“Good value, not a 4 star as advertised”

Royal Decameron Los Cabos
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed June 4, 2014

My fiance, and I, in our late 30s - early 40's, stayed at the Royal Decameron Los Cabos from May 5-15, 2014. We took a chance after reading positive reviews here on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed, but we were not wowed by the resort either. You do get what you pay for, maybe a little more. To get airfare, food, all you can drink, and entertained (somewhat) for $100 a day flying from Canada is an awesome deal no matter how you look at it.
The resort is very small. Too small for ten days I have to say. Nobody else we spoke to stayed that long. Most stay half that. But we always find a week not enough, two weeks too much. At a bigger resort ten days is usually perfect. This is not to say we weren't enjoying ourselves. You just get tired of the same food and drinking so much after awhile. The fact that the resort is small is great for meeting lots of fun people. The resort was pretty dead when we arrived although we were told it was 80% full. No way it was even half full. Some days there were 5 people around the pool. People came and went over the ten days but there weren’t ever too many. It was always easy to get pool chairs. None of that put your towel down at 7am and leave for hours business that I hate. There were no line ups for anything, the buffet was quick and easy, drinks very east to get. The only complaint was the a la carte restaurant. Yes, there is only one, and the food there is excellent. The issue was the reservation system. Many times at the late sitting we saw the restaurant almost empty even though they always say it is booked full. Once we invited another couple to come join us for dinner and we were told on arrival there was no space although there obviously was, not only at our table, but at least ten other empty tables. We learned to make reservations for the next night to avoid this issue. Also, on the last day unfortunately, we learned you can order food not on the menu or combine dishes that are. I had lasagna with some prawns as a side and it was fabulous. The restaurant is the snack bar in the day and has great day time food. We really loved the burgers and nachos. We are usually healthy eaters but as we were on vacation we had our fill of stuff we dont usually eat and it was all pretty good. The buffet always had great food and the selection was ok. Time it however to get there near the opening times. We did get tired of it after awhile. Like I said, ten days may have been too long for this resort as the food gets repetitious with one buffet and one restaurant.
Almost every person we met was sick for at least a day. My gf never gets sick and she was sick the last four days with something. I took Dukurol before I went and never got sick at all. My gf doesnt believe in it, or should I say, she does now LOL. Thankfully there is a mega store across the street to get medicine. Unlike other resorts we have stayed at there was no hand sanitizer anywhere to be seen. Usually someone squirts your hands when you walk into the buffet at other resorts. Lots have said the resort is very clean. Unfortunately, I have to disagree. Yes the pools and grounds are clean and maintained but the washrooms around the resort we generally not. Almost every time I went to use one, especially at night, there was a plugged toilet. Even the toilets in the rooms plug very easy. The plumbing needs to be addressed on this resort. The rooms are close enough however that you can just avoid the public washrooms and use the one in your room. Some have complained about the shower and bathroom door are the same. I didn’t see what the problem was except ours was hard to close at times.
The biggest reason we picked this resort was because we like to have a good time. We read the complaints about the loudness at night. We are on vacation! We dont want a resort that is dead after 10:00!! We shut down the disco almost every night and always met couples to party with. We were however misinformed about the entertainment. That was by far my biggest disappointment. We loved the bands. The rock band was outstanding and we also enjoyed the Latin band. But after that, the entertainment was left to be desired. There is obviously not a theatre with shows for a resort this size, just a small stage. So yes the entertainment choices are limited. But karaoke night? Bingo? That’s kinda weak. We thought there was going to be a band every night. There used to be we were told. I am sure Royal Decameron can find more than one band in that area to play at the resort. The rock band only played once in the ten days and we were told they would be back again and they were not. The Latin band played only once as well. The entertainment staff is excellent with what they have to work with however. Danny (Mexican Bruno Mars) and his Canadian wife Jenny are great. The other fellow, who actually is a Michael Jackson impersonator, also got everyone lively. But they are limited based on the facilities. The bands work best so if I could give any advice to the resort it would be to have more bands for the nightly entertainment. I agree if you want to be in bed by 9, don't go here. We stay up late and are late risers. In May, the sun is up until 7:30 so that's just fine. If you want quiet, close the door, turn on the AC. However, when the bands are playing, forget about sleeping. The bass shakes your room. Ours was right above the stage. Room 219. The stage and the most popular bar are right where the rooms are. We loved that but many won't. A few nights it got rowdy and they will not tell people to quiet down nor should they.
The beach is fantastic, but unlike the Mayan Riviera side, you cannot swim in it. Waves are way too big. But the climate was fantastic. Hot and dry, not muggy. Perfect. Even at night. I wore 30 sunscreen and came home almost black. The main pool is excellent. The one up top however was too warm for our liking.
The king size bed is the biggest bed I have ever seen. It was a bit hard and hurt my hip the first few nights but got I used to it. Mini bar could be better. Get your own water at the mega mart becaue they only give you two little bottles a day.
The resort has a "Julius Caesar" feel to it as it used to be a place for people....with very little inhibitions you could say. This is why the place is cheap and on groupon to drum up business as it's been recently renovated and changed to a "normal" place.
The staff..well it's a mixed bag. The entertainment and pool side staff are great. The waiters and bartenders..let's just say bring tip money. This is the first all inclusive that I have ever stayed at that they actually EXPECT tips. When you start to tip you will see the service improves dramatically. Tip jars are everywhere. Yes I know that these people make only $20 a day from wages but the expectation of tips was something new to me at a resort. A dollar or two is all you need or 200 pesos so bring lots of small bills. Also, ask for the good booze as they will give you bottom shelf vodka or tequila unless you ask. Don't expect Grey Goose but Finlandia and Smirnoff are available. I didn’t find the drinks watered down but if you do, just ask for a top up. There is no Corona or Dos Aquis, just some beer that gives you heartburn. Canadians will be happy to know they do have clamato juice for caesars!
All in all I would say this place is definitely NOT a four star. We have stayed at a few of the Grand Palladium resorts, Catalonia, and a few others that are four star or better. This is a three star in my opnion. Because of the food choices, entertainment limitations, the rooms and the facilities don't have that classy feel to them. Average to good I would say. However, we really enjoyed our stay. Probably the best vacation my fiance and I have had together. We will be back in Cabo in December and will go say hi to the staff and maybe spend a day there. Would we stay there again? Doubtful because we like to try new places but I would recommend it to anyone if you are on a budget or want decent value for your money. A small, easy going, fun place that will not disappoint as long as you dont have very high expectations and remember what you paid.

8  Thank chrisandjulie2014

Reviewed June 3, 2014

great price. far excceded my expectations.never been this side of mexico, . the sea is a bit wild and exciting, lots of cactus as it is desert here, definatly no palm lined beaches! mountains to the sea, wild surf that sounded like a freight train, awesome spectacle of the waves crashing on the shore. horse back riding on Freckles the horse right on our beach(with owner Guerro) only 20-25 dollars. better than having to get on a tour bus.small hotel just how we like it.. by the end of the trip everyone knew each other! had the perfect room right across from the outside bar area so we could site on our patio and watch the entertainment. there were bands in the afternoon, and at night there was entertainment by the hotel staff(dannny and jennifer and others) also bands other nights including a band that had everyone up singing and dancing with 80's and 90's tunes i think they were called traveller. they were awesome and unexpected for a resort. rooms were good clean fairly large food was reasonably good for buffet good selection for all meals(lets face it it has to appeal to everyone)good snack restaurant by the pool good selection .it turns into the a la carte at night.bar service in both areas was good . no problems. there is an expresso bar in the lobby which was wonderful as i like my expresso.you can also ask for it at breakfast from one of the wonderful attentive servers. would go back in an instant as long as the price is kept reasonable..i know the prices tend to be high on this side.dont be scared of buying from the venders and negotiate your purchase. people seemed to hang back from buying until they saw us do some purchasing .then they seemed to be more trustful, i think they perhapse recieved some bad advice from some people who really have no idea what mexico is really like. it is as safe as you make it just like at home. we were 4 women here and no one gave a problem.this is a very likable area.

Room Tip: we liked the ground floor because soom had a mobility problem but other people would not apreciate t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barbidauhl
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Nice, quiet, and relaxing just what we were looking for in a vacation. The resort is very CLEAN, the staff was great and the beach and pools fantastic, also the price was very, very good! Would definitely stay here again if going back to Cabo San Lucas.

We took a trip to San Jose, quaint little town with great shops and restaurants, definitely would recommend a side trip here if your time allows, not far from the resort, only 10 minutes and $7 by taxi.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 357, great views! And, you could hear the ocean at night.
2  Thank LoveToTravel51013
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was was our very first trip to Mexico and we were so glad we got Decameron. My wife and I chose this resort based on a) competitive price; b) reviews from customers. They were so helpful. We felt so welcome by the ambience the moment we set our foot in at the lobby. We got a super-sized king bed, thanks to Jeanette from the reception. Roman was so funny and
entertaining. Eleuterio is very accomodating. The food at the buffet is outstanding, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The service from Xiochit, Ramiro, and Javier at the buffet is superb. Tip was included but we still gave them extra tips for excellent service. Trust me, it's well worth every $ of it. We did the Luna restaurant by the beach, 2 out of 5 stars. The service was really nice but the food isn't that exciting. Never did it again. The bars... well, don't expect premium drinks and cocktails but do expect great service especially from Alejandro. Some bartenders are so-so; don't fit the job. Can't complain on the swimming pool. They are small but very cozy especially at night. The beach walk was so relaxing. We did the spa on promotion; not that great for the money
but very relaxing. Will I
do it again? Probably not. Danny boy, Jenny, and Carlos are great entertainers. Overall, the experience was facinating. Royal Decameron San Jose is a captivating
getaway. Tips for the trip... give extra tips. Well worth it.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank lalail61
Reviewed June 1, 2014

First of all, this is not a high rise 5 star resort. It's a smaller low rise 3 story. If you want good food, good service at a great price this is it. This used to be an adult resort so there are still some paintings that are a little risque for kids. There are 3 pools with one on the roof that is downright warm. All have swim up bars. Omar is a great bartender. He saved a baby bird while we were there.The Luna Restaurant by the pool is so-so. We ate there twice and never got a drink refill. They even asked us once. The have a routine that they don't change, I guess. The buffet is always good and no wait. Miguel was our waiter and great service! What we do is get $40 worth of $1 bills and give each waiter/bartender $1-$2 per day and they are happy. Don't be cheap, you're on vacation! Also, we had trouble with our air conditioner one day and called Roman at the desk. He had someone there within minutes. No problem. The buck stops with Roman.This place is small,can be noisey at night during the shows but use earplugs or just enjoy the show. You are on vacation. Live a little! NOTE: DO NOT SWIM IN THE OCEAN!!! We saw a young girl almost drown on the beach one day. It was close. The lifesaver by the pool saved her life. No lifeguards here. But, the beach is big and beautiful and there are 3 pools to swim in. This resort is a smokin' deal for the right traveller. We would definately go back and take friends with us. Me Gusta Royal Decameron....

Room Tip: Room #328. Perfect room...privacy on balcony plus view of pools and shows at night with an oceanview...
4  Thank Chuck-Tina D
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We have stayed at many all inclusives so we went in with expectations of what to expect. The resort was very nice and the pools were great. Entertainment was actually very good during the day and at night compared to other places we have stayed at..Our room was above the stage so yes it could get loud but didn't bother us because it's vacation and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and we weren't going to be party poopers and complain. The food at the buffet was good and we always found something we liked. The one restaurant that required reservations was pretty good but the menu was small..Drinks were good even though I wasn't a fan of the tecate light beer. First place where we have stayed and didn't have pool or beach service service which is always nice..Our mini fridge was terrible and never got filled one time so we ewalked across the street and bought our own water..It would have been nice to have a pool side snack bar and room service..If you go with reasonable expectations you will enjoy the place, just don't expect it to be great..The internet and in room safe costing extra is a joke but I guess for the price you pay you can't complain..So if you find a deal on this place go ahead and take it.

2  Thank haferStlouis_Mo
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I booked my trip with a Groupon, so I cam in a bit skeptical - but was presently surprised! I stayed with my girlfriend and traveled with 2 other friends. Our trip started smooth having booked our transportation from the airport before we traveled (recommended, taxis are expensive at the airport). We had a room on the bottom floor that opened right into a cactus garden and had easy access to the pools and restaurants.

The food is okay, nothing to write home about - it's what you would expect from an all inclusive resort. Eating at the restaurant can be a bit of hassle, needing to book early in the morning as it's first come first serve. The drinks are okay, most taste watered down. I guess it's better to need to drink a few extra than deal with the random guy who's way to drunk.

The activities at the resort kept things interesting. There weren't a overwhelming amount of things going on so it made it easy to relax and enjoy the sun. The beach is nice but the waves were a bit rough (not that the hotel can control those).

All in all the resort was great! I had a great time relaxing with my group, I might not stay there again as I like to switch things up - but I did thoroughly enjoy my trip. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends