“Great Room & Pools but Poor Service”
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Room & Pools but Poor Service”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My husband and I just returned from 7 days/ 6 nights at Cabo Azul. We had two other couples that joined us for the first few days. We, like many others, took advantage of the deep discounted 4 nights that they had going in Aug but added two extra nights on top of it. At first we had planned to go just the two of us but then had friends decide they wanted to go later. We were SO glad they did too because it's not exactly the fun filled resort that you could find enough to do with just the two of us for 7 days. I will start my review by saying that I am a frequent reader and reviewer on TripAdvisor and Yelp.com and am not someone to only post negative only or positive only comments.

Overall Thoughts: Like many reviews mention, this resort is still under construction and obviously causes it to be a little lacking compared to other resorts. i.e. Grand Entrance, more restaurants, etc....There are a number of things that they could step up to make up for some of the missing things. Though I was excited initially about the deep discount that we were signing up for I completely agree with some of the below reviewers that some of the guests were a little rough around the edges and it didn't give off the 4 Star feel that you would have thought you were getting. By this I mean there were many groups of college and younger teens, some of whom were trying to get us to buy them alcohol to which we refused. Our favorite times of the day were early in the morning and late evening by the pool. They played great relaxing SPA music that you could totally relax to. During the day however they blasted Classic Rock music which was not exactly relaxing though it was catering to the couple of college age groups that were there.

Rooms/Decor: I couldn't be more pleased and in awe when I first arrived about the whole look of the resort. They definitely invested the money in every detail of the rooms, the pools, and overall decor. The room was absolutely beautiful and the large glass doors leading to the deck were perfect for late night entertainment. We were informed we got an "upgrade" to a pool side room. We really did have a great view of the pools. Our friends were not as lucky and had the "Construction View". I never went to see it but heard other people complaining about that particular view. I was very happy with our room, the beds and all the amenities of the kitchen. As someone mentioned before the lighting in the bathroom could use a little work and I would've loved a floor length mirror. Little things, didn't make or break the trip at all.

Service: At first we thought the service was exceptional. From the time we booked it we had several follow up letters, emails and phone calls. I'm not sure that this was the resort however but actually the 3rd party US company. When we checked in we were ready for the "time share" talk and we stood our ground that we weren't interested. Even the discounts that they threw out there were good but just not worth it to waste time on our vacation. After our first time of turning it down he asked us if he could call us and ask again later in the week for which we kindly declined. We would be asked a handful more times that week if we had taken the tour yet. Once we said no, it was like an "Oh, okay" disappointed look on their face. They would try to talk us into it again and we would kindly decline. The first few times were fine but by the end we were like okay, enough it enough. Some people are just not interested and having every waiter ask for our discount card every meal did not make us want to do it any more it just annoyed us. We also would echo some of the below concerns of lack of organization from the front desk and concierge. They dialed our room number I guess by mistake several times from anything to telling us we were late to our time share tour (which we did not sign up for) to calling us to talk about our excursion with the dolphins (which we again had never signed up for). Just odd things like that. I think by the end of the trip we were pretty annoyed with any little thing that went wrong and who knows if the staff could feel our frustration. It could be a coincidence but on our last night before we left after all these other bad service experiences, the next day we came back to an uncleaned room. I was so disappointed because I was ready to take pics of the room before we left. We were back in our room to get ready for dinner but I called anyways because of course we needed towels, etc. I wanted to let them know that it was never cleaned. They initially blamed us for putting the "Do not Disturb" on the door, which we did not, and they eventually said they just didn't get to it. They would've come then but of course we didn't want anyone coming while we were trying to relax and get ready for dinner.

Excursions/Service Again: We were very excited to plan a great excursion as a group and then my husband and I would do another one when our friends left. We really wanted to Snorkel as a group. My husband and I are frequent snorkelers and have been everywhere from the UVI, BVI, Mexico, Hawaii, etc to do it. We told the concierge that we were looking to do a great group snorkel on a boat. There is still much debate whether I specifically said I wanted to go on a Catamaran or didn't say one way or the other but Catamaran we did not get it. We were given two options which we were told the only difference was one had transportation from the resort included and one didn't. We picked the one with transp included and that was that we were going on a glass bottom boat tour with Rancho Tours. Worst excursion of my life. This I do not necessarily blame everything on Rancho Tours, they did perform the crappy service that we unfortunately signed up for. When we got to the Marina to go on this glass bottom boat, we were astonished to be standing in front of a small, old awful boat that indeed did have two glass windows on the floor. We, the 6 of us, were jammed on the small boat with 15 other people and headed out to what we had signed up for a snorkel at Lovers beach and a tour of the famous "Arch". We were out there in this choppy water with people getting sick on our little boat trying to get to the Arch. We were dodging a thousand boats in this crowded area. We would stop a couple of times to see if we could see anything through the glass bottom. The guide would say "Aye yi yi look at the fishes" over and over and over. He was calling whatever fish he saw Nemo and calling some fish the wrong kind of fish. He would say look at that Angel Fish when it was clearly not an Angel Fish. We finally got through the choppy waters, passed Lovers beach which there were only a few people laying on the beach, and went to Pelican Beach aka Nightmare Beach. When we inquired about why we weren't stopping at Lovers they said no Pelican, no Pelican. What?? We then went to Pelican where we almost hit a few snorkelers and a few boats like ours coming in and out. The place was insane. Probably a small beach that could host about 30 people comfortably was hold almost 200 people and another 200 people in the water snorkeling off the beach. We were led by someone into the water to snorkel where we were now dodging people and boats. A few times my husband dove under the water and said when he looked up he didn't know where to go because there were people blanketing the top of the water. The water was completely cloudy because of everyone and everything right there stirring it up so the guide had to persuade the fish to come to the top with food. This was the worst snorkel ever. He was going down and scaring the hell out of blowfish that he kept grabbing for us to hold. I felt so bad for these fish that were scared for their lives. I guess it goes without saying that a lot of boats means a lot of gas in the water which we were all swimming through. It was gross. We were all fortunate enough to leave with a little jelly fish sting scar as well. I know this wasn't the guides fault but it was just adding to all the disappointment of the day. So how does this all cause us to have frustration with Cabo Azul. We expected a resort that is a "4-Star" resort would want to recommend 4-Star companies and excursions to partner with. We were so disappointed with the entire day and honestly just would've been happier by the pool. I'm sure there are some good excursions that they recommend out there but they have such a long list of "partners" that they do excursions with I would be scared that it's hit or miss. Honestly they are just trying to make a commission so the more options they have the better. I would recommend they partner with the best of the best and not recommend every company under the sun. When we returned the same person that recommended it said "How was it guys" which we instantly fired back "Awful". We seemed to get a "I told you to go on the other one I recommended" comment and an "Oh Well" attitude. My husband and I promptly cancelled our next day excursion and were told that they would see what they could do about giving some of our money back on the snorkel.....never happened. This was the most disappointing part of our trip and honestly it kind of ruined how we viewed things from then on out.

Food: Hit or miss at Javier’s. The first night we ate there it was good but second was just okay. There Guacamole all over the resort is bland and not what I was expecting for Mexico. The market and bakery is handy to have on site. Flor de Noche was great for breakfast and okay lunch. Drinks are pricey. We were told we could bring a drink or two from our room since you can buy drinks in their market but then once we did we were promptly told we needed to take our drinks back to our room. I get it, they want to make money from the bar, but just don't tell us two different stories. Also, treat everyone the same. Others did not get anything said to them. Mega Superstore being close by is great because you can put your kitchen to use which we did a couple of times. Monday night beach party was good for entertainment and drinks but food was below par for what I would've expected.

Special Experience: My husband and I decided to go eat over at the Palmilla one night and then fell in love with it so much we decided to go back the next day for lunch. We did pay a bit for food but the short experiences we had over there was the kind of service, food, class that we were hoping we were getting in going to Cabo Azul. We already got the information for Palmilla and are booking our next Cabo trip with them. It is worth it to pay their prices for their experience. We understand that they're not really in the same class of hotel but when you're not even a guest a place and they treat you better than the place that you're paying to stay, that's a problem.

Water: So the pools are amazing and without them the resort would not have much besides decor going for them. The pool beds, pods and the infinity look were definitely my favorite parts. Unfortunately for this part of San Jose the beaches are not great for swimming so that was kind of disappointing. I did know this going in but I guess didn't realize how much I missed laying on the beach in Mexico until I went over for dinner at the Palmilla. (Who do have beaches and great ones at that!) Just be ready to stay by the pool all week which is fine for many people. I would say if I was looking to just get away for 3 or 4 days by an amazing pool I would come here for that!

Spa: Pricey, too pricey for what you get. I got a great 50min massage, one of the best back massages I ever had. Definitely recommend a nice massage here! The facial was awful though. It was as if they were in a hurry and they layered it on and washed it off so fast that I was cringing. I came out of there with exfoliator in my nostrils, ears and in my hair because they had been so sloppy. Disappointed.

All in all I would say that this hotel is just in an identity crisis. I'm not sure they know who they are catering to or maybe who they are catering to now is just not who they originally intended. Again, we loved the pool and rooms but the service and other errors spoiled it a bit for us. Would I go back again? I would say...maybe. I am curious to see how Phase 2 changes this place. Hopefully the managers see the consistencies in some of these reviews about some of their staff and will try to change a few things. As I said before I think it's good for a pool vacation for 3 or 4 days maybe with the girlfriends but I don't know if I would consider it outside of that.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank EatLoveTravel08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I worte an in depth review but somehow an error occurred. This place is wonderful. the view from 2501 is the bomb. The food at Javiers was delicious and so were the other two onsite restaurants. The villas are wonderful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Billed as a four star resort, I found the staff lacking the responsiveness one finds in a four star. And the clientele - because the property is offering deeply discounted rates - you'll find a different crowd, rough around the edges. There are many properties to choose from, if I went back I'd stay mid-corridor - the views of the Sea of Cortez are breathtaking, there are many (truly) upscale properties to choose from. Three different experiences left me feeling like my privacy was invaded - and Front Desk staff merely shrugged their shoulders. The things that happened, and the response to them by staff would never happen at any other 4 star property - and I've stayed in many. Go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Pamela57
las vegas
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Everything about this place exceeded my expectations, The staff is friendly every single one of them! The food & drinks in the resort were good. The property is the most beautiful place I've ever seen, pics did no justice. It's about a 20 min. drive to Cabo San Lucas, so you'll need to arrange taxi's to get you to the other side. Other then that it was a fantastic place, as soon as you walk in you are saying "WOW".

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
OC
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Just returned from CaboAzul. Hotel is 2-1/2 years old. Hotel Staff was very good in every way. All rooms are "suite" style, a bedroom and a kitchen - livingroom. All are very spacious. A small market on the property, as well as a gym. Javier's Mexican restaurante, from California, very good, although the service is slow. The 2 biggest surprises were, 1.) the hotel is a time share. You will be asked repeatedly to go to their 2 hour, not 1-1/2, lecture. You will be offered some discounts to attend. 2.) THE HOTEL SETS THEIR OWN EXCHANGE RATES! We checked out 07/21/10. The published exchange rate was 12.7 pesos per dollar. THE HOTEL RATE WAS 11 PESOS PER DOLLAR. About a 15% difference. We were never informed as to the hotel exchange rate policy. If you want a Great meal, go to The Esperanza hotel. Not cheap, but really great food.

1 Thank SOLO60
Southern California
Reviewed July 19, 2010

The Cabo Azul Resort is absolutely beautiful. They went above and beyond making every aspect pleasing to the eye. The customer service is phenomenal. The staff are incredible with a "no problem" attitude on every request. The only drawback is the lighting in the villas. You need to bring a makeup mirror and a flashlight. The second bedroom is beautiful with great mood lighting but not practical for everyday use. We had them bring us a floor lamp which helped, but we still required a flashlight to see in the drawers and closet. The lighting in the bathroom is equally bad. Had to do makeup in the living room or it is hit and miss. No drawers in the kitchen which is just weird. Again, not practical but beautiful. I think it was designed by a man. The best part of the resort was the pools. Excellent lounge chairs with mattresses and the pool pods were incredible with mattresses and pillows. Great place for an afternoon nap. The food service at the pool and in the restaurants was expensive but excellent quality. Recommend a trip to the Mega Market. $5 taxi ride each way but well worth it. They loaded up our taxi and then the hotel staff delivered our purchases to our room. The sofa bed was very firm but very good condition. We had a great time and would recommend this hotel to others.

1 Thank VickyES
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We travel to Cabo often and actually have a timeshare at another resort (Villa del Arco). I traded w/ Interval and ended up booking us to to back to Cabo and got a 2 bedroom at Cabo Azul. We LOVE Cabo and the area and people.

Transportation: Since we are very familiar w/ the area we rented a car ahead of time at the airport. Beware, they need a large deposit on your credit card and I'm told now this is usually for those that rent at the airport locations. It is not a problem to drive in the Cabo area and actually pretty easy to get around and you do not have to rely on taxi's for everything. Our rental ended up only being $264 for a ful week. A lot cheaper than what we would have spent on taxi's. And we got to drive up to Todos Santos one day and see the sites. Parking in most of San Jose and Cabo San Lucas is free.

Timeshares: Since we already own and go to Cabo often we know all of the "tricks" thrown out there everywhere you go to get people to go to timeshare presentations. For those not familiar......... at the airport as soon as you go thru the sliding frosted doors from customs........ walk straight thru and OUT! We did get hit up at the car rental desk for a timeshare tour and even telling them you already own one and IN Cabo they still want you to. We keep telling them no and finally took one when the deal could not be beat. We had already planned on doing the ziplines with Cabo Adventures and they threw out we could get all 4 of us to do it for $100 (it runs $80 a person). So that was a deal and then they gave us $200 credit on the rental car. So taking the timeshare tour kept us from spending right at $500. So it was worth our time to do it at a different resort and got to see it. Just for kicks and the deal we got. DO NOT ACCEPT A TIMESHARE TOUR FOR JUST A 10% DISCOUNT CARD OR OTHER SMALL OFFERS. Get the BIG stuff.

Cabo Azul. We did not meet w/ their conceirge. One of the kids needed to use the restroom and since there is not one in the makeshift lobby they took us to our room. We totally skipped their presentation and besides, we had already gotten a sweet deal on the one at the car rental.

Rooms: The rooms are huge and one nice thing is they do have a dishwasher. I've noticed that most of the newer resorts in Cabo do not. No washer and dryer though like our timeshare we own has though. There are pay washers and dryers available though. Turn down service was great as was housekeeping. I must say that the service overall at the resort was great. Juan Carlos at the pool was very attentive. The only complaints I had about our room was the ceiling fan in the master bedroom made loud noises. We had to bump up the a/c and turn the fan off at night as it kept me awake as it was so loud. We did report it but there was nothing they could do. It just needs to be replaced. The other small complaint was the location of our room the view was fine but it was located too close to the a/c units and you could hear them humming even inside w/ the doors closed. We were in room 6205. Once the construciton is all complete there are going to be a lot of rooms at this resort w/ not so great views.

The wedding chapel is BEAUTIFUL!!! Check it out if you can. Great place for photo ops.

Pools were nice and you did NOT have to get up early and go stake out a lounge chair by the pool. We did notice several people that would leave the pool for the day and leave their wet towels just thrown on a chair which kept it from being "available" to others. Staff did not come by and pick them up after they had been unattended for several hours either. There seemed to be plenty of lounge chairs for everyone and the cocoon beds were kind of cool. Only thing is after one person had used them they were wet for the day. Same for the pool beds. They were cool though.

Spa. If you want a massage book it as soon as you know when you will want it. We did the couples massage and both of us did the signature massage. We did not do it on the beach but in the spa. The spa is very nice and beautiful. The massage was great. It is not a large spa at all and for the size the resort is going to be when finished it is going to be too small. Personally, I think it is too small already. I can't imagine them not building a larger spa to accomodate the size of the resort. I asked and was told they did not think so. So once the construciton is all complete and they don't build a bigger spa........ it is going to be really hard to get in there. One thing I did not care for was the lockers were RIGHT THERE at the door to the ladies and mens dressing rooms from the front desk of the spa. So if you are standing there changing and someone opens the door and there are people outside the door they can see you. Not a good design layout there.

Beach: the beach is great. No, you can't get in the water in Cabo like you can in other destinations. You can get in the water down at Medano Beach in Cabo San Lucas a little more. So go have dinner at The Office and get in the water. Or go surf down by Zippers. I LOVE the beaches in Cabo and not being able to get all the way out into the water is fine with me. You can wade in the surf though. Yes, there are vendors that stroll along the beach and hangout there for people to buy stuff. They are all licensed and the patrol comes along and checks to make sure they are. If you don't want anything then just politely say no and they will go on and leave you alone.

We only dined at Flor de Noche the first night we got there and then at the pool when we were out hanging out at the pool during lunch. FYI, chips and salsa were "on the house". Other than that we went out for dinner every night and ate breakfast in our room. There are some GREAT restaurants in San Jose and Cabo San Lucas and they so need our business. People are tending to stay on the resort properties and not venture out and there is so much to see and the cities are safe. There are a lot of Americans that live in Cabo and most of the natives speak English. Some of the places we always go to and recommend are:

La Dolce - Italian (2 locations: San Jose and Cabo San Lucas). Very good Italian and a very nice place to dine. The location in San Jose has outdoor seating available.

Cabo Wabo - in Cabo. The chips and salsa are the best in all of Cabo. Not the hard chips that other places have. Sammy's Tequila Shrimp is very good. The chicken burrito is MASSIVE. The portions are very large and on some of the plates can be split. There is also the bar downstairs and the house band is very good.

Zippers - in San Jose. On the water and you can watch the surfers. Only about 5 minutes from Cabo Azul by car. It would be a long walk. Hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, chicken basket (4 pieces of fried chicken), tacos, ribs, beer battered shrimp (Love the Big Mama platter and enough for 2 people). CASH ONLY!!! This is always the last place we go eat before we head to the airport. Free parking.

La Palapa - in Cabo. Fresh seafood dishes. Gustavo is the owner and he will make sure you are very well taken care of. Everything is made fresh. If you go fishing and catch something he will prepare it for you. The Lobster rolls are yummy. There is a paid parking lot on the cross street across from the restaurant.

The Office - in Cabo. On the beach. Your feet will literally be in the sand. More of a party atmoshpere w/ the Mango Deck and other clubs w/ games next door. The Office has a lot of great seafood dishes and steaks. They usually have specials for 2 people and sometimes that is the better deal. The steak was very good. Atmosphere is fun. The beach vendors are RIGHT there hawking their wares so if you don't want them right in front of you do not sit at the front row of tables on the beach. Free valet parking if you drive. Make reservations if you plan on eating here after 6:00.

Nic-San - down at Palmilla in the Shops at Palmilla just on the edge of San Jose. Very high end shops and resort. Sushi and very good sushi. They also offer several tempura plates and terayki plates for those that don't do sushi. Everything was very good. Don't be surprised if you see celebrities here. Very nice upscale dining w/o being stuffy. A nice pair of shorts and top is all that is needed. Depending on what you get this could be the least expensive meal you have while in Cabo. Free parking.

Groceries: We went to The Mega which is right down the street. Saw a few people that walked it and only carrying a bag or two. We were there for an entire week so we drove. I packed my reusable grocery bags and we used those and it makes it a lot easier to carry groceries back to the room. Especially when some of them are full of drinks and can be very heavy. They do not have margarita mix which is a downer but they have everything else you could possibly need. Prices were much lower than the market on the premises of the resort.

Activities:
Ziplining w/ Cabo Adventures was AWESOME!!! Highly recommend the activity and this company. If you can get a deal thrown at you by a timeshare to do this really cheap like we did then do it. If you are only going to be in Cabo for a few days and not a long week then skip the timeshare to do the ziplining and other activities. Go early as it can get very hot out there. Wear comfortable clothes and shoes for walking uphill and across the rope. SUNSCREEN.

ATV or dune buggies: We did not do it this trip but have in the past. Wear clothes you don't mind throwing away or getting totally dirty and not coming completely clean. You will need closed toed shoes, a bandana for your face and wear long shorts or pants.

I would recommend Cabo Azul for others to stay at and I love Cabo itself. Been going for years and do not like having to leave.

7 Thank momof2dfw
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,023 reviews
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
#15 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,600 reviews

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!