“Beautiful Resort”

Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Jackson Heights, New York
“Beautiful Resort”
Reviewed August 22, 2008

Stayed at the resort for 5 days. It is a beautiful resort at least the part that is complete. It is still under construction but it did not affect our stay whatsoever except for one afternoon when the power went out in our room. We were initially given room #6102 which was a gardenview/pool room which would have been fine with us but it was too dark and the only view we had was of a huge rock. We called the front desk to express how unhappy we were and they changed our room to #1205. It was on the second floor on the otherside of the resort. The room had a view of the pool and a partial oceanview. The first day we arrived we went to Mega Mart ($5 cab ride) and fully stocked our refrigerator with beer, water, steak, eggs, milk, etc.... The minimart in the hotel while convenient was expensive. FYI: Everywhere you go in Los Cabos, whether its at Megamart, Cabo San Lucas, Paraiso Mall, San Jose town, you will be approached by pesky, aggressive timeshare vendors that will hound you as you shop offering you all kinds of promises to spend half your day sitting through a timeshare presentation. Two places, I would recommend for dinner are La Panga (in San Jose) and Javiers at Cabo Azul. Cabo Azul positives: beautiful resort on the quite side of Los Cabos, great spa, beautifully appointed villas with a full kitchen set up with utensils, pots, glasses, etc.. , awesome infinity pools with a swim up bar, nice and helpful staff Negatives: AC in the villas are not as cool as I would have liked, Rooms are too dark, Resort is still under construction, far from Cabo San Lucas ($70 US Roundtrip cab ride), cannot swim in the beach due to strong rip tide.

• Liked — beautiful resort
  • Disliked — room too dark and AC not cool enough
1 Thank bvelez9685

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Burbank, Ca
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Even though the resort is in the last stages of completion... (the reception/concierge and some villas) the resort is the most beautiful and amazing places I have ever stayed. The construction did not bother us.. .we never heard anything... and we had been told up front that they werent complete yet... thats why they have the great specials!
Not only are the staff so completely helpful ( the airline had lost my luggage and they went above a beyond at the resort to help us)... The villas are beautiful.. pool..... speechless! In the evening they light torches throughout the entire resort... it is absolutely romantic!!!! The food was great... one review said at the Flor de Noche food wasnt good.... I dont know what planet they are from... but it was excellent... and the salsa.... yuuum! The service was wonderful... they came around and checked on us all the time... bringing fresh towels... it was 5 star all the way! It was so wonderful as soon as we got home we planned another trip to go back in September!
The one and only compaint I had was that the bedrooms and bathrooms didnt have enough light... but they said that they are working on that and will bring lamps to you at your request. And some may not like that it isnt right in the middle of Cabo... but it didnt bother us at all... they have car rebtal on site... and the cab ride isnt too bad.
All in all... the resort gets an A++++ from me!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank dmunoz67
Michigan
Reviewed August 17, 2008

The Cabo Azul Resort & Spa is simply amazing. We booked it through an introductory special on the hotel website for an amazing rate for a 5-star resort. I would pay more to go back.
The rooms were beyond expectations - and we were in a the smallest Suite without a garden view. I expected to get something much smaller and less beautiful than what is pictured on the website, but what we got was incredible. Huge room with full equipped kitchedn, living room, bathroom with a great shower, and master bedroom with full size hot tub right in the room. What blew us away was the lighting. They paid attention to every little detail when they designed the resort, and the cool decor, lighting, and designs will keep you looking around in awe. There's also dimmer swithes on everything, so you can always set the perfect mood.
Outside the room was just as amazing as in it. The 3-tier infinity pool with swim-up bar is a dream come true. The cabanas and pool-side chairs are amazingly comfy and the pool is perfectly designed for lazily floating around all day. At night there are really creative torches and fire pits that light up to create another great atmosphere - and you can stay out by the pool to all hours!
The restaraunt with the swim-up bar "Flor de Noche" has good (Americanized) food, but delicous salsa and great margaritas! (we we had plenty of). The staff was friendly and courteous, and they didn't push the time-share presentation more than asking one time and we declined.
It was clean, beautiful, and a dream come true.
The lobby is under construction, but the construction didn't really bother us. You can't see it much from the pool, and there's construction all over Cabo everywhere you look anyway. When that lobby is done though, you can tell it is going to be REALLY cool. I hope we can get back to see it.
Great location close to downtown ($5 cab ride) to San Jose Del Cabo, which is a great little town with wonderful restaraunts and shops. We loved this resort!!

• Liked — The amazing room and lighting.
  • Disliked — The margaritas were $12 each. Ouch.
3 Thank Nycole52
Hacienda Heights, Ca
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I visited Cabo Azul during the last week of July and absolutely loved it. I first contacted their parent company, Pacific Monarch Resorts, on the phone. I made the reservations and within seven days I was emailed all of the information needed for my trip. My package came with transportation to and from the airport. This was a relief after seeing all of the transportation people in the terminal.
The grounds are not quite finished, but are still beautiful. The check-in desk and concierge are currently located in a converted room. This was not a big deal because I don't base my experience on those locations. Does anybody really spend that much time in the check-in area? The grounds are extensive and you can find yourself a bit lost at times. After a day or two, you will get your bearings. And whenever I found myself lost, I would ask a staff member and they were more than happy to lead me to my destination. The concierge was very helpful in booking all my activities. The pools were amazing! I loved the swim up bar. One thing I did not like was that it was so far from Cabo San Lucas, which was about a 30 minute cab ride. We rented a car from the hotel for 24 hours. That worked out better for the ride back and forth and it was a reasonable price too! I will be back to this resort. I hope you enjoy!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angelcheer9
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2008

Folks,

We just returned from a week long vacation at Cabo Azul resort and Spa in San Jose Del Cabo. This place was truly amazing. The other reviewers already noted a key point that construction is still going on, but the place is fully functional and most of the construction is really hidden from sight.

Once you arrive, you do check in at a temporary loby. To me, the positive level of service was still rendered and I would not have know the difference if the construction was complete or not. I must say though, My wife and I traveled to the resort by ourselves(via transport service). If you arrive with a group or you are bused in with a bunch of people, you can expect to wait due to the limited number of staff they have to check you in and the size of the temporary loby so plan/expect accordingly.

The staff was truly amazing! you must meet Georgio, one the main pool attendants. He, along with everyone else, ensures that you are comfortable and relaxed. They will bring you towls, drinks or food. Simply look or raise a hand and they are there!

Our rooms were phenominal! One of the best places I have stayed at and I travel quite a bit for work. We were told that we had a basic villa, but by my standards, this was one of the best places I have stayed at yet. I posted pics. The rooms are very spacious with fully-equiped kitchens, hot tubs in the bed rooms and even a suround sound movie theater system that plays DVD (so bring a favorite movie along!).

The beach was very peacful and the sounds of the Sea of Cortez crashing on the beach was awesome! You can not swim in the water due to the strong tides, but you always have the beatiful 3-level infinity pool to soak in. The bottom pool is great for lap-swim early in the morning so bring you goggels!

The Spa at Cabo Azul was very nice. Fully complete with Saunas, steam room, relaxation rooms, hot tubes and cold tubs. My wife and I enjoyed a 50 min. couples massage on the beach! and then enjoyed the aminities of the spa. If you ahve not endulged in a spa treatment, do youself a favor and try this one. We absolutley loved.

The concieres are very knowledgable about the torus you can do. We had Cabo Azul sign us up for snorkeling and Horse back riding on the beach. Also used them for resturaunt recommendations int he area.

Lastly, there is a Mega Store about 2 minutes from the resort. Even though the resort does have an internet cafe and a Market that is truly fully-stocked with everything you may need, it was a little expensive. We went to Mega (which is like a Wal-Mart with groceris) for our food/needs.

I hope this helps. I encourage you to also review the Los Cabo Forum for other tips and suggestion during your trip to Baja Mexico! We absolutely loved Baja, San Jose, San Lucas and the Cabo Azul resort!

• Liked — Clean, friendly service and the Resort is simply Beautiful!
  • Disliked — None. After a whole week, not one suggested change!
2 Thank UW_Badgers
California
Reviewed August 11, 2008

As I searched the site, and read all of the amenities I was super excited to stay at Cabo Azul with my boyfriend for the weekend. We both have stayed in Cabo San Lucas many times but we were looking for somewhere new to stay. Upon our arrival, we were driven to a temporary concierge, that we found out would later be another villa in the hotel. The hotel is not yet completed, and I was very UPSET that the website had MISLEAD me to believe that the hotel and its listed amenities were all ready for me to come down and enjoy. Many of the listed amenities however were not available, not even built yet. The pool was very nice and the villa was nice. We didn't have power some of the time - which was frustrating (especially when the elevators were not in service). Javier's restruant was pretty good, however De La Noche was terrible. They need to change their menu. Tourist go down to Mexico to eat Mexican food, not bad American food (which concluded their entire menu). I do not recommend this hotel especially to families or for kids, there are no kids menus, and no children's activities. Maybe in about 5-10 years, this place will work out its kinks, and it may be one day a destination hot spot. As for now, if you are considering staying here, I would hold off for a couple of years, until they finish the entire hotel.

• Liked — The Pool/Villa
  • Disliked — The unfinished amenities!
3 Thank CALIFORNIACABOLOVER
Dallas
Reviewed August 1, 2008

Cabo Azul is a beautiful resort with wonderfully appointed rooms, but be aware of a few things before you book this trip. The entire front of the resort is still under "major" construction as of July 2008. That includes the front entrance, the check-in/lobby area and a section of new hotel rooms under construction that is visible from the pool deck. They have built a temporary plywood wall in front of this area to try and hide it from your view while at the pool. As of now, you are brought down the side of the hotel and check in at a converted hotel room. That was a big initial disappointment not being told this place was still under construction. You should also know that we never saw more then 3 or 4 construction workers at a time working on any of these construction areas. At this rate, I don't see this being done for at least a year or two.
The rooms are very high end Spanish style rooms with most of the lighting being indirect and all have dimmer controls. You can definitely set the mood to your liking. The rooms also come with a complete kitchen with stainless appliances.
The three infinity pools are awesome. My wife and I found the service very good on the pool decks. The pina coladas are excellent! You cannot swim in the ocean because of the severe undertow. A guest almost drowned one afternoon while we were there.
If you had to sign up for the time share presentation which they say is one and a half hours, be prepared to be there for three hours. They tell you early in the presentation that we are on "Mexico" time now and "we" don't keep track of time that closely down here. I wanted to tell them that I'm from America, and here, an hour and a half is an hour and a half and I'm the one on vacation. The only reason I didn't is because the man who did our presentation was very interesting and taught us a lot about the history of San Jose Del Cabo. They also bought our breakfast, but then they asked US to leave the wait staff a tip. (?)
I also took exception to the very high pressure the time share people applied as their sales pitch came to a close even though we repeatedly declined their offer.
I do highly recommend going in to town and having dinner at "Morgans" and or "La Pangas". Both set in romantic courtyards and just a $5 cab ride each way.
All in all, the resort is very beautiful but you might want to wait a year or so to go when all of the construction is finished.

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — Still under construction!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosew...
#2 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!