“THE place to stay in Los Cabos”
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Our stay at the Cabo Azul Resort and Spa was truly amazing. Everything from the beautiful, immaculate villa, the excellent service, the food, and several amenities (the Paz Spa experience is a must), was more than we had anticipated. We were especially impressed by the attention to detail and the beautiful water and fire designs incorporated throughout the property - creating a serene and relaxing atmosphere. We are definitely planning a return visit!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 11, 2010

Got back from Cabo Azul a few days ago, and had a wonderful stay. This was my fourth trip to Los Cabos, and overall, I thought it was a wonderful resort -- definitely on a par with the other luxury places I've stayed.

Fortunately, I was upgraded from a 1 BD/1 BA to a 2 BD/2 BA, which gave my friend and me the individual space we needed. And the promotional rate we received through Travelzoo was outstanding, so I was content with the partial ocean view, vs. full.

This resort is booked at about 40% occupancy for January and February, so noise late at night was not too bad. The kitchens are nicely equipped (great to have a blender for margaritas) and having the modern, clean Mega Market within a 15-minute walk is very convenient. The on-site food and drinks are pricey; ate at Javier's one night, and then took greater advantage of the kitchen after that.

The units are well appointed, but lighting is rather poor and bath towels for the master bath are on a decorative ladder in the bedroom. Clearly, aesthetics were given greater priority than functionality in this regard. The bathrooms are so dim that putting on makeup (and for men, shaving) is a challenge. And it's a little tricky to read in bed the way the draped fabric blocks the already fairly dim lighting over the night tables. When I mentioned this to the concierge, she said this is a daily complaint. So it really should be remedied.

My other beef is a lack of ice machines. Never have I heard of this, esp. at a 4-Diamond resort. Very surprising, esp. since there are ice buckets in the rooms. You have to either request that a bellman bring ice to your room, or trek to the bar at Javier's to get some yourself. The only explanation I can think of is that this is a ploy to get you to buy drinks at the bars instead. Whatever the reason, it - like the lighting situation - should be addressed. There is space for ice machines in laundry rooms; this would be a convenient location for guests.

I attended the timeshare presentation, which (of course), I was told would be only 90 min. long. In fact, two employees said I could set my cell phone alarm and leave after 90 min. But one of the hostesses in the hospitality suite (where the tours begin) made a point of asking me what I had planned afterwards -- and seemed disconcerted when I told her I was going to leave after 90 min. if not interested in buying. Employees should really get in sync on what they tell guests re the investment of their vacation time that will be required.

I have been to around ten of these presentations on various trips to Mexico, and I've gotta say that this was the least painful so far. (At another Cabo property, part of a large area group whose initials are PB, the "closer" actually dangled sex with a married salesman as an enticement.) My salesman at Cabo Azul was very personable, no-BS, and not overly heavy-handed with his pitch (though telling me that Cabo was mentioned on "Seinfeld" - now a decade off-the-air - did not impress).

Had the concierge book two activities (an ATV ride and Wild Adventures zip tour; both great), which was convenient. My only feedback here is that the high taxes apply to tours too; this was news when I received my invoice.

San Jose proved to be a really pleasant and tranquil location. I would stay there again. Ate dinner at Habanero's one night and thought the food was delicious. Loved the blueberry mojito and "Sea and Sea" dinner for two. Totally worth the $.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank webwriter
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We stayed at the Cabo Azul Resort with our 5 month old as part of a wedding party. This new property is beautiful and has all the amenities. The staff was very friendly and accommodating (we changed rooms upon arrive because my wife preferred an ocean view instead of the courtyard). Since the resort is also a timeshare, all of the ‘Villas’ have full-size refrigerators, dishwashers, stoves, etc. There is a ‘general store’ onsite (with GREAT chips and salsa) and a Mega-mart w/in a short walk.
For weddings…the chapel at Cabo Azul resort looks over the three-tiered pool and then the ocean. It is a very scenic (and surprisingly private) venue (and has a drop-down cross or star of David, or nothing I’m sure, depending on your beliefs).
Of course the resort is right on the ocean, so a salt-water swim is not far away, but the biggest draw is the amazing pool(s) they have. I spent many hours lounging by the pool and even though you are at a top-notch resort, you are still in Mexico, so the food & beverage bills are reasonable.
Since we were so busy with wedding stuff, we didn’t get much of a chance to expo San Jose del Cabo (where Cabo Azul Resort is located) or the nearby Cabo San Lucas. But the few times we did, it was a lot of fun and definitely felt safe.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Cabo Azul has everthing for a romantic and relaxing trip. The rooms, service and property are second to none. The town San Jose is only a 3 minute and 5 dollar taxi ride from the resort, its safe, charming and has so many great resturants. Of course it very diffacult to leave Cabo Azul Javiers is awesome and the market has good prices on wine.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mumbles1
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I usually don't write reviews on these sites but I wanted to make this my first review... Cabo Azul is BEAUTIFUL! By far the best Resort that I have ever stayed at!!!! The service is great, the rooms are incredible(we stayed in the penthouse), and the food is terrific!!!!! I wouldn't have changed one thing about the trip. My fiance and I are actually going to get married at the Resort in 2011!

My only tip... Buy drinks at The Mega- cocktails can add up at the Resort so it will save you some $$$$$$

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank HollaKB
Reviewed November 10, 2009

My whole review just got deleted by accident, but all I can say is this place is incredible in every aspect. I highly highly reccomend it!!!!! Can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Absolutely gorgeous.... The rooms are amazing- spacious, modern decor. Very Very romantic. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The pool is beautiful and so is the beach. Take note before travel that the rip-tides in this area are very dangerous- we were NOT permitted to go in the ocean which was a minus. The food in the restaurants here was definitely enjoyable. Perfect for a couples getaway/honeymoon. San Jose del Cabo is very private and remote, so also take note of this if you are looking to stay right in the middle of action/bars. If this is what you want, find a place in Cabo San Lucas.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#3 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!