“A nice place” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Dallas, Texas, United States
“A nice place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

The staff who work at The Bel Air were very nice and accommodating. It is a small resort with two restaurants which are over-priced. One building hosts older rooms which are in the process of being remodeled. The other building's rooms have already been remodeled and are beautiful with travertine flooring, granite in the kitchen and bath plus stainless steel appliances. Our air conditioning didn't work so we were moved to the newer building the first night. One wall had a door to join two suites and unfortunately the guests in the adjoining suite had a baby who cried all of the time. Because they weren't full, they let us sleep in a separate suite the last night so we could get some rest.

The food in the restaurants is ok, but the portions are small and considering the time of year I thought was over-priced.

There are two pools and chairs on the beach, so the sun options are nice.

There is no Bel-Air sign from the road, so the resort is a little hard to find. It is a nice resort, but when we return to Cabo we will try another resort.

Room Tip: Ask for the remodeled building.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan M
BelAirCabosGerencia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience.

As we have mentioned, we are a hidden jewel in the Cabos Desert. For now it is intendent to be a low key resort. This way we guarantee full relaxation when you visit our destination. As part of a collection of different resorts, we have to maintain this image, althought as we position our brand in the market and become well known, we will adjust to the necessity of making it easier for our guest to spot our hotel. Be sure that this does not affect or makes it harder to find us. To be quite honest San Jose del Cabo is a small town and most taxi/shuttle drivers know perfectly fine where we are located. If you rent a car do not hesitate to ask around or give us a call prior to your arrival. We are more than happy to give you directions.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family and I just stayed at the Bel-Air last week and as another review stated we were concerned about some bad reviews.

I'm happy to say that the place was fine, very clean and the staff very friendly. It's not the Grand Mayan but it very nice and I would go back with no question. If your a hotel snob go someplace else please. The food is good, pool and beach are clean although you can't swin in the ocean due to the rough surf. One day they cook a huge Piallia by the pool enough for all (not free) but it was great. I really liked the canopy beds on the beach as well great place to relax.

It's a $35.00us cab ride into Cabo proper and $7.00 into San Jose where the resturants are fine and less the downtown Cabo. The Mega mart (like a big Shop-Rite) is rite up the road and anything you may need is in there. Taxi's wait out side so if you walk there you can ride back $5.00us

Watch out when you get into the main airport terminal. You will be hammered by guys asking if you want a free taxi but it's a time share scam and 90% of the people get hooked. Yup even me but we did get 3 free swim with the Dolphin deals out of it and were this close to buying. Read the fine print is all I can say and have your hotel send you a car most big places have their own shuttles just ask them where to find it.

Oh yeah we all drank soda's with ice there with no issues from the ice. Go with bottled water everywhere else.

All I can say is don't be a silly Gringo and you'll be fine. You can walk the towns with no problems.

Room Tip: We traded our timeshare the room was very nice. I explaned the Charly that it was our 20th anniversa...
4 Thank Dan G
BelAirCabosGerencia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
It is very kind of you to enjoy the concept we work at Bel Air. You are right we are not the place for hotel snobs, we enjoy the simple and detailed service we provide. In no way would we want to become one of those big hotel companies. We feel like there is more heart to the personalized service we talk about.

Be sure Bel Air Los Cabos just became a big fan of you and want you back ASAP!! This is your home.

Brownsville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Had a great time during my stay! We truly enjoyed the afternoon iced tea and the champagne from 7-8 pm. My kids loved roasting marshmallows on the fire pit every night. The concierge Alberto and Paco were great assisting us with recomendations for places to eat and activities. Loved the Chef's cooking demonstration at the terrace with Stephanie doing the translation. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: New building, ocean view
3 Thank SammyH6068
Thank you so much for your comments. I agree with you the Chef's cooking demostrations are quite fun!! Hopefully we will see you again in the near future and you choose Bel Air as your home resort.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was a little concerned with some of the reviews that I read about this place, however I called interval international and asked a few questions about the resort and I was told it was a 4 out of 5 star resort, so I felt better with that response, but WOW like I have previously stated the people that work at hotels works for tips so if you want to have a memorable stay you must be kind and it will pay off, the resort employees folks clean my room every day, wash my dishes everyday, they gave us little cakes at the end of the day compliments of the chef everyday, they had tea time from 6 to 7 pm everyday, sunset time from 7 to 8:PM everyday which includes champagne at no additional fee everyday, the pool was cleaned everyday, my A/C works perfect everyday, the employees were simply outstanding, the only thing is that the pool bar closed at 7:PM, from the bellboy to the maid to the bartenders this guys were on point every step of the way, I visited local restaurants in San Jose and also in Los Cabos and found very nice places, in San Jose there was Rossy's very nice ethnic food, also found El Toro Guero and this place has the best ceviche I have ever tasted in Mexico and the Caribbean the fish is fresh of the Pacific Ocean and the variety and styles and sea food was a delight. In Los Cabos I like Mis Suenos very nice waiters a little expensive but worth the money, also in Los Cabos was Mariscos Mocambo very nice place to eat fish. The beaches were outstanding, in San Jose they have nice surfing beaches also a few swimming beaches, in Los Cabos is the same just a more people around you, El Chileno beach is great for swimming and snorkeling, at the end of the day you just have to go with the right attitude and give people of other countries a chance. I will return to this place and again Los Cabos you have found love from Fort Worth, TX. Ray, Gaby and Nicky.

Room Tip: You want to stay on the beach front rooms, the new building, because of the size of the resort they...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank desadri
WOW!!! It seems like you went with the perfect attitude to meet Los Cabos. Which very refreshing because you are right. The tourism industry is well known for tips. Our staff is very aware that if they go that extra mile in most cases they will be rewarded with a tip but it is not mandatory. In the end we want to be known because we give a extraordinary service regardless of this practice.

Be sure you can find a second home in Bel Air.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

There are def pros & cons to Bel Air. It tries to be an upscale boutique hotel but it misses the mark. The biggest issue is with the staff. I had several encounters that were completely avoidable and the staff acted unprofessionally. The hotel made a mistake and put me in a king bed room instead of double beds. I asked to be changed and got the runaround. Finally the guy agreed to change me the next day. So i checked with them the next day several times and kept getting pushed off. They told me at 3pm that there were no rooms I could have. I asked to speak to the manager and was told I couldn't because he was out on the property. I said I'd wait and the clerk copped a major attitude and started arguing with me. I knew for a fact they had a room because my family member had unexpectedly checked out at midnight. (She was so pissed about the hotel's faults that she left to go to a new hotel), The entire situation was completely avoidable if they would have handled it appropriately. After the argument, they took me to a room with double beds. I guess it must have miraclously been made available. The clerk actually said that they gave me a king bed b/c there was 2 travelers. What a crappy assumption that all "2 travelers" sleep together. He also said that Expedia doesn't tell the hotel what the bed selection is. They are only told how many travelers. Sounds fishy to me. How would they know what rooms to give?

Another major issue...I had a package delivered that had a signed confirmation. The hotel said they never received it and had no record of it. I left Cabo and still hadn't gotten my package.

Breakfast was included in my rate. After checking in, I was told to go see this woman who would tell me about the resort. She ended up being a timeshare salesperson. Slick move! Anyway, she said that only the continential breakfast from 6-7am is included. Who in the world wants to wake up that early??? I went to the restaurant at 7:30am and they told me I could get whatever and its included. I still had to sign a bill so I was nervous if I was going to be charged. They should have been much clearer.

It is ridiculous that you only get 1 washcloth. I asked for another and the housekeeper said they can only give 1 per room. What??? Also, the little treats they leaave each night in the room is a nice touch but unfortunately, they are flavorless.

Now the positives...plenty of chairs, comfortable beds,big beach, nice pool, good breakfast, and a great location. It is within walking distance to Mega and the bus stop. The 5pm tea time and 7pm sunset toast was wonderful.

I must say that the following employees did a great job and tried to make our stay pleasurable: Victor, Alex, Isaac, Pedro, and Ulisses.

Overall, it is fine if you are looking for an affordable place that is comfortable and in a great location. It is not meant for a traveller that wants a 5 star resort with activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher room and not facing the highway.
2 Thank Santorini06252009
BelAirCabosGerencia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for covering both opinions about your stay. We certainly appreciate when a guest points out our oportunity areas, your feedback is what makes us learn and grow as a company. Believe that your comments will be taken very seriously to become better at what we love to do. Be your Vacation provider.

I would like to share with you our point of view on how we see ourselves as a brand,
We are a Highly Individualized Property. Our job is not being a upscale resort, OUR GOAL is to personalize your experience to the max so you feel at HOME. So I believe that being compared to such a different type of hotel is probably not the idea we want people to think of when they talk about Bel Air. For starters Days Inn is almost considered a MOTEL. That all together marks a big difference, don't you think? Aside from being just like any other franchise type of hotel focused on big cities and busy areas. We are a unique COLLECTION of RESORTS located only in the most gorgeous beaches in Mexico.

The issue you experienced about the room, is something we are currently working on with Expedia, as we learn from our mistakes we can see what limits do we give to these agencies about what they can or can't say and do. Isn´t also fair that we would think two people that travel together may be a couple? Since Expedia does not provide these details we reserve the privilege of trying to accomodate you with the best room AT THE TIME OF ARRIVAL, depending on availability. I can guarantee that this applies to everyone.

Beware when sending packages by mail. Remember that there packages have to go through customs, and other different security measures that may delay their delivery and it may take up to 2 weeks for you to receive your parcel. I have personally checked with our staff how is it that we handle these situations and we do have the instruction to deliver right away when anything arrives for a guest. I suggest you pay for express delivery, seems to me like the better option when sending stuff by mail.

The early-bird breakfast is meant for those who do want to enjoy their morning and see the sunrise. It is consider one of our hallmarks and extras we provide. Seems to me that it had nothing to do with your package. If you did have breakfast included, our opening times for breakfast is from 6am to 12 noon. Although we will take in consideration giving more especific explanations so all guest fully understand how we handle our service.

Overall be sure we will fix the details that slipped by us to avoid other guests experiencing this type of issues. Thank you also for pointing our we are a Resort meant for full relaxation!! and please visit our other jewels: Cancun, Nuevo Vallarta and Xpu-Ha. as they're meant to satisfy all taste and likings with many activities and things to discover ONLY AT BEL AIR.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The property is very charming, it's not a large resort. The beach is gorgeous and feels as though it is my very own. The staff is very friendly. My average review is of the property and room itself. I can't get early check in but viewed my room. It is a view of the noisy highway. I requested a better place and was told I would need to pay more. Note, I got this deal off of Expedia where the description states ocean view room but the confirmation email does not. I will have to wear ear plugs for sleeping. Be careful if booking a deal. Other lodgings are the same cost with guarantee of ocean views.

Room Tip: Make sure your confirmation states ocean view room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Ouisey M
BelAirCabosGerencia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

You are absolutely right. when booking a reservation it is very important to look at the details, just to make sure you are given exactly what you are paying for.

Unfortunately, the ocean view rooms are subject to availability. So perhaps in your situation we did not have it available, otherwise let me assure you that you would have gotten the room you were expecting. Now, we only charge to change you to a different room when this involves giving you an upgrade. One big apology for the noise. Since the biulding is so old, we havent found the way to lessen this issue. Hopefully in the near future we can come up with a solution to that even though the highway and noise is out of our hands.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Service is regular. Employees do not try to find solutions. Pool is nice.
Air conditionning was very noisy. To find the hotel you will have to follow la joya as Bel Air is not indicated.we did not try the food in the restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
BelAirCabosGerencia, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about our Resort.

Although we would definitely love if you elaborate a bit more about your experience, especially since you mention our employees don't find solutions. There are a few rules we must follow but overall our service is meant to be personalized. Therefore we are most flexible with almost any request you have. Was this not the case?

Bel Air only took over this resort almost 3 years ago, be patient with us as we are in the process of renovations. Aside from being the underdog of the rest of the competition here in Cabos. If you look at it from a different perspective. Isn't nice to be in a place where you can't be easily found? Trut us, in time we will be a well known brand. For now we can offer the secrecy of being a hiden jewel in Los Cabos.