“Decent place but not sure if I would go back”
Review of Cabo Azul Resort

Cabo Azul Resort
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
los Angeles
“Decent place but not sure if I would go back”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The title says it all. Overall nice place but not sure if I would go back

My wife and I looked at a lot of hotels before we decided on this place. We had been to Cabo before and wanted to try something new so this place had the best deal we found for the time we needed. We booked this place using booking.com which had the best rate. We picked a one bedroom suite for the fourth of July holiday. So here is my review:

GOOD POINTS
1- The pools: That was the highlight of the place I would say. The hotel had a very nice and large pool. It never felt crowded. There needs to be more lounge chairs around the pool but for the most part we didn't have a problem finding one. The pool was definitely very relaxing and ideal to get a nice tan. It was one of the best pools we had been to. It was overlooking the ocean and there were lounge chairs and beds on the beach too which is really nice, especially at night time if you want to enjoy a nice drink by the ocean

2- The rooms: Very large. They were more like a small suite, or apartment. Very clean. There was a fridge and a stove. Ideal for a larger party or small family. Also saved a little bit on food. we kept our drinks in the fridge so it was nice and chill. The lighting is definitely on the darker side, as most people said in their reviews but it wasn't so bad overall. Made it a little more romantic. Our room was on the ground floor so we had a nice outdoor patio overlooking the garden. It was very private and definitely chill. The shower is nice, double sinks, water pressure is good

3- The location: This place is located on the hotel strip in San Jose Del Cabo and not Cabo San Lucas. It is therefore a lot quieter than Cabo which is nice if you are looking for a quiet time. Right outside our hotel there were just newly built restaurants with a diverse menu. It was very very convenient

4- Parking: We rented a car so we used the parking which was free. They have a valet service but it was killing the wallet to tip them every time

5- Activities desk. The lady at the desk was very helpful and made reservations for us at various places. She was by far the nicest person at that resort

BAD POINTS:

1- Let's begin with the check in- As you may have read from other reviews we hated our check in as well. After landing from a long flight, dealing with the harassment from the time share people outside the airport, the last thing you want is to get more time share pushy sales people. Long and behold this is exactly what happens when you check in. They make you wait because the rooms are not available until 4pm. So while you are waiting, as soon you are done giving them your credit card for the check in process, they guide you into this room right next to check in to "go over the hotel features". The real reason for that is to talk to you into booking a time share seminar. It is voluntary so you can decline it but they really push for it. We decided to go to it because they were offering us a $200 credit on the bill and discounts for activities.
The owner of this hotel which is part of Diamond resorts International is a big time time-share guy so there is no way escaping it. This really really brought down the overall class of the hotel. We were utterly disappointed with their sales technique. That's not how you should be first greeted in such a high class resort, supposedly.

2- The Check in Lady was total b---c. She was very rude, barely spoke English and just didn't seem to care much for her job

3- Rooms: If you are looking for that stunning ocean view room then this place is not for you. The rooms DO NOT have ocean views. It wasn't a big deal for us because we enjoyed the garden patio but if you are expecting a view then you WILL be disappointed

4- The WIFI IS NOT FREE!!! Even though it says so on their website and on Expedia it is not free. It was $13 for a single day, $26 for 3 days and $50 for a week. Such a shame to charge for internet in such a prestigious place

5- Food: it was average overall. They have Javier's restaurant as one of their main dining option. We went there once. The food was average and obviously very pricey. They have another restaurant by the pool, which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate there few times. Food is not too bad there, but again quiet pricey

6- Drinks- Very limited choices- They have a happy hour from 3-5 every day but you are really limited on the drinks menu. I wish there would have been more options

7- Service: It was good overall but definitely inferior compared to other places we have been, especially the pool side service. We had to chase down the servers.

8- Crowd: For some reason the crowd that was there during our stay felt like a motel 6 crowd. Not sue how to explain this. Just didn't feel right. Lots of heavy drinkers and people swimming in their t-shirts and clothes in the pool. Felt very unhygienic and like I was in some small rural town in bumville. It just wasn't our crowd

9- This is NOT AN ADULT ONLY RESORT! There were a lot of kids there and even though they were pretty quiet for the most part, don't expect this place to be adults only

10- Activities: There were no activities at this place which felt very boring for me but it depends on your personality. There was music around the pools but that's about it. Not much happening here.

11- Charges: This place will try to charge you for every single item and get as much money from you as possible so keep track of your expenses!

12- Construction: This hotel is undergoing renovations until March of 2014 so please be AWARE of that! They did not inform us of this until we had completed our booking. Although we did not have any major problem with the noise and it was localized to the front of the hotel just expect all the usual issues associated with renovations

13- Car: I wanted to add this point although not related to the hotel itself but if you are planning to rent a car in mexico be prepared to pay around $200 for a MANDATORY liability insurance at the rental company. I was not aware of that and found out the hard way when I was forced to accept the insurance. My rate went from $38 to $258$! Be ware of those scammers! They will increase your fees at all costs even though you already have a booking with the fees confirmed. I would advise against renting a car, especially if you are staying In Cabo San Lucas over San Jose Del Cabo

So, in summary, If you are looking for a decent deal, in a quiet place, away from the busy scene of Los Cabos, a large room, nice pools to just seat around and tan then this place is for you. If you want an upscale place, with excellent customer attention, high quality food, rooms with a view, adults only, fun place then look somewhere else like Me Cabo for example.

I have mixed feeling about this place. There were times when I was really enjoying myself and times when I was just dying to leave. But that was my impression. Might be different for somebody else with different expectations.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1109. Located on the ground floor, close to the pool. No view but nice private gar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank rezajun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Alex in Bellman service a willing to go the extra mile staff member.
Rent a car and explore swimmable beaches nearby La Pamilla, Santa Maria Bay etc.
New affordable cafes across the street create dining options off property if no car
If a sun person you want a room on the right side of the property when facing the ocean

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Julie N
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed everything about this place from the minute we arrived, to the moment we left! The staff is always helpful and courteous. The bellman took our bags and showed us around. We stayed in the penthouse which was unbelievably large (3 bedroom 3 bath) with views of the ocean on both patios. They have a nice market & a café that serves great food and has daily specials. They have 3 pools which were very relaxing. The best was the swim up bar pool. One of the best things they offer is happy hour 2 for 1 drinks everyday! We ate at the pool resauraunt almost everyday. The food was great (the chefs are amazing.) and the staff was very friendly and remembered us everytime. Alfonzo & Israel were wonderful! They were very knowledgable about the resort & the surrounding area. While we were here they had a 4th of July party on the beach. Great food, all you can drink, live band & fireworks. The event was put together very well. Overall we really enjoyed our stay & would love to come back to Cabo Azul again!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Shaylaeid
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Being a frequent visitor of Cabo we purchased a timeshare at Cabo Azul 4 years ago when they were part of Pacific Monarch, knowing that we would only ever come to this property. First as most people have stated it is a beautiful property if you know Dodd Mitchell's design he did not disappoint with this property.

Staff- Everyone was friendly for the most part. Encountered a very rude waiter at Javiers and Natalie at the "timeshare presentation" was dreadful.

Food- Average at best. Javiers' just okay. Food by the pool was good, but nothing to write home about. Drinks were good definitely try the tamarindo margarita. All in all I've had much better food in Cabo and other places. For the price of some of the food, I'd expect much better.

Accomodations- Rooms are beautiful we stayed in the penthouse. The room is large and gorgeous. This year unfortunately our room had tons- seriously tons of mosquitoes in it. Despite having the doors closed and having them come to spray several times we all got bitten pretty badly and this has never ever happened in Cabo before and there was no rain. Not sure what that was about.

Pools- Are the best feature of this property in my Opinion. The pools range from cool to quite warm. They are all no more than five feet so nice for kids. There's a little splash pool supposedly for kids but my one year old wanted no part of that.

All in all this is a nice place to stay. Is it a five star property? no. Are they trying to sell it as such? yes. Area for improvements..more kids activities, fitness classes, yoga on the beach, better quality food at Javiers.

Room Tip: Get a ocean view room. If you ask for a partial ocean it will be just that and it might be hard for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Indio, California
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Fabulous! Cost $35 pp. Rodrigo is host. 8 people max. everything is made in front of you overlooking the ocean. I was skeptical, but will not miss this next time here! Very special!

The resort is five star, run by Diamond Resorts. Their flagship resort. The guys who work the pool area for food and drinks are superb. Eduardo, Juan Carlos, Juaquin, our favorites.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stan W
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The rooms are AMAZING, the grounds are GORGEOUS, and the beds are very comfortable! The major things to note are that the resort does not seem to have very good lighting and the staff is not always the most available. With the exception of these two things, however, Cabo Azul Resort ensures you will have a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: There is a huge difference between the 2 and the 3 bedroom rooms, so if you are debating between the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rachel L
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have stayed in several properties in Cabo and I am very happy with all of them. I recently inherited a timeshare with monarch vacations so I was itching to stay here.

I have to admit, approaching the property is a little awkward: So is check in. It happens in the right wing of the property so when you enter, you come into the property from the right side of the pool. Which robs you of the magnanimity of this property.

They also have this mandatory sit down with a concierge which explains what's going on at the hotel and points out where everything is (including your room). It's cool. But then they ask you to attend a 60 minute "member update" (and for the other people in my party-- a 90 minute presentation). They offered us a few gifts which came in real handy and saved us alot of money.

But it if you'd been sleep deprived and traveling on a plane all morning it could be annoying as heck. Which is what happened to me. I agreed only cuz i wanted to rush through it and go to sleep.

It wasn't until my presentation that I saw how amazing the hotel is. I have to explain that the hotel is under construction and will be until may of '14. They took us to where the lobby is suppose to be and it's right in the middle of the property elevated about 2 floors... wow.

That's when i fell in love. At night, the hotel is lit by fire and small led lights. It's super sexy and gives it this really impressive ambiance.

What sucks is that the way you check in and go into the property really takes away from the customer experience. There really is no "wowness" as you walk into the property because you come in from the side. It's really weird. But that's how it is until they finish.

The pool was warm. I mean warm. like a nice hug. We would swim until about 10-10:30PM every night until before they start releasing the cleaning agents in the pool. It's great. You swim and there's fire and the stars are shimmering. It is so sexy.

It's going to be a true thing of beauty when it's complete.

The rooms are surprisingly large. I stayed in a 2 BR unit. It had a full kitchen. With dishware. Came in handy. so handy. We went to walmart and stocked up on booze. And got some food to cook. Saved us money eating out and what not. The beds were like falling asleep on a pile of delicious pudding. It was soooo soft. The sheets were silky. It was a really really good night's sleep.

The sushi was surprisingly good. So was the food at Javier's. I'm a bit of a food snob so I can't really say the food was amazing. I only ate there twice. I had filet mignon one night. Lot's of tug. Not a tender chew. Seasoning lacked something. there wasn't that flavor pop I enjoy in a good steak.

The Pollo en mole was actually quite tasty. Tender chicken breast and all kinds of flavors going on in the mole. Nuts. Spices. Chocolate. It was good. I would definitely return.

The only complain is that the water in our building went out. Some pipe broke or something. So they were having people shower in the other wing of the hotel and some people were moved. We just went into town and hung at the beach in dtown cabo until we were tired then came back. Still no water so we just hung at the pool. Water was back on around 11...

That was the only real problem. We couldn't use the bathrooms and shower and what not. But everything else was incredibly delightful.

I want to return before year ends when it's hotter. Maybe in July/August. But I'll definitely return next May after construction is complete.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Playa Grande Resort
Playa Grande Resort
#15 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Cabo Azul Resort? Share your experiences!