“Peaceful Resort in San Jose Del Cabo!”
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was my first time visiting this resort and I would definitely go back. The hotel was beautiful. The atmosphere was very relaxing and peaceful. The rooms were spacious and clean. The vibe at the beach and the pool was very calm. The staff was very courteous. They had restaurants onsite in addition to a market. I can't say enough good things about this resort. Oh and the sheets and pillows were perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kavallone
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

We love to share tailor made attention to detail as well as our sincere appreciation to all of our guests and exclusive vacation club members. Cordially, Jean-Louis

Write a ReviewReviews (1,823)

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a beautiful property from the entrance, to the chapel, to the pools, grounds and decor. The lounge chairs are comfortable, the pool staff is extremely attentive-especially Darinel...with helping set up towels, move chairs and setting up sun umbrellas. The food at the resort is delicious, especially the breakfast with our great waiter Francisco and the close proximity to many other restaurants off the property is a huge convenience.

I thought the rooms(we stayed in a 2-bdrm villa) were very chic and dark. As much as I loved the decor and the comfortable beds, the lighting is an issue. Luckily there was a flashlight in the kitchen to assist in helping locate our clothes and any other things we were looking for.

The staff for the most part were always attentive and happy to help in any way. Any time I went to move my lounger or umbrella to get out of the sun, someone was there to do it for me.

The only real problem that we encountered was when we booked online, unbeknownst to me at the time, we were given a $30 credit towards breakfast. When we checked in no one said anything about it and I had actually forgot. But when I was looking at my print out confirmation that I brought with me a few days later, noticed it was there. I went to the front desk to ask about it and she printed me off some coupons. When we went for breakfast, our waiter hadn't a clue what the coupon was for. Then upon checkout, they hadn't applied $30 credit/per day towards our bill. I think they were very confused and luckily I caught it....as I was almost just as confused by there billing, upon checkout. Luckily I requested a copy of the bill a few hours before checkout to go over it.
All in all a fabulous resort...the pros definitely out way the few cons.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

From the moment you arrive, our team members will make themselves available to you with a smile and knowledgeable efficiency. Cordially, Jean-Louis and Team Members

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We just returned from a week at Cabo Azul. What a gorgeous resort. The pools were fabulous and the views spectacular. We saw whales spouting and breaching from our balcony. The food was good a great. Just down the street was a bird sanctuary which I used for my daily walk. We are anxious to return.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff097

Cabo Azul is a lovely cozy place in the heart of San Jose where impeccable service and friendly attention to detail is daily offered. Cordially, Jean-Louis and team members.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I had a fantastic time lounging by the pool, eating the food soaking up the sun and enjoying the company. The service was amazing and everyone was so personable. The beach and sunsets in the area are picture perfect, as is the resort. At night the tone is set with fire lighting up around the pools, a nice added touch. I felt comfortable, safe and at ease while visiting here and the local town; where many artists have set up shop. This is a wonderful place for families and people of all ages looking to relax! Unfortunately, I do not have my photos processed yet but you will have to go and see for yourself!

Room Tip: even the pull out couch beds are comfortable, if a two bedroom isnt available
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Our team members are very happy to read that their service is so well appreciated. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence. With best personal regards, Jean Louis

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Top notch accommodations in a beautiful location. Fire and Water themes. Very relaxing, high quality and very clean. Pools and Hot tubs and beach choices right there. Staff were very attentive. Rooms were well appointed and bedrooms very romantic. Lighting was more set for mood than makeup !! But very well done.
Lots of food and drinks choices at the resort but also a few good places in walking distance too for variety.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TA following your recent stay in Cabo Azul. We are delighted to read your great review post your stay with us. Cordially, Jean-Louis and team members

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Let me start out by saying the resort is visually absolutely stunning, the rooms are huge and sun loungers comfortable and everything said in previous reviews about how wonderful Abrahim is is true and the staff are on the whole friendly and polite .
However I can't help leaving here feeling really disappointed. We arrived late due to problems with our flight and upon arrival were shown to room 6205. We had booked a pool view 2 bed suite. The view from this room involved lots of trees and a wall , if you opened the patio doors all you could hear was a wall of sound from the resort's air conditioning unit. We immediately requested a room change but were told none were available and they would do their best to move us the next day. The next morning I went to reception and was greeted by an incredibly rude receptionist (to be fair the only rude member of staff we met.) We were eventually moved but not without having no access to a room for several hours.
Even without the bad start there are just too many other little things that arent quite right for me to give this place a better review. When you read other comments about the lighting you think people are just being picky but after a while the poor lighting drives you nuts. It was so dark in our children's room that we had to move their clothes to our room as they couldn't see what they were putting on. Its nothing a couple of extra watt light bulbs and a dimmer switch couldn't solve but it becomes really annoying. The internet (extra cost) is sporadic at best. We have our own company and as such need regular access to email etc , we couldn't get this without moving locations regularly and signing in to different wifi services. I believe they are changing their service provider but that didn't help us and we still ending up paying for a lousy service.
There is an 18% gratuity applied to everything , which when you come from Europe where 5-10% is the norm already seems high. I don't mind paying what is expected locally for service I would just like to decide whether or not the service actually deserves it.
Also if you aren't an owner or don't drink the timeshare Koolaid you are treated almost like a second class citizen. We had been to see the concierge about an activity , pricing etc but when I went back to confirm I was told the pricing was wrong and the activity became $50 more expensive as I wasn't an 'owner'.. This is wrong on so many levels. I booked this place as on the web site it seems like a regular luxury hotel and again, coming from Europe where we dont do the whole timeshare thing I didn't understand how being just a regular paying guest put you at such a disadvantage.
There is no designated children's pool and our kids were often told to stop acting like children (i.e. no jumping , no pool toys etc). On the subject of the pool they play the same music over and over and over, much as I love Enya to hear the same songs three times in one day becomes wearing.
This place has the potential to be amazing , and I am sure as an owner its fab but as a mere paying guest I have to say I won't be rushing back .

4  Thank Claire M
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and rest assure we’ll change your perception for good on your next visit. Cordially, Jean-Louis and team members

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Almost everything about this resort was amazing. I'll throw out the one big caveat right up front that may keep us from returning, you can't swim at the beach. We really enjoy ocean activities and while the beach is beautiful you can't go in the water. Put this resort in a another part of Baja or in Hawaii and we'd already be booking our return. If that's not a big deal to you then you'll love this place.

We were upgraded to a 3 bedroom, 3 bath with a pool/ocean view. Everything about the room was amazing. It was 3000ish square feet with a huge deck with plenty of seating. Kitchen appliances all looked new and were in great working condition. Bathrooms are all huge. Two of the bedrooms had ensuite bathrooms with bathtubs that could be considered small hot tubs. The master bath had a double headed shower. The living area had an L shaped couch and a large lounging couch that could have been used as a bed for a kid. The water in the fridge is filtered and drinkable which is nice.

There are 5 large pools so there's something there for everyone including a swim up bar at one. They are finishing 2-3 other wings of the resort and once that's done I would be worried about seating at the pool during the high season. Service at the pool was efficient and friendly.

The staff is incredibly nice and always had a smile. There was rarely a wait at the concierge, front desk or pool.

You can walk a mile in either direction on the beach but like I said above you can't get in the water.

We only used the spa facilities to shower on our last day but they looked impressive with a lot of different options. My wife did get a free 5 minute massage twice by the pool and she said they were some of the best she's ever had.

The onsite restaurants are good but not spectacular. Most people either got up late or fixed breakfast in their rooms because we rarely saw more than 3-4 groups eating in the morning.

If you plan to head to any beaches off property you should bring your own beach towels. For reasons I don't understand the resort won't let you take the pool towels off site. Instead they give you small cheap plain white towels that are not suited to lying on. Compared to the rest of the resort and others in this class it seems very low budget.

Overall this was one of the nicest places we've visited with gorgeous amenities and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Buildings 1 and 7 are closest to the ocean followed by 2 and 6. We had room 2605 and I would happily...
1  Thank Mike K
Jean Louis M, General Manager at Cabo Azul Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

We are thrilled to read we exceeded your vacation expectations in full.
Cordially, Jean-Louis and team members