab (talked him into a better price, i think $30-$35) to Cabo San Lucas--great day walking around, shopping and eating at the pier.

Strongly recommend this hotel and location, especially at Christmas; the weather was low 80s every day and Santa visited the hotel and had a toy for each child.

I also recommend to bring lots of smaller US cash. I had problems trying to use $100 bills and it's a bother to convert down there (you lose on the exchange at the hotel and the bank is time consuming--you need your passport to exchange US cash to pesos)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CJVCdntraveller
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and i just spent a week at the Grand Mayan in San Jose. We had a 1 bedroom very close to the beach and it was a wonderful suite. Large and well appointed. Large balcony with a small pool which was to cold to use and really made no sense to even have something like that taking up space when I'm sure no one uses them. Staff went out of the way to please you. Julie in reception was very helpful and kind. Raymond wait staff out by the pool and also at happy hour in the lobby bar worked very hard and was always there if you needed anything. Our housekeeper Elia did a fantastic job everyday keeping our suite clean. I did not give this resort 5 stars because the pools were very cold and you really couldn't swim in them, which was a shame because they were so beautiful and large and you were not able to bring your own food or beverage to the pool area.

3  Thank Mary Ellen G