“Great Deals going on now”

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We went to Secrets Puerto los Cabos from June 13 to June 20, 2014. The resort had been open since December and I would give it five stars all around. That doesn’t mean it was perfect, but if you like what it has to offer it is definitely a resort you want to look at.
SPLC is primarily selling gorgeous views. The resort is set up to provide ocean views from almost all the rooms and all the restaurants and pools. And those views are spectacular. If you’ve never been to the Cabo area, you need to realize most beaches are not for swimming. There is too much of an undertow and people have drowned trying to swim. In fact, SPLC has a life guard sitting on the beach to insure no one tries to go in the water. But the view of the ocean and the huge waves coming ashore is breath taking.

The resort is slightly angled (to provide the ocean view) and has 500 rooms. While we were there perhaps 120 of those rooms were occupied so it didn’t feel crowded. But if you go at a time when they all will be occupied, I think it would feel crowded.

The Rooms. We stayed in the least expensive room, a garden view suite. Although it says garden view all that really mean was that there was a building in front of ours, but we were on the third floor and could easily see the ocean. We also were further back from the ocean just southeast of the main buildings. It was a quick walk to the concierge, Rendezvous (the main bar), and Coco’s Café. Just down the steps from there was the Market Café and a little further west you find all the main restaurants.

The rooms are spacious with double sinks (they aren’t right next to each other—one is near the bathtub and the other by the shower). Jackie was looking for a full length mirror and finally found two. One is on the back of the doors for the wardrobe closet and on the back of the sliding door for the bathroom. She also vowed the next time we go she would bring her own hair dryer as the one in the room wasn’t powerful enough for her.

I really liked the door they had if you ordered room service and the lights to either tell the maids the room was ready to be cleaned or you didn’t want to be disturbed. One of the faults we had found with other Secret Resorts were the beds were too hard for our taste. However, the bed at SPLC was pretty comfortable.

The Restaurants. I’m going to rate the restaurants on three things. First is the view and ambiance, second, is the presentation of the food, and third is the quality of the food.
Oceana. The restaurant closest to the ocean and the most romantic, Oceana has three different kinds of tables and chairs and we like the white wicker ones best. Oceana and Seaside are the only two restaurants that don’t have an air conditioned indoor seating area and the heat can be brutal until the sun goes behind the mountains. That happened around 7:40 PM while we were there and after that happened, it became much more comfortable. You may have seen pictures of a table that seems to be by itself—and it is. It is a wine table. In order to sit there you need to order a bottle of wine off the wine list and the wines range from $45 up. I would rate it at 5+ in view and ambiance.
The presentation of the food is great. I would give it a 5.

Finally the quality of the food was good. Jackie ordered crab cakes the first time we ate there and found bits of shell in the cakes. She wasn’t impressed with the shrimp brisk. But she thought the entrees were very good. I had steak (I’m not a fish eater) and found it to be very good as well. Overall the food quality gets a 4 from us and Oceana gets a 4.5+.
Seaside Grill. Seaside is another restaurant that doesn’t have an indoor seating area so it can get hot there. It is open for lunch and dinner.

Seaside overlooks the main pool and further down is the ocean. It has the term grill in its name so the ambiance is that of a nice grill, but it really isn’t romantic or special. I would rate the ambiance and view as a 4.
The presentation of the food is good. I would give it a 4.

Finally the quality of the food was good. Jackie enjoyed the tacos (we only ate lunch there) and we would give it a 3.5. Overall the Seaside Grill gets a 3.5+.

El Patio (Mexican Restaurant). We have found that at most of the resorts we’ve encountered to be our least favorite. That wasn’t the case with El Patio. The view and the ambiance were terrific. The outdoor section was a round patio with shade including a rather large tree. Indoor they have a beautiful layout and it is nicely air conditioned. I would rate the ambiance and view as a 5. The presentation of the food is good. I would give it a 5.
The quality of the food was very good. Jackie loved the Avocado soup and she had a special grill dinner (as did I). Overall, we would give the food 4.5 and the rating of the restaurant was 4.5
Himatsu. Next door to the El Patio is Himatsu, the Asian restaurant. We ate there twice. We intended on trying the Teppenyaki tables but didn’t get our reservation in soon enough. Both times they only had the 6 PM seating and the 9 PM seating left when we tried. The outdoor area is spectacular in its design and the view is good. We ate the first time outdoors and the second time indoors. Both were great experiences. I would rate the ambiance and view as a 5.
The presentation of the food is good. I would give it a 5.
The quality of the food was very good. I liked the fact that even though we weren’t at the Teppenyaki tables you could order some of the same food that they cooked there. We had fried ice cream for dessert here. The food here also rated a 4.5 and the restaurant overall a 4.5.

Portifino. Portifino is the Italian Restaurant and was probably the most disappointing one. It is on the second floor with two outdoor areas to sit. Both had nice views, but the ambiance wasn’t there. I would rate the ambiance and the view as a 4.
The presentation of the food is good. I would give it a 4.
The quality of the food was not what you would expect. This was the Italian Restaurant, but you didn’t smell the garlic and the other herbs you associate with Italian cooking. It was a disappointment and we would only give the food a 3. Overall the restaurant was our lowest rating for the ala cartes with a 3.5.

Market Café. It was only open in for breakfast and lunch while we were there. I assume when the resort is more full, it will be open for dinner as well.
This restaurant has an okay view and ambiance. It doesn’t compare to the better restaurants in this regard so I would only give it a 3.5.
The presentation of the food is how it was presented in the buffet tables. It was well done, but nothing exceptional. We give it a rating of 4.
The quality of the food was in fact pretty good. We are talking breakfast and lunch. Jackie loved the spiciness of the dishes. So for the quality of the food we will give it a 4 and overall rate the Market Café as a 4.0.

In summary Jackie and I differed a bit in how we would rate the restaurants overall. Both of us thought Oceana was the best. My list then was Himatsu, The Patio, Seaside Grill, the Market Café, and Portifinos. Jackie’s was The Patio, Himatsu, Seaside Grill, the Market Café and Portifinos.

The drinks. The drinks are pretty good everywhere. They have a featured drink each day. We did find the selection and drinks at Rendezvous to be the best. Also BarRacuda was not open yet (they had a temporary bar by the beach). BarRacuda btw is a swing bar and should be a great spot to “hang” around at the beach.

Entertainment. We went to a show they had on the beach on Friday night and then to a Tropical Island show on Tuesday. We also went to see an outstanding guitarist on two separate nights at Rendezvous. On many nights we went down to Oceana and the pool there to just sit and look at the stars.

The staff. This was one of the most outstanding staffs

Conclusion. A great resort, but I recommend you go to it soon. As I mentioned earlier, I don’t think they have a big enough footprint to handle 1000 guests without it being very crowded.

Room Tip: The swim out rooms are a bit more. But the swim out rooms in the garden view don't have a view...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
12  Thank goodspkr
There are newer reviews for Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Being in the travel business, you are always watching for those special locations and resorts. In April, I took my husband and 2 client couples to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. From the arrival greetings, to Concierge check-in and champagne, through to our departure...This resort and all of the staff receives the highest of compliments.

The resort is new, opening last December. The placement of the buildings...rooms are facing the golf course, gardens or the ocean. Beautiful multi area pool near the main building, and a smaller pool/jacuzzi towards the beach. Great pool bar, and service around the pool for drinks. The beach area was not swimmable due to the rip tides and heavy seas, but to sit under the palapas, have drink service and listen to the oceans waves crashing along the shore...Paradise! If you don't care about swimming in the ocean, you're fine...but you can walk down the beach to a public area to swim.

We enjoyed dining at all the restaurants, and loved Portfino's. Breakfast in the Market Café was over the top...My husband and I had room service one evening...the food was good and hot. I ask them to bring it in on a serving cart, and the food was in a heated container. The suites were wonderful! Large comfortable area, the bedding to die for...and the bath...anyone would love to have this bathroom in their home. Large Jacuzzi tub, two separate lavatories locations (his and hers), stand alone glass enclosed shower, separate water closet and lovely bath amenities. Housekeeping did a great job of taking care of all three suites, and making sure we had everything we needed.

Entertainment and activities are constant...you will not get board! We did a day trip to Todos Santos, and had a great time! Did some shopping around San Jose del Cabo. Lots of nice and fun things to bring home. Don't miss the Spa. Take a few hours and enjoy heaven! The Spa facilities are beautiful, and will bring a sense of peace to you. If you are planning a wedding, the wedding gazebo is a perfect place to bring family and friends together for that special day. You will have it all to yourselves. It is set in a secluded, pretty area for of the resort for privacy. Golf...if you are up to a challenge, you are going to get one here. Nicholas and Norman designed the Puerto Los Cabos golf course next to the resort, and they put together a course for only the brave at heart to play!

We had a wonderful time, and thank so many of the staff from the Concierge Service, resort staff, housekeeping, wait staff, to the grounds personnel that kept all the landscaping so perfect. We will return soon, and will send traveler's to enjoy the graciousness of Secrets Puerto Los Cabos.
Many thanks to Patricia Cabral, Francis Drillien, Karla Ponce, Alfonso and Rubin.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank Sunburstmt
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We came here for a wedding and stayed three nights. What is not to like about a place when checking in the first question you are asked is, "Would you like some champagne?" Overall it was a good experience.

First the room we had was amazing. Having stayed all over the world I would rank the bathtub number one on our list. Everything in the room was nice including the balcony. We had breakfast delivered to our room every morning and ate listening to the feint sound of pounding waves. Breakfast in your room, included, is a must!

This was our first time to stay at an all inclusive. In my mind it is much like a cruise on land. Everything is included even drinks.

A word of advice given by many, always ask for a double or strong. Otherwise you will get a very watered down version of the drink you want.

We did not get to experience many of the restaurants as the wedding took many of our meal times. We did eat our last night in the Italian restaurant and I would simply say it was average. I would have low expectations for eating as the food while good is not outstanding.

Why go? To do nothing but lay in and around the pool with a cool drink in your hand served by wonderful staff. The ocean while impressive is disappointing in that you cannot get in the pounding surf unless you have a death wish. To swim in the ocean is a long walk on very soft and extremely hot sand. So, wear shoes if you try that.

On the whole, while very hot in July we had a good time. If you need a trip to simply relax and do nothing this is the place.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank MarktheBrooks
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Stayed at SPLC from 6/21 -6/28. We were originally supposed to arrive on 6/20, but had a delayed connecting flight in Mexico City. We arrived at about 2am on 6/21. We avoided any timeshare presentations in the airport and at the hotel. Check-in was quick and easy. Becuase we were there on our honeymoon, there was a nie welcome letter and bottle of champagne. The 24 hour room service was super handy at this point, as we were starving!!! Every single employee at this resort goes above and beyond. PLEASE be sure to TIP. I can't tell you how many people we saw not tipping. Being a NY'er I find this highly insulting to the dedication and hard work of the staff. We started out in a garden view room in bldg 2 (which technically has an ocean view). We quickly upgraded to a swimout in bldg. 2 after spending a day at the main pool. The water-aerobics and volleyball get old after about 2 days. There were also several groups of people who in their mid 40's -50's who forgot they were in Puerto Los Cabos and not San Lucas, or Cancun for that matter. Each afternoon we enjoyed our swim out pool with no one around to bother us. The mini-bar was restocked daily and if you are present when they restock and tip a couple of $$, you will certainly get extra Coronitas & Pacificas! We also found that in order to have the room decorated for our honeymoon, that we needed to be preent for a phone call from either the Room Service Manager or Concierge. They had told us that they were trying to reach us, as we often had the "do not distrub" light on. We came back from dinner with a room decorated with roses and a banner on the door, it was so nice. Honeymoon breakfast needed to be set up with the concierge and it came within 15 minutes of our requested time. The rooms were great and room service wonderful.

BEACH:
The sand is very hot and coarse, and due to the riptide/"undertow" it is unswimmable. You can walk about 15-30 min (depending on how quick you move) to the marina and swim with the locals. We did this one day and certainly it was nice to get in the Sea of Cortez! But the walk back was brutal!

FOOD:
Breakfast - Market Cafe was wonderful - we sat in Solimando's section daily. He was wonderful.
Lunch: we ate at Seaside Grill- the food was good, but the service is slow. Barefoot Grill --- THANK YOU CRUZ! This guy hustles, he is constantly getting you drink refills and clearing your plates. This seemed to be more Americanized food: pizza, fajitas, burgers/hotdogs, chips.
Dinner: The first night we ate at Market Cafe for the Mexican Show- the show was great, food was good too. The only other restaurants we ate at were Portofino, Oceana, and Seaside Grill. Only ate at Oceana, and Portofino. You must try the catch of the day at Oceana! Portofino- everything on the menu is great. Again, with seaside - the service is spotty, which makes for a less than pleasant dinner experience.

POOL: The service goes above here: THANK YOU ABEL & JUAN. Seriously the BEST waiters at the pool. Never had an empty glass.

EXCURSIONS: We did a glass bottom boat tour of San Lucas - the Arches, for $40pp including transportation. I am glad that we saw San Lucas. The drivers try to push you to stay longer for "shopping time". We opted out, and took the 9:40am bus there and 1:00pm bus back. 1 hour of shopping/drinking/being harassed by people on the street was enough for us. The Amstar reps on property were lovely to talk to and did not try to push any excursions or upsell.

The only real dissappointment here is the lack fo a swimmable beach. I also think if the hotel is at full capacity, there will be a problem with the size of the pool, perhaps they will build another?
Overall, great stay at Secrets PLC --- it toook way too long to get to and from NY so not sure if we will return, but will definitely now only be staying at AM resort properties. I feel the need to keep saying this: the service was OUTSTANDING. Thank you Cruz(Barefoot), Abel &Juan(Pool), Santos(room service), Solimando(Market Cafe) & Silvia(Rendevous)

Room Tip: We upgraded to a swimout room bldg. 2, you lose the ocean view, but you will be grateful to swim in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CMH1013
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed here 5 nights, service is 5 star in every way. Nice pools not crowded at all, swim up bar, plenty of chairs with bar service. Rooms are superb in every way. Huge soaking tub, separate shower and plenty of counter space, two separate lavatories with upscale toiletries. Bed are relaxing and comfortable. Turn down service, rooms cleaned twice a day. Everyone of the staff provided first class customer service. The only reason I did not give them a 5 star was the food. Breakfast buffet was great, lunches were excellent however the dinners were only average or slightly below. The food at the Italian restaurant was not very tasty, lacked flavor and not much variety. The wine (Merlot) was not good at all, low grade at best. That would not keep me from returning though. Overall a very nice, clean, service oriented resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bill S
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Beach...yes the undertow is horrible and yes Doug we did loose a lot of things but came out of it with great new friends. See you in San Antonio or the next Secrets resort whichever comes first.
Cabo San Lucas... We did have fun partying at Cabo Wabo and Squid Roe the people in town were very friendly but when you return to resort don't mention Sammy Hagar owning Cabo Wabo because the younger people (Olivia) will make you feel old when they don't know who he is.
Spa.. Absolutely amazing I had the best 80 minute deep tissue message I have ever had. The entire staff within the spa were so friendly and helpful.
Room...our room was on the second floor I prefer the view over the swim out pool. The rooms were very clean and had plenty of room to move around. If you like to unpack all your clothes they have plenty of drawer space as well as hanging space.
Pools... The big pool was fine but you can't see or hear the ocean once your laying on your chair. We spent the majority of our time at smaller infinity pool which had an amazing view that overlooks the ocean. So even though you can't really hang out on beach because it's so hot and you can't get in water to cool off you still can have the beach feeling.
Great trip!

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank Missy H
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We taveled to this great resort back in January of 2014, the resort was very new (only around weeks open) so there were a few things that had not been completed. Overall this is going to be one of the top secret resorts soon. To keep it short I will list the best and the most disappointing things only.

Food - 4 star. Very tasty and good options. Don't waste money one a beach dinner.
Room - 3.5 star. We had the swim out room, it was nice but didn't compare to Maroma Beach.
Service - 5 star. Any place that can keep drinks and food flowing and poolside towels at the ready is great in my book.
View - 5 star. Ocean on one side mountain on the other need I say more.
Beach - 2 star. If you are looking to swim go elsewhere, that being said the sound of the waves hitting the beach were amazing.
Housekeeping - 3.5 stars. The room was cleaned 2-3 times daily...but at very different and odd times. No turn down service on most nights.

Overall this place is nice, worth the price but not ready for the big leagues of Secrets Maroma Beach or the Zoetry line.

Room Tip: Swim out rooms are still the way to go.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wvu2NC
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#21 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#20 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!