“Super Relaxing, Perfect Getaway Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Denver, Colorado
“Super Relaxing, Perfect Getaway Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

First, i'll start by saying I was a little nervous about some of the negative reviews on here, but people will always be haters! Don't be deterred- we got a great deal on our room (we did a special promotion) and this was hands down the best vacation I have ever had. The resort is brand new and gorgeous- the staff are super nice and helpful, the weather is perfect, food is great. You cannot go wrong. Perfect location for a getaway with your other half. Here are a couple tips:

Yes, they try to sell timeshares here. But honestly, all you need to do is be upfront- when we checked in I said I'm not interested in a presentation (they didn't even ask), I never used the "coupons" and they left us alone. Enjoy your time and don't bother getting the timeshare presentation for free stuff- you're better off participating in activities and winning prizes by having fun!

Food is the best I've had at an all inclusive. Honestly, it's great. My favorite restaurant was Portofino. Not everything I ate was amazing but overall i was VERY impressed. The drinks aren't very strong but just ask them to throw an extra shot into your pina colada and problem solved. Constant access to fresh guac by the pool! Yumm

The staff here are amazing. My favorite was the entertainment staff. I worry a little that they're underpaid and work very hard, but then again that may be the case at all resorts in Cabo. Overall, i was very very happy with how helpful everyone was. Everyone says "hola!" and asks you if you want drinks all day long, it's the best!

Book here and enjoy your stay, you won't regret it! We had a blast.

Room Tip: Rooms with a swim out pool are awesome!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank TheJAR77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Gorgeous setting with the beautiful blue ocean & challenging golf course right out your door step. I had a suite on the fifth floor where I could admire the sunsets in the evenings from my balcony. The bathroom was to die for with the massive soaker/Jacuzzi tub & a separate shower area & a separate toilet area. How perfect!!

Room Tip: Building is #8 is the premium location closest to the ocean. But I have to admit, there really is no...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Chimodog
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Wonderful new resort! Stayed in May for 5 nites. Our favorite resort so far.( stayed @ Pacifica,& zoetry) still needs some improvement : the restaurants weren't consistent. Had a so so meal @ portifino, duplicated the same meal on a different night, & it was excellent. Love the fact that you can choose to do activities, or not. All the guests were mostly proffesionals,30's -50's. no spring breakers! All in all, after the kinks are worked out, it will be top notch. Even with the negatives, we are planning on returning in October!

Room Tip: Don't waste your money for an upgraded room. All rooms are ocean view, unless you wan't a sw...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Missmmargie
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

First of all let me say the resort is beautiful and the food is good for it being an all inclusive resort.

-Now for our experience-

We arrived at the hotel to friendly employees and a glass of champagne. They started off by giving us our room key and directed us to a desk where we would get our $200 resort credit. This is the start of the scam. You have $200 to spend however your can't use it all at one time. You can use a $20 coupon for a spa treatments that costs $180, or a $40 coupon for a $250 round of golf. Or you can do their special resort tour and they will give you an 80 minute massage for only $100. This presentation only takes 90 minutes and this was a hard sell, they pleaded with us to go because they have kids and needed the bonus for signing us up. We of course heard from other guests that it took about 5 hours. The following morning we were called multiple times by the front desk to remind us of our 9am breakfast.

Throughout the course of our week stay we had were trying to have breakfast lunch and dinner at different restaurants however only 3 restaurants we open at one time. Service was slow and sloppy. We often had to order twice and food rarely came out at the the same time for our party. The buffet was the best restaurant as the food was good and you could grab and go.

Drinks were extremely watered down, for you people that want to party don't plan on getting drunk here. Speaking of drinking the swim up bar closes at around 5 and they kick people out of the pool around 7. After that you're able to drink your beers in your fridge but if you want more good luck.

On of our final issues with this trip is when my wife and I went to the concierge to book the sling swing at Wild Canyon (Do it if you have a chance, the swing is awesome!) We were having issues with the dates being full with the canyon and my wife had the idea of doing it on our last day Saturday before our flight. Our shuttle to the airport was scheduled to take off at 2:30 so we wanted to make sure we got back to the hotel before noon. The concierge assured us we would be back well before noon. Saturday morning we get to wild canyon and see that the shuttle wouldn't be picking us up until 12:45. Had we waited for it we would probably not have had enough time to shower and we would have got a late checkout fee of $40 so we were forced to take a taxi back to the resort. I asked the resort to reimburse me for the $50 taxi ride and it took about 30 minutes of arguing with the concierge that he has a responsibilty to give his guests accurate information. Finally he gave me $50 cash.

This place is a scam. It's all about trying to squeeze every dime out of you while you're there. You spend a lot of money to go to this hotel and they shouldn't treat you this way.

Don't stay at this resort!

One more thing to point out. My wife and I went with two other parties each had a separate room and in the morning of departure all three of our rooms had one robe missing. Now we all have to keep track of our credit cards making sure they don't charge us for the missing robes.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank todd K
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

We just return from a four night stay at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. We have stayed at other Secrets and other top rated all inclusive resorts.

This resort did a very good job for the short time it has been opened. The staff were great to us and tried very hard to accommodate. I was a little disappointed when we asked for a higher floor room and were charged for the upgrade, given the resort was brand new and at a very low occupancy. We did pay and were glad we did as the higher room gave us a nice view of the golf course with the ocean in the distance.

The food was very good and the staff in the restaurants are trying very hard to please.

The room was very functional and kept clean and was serviced by noon each day. Turn down service is not important to us, but it was advertised and did did not happen.

We will go back to this resort, and recommend it to our friends, as I am sure it will only get better with time.

2 Thank Fredbvegas
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Visited the resort end of May, early June. I had booked a junior suite, but we got upgraded to a swim out suite. At first my husband wasn’t too pleased as he would’ve preferred a higher floor room for the view, but in the end, it turned out well because we were centrally located. Calling the room a “suite” was a bit of a stretch. There was a small couch next to the bed. I found it odd that there wasn’t a table and chairs to eat at if ordering room service. Very little floor space to store luggage, housekeeping put ours on the couch. The bed was firm, which we liked and it had built in USB chargers in the headboard. Plenty of shelf/drawer space for clothes, however I would've liked more hanging space in the armoir.

The bathroom was oversized with his and hers sinks on either side of the room. A separate toilet room and a large shower with two shower heads.

The first few days we were there, there was a large group (about 500 people) attending an event. This did not interfere with service. There weren’t any wait times for dinner, however getting drinks at the swim up bar could take a while.

The main pool was large and getting a chair was never a problem. I’m only 5’2” and the pool was very deep. Even on my tip toes, the water was up to my neck. I would’ve preferred it to be a little shallower. The pool had some areas with a large shallow ledge area where at other resorts, they would’ve put the loungers there. I’m thinking that because their loungers were made of metal that was the reason they didn’t do that. I always take along my own inflatable floatie chair in case resort floats aren’t available. I had it in the pool and was told that I wasn’t allowed to use it. However, it did come in handy at our swim out room in the late afternoon. I left it on our patio, hoping housekeeping would leave it there for the next guest 

Food is subjective, and everyone has their own likes. We always found something tasty and my favorite was the skirt steak for lunch at the Seaside Grill. I did like that food was available at the barefoot grill in the afternoon and was very handy to grab a plate and take back to the pool lounger. The waitstaff would even prepare a plate for you and bring it to you.
Once the large group of people left, only the Market Café was open for breakfast. I’m glad we got to enjoy breakfast once at Oceana. We’ve had better buffets at other resorts than the breakfast buffet at Market Café. Not sure what to pinpoint it on, but both my husband and I (and a couple other guests that we spoke with) came down with a tummy bug. Nothing to keep us in the room, but glad that there were plenty of bathrooms across the resort.

We didn’t participate in any resort activities, but I did do the beach walk one morning. We took a walk to the marina, which took about 20 minutes. There, the water is much calmer for swimming. The beach has very coarse sand and in some places can get very hot and because of the slope, can make for a good leg workout. The Barracuda bar was scheduled to open right after we left. There is a large deck area once you exit the tunnel to the beach and the bar was on the right side of it. I’m sure once the permanent bar is open, more people will flock to the beach.

We left the resort twice. Once to go into San Jose for a little shopping and once for dinner at The Container at the marina. Taxi cost to both was $15/one way. If you’re planning on making multiple trips outside the resort, a rental car might be a better option.

Would we return? Since Cabo doesn’t have an abundance of all inclusives and it is nice to go to an adults only, I’d say yes. The cost was higher than other resorts we’ve been to in the area, but I’d say it was worth the money. If you’re lucky enough to get this resort when going thru Apple’s Square Deal, it’s a huge savings and an incredible deal.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank shelb
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos is an ideal location for anyone visiting Cabo San Lucas. Not far from the airport and about 20 minutes from downtown Cabo, the location is ideal for first timers to Mexico. The grounds of the resort are well protected and the staff members are truly hospitable. They are genuinely concerned about your experience. The on-site entertainment in the evening is wonderful and the food an beverage is excellent.

I highly recommend first floor rooms as most of them have an infinity pool right off of the patio. The all inclusive experience also does not compromise service as is sometimes the case. If considering Mexico, I strongly consider you stay here!

Room Tip: First floor rooms with attached infinity pool!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#18 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,252 reviews
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#18 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#31 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,316 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Res...
#24 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!