“THIS is the place for a wedding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Fresno
“THIS is the place for a wedding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

We had never been to Mexico and were a little worried; but for nothing. We went down for a four-day wedding celebration and the resort was everything and more that the website pictures portray. Our King room was huge and had a big flat screen TV, which was important to my husband.
The staff was very warm and friendly and there was no pressure to look at the time-shares; in fact, they didn't even mention it, which surprised us.
The 3 pools flow into one another and people laid around on the big platform beds and were able to eat, drink since the bar and restaurant is right there.
We walked down the beach for miles and watched the surfers and no one bothered us.
The best thing I can say is that it's Paradise and we're planning on going back!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

I was here for a wedding and had shared a 1 bedroom suite villa with my spouse and a friend. The location was perfect for a destination wedding and most guests stayed at the resort, which is mainly a time share. The 3 tiered pool is amazing and proximity of the beach is convenient. It was a great sunny getaway, especially away from the northeast cold. Room service and concierge was average. The first night we were there we asked for bottled water to purchase at 11pm and the front desk didn't have any! We had to boil tap water. Also, since I was there for a wedding the bridal party made reservations for a bachelorette party at a club in the main area of Cabo. We arrived at the club and it was actually closed. The hotel had thought the reservation was the day after, even though we had a confirmation email saying the day we went. So, customer service wasn't 100% on point. Overall though, I would definitely stay again. The hotel accommodations were beautfiul and staff was hospitable as can be. Although be prepared to deal with salespeople to try to sell time shares or activities.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bdlphn
Napa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

My husband and I went with another family. We had 2 penthouses. We were totally in love the every aspect of the resort. We swam night and day in the pool. We loved how friendly all the staff was as well as being able to run into the little mart for food as well as the internet cafe! 3 of us used the spa. It was breathtaking. Good times!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cg91311
cp
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2010

this was our first time in san jose / cabo san lucas & what a beautiful place Cabo Azul is. from the time we arrived the staff is very friendly, helpful & very knowledgeable. Check in was easy, we were not harassed with timeshare people. the room was wonderful very clean,comfortable, we were in the 2 bedroom villa & it felt like home, it is a little dark in the second bedroom, however the bellboy sent up a standing lamp immediately which worked out very well. the service here was great every time we needed something it was sent up immediately. kudos to all the staff at the CABO AZUL, we had a great time & wonderful experience in san lucas, we hope to return soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank olag10
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

Stayed at Cabo Azul November 12 to 19th. 3 of us had a Great vacation. I would rate this resort 4 stars. Checkin was friendly, professional and quick . The concierge talk at check in was professional and informative. We were offered a 10%discount card if we took the vacation talk, which we did. I have had a timeshare for 30 years and do not regret that decision. However things change over 30 years and I knew I wouldn't be doing so again. The talk was 2 hours but I knew what I was getting into from the outset. After that we were never again asked to consider the "vacation" option.

Overall impression is a 4 to 5 star resort. Extremely clean. The staff were excellent, hard working, and helpful. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Vegetation awesome. The pool area Is done extremely well with 3 infinity pools. The first is warm, the second is a little cooler but warm, and the last pool is cool.

The villas are great with everything you could want. Cleaned very well each day. Security was above average.

The beach is wide. And the water great to look at. It is not usable at the resort location due to an undertow but that was fine with me. I used the pool.

Flor de Noche restaurant was excellent for all the meals we ate there. One other restaurant we found that was very good was Cynthia's. It is an organic restaurant and the food was delicious and reasonable. The restaurant is located just a little further from the Mega store.

As mentioned in many of the comments here, the washrooms in the villas are somewhat dark for shaving or make-up. I think I have discovered why. This is my opinion, not fact. It is not the lighting that is somewhat inadequate. My opinion, based on getting mirrors for my business, is that the mirrors in the washroom are TINTED. If my opinion is correct, then they hired bad interior designer in this one aspect.

There is one reason not to rate this resort 5 stars. It is because the real lobby for the resort is in an unfinished part of the resort. They check you into what is basically a side room. No 5 star lobby - no 5 star rating. However, that was the only negative. It wasn't a big deal.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I visited Cabo Azul for 7 days from October 22-29, 2010 for my 20 something birthday. I used a guest certificate from a friend who owns at timeshare elsewhere. I am going to try to discuss everything starting with the resort.

Resort:

I originally had a two bedroom suite that overlooked the pools. The room had an excellent view of the ocean as well. The lighting is dim but it wasn't as bad as some previously mentioned. There are small dimmers next to each switch that can be easily over looked. The decor was very chic and the beds are extremely comfortable. The staff had placed chocolates in the room. We soon discovered that the plate was infested with little bugs. The staff was so great about moving us to another room with a better view. My only complaint at this point was that the bell hop accepted a tip from me then told another person in our group that he had not gotten a tip. We didn't worry about it though.

Once we were moved to the second room, we discovered that night that there was a leak under the sink in the kitchen and a person with us slipped. Yet again, the staff was immediately there with a medic and upgraded us to a penthouse. The penthouse was ABSOLUTELY amazing with jetted jacuzzi tubs in two of the three bathrooms, glass showers and huge bedrooms.

The three pools were all amazing and the swim up bar was definitely fun. The beds in the pool are a nice touch and it was never too crowded while we were there. There is a towel service by the pool that was not too much of a hassle.

The fitness center and spa were AMAZING! They even have a hair salon. I mean, this place seriously has it all.

The food at Flor de Noche was mediocre and the burgers were horrible. There is a Happy Hour special and the drinks are decent. The resort exchange rate is 11 I believe and the rate when I was there was 12-12.50. The best advice I can give is to go to the Mega. It is very affordable, very close and you can stock the kitchen with snack foods and liquor.

The French Riviera bakery is the best! It's in downtown San Jose and they have great breakfast and great great bread! The only other restaurants we went to in San Jose were Baja Blue which was horrible and Tropicana which was also horrible. Maybe I had the wrong things because both came recommended. Wait, we did go to Seven Seas the last night we were there and that food was actually decent.

USD v. Pesos v. Credit Cards

The people on the beach did haggle us to buy things and bargaining was better with dollars. DO NOT exchange at the airport, the fees are not as great. I read reviews that said I could exchange at a bank. Since I bank with Bank of America I went to Santander. The first one said they needed a copy of my passport and I had to make a copy. The second one said they did not exchange. The third one said they did not exchange either. I went back to the first one and they said they did not exchange. :( I did discover that taking money from the ATM gave me a better rate (12.50) as opposed to what the bank had advertised (12.00 and yes the did advertise an exchange rate but the teller at the third bank told me I would have to open up an account and deposit money). My advice is to do research and find out which bank your bank is affiliated with in Mexico and withdraw from the ATM. With my bank, there was no transaction fee and the exchange fee was 1%. It is so much easier to deal in Pesos. I didn't use credit cards at all (except for the rental car and incidentals at the hotel) because I didn't want to have to contest anything or deal with the exchange fees.

Rental Car

Please be aware that you are required to get 3rd party liability insurance in Mexico. I did lots of research on TripAdvisor and ultimately went with Antonio at Alamo. He is mentioned many times on this site and his email address is amiranda@alamorentacar.com.mx. He was very good about emailing me back. When you sign up for a rental car online through some of the companies, the rate they give you does not include the insurance or the airport fees, etc. Antonio will give you the final fee, inclusive of the insurance and all taxes and fees. We rented a Jetta for the whole week and upon arrival ended up switching to an Avenger for the space. The total rental cost was 290.00 for 7 days. Make sure if you contact him you say you got his name from Trip Advisor so that you can get the discount. It was very convenient to have the car because we drove down to Cabo San Lucas a lot (25 minute drive and we never saw a cow!). But we did discover that there is a bus that will take you from the Mega to the Luxury Avenue in Cabo San Lucas for $2.00. It really is up to you how much flexibility you need.

Timeshare Harrasment

We were not harassed at all at the hotel. When we checked in we were asked at concierge if we wanted to sit through a presentation. She asked if she could call to follow up and I told her yes. We never heard from her...lol. At the Mega however, there is more pressure for the timeshare presentations. I simply told them I was too young and they left me alone.

To summarize, finally, my trip there was amazing. Some of my best days were when I simply lounged by the pool. Yes, things are expensive there, but it's Cabo and it's vacation. I definitely recommend a Sunset Cruise down in Cabo San Lucas, it was a blast!

The entire staff was accommodating and Victor is phenomenal.

If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to send me a message. We will be back next year!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank anichols8
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

I think the number of positive reviews says quite a lot about the quality of the resort. Great pool, good staff, wonderful drinks, great location, not far from Cabo San Lucas. We will be making a trip back to this resort regularly on holidays and working holidays as it's perfect. We booked once again with our small but favourite agency www.dcbtraveldeals.ca, and we couldn't be happier. Happy holidaying at Cabo Azul Resort everyone.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,953 reviews
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
#15 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,534 reviews

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!