“One night was enough”

Ranked #23 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Okotoks, Canada
“One night was enough”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Booked the Regina Grand through Olotel booking site. I had never heard of them before so wasn't sure if my reservation was good since the price was ridiculously, but olotel reviews were ok and I thought 75 bucks was a low risk to take. We arrived at the Grand, unloaded and were told our room was at the club...downgraded but still had a jacuzzi room. Checked in...asked for a room with a fridge ( even willing to pay extra for one) and were told there were no rooms with refrigerators available. Unfortunate since we were expecting a room with a fridge and had stopped at Mega for a few supplies. Fortunately we travel with a small cooler and filled it with ice to keep the perishables from stinking up the room! The room was nice enough, although somewhat dated, a nice view from the jacuzzi tub but no balcony. We went for a walk around the grounds, and I soon discovered that I wasn't in as good shape as I should be for this resort! Lots and lots of stairs...no elevators...concrete roads link the concrete buildings and you soon look forward to the golf cart type shuttles that will drive you around the resort. If you have any mobility issues at all...don't stay here! The views were great looking out over the beach and ocean, and hearing the crashing waves was lovely but being surrounded by so much concrete did not give me the tropical feeling I was looking for. We went for happy hour just outside of their restaurant...2 drinks 25 USD (good thing they were 2 for 1...banana daiquiri was delish and service was good. We then had dinner at La Viajra restaurant...the meal was OK (84.00USD) service was good. Had tomwalk all the way back UP to the lobby though when our cardlock key didnt work after the first time. The next morning we went for coffee at the neighbouring Westin and paid 20USD for 2 coffees (bottomless with tip). Quite disappointed there was not a coffee maker in the room. It is my understanding that this resort is largely a time share property and so we were a little surprised to see the signs forbidding you to take your own beverages to the pool or beach, since many time shares tend to be somewhat self catering. Also pretty sure the front desk could have provided us with a room with a fridge since the whole resort seemed very empty. Internet to your room was extra cost again (or free at the lobby). In conclusion our 75.00 room, while it was a bargain in itself and much nicer than any 75.00 per room hotel anywhere in Canada, this place can get costly in a hurry. The location does not make it easy to leave. We had rented a car, but by the time we walked all the way back UP to the lobby and got the valet to get the car, and then drove back to San Jose or Cabo it just didnt seem worth it. Indeed after talking to some other guests it seems to be common that guests arrive and don't venture far. It just seems to be inconvenient. We decided to take advantage of the jacuzzi (the water is unbelievably hot....Be careful)! Didn't put the plug back in after draining the tub and there was a large cockroach on his back in the tub the next morning. i have been to mexico enough that they don freak me out anymore but still dont like seeing them inside. Before we left we had to pay our 10 usd for parking...I paid with a 20 and had to provide my drivers license of which they had to photocopy so they could make change...which btw came in pesos. This whole process took about 20 minutes. They said it was because they had to do the currency conversion. All in all, glad we stayed to check it out but won't return. I feel we had better value and a better experience this time last year at the Royal Solaris in San Jose.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank goodnessgracious

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 20, 2013

First off let me say that the staff for the most part are wonderful. Gracious in every way. I almost felt there were too many staff anxious to please and was annoyed by the excessive calls asking if everything was ok. However, I planned my day around a massage and got to the spa only to hear jackhammers next door. Really? Could they not have told me that there would be construction and offer an in-room massage at the same price? Also someone called to tell me I hadn't signed a receipt but did not specify the date and time and after numerous calls to clear it up I gave up. In fact we had not signed but they put it on our bill and we paid for it, no big deal. Guess we had a few too many that day! There were some communication snafu's in general but it may be chalked up to the language barrier, not sure.
We left two items at the pool on two different days (our bad) and they were never recovered, which gave me a bit of a bad feeling. It may well have been other guests who took the items but if the staff were on top of things they would have put them in the lost and found directly when they noticed we'd left them, right?

The mini golf was barely anything and they did not have small clubs for the kids.

The food at the pool was not very good.

I treated my son to the buffet breakfast and it was pretty good.

The rooms were nice and the views were amazing but I found the resort is a little run down and does not feel luxurious in the same way that the other places I've stayed at feel, such as Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach, Hacienda Del Mar, Playa Grande, and Grand Mayan.

I would stay there again but it would not be my first choice.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ingrid P
Nipomo, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Club Regina is located on a "non-swimmable beach" (not unusual in Cabo) hanging off the side of cliffs next door to the Westin Regina Hotel. Our two bedroom unit was just above the crashing waves with a wonderful view up the coast from the very private, nicely-sized balcony. Nice large bedrooms with king-sized beds with a living room and kitchenette/dining space in between them. A very large in-room spa tub went unused during our stay...

In addition to Club Regina's 3 pools and restaurant (Inizio) overlooking the beach and waves, there is easy access to the Westin facilities next door via a beach walk or golf carts that are easily summoned and free. Breakfast buffet changes daily and is excellent. What a treat to start the morning sitting on the Inizio terrace having breakfast with the waves pounding the beach below. And a dinner in the same place under the luna llena is not bad either. However, both the lunch menu and the location of the cafe are underwhelming. This is easily overcome by ordering lunch to be served poolside or wandering over to the Westin for lunch.

The reason it does not deserve a 5 star rating is the total lack of luxe in the decor and finishing touches. However, it has a certain very casual and nice beach style to it and the entire staff from room check-in to room service is efficient and very friendly. I enjoyed a very good, vigorous massage from Ana at on-site (not spa, but a room dedicated to massages).

All in all, an excellent experience and a good value to boot!

Room Tip: Get one as close to the beach as possible (the rooms are strung down the cliffside in 3 or 4 "t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank CAtraveler94087
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed May 28, 2013

As always, some people have a great experience while others have a horrible experience. This time we had a great experience. Upon check-in, I got a room I had described that I wanted and it was available immediately.(before 4 p.m. check in time ). This set the pace for the 2 weeks I was here. The view from my room was so fantastic it was a chore for me to leave even to go to the pool! I will be back. Hopefully for another great experience.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have better view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NancyB702013
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Just came back from 1 week here with 3 couples.

The location is the absolute best in the area. On a peaceful, idyllic point, well off the well maintained 4 lane highway. Regular Whale sightings from your balcony. Location is only 10 minutes from San Jose for basic groceries (Mega store, Europa Liquor store). Cabo is only approx 20 minutes to the west on. (Costco, Walmart, Home Depot etc...). A rental car is a definite bonus to enable day trip or grocery re-stocking. Felt safe everywhere we went in both Cabo and San Jose, so don't believe the anti-Mexican hype. Just park as soon as you can when driving into Cabo, as the drivers appear to invent 3 lane roads in the space for only 2. Look at even the newest vehicles, dents are common place. Great entertainment just watching the near misses while the ladies were shopping.

Great, relaxing time from check-in to departure with spectacular Sea of Cortez views from every room. Staff very attentive and provided excellent service. In particular the Cart drivers (Alejandro) who went over and above the call. Tipping was definitely appreciated. Carts at your door within 5 minutes and rental car valet good, with only minimal waits, if any. Entertainment also good, with particular praise for our Volleyball/Exercise motivator, Katherine who is just 1 month new to Raintree . Great hire, keep her around. Good facilities with 4 Raintree Infinity Pools and further access to two more at the adjoining Westin. Don't hesitate to eat at the Westin's great dining lounge or use their games room, pool bar, etc... as they also honor the same 20% discount Raintree patrons get at their private facilities. Pools are clean with no problem locating lounge chairs any day at any of the 3 main pool areas. Staff will bring/setup umbrellas for you upon request. Bedrooms are large with excellent King size beds/mattresses and in-bedroom jacuzzi tubs with own view of the Sea of Cortez. Rooms getting slightly dated, but cleaning staff do good job of daily cleaning. Full appliances, utensils, dishes in all suites, including 3 separate safes for Grand Suites (2 BR).

Overall, Had a great time and will definitely be back to the Raintree Cabo.

Room Tip: If you want extreme peace a quiet, ask to stay at the far East end of the resort. Even then walk to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TequilaDreams
San Carlos, California
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is probably the best experience I've ever had. The scenery and the accommodations are outright amazing, and I was floored by the attentiveness of the staff. Every morning, someone from the hospitality staff walked around the pool areas to see if *anyone* needed *anything* in their suites. And they delivered! Even with five-star hotels, I've never experienced service like this. I can't speak highly enough.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated suite.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We fell in love with this place. It was perfect for what we were looking for: low key, quiet and no spring breakers in sight! This hotel is located in the corridor adjacent to the Westin. You can use all the Westin pools and facilities as a guest of the Regina. We didn’t even up going to the Westin as the Regina pools/beach areas are lovely and not crowded. This is a time share property that also rent out rooms to guests. We had the 1 bedroom Club Suite which was huge for 2 people. The room had 1 bedroom with a Jacuzzi, 2 full bathrooms with showers, a full kitchen/dining/living room with a terrace overlooking the Sea of Cortez. This is a bit older of a property that is currently being renovated. Some of the furniture looks a little worn but everything else was immaculately clean and well kept. We were lucky to have a room on the first floor literally a few steps away from the infinity pool and the beach. The beach is small but that’s all you really need because there’s rarely anyone there. The pool boys will set up umbrellas and lounge chairs for you. Since this is a huge property, there are trams that you can call to take you everywhere or walk. The walk is very scenic and allows you to enjoy all views and the amazing architecture.

The staff is very friendly and tipping helps a lot. We didn’t see other people tip for trams or for little service. However, we generally tip for service and hence got the best service all the time. The concierge is a letdown though. They are not as knowledgeable as I would've liked so you are better off asking the trams driver where to eat locally. Omar (one of the tram driver) gave us great recommendations for dinner in nearby San Jose. The golf concierge is great and knows where all the best golf places are. He recommended us to go to Palmilla which we loved. We went there 3x during the week. They have a Budget rental office in the lobby and you can usually get a good deal on it. We got 3 day rental for around $150 including all the taxes and insurance. Since the hotel is far out of town, you will need a car or taxi to get anywhere. Taxi is expensive so if you plan on leaving the resort at least 1x a day, you are better off renting a car.

We went to the Mega (10 minutes drive from the hotel) to stock up on food for breakfast and lunch for the week. They have everything including a lot of yummy antipasto and ready to eat meals for you. I plan on coming back to this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the concierge to move you to another room if you don't like yours.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends