My husband and I stayed at this resort for 7 days/6 nights while in Cabo for a friend's wedding. The wedding was being held at a resort that was not all-inclusive and we decided that an all-inclusive would be the most cost-effective option for us. We chose the Barceló after looking at other all-inclusive resorts close to the wedding location and the Barceló had the best reviews and over-all looked to be more our taste.
We arrived on November 2, the day after the Barceló became the Hyatt Ziva. We had only GREAT experiences with staff. Our check-in was smooth and we were greeted with welcome drinks. Our bags were brought to our room by Cruz, who was very friendly and informative. He pointed out where restaurants and other points of interest are while on our way to the room. We stayed in room 2524 (King suite) and had a nice view of the ocean. I was surprised by the size of the room and bathroom. Both were very spacious. We enjoyed having the mini bar in the room. It was restocked daily and one day we were in the room when they came to fill it and the staff let us choose what and how much we wanted. Other wise it was 2 waters, 1 corona, 1 corona light, 1 pepsi, 1 pepsi light, sprite and some Mexican juices. Also 1 bag of chips and some peanuts that my husband tried but did not enjoy! We didn't have any issues with our room being cleaned. We noticed that they cleaned late afternoon and they cleaned every day except one time when we had our do not disturb sign out. They slipped a note under the door letting us know why they did not clean. They did ask at check-in if we wanted it cleaned at a certain time of day, but we didn't request anything special.
This was only our second All-Inclusive experience and this place did not even come close to our first AI. We love to travel but we're young and our expectations are pretty standard. The food was always cold. We ate at the French restaurant our first night and our main course took a long time to come out, which didn't bother us, but our food was COLD when it got to us. The flavor of everything was great, but it was not enjoyable because of the temperature. We also ate at the Japanese restaurant and that was much better. The Verde salad was delicious and the sushi was great! Main dishes were warm when they got to us so that was a plus. We had dinner once at the international buffet and everything was cold. We also had breakfast every day at the international buffet (the only choice for breakfast) and everything was cold unless you got a made to order omlette. The Hacienda was definitely our favorite restaurant for lunch. They had a big salad bar with a lot of choices and then different burger choices. We got salmon burgers both times we went, they were so good! Coco Loco is close to the pool and you can get lunch there to bring to have by the pool or bring to your room. The shrimp tacos there are AWESOME but whatever you do, DO NOT get a hamburger!!!! They're like hockey pucks, absolutely terrible. The lobby bar is open 24 hours and they always have a little snack bar set up and a coffee machine. We were glad that there were always healthy options (fruits, veggies, salad bar, etc).
We didn't see any of the entertainment but the sports bar opened early and played American Football games all day on Sunday, which we enjoyed. We got a couples massage at the spa and that was great. I had 2 $20 off coupons from the resort credits we got from Expedia but because of the switch to the Hyatt, the spa receptionist said the computer didn't have the option for the coupon. Instead, she gave us 20% off our total which was a bit of a better deal! I think the total after the coupon was $215 (American) for 2 80 minute massages, which we didn't think was too bad.
Service for drinks at the pool was good and even better if you give a tip. We enjoy tipping and the ladies serving drinks to us at the pool definitely earned a good pne! The only thing we didn't like was that some of the servers stood and waited awkwardly for tips. Sometimes we left the room without cash and weren't able to tip so it could be uncomfortable, especially when at an AI where gratuity is supposed to be included. Others were just very good servers and were extremely appreciative for even a couple bucks. The drinks varied depending on what you ordered and where you were! We had some excellent mimosa's and servers recommended good shots, but one day at the pool I must've drank at least 6 Mai-Tai's without feeling the slightest buzz. You could not walk past an employee without hearing "Hola"; every employee we met was friendly and helpful. We didn't notice much of a language barrier, unless we were making joke; then it was obvious our sense of humor didn't translate very well!
We felt very safe both at the resort and on the beach. There are vendors on the beach, but they leave you alone if you say no thank you and ignore. One slapped a bracelet on my wrist and tried to sell it for $40, we told him we only had $15 and he took that. We walked the beach nearly every day to get to the resort where the wedding events were. At night we walked close to the resorts where it was well lit and during the day we walked by the water. There was about 4 times I walked the beach alone and I felt completely safe. The bellman always got us a taxi quickly when we needed one and let us know what the price should be to our destination so we didn't get hosed.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and the things we didn't LOVE didn't ruin our trip. However, if we return to Cabo we will try another resort. There really wasn't anything specific to this resort that left a lasting impression, or made us want to return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on one of the most majestic peninsulas in the world and offering spectacular views of the Sea of Cortes, Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a luxurious all inclusive oasis of sophistication and comfort. This magnificent beachfront resort is minutes from beautiful downtown San Jose del Cabo and features plush accommodations, impressive amenities, impeccable service and is just minutes from the international airport. Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos is a unique, all inclusive experience that offers a myriad of activities from fine dining options at six a la carte restaurants and two gourmet buffet restaurants, to unique spa treatments, children’s programming and nightly entertainment shows. Enjoy deep-water fishing, scuba diving, world-class golf and many more adventure activities nearby. Or, simply relax and soak up the sun in one of the resort’s five swimming pools and breathtaking beachfront. This luxury resort also features 35,000 square feet of meeting facilities and ideal locations combined with the special touch of event planners who will attend to every last detail. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Los Cabos Palace Deluxe Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Barcelo Hotel Los Cabos
- Barcelo Resort Los Cabos
- The Grand Baja
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos San Jose Del Cabo