“Courtyard Breakfast”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We had a wonderful meal in their outdoor courtyard. Our breakfast was excellent. All five of us had something different and we all had good things to say. Their fresh juice drinks were also very delicious and interesting.

1  Thank Stra10

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Delectable food and a very creative menu.
Lovely spot in the open,under the trees. The owners are wonderful people who are attentive hosts. Highly recommend breakfast/lunch here. They were not open for dinner when we visited (they have plans to do so soon, check before visiting). Only open for four months, this neighborhood gem is great for one and all.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

We visited Lolita Café both mornings we stayed in San Jose Del Cabo. Their unique breakfasts (known for their breakfast sandwiches) are hearty and full of flavor. They are on buns that are baked in house - great chewy texture. The sandwiches are served with 3 homemade sauces and pickles. They also have a superb list of juices and drinks to perk you up. Highly recommend!

Definitely start your day at San Jose Del Cabo at Lolita! You will not regret it!

1  Thank carolyan21
Reviewed December 8, 2013

If you had visited Loreto in the past, you might recognize Lolita Cafe. The owners, Paco and Paola, had the Cafe de Lolita which offered the best breakfast experience in Loreto-great food, lovely garden seating, and a relaxed atmosphere. Fast forward to 2013 and now they are located in San Jose del Cabo. The new location offers them a stage to move to the next level. Located in the Art District on Manuel Doblado between Hildalgo and Morelos, one block from the main plaza and the church, they have turned the family home of a childhood friend into an amazing place to eat. All the best parts of Loreto are there, only better-outdoor garden patio dining under huge mango trees, mellow music in the background that doesn't intrude, and food that you can't find anywhere else. With that is now indoor seating, a beautiful coffee bar, and space to accommodate groups large and small.

If you are looking for the same old thing for breakfast or lunch you aren't in the right place. If you just had to have chilaquiles or huevos rancheros to start your day you aren't going to be happy. There are plenty of options for those safe and familiar breakfasts elsewhere, ranging from good to poor. Start walking, you only have to go a couple more blocks. If your lunch isn't going to taste right without a beer, save yourself some time, keep walking because they don't have a liquor license. You can find the usual nachos, tacos, or combination plates with that beer close by. If you have to have bargain prices, there are cheap options just around the corner. What you get from Lolita is something you can't find anywhere else in San Jose (or possibly Los Cabos at all). Lolita describes the menu as "fresh and artisan food with a Mexican touch". I call it magical. Paola simply does things in the kitchen that you might have to travel to Mexico City to find. Take the Cerritos. I love a good chile relleno and Paola's is fantastic. Now imagine it as part of a sandwich, with bread made fresh on location. It works and is still the best chile relleno I've ever had. You just have to look at the menu and decide on breakfast or the sandwiches or salads available all day. Save some room for dessert though-all made fresh in the kitchen. The cinnamon rolls and brownies come out of the kitchen still warm. My favorite was the churro-you just haven't had one like a Lolita churro.

Maybe the biggest surprise to me is the people eating there. Having just opened in the last 3 months the word hasn't gotten out to the gringos yet. The locals have discovered Lolita and are packing the place. It isn't unusual to see a group (or two) of ten to twelve come in to have brunch, while the other tables fill with couples, threesomes, or more. If you like people watching it will make your day. One table might be "Sex in the CIty", 20 or 30-somethings decked out in their best while the next might be some of the top business or government leaders dropping in for a power lunch.
Even with all the tables filled the service was perfect, attentive but not intrusive. With a pretty new staff this is impressive. A couple of times there appeared to be a wait for a table, but it didn't look like it took more than 10 or 15 minutes for one to appear. My only worry for the future is how long will I have to wait for a table next time I visit. Lolita isn't going to be the best secret for breakfast very long.

2  Thank TravlinDiver
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Stumbling onto the new Lolita Café was a highlight of our day trip to San Jose del Cabo. The exterior is unassuming with two windows and a step down to the interior through the single door. On the right is a lovely coffee bar and on the left are a few tables. The waiter showed us a menu, the options looked good to us, so we followed him further into the restaurant.

After passing through another room, we arrived at the lovely courtyard patio. It must have been at least 5-10 degrees cooler and shady. The waiter asked if we wanted a fan for some additional cooling breeze. So far so good.

The menu has so many delicious items that it was hard to decide. We peeked at the dishes being delivered to the neighboring table and were even more enthused about the options.

Both breakfast and lunch were available for our early afternoon meal, and they all looked good. Salads were offered both with the protein (shrimp, chicken, etc,) and without so it’s easy to have a vegetarian or lighter meal.

I chose the Antares sandwich. (All items are named after beaches or dive sites in the area.) This huge sandwich is made with their homemade wheat bread with walnuts (my choice) or white bread. This was one of my best meals in a week-long visit; it was stupendous. After devouring it, I asked to see the menu again so I could write down what I had just enjoyed. This veggie sandwich had light Dijon mustard, vegetable slices marinated in garlic & olive oil, sundried tomatoes, almond pesto, red pepper, chickpea dressing (double yum) and was topped with feta. I had intended to take one half of the sandwich back to my hotel for leftovers, but I couldn’t stop.

The side salad was a fresh lettuce leaf and strips of jicama wrapped up in a strip of cucumber.
All this for only 100 pesos!

The atmosphere, the service, the décor, and the food all make this new San Jose del Cabo restaurant a winner. I’ll be back.