“Magnificent -THUMBS UP!!!”

Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Central Coast California
“Magnificent -THUMBS UP!!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Below are the facts of my trip then my review so fellow travelers can make an educated decision. I hope my review helps in your decision.

DATE: February 2010 / one week
COST: $250 per night - Below average for area due to discount given on hotel’s website (I found a scrolling banner at the top of the website which was a link to the discount). The hotel is upscale so you get a great deal.
BOOKING: Internet / hotel website.
FALSE PROMISES: None. I actually got a two bedroom villa suite w/ ocean and pool view when I only reserved a one bedroom. Everything advertised was supplied, plus unexpected upgrades.
STAFF: Excellent (one of the best I have ever seen). Professional, Friendly, Welcoming.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Safe; landscaped, other luxurious properties, restaurants, shopping, access to bus and taxi, modern.
CHECK-IN/OUT: Too easy, very friendly, concierge introduction.

REVIEW: I give this hotel A BIG THUMBS UP!!! I recommend this hotel if you’re on vacation looking to escape the hustle of traditional hotel stays in Mexico. This is a resot so you literally would never have to leave this property. The property is luxurious, extremely quiet, and the rooms are fantastically decorated with modern and traditional décor that is in line with a five star property with expensive taste. The staff at the hotel, from the bellmen to the restaurants are professional and obviously trained in ensuring you will receive the service of a honored guest. There is a lot of attention to detail when it comes to the grounds, and the pool areas (there are heated and unheated pool areas, huge 20 person hot tub, swim up bars, outdoor dining, and numerous areas to hide and read a book while enjoying an occasional visit by a poolside waiter for your needs). If you’re looking to impress someone…bring them here. If you’re looking to be treated as you deserve, or as you have dreamed, then this is the place. Everything is first class and unforgettable.
The room: I stayed in a two bedroom villa with a full kitchen, living-room, two full baths, and a patio overlooking the pool areas and ocean. The room was very quiet, upscale, and relaxing. Amenities include stainless in the kitchen, high-speed Internet, dining table, comfortable living room, granite throughout, tile floors, Jacuzzi in the master, walk-in closet in master, in-room safe large enough for laptop, upscale furnishings and décor, views views!!! The water was hot w/ no problems, the patio included a patio set and table for dining, and the panel glass doors provided fantastic views during the day, and were covered with thick tastefully decorated drapes when you wanted privacy. There were a few channels in English to include Fox News on the tv’s (every room has an entertainment center).
Room Service/maids: Excellent. I wanted ice, and a huge bag was brought immediately from the bar to place in the freezer. The maids were excellent, and never seen. The maids even wrapped up my computer cables and mouse cords I left out from my laptop. They do the dishes, and even turn the beds down in the evening when you’re away. They absolutely will not bother you if you emplace the Do-Not-Disturb card on the outside of the entry. I called for a bellman and they phoned me to inform me to open the door because he was standing out there looking at the do-not-disturb I forgot I put on the door. I was never woken by maids or anyone trying to perform work. It is truly a great experience staying at this property and I always rate a hotel higher than normal when this happens. I felt like I was at home in the villa and was able to relax.
San Jose: Near the airport, on the beach, away from the hustle of the Los Cabos area which is a 20 minute cab ride away. I went on numerous fishing trips that originated from the Marina area of Los Cabos and enjoyed the fact I could leave behind all the noise, partying, cruise liner people, street vendors, and return to the Cabo Azul to be in luxury. The hotels in the San Jose are wonderful, and near the hotel by a five minute walk is Mega, a Mexican version of Super Wal-Mart with grocery and clothes, liquor, electronics, etc. There is also a Starbucks up there for those of you that like to get your coffee buzz on (look inside the Mega for a cheaper version of Starbucks with a Mexican twist).

THE GOOD: Easy airport Location, upscale, modern, clean, professional staff, pool w/ swim up bar, upscale socializing around the hot tub and restaurant areas, very clean beach, lounge furniture and waiters who are muy-rapido! The rooms are exquisite. The views are amazing. The hotel also offers wedding services with fantastic views if that gives you any idea how nice it is there.

THE BAD: There is not really anything to complain about. This place was better than expected and very luxurious. The lobby is located near the parking lot and is small. If you look closer, there is an area of the hotel which you can’t see becayse they’ve constructed a huge wall, but it is where a large lobby is being constructed. I later found out the hotel is new and the lobby is expected to be completed by 2012. Honestly, the lobby was not even noticed because of the other areas that are the main features of the hotel so you probably won’t even notice unless you like huge ballroom style lobbies (NOTE: During my stay I did not hear any construction, and it appears they have that area shielded from the completed main part on the beach side).
TIMESHARE SALES: Expect the usual push for a free breakfast and 90 minute personal one-on-one meeting with a timeshare sales person. I hate to admit it, but it really does sound like a good deal if you spend money to travel and like to trade options on timeshares. They are professional throughout, but in the end it is offered with extra perks and deals that can only be acquired if you sign the documents immediately after the meeting. Those extra perks are excellent and the price was a steal compared to what it costs to travel there w/o ownership. I recommend you check it out, and even if you decide to not purchase they will most likely give you 10-20% off all your drinks and meals at the hotel during your stay. I was given a 10% card at check-in, and after I went to meeting which was pretty good, They gave me a 20% card that was honored everywhere I went on site.

Happy travels. I hope my review was helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
11 Thank California_Wine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Pluses:
The rooms are amazing. I went with one friend and stayed in a 2 bedroom suite...1500+ sq ft, 2 bathrooms. Room is beautifully decorated, having a full kitchen is great as we ate breakfast and lunch in the room most days. Super relaxing. Great location...walking distance to mega plaza and into town (15 mins each). The most stunning pool area I have ever seen (and I've stayed at Ritzes, Four Seasons etc.). A very calm and relaxing place. Most employees are super friendly and always smiling. The onsite coffee shop and little market were very convenient...reasonable prices and good lattes, pizza and gelato. Never more than 2 minutes to wait for a taxi. Felt very safe at all times.

Minuses:
I never saw a vacuum the entire stay...I don't believe our suite was vacuumed once during the week...so eventually room showed dust, hair, sand, crumbs which was a little icky. Not enough restaurant variety..I wondered if when second phase opens, they'll be adding any. Food was good at pool, Flor de noche and cafe but menu felt very similar and after a few days, wanted more. The drinks...bartenders are SUPER friendly and fun but quality of drinks was not great...margaritas used mixes instead of fresh fruit, mojitos used a bright green mix...I expected more at a higher end resort. Our room only had hard wired internet and cord was short so had to sit at the kitchen bar area...not very convenient.

The pluses far outweighed the minuses...with 3 out of 4 being easily fixed should the hotel decide to do so. We will definitely be back. It was my first time in Cabo and I was weary of going to Mexico after bad media and not great experiences in Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta....and Cabo Azul made it a great one.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank bellissima66
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed February 19, 2011

I have been to Cabo multiple times... this is my favorite hotel. It's San Jose, so if you intend to go to Sas Lucas often (30 min drive) you might want to consider renting a car. Taxis are expensive in Los Cabos, a one way fare will likely pay for a day's rental. The hotel has a full kitchen, so having a car also helps if you want to buy groceries at the nearby Mega, but there's a store in the hotel where you can buy items very reasonable prices.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed February 6, 2011

This was a gift from my generous sister and we were there in early December for 3 nights. The resort was absolutely beautiful, as was our room. The only negative was that the bathroom lighting was very poor. Service was excellent, food was average. Pools, etc were excellent and beautiful! Beach is void of all rocks and shells. I can't wait to afford to go back - this was my favorite place to vacation!! Beautiful blue skies the entire 4 days. This is a family oriented resort by the way.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 2, 2011

WOW! is all I can say. What a trip we staying at Cabo Azul! When I booked Cabo Azul, my wife said, "I HATE Mexico!" She never been but on a cruise ship passing by and docking at various ports. So when we arrived and checked in which was a breeze since we were staying the week of Christmas, She ended up saying, " I LOVE this Mexico!"
The Staff was so attentive to every request we had and the dinners yes a little pricy but was very good! LOVE Javiars and Flor de Noche! We thought we were going to go to Mega and by our groceries for dinner, but the restuaratns were so good why?
The drinks from the bar were excellent, quality all the way, never watered down!
We really enjoyed the three pools and the beach in close proximity. I love how the resort has a boutique feel to it, but large enough to feel you are alone. We have already booked our trip for May 22 - 28! OH BTW, I couldn't believe that the staff knows me by my last name, every morning and evening passing by they will say good day and state my name! Made me feel very special! Oh and BTW love the bedding! I always say I better sleep better on vacation!

We had some friends stay at the Westin in Cabo and they came to visit us every day since they liked Cabo Azul better! Now that's a compliment to Cabo Azul!
If you are considering staying in Cabo, its is worth the drive to stay at Cabo Azul.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Up4GnT
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Cabo Azul is a true hidden gem in the Cabo area. If it was closer to San Lucas instead of San Jose it would be on everyones radar. The rooms are absolutely breathtaking and the pools as well. This facility can accommodate families as well as singles. The Spa is the absolute best one we have been to in the Cabo area. Overall we loved our time there and are set to go back twice within the next 12 months.

• Stayed February 2010
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 24, 2011

Let's just say we were very sad to leave! This hotel and its employees make you feel as if you are a part of their family and the only guests "checked in" at the resort! They tend to your every need, are quick, and are as friendly as can be... We stayed at the Cabo Azul with a total of 6 friends for 7 days. Everything including the room, pools, bar, landscaping and beach were so clean and manicured. Walking on the beach was even an experience on its own. While we walked in the water, it looks as if there are slivers of gold sparkling in the cool blue ocean tide. The spa/massages are a must! I actually got engaged during this trip mid-week. The hotel (Rosalinda: Wedding Coordinator) set up a tiki hut on the beach for us. Leading our path was tiki torches and rose petals scattered up to our little gazebo with the most amazing dinner setting at sunset. The food from Javiers was impeccable, especially the shrimp ceviche. We thought the best ceviche we have ever eaten was in Miami, but Javiers takes the cake! Even our server (Francisco) waited on us hand and foot during our meal, which was incredible and provided such an even greater setting of feeling like Royalty. Between the 6 of us, we did not have one bad experience. It was so good in fact, before we left, I already bought another week long vacation to the Cabo Azul, which they gave us at a discounted rate. But let me tell you, I would pay the full rate again in a minute. If you are looking for a paradise vacation, you can stop looking; this is the place to come! I can not say enough about this resort and its employees. SUCH AN INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! Thank you Cabo Azul! We will soon see you again!

-Daniel G.

ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#14 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
#15 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!