“Loved It”

Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
San Leandro, CA
“Loved It”
Reviewed December 14, 2008

My boyfriend and I aboslutely fell in love with the resort and the resort really made our stay in the Cabo area wonderful. Our package included airport transportation and the shuttle was there when we arrived. Check-in was a bit hectic because there was a lot of people arriving at the same time. We were taken to the concierge who explained everything about the resort and the various activities offered in the area. I'm not sure if it's because we're young or if it was just that concierge, but she did not even mention anything about the timeshare or in any way push for us to attend a presentation/tour. She provided us with the vouchers included in our package (2 drinks plus $75 dining certificate). She just told us to contact them for whatever we arrangments or assistance we need. We were then taken to the inside of the resort and I just could not stop smiling because of how beautiful everything was.

The staff was wonderful the entire time, always smiling and asking if there is anything we needed help with. The villa is beautiful. We spent hours near the pool in one of the pods which is great for people with easily burned skin. The only thing that bugged me a bit about the resort was the dim lighting (sometimes I just want bright lighting so I can see) and the music that they play from early morning (7AM) to night (11PM). My villa was on the first floor and I could hear the music faintly in the backgroud; not enough to keep me awake or wake me up but I imagine some people may have trouble with it. The positivies greatly outweigh those two issues though and they did add to the whole romantic / sexy vibe of the place.

Not impressed with the food, at Javiers or Flor de Noche, but it was adequate. Cabo San Lucas itself was alright. We did the sunset cruise which was fun. Other than that I was annoyed by constantly being approached by people trying to sell something but a firm "No" did fine. San Jose del Cabo is more charming and more quieter - we walked there from the resort in a short amount of time.

Check-out and the ride back to the airport went smoothly without a hitch. We were provided a sheet with all incidental charges listed the night before check out so that we could verify everything before hand if we wanted. All in all we had a wonderful time and for the price we paid it was absolutely exceptional.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed December 6, 2008

All I can say is that this hotel is "sexy, sexy, sexy". The property and our villa took our breath away. The pool is the centerpiece of this resort and we found ourselves here all day, everyday, even on the day we checked out. Since we had never been to Cabo before, we didn't realize it is not really for children. There were a few other guests with children and everyone we encountered were friendly to our little ones, age 1 and 3, but you got the feeling that people came here for rest and relaxation and some adult time. The staff was more than friendly and the food was amazing! We only paid $599 thru Travelzoo and we'll definitely return without our kids next time :)

Our only complaint is that the locals kept trying to sell us their goods or services from the time we landed at the San Jose Del Cabo airport to anytime we were not in the hotel and that took away from the beauty of Cabo.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Constance022
Austin
Reviewed December 2, 2008

Our experience with Cabo Azul was lovely until we actually arrived at the San Jose del Cabo airport. It was utter chaos, and between the time we were finally shown to a shoddy van with a bunch of loud Sammy-Hagar lovin' tourists and when we arrived at Cabo Azul, hot and tired with two young kids, two of our bags had disappeared. We were ushered like cattle to a hot waiting area, no one offered us any refreshment or hospitality of any sort, just lots of telling us what not to do.

It gets much, much worse- to the point- when we were finally shown to our room, which looks like it's been decorated from the West Elm catalog circa 2005, there was a stripe of poop down the master bed. I kid you not. A confused maid came to change the comforter, but no offer to move us, no apology, no nothing.

The beach is the worst stretch of tourist hell- if you want to be around a bunch of drunk Americans, go there for sure. The place is tacky tacky tacky and they don't have their act together in the least.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank OliverScott
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 24, 2008

My girlfriend and I booked our stay at Cabo Azul through a great deal on Travelzoo. Not knowing much about the place, we first checked here on TripAdvisor for the latest reviews and info, so thanks are in order to all who've posted.

I suppose I'll just start from the top: when we arrived in San Jose, we were all prepared for the timeshare onslaught to begin immediately. To be sure, it did, but a simple "No gracias" did the job. Our package included airport transfers so I can't offer much in the way of advice in that area.

When we first pulled into the hotel, we could see the construction out front (ton of construction going on in that area of San Jose anyway) but what awaited us inside was pure heaven. Seriously, I didn't think the "stock" photos could be so accurate, but they are. What you see is truly what you get at this place.

They clearly think they are some kind of slick at the reception desk, telling you that the concierge will give you your room key after a ten minute "welcome session". Kind of unavoidable, it seemed, but in actuality it was well worth it. The concierge told us a little about the area and then attempted to get us to commit to a breakfast timeshare pitch the next day. We kindly said no, and he didn't press too hard. If you're interested, what you get when you attend the session is a "VIP" card that gets you discounted rates to excursions in the area, and we were offered a free dinner cruise. Mmm, no thanks. We did get our vouchers for things included in our package (two free drinks at the bar, $75 at Javiers, and $50 to use for whatever we wanted) and headed off to the room.

Not really sure why, but they gave us a two bedroom villa instead of just one. We danced around like idiots in the gleaming space, smirking over our good fortune. (We paid a mere $599 for four nights!) Everything has already been said about the rooms, pool and surrounding landscape. Immaculate. Blissful. Relaxing.

What impressed me most was the obvious craftsmanship that really shows in many areas of the resort. For example, I've been to a lot of "4 and 5 star" hotels that were so shoddily put together that the shower stalls don't drain properly. Here, the glass door seals adequately and the drain is positioned such that the water -GASP- actually goes down the drain!!! I can't tell you how many vacations I have spent lamenting the soapy nasty water going everywhere EXCEPT where it's supposed to. Not the case at Cabo Azul.

Also, the omnipresent dark wood you see in all the photos? It's ACTUAL WOOD. (Trust me, I knocked on everything I could get my hands on) Yeah, what a novel idea-- finally someone furnishing a hotel decided NOT to shop at Ikea. AND, to top it all off, every single morning we had breakfast on the patio and saw tons of people maintaining the property. Watering the plants, trimming, cleaning... I really felt like an indulgent jerk when I saw the gentleman *polishing the copper trash bin lids* as I sunbathed poolside. (The poolside bar's strong margarita helped me feel less guilty.)

We did the same thing as most, and ventured to the Mega to buy groceries and save on eating costs. It was not only cost effective but fun. My girlfriend got super excited when she saw her favorite Mexican cheese so cheap... then she brought it home and realized it wasn't so tasty when you just eat a hunk of it. Hilarious.

Not sure if this is typical or not (the last timeshare place I stayed at did not do this) but after I left the housekeeping staff $10, all of our dishes were cleaned every day. Javier's was stunning in terms of atmosphere, but the food was just okay. (Tasted better knowing we were getting $75 off though...)

Off-resort we took our rental car (which we booked on site for pretty reasonable, in my opinion) to Cabo San Lucas two separate days and enjoyed that very much. Took the dinner cruise that was offered to us upon check-in but still got the discounted rate even though we never took the timeshare presentation. Sweet! Rented wave runners (couldnt seem to haggle past $80/hr. which still nags at me) and had beers along the marina.

A little disheartening that every peddler in CSL seemed to be equally interested in a) selling their actual wares, b) selling us weed and coke, and c) generally ogling my girlfriend. But, what can ya do?

We attempted to make it into San Jose one day, but walked a bit and got confused about where the action was. There were a few hundred schoolkids running around and neither of us really felt the vibe so we just walked back to the resort. Ate lunch though, and it was tasty. (La Fonda? La Fanda? Jane Fonda? Something like that.)

The long and short of it is, if you can score a great deal, RUN, do not walk, to Cabo Azul. We never so much as heard a noise or saw a hammer from the construction area. Do be careful though-- no railings into the pool and especially at night the dark bottom can be tricky. Older folks, if mobility is an issue for you, you may want to consider it. Looked a wee bit dangerous to me.

Go to Cabo Azul, buy "integral flakes" at the Mega (they will keep you oh so regular and taste delightful), and bring a few non-glass cups to transport your adult beverage to the pool. That is my best advice. Adios!

8 Thank five0
Santa Maria, CA
Reviewed November 21, 2008

We got a good deal on this place on their website. It looks just like the photos. It truly is a beautiful property. Quiet, romantic and elegant. I liked the food but the prices were equivalant to S. California prices.Buy your food at the Mega and cook your own or walk to the Local Eight a 5 min walk. We had 2 dinners, desert, water, and 3 drinks for just under $50. The beer was cheaper than the water! I agree with the poster who mentioned that the lighting is subdued and there are a lot of level changes. In the rooms however I discovered the dimmer switches and found I could brighten the lighting in the room.

The staff was attentive and friendly without being obtrusive.We didn't have any problems with booking or billing. We did attend a presentration of their timeshare program but it wasn't required on the package we bought. I found them to be professional, but since others have reported a negative experiance it may be luck of the draw on that. Avoid the time share presentation at the Grand Mayan next door. They are an obnoxious hard sell. It isn't worth your time to torture yourself.

• Liked — beauty, attentive staff, tranquility
2 Thank Robin B
Nashville, TN
Reviewed November 13, 2008

We had an absolute blast at Cabo Azul and the resort is beautiful. I would point out that the design of the resort is super romantic but the lighting throughout the common areas is so dim that steps and drop-offs are accidents waiting to happen. Our group of 40 people recorded 2 broken noses and a set of fractured ribs - alcohol and lighting played equal parts. I cannot stress enough how difficult the front desk staff is to deal with. I was told there is no way to get a receipt of charges at check out - ARE YOU KIDDING? Still waiting on that receipt 4 weeks later although my card was charged promptly...go figure. There is no way or no how to follow up once you leave the resort - I cannot find 1800 #'s anywhere to discuss this issue. If resort is reading this - still waiting for my charge breakdown to be sent to my email as promised - cj10se@comcast.net. Make it happen...can’t believe I'm resorting to Trip Advisor to reconcile my credit card statement.

• Stayed October 2008
2 Thank CJ10SE
portland, or
Reviewed November 8, 2008

I booked a 4 night stay package for $699 through Luxury Link. I didn't expect much for the price, but once we got to the resort...HOLY FRIJOLE! This place is GORGEOUS! From my past reviews you'll know that I'm all about design, design, design. I was so taken by the aesthetics, architecture and details that I nearly changed my Bali wedding plans to have it in their monolithic chapel. Dodd Mitchell designed the interiors and I'm sure he is the one responsible for the chapel and Javiers restaurant, but his use of scale, materials and texture is mind-blowing. You'll love the two fully sound-proofed sliding doors that magically disappear into the wall and open up to your own balcony. And we wanted to take home the pool 'cacoons' if only they collapsed into our luggage. Oh, and the spa...the coolest I've seen in a long time.

The worst I can say about the rooms is that the luxurious pillowtop beds are too soft for my back. No biggie. The timeshare presentation? Ack. Really high pressure, but they threw in a couple of massages. Hold your ground. Meals and drinks are expensive (about $75-100/couple/meal), so we spent $100 at the Mega supermarket and got 6 meals out of it by cooking in our villa, and filling our water bottles with homemade margaritas by the pool. Bring your Mexican recipes for the best deal on ingredients - there is no fresh basil and pasta is pricey). Dinner in town will also set you back $100/couple. The spa is also about $100/50 mins for a massage; the price is ok but not great.

What's suprising is that we will definitely be back many many times, especially with friends and family. And that is the FIRST time I've ever said that about any place in Mexico.

• Liked — Design and convenience
  • Disliked — Expensive food and drink, having to pay for internet
2 Thank keryninbali
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#14 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
#15 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!