“Wonderful resort and service”

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed May 10, 2014

My wife and I arrived at Cabos Airport on April 27th. Cab ride to Secrets was $65.00. We arrived and were immediately assigned a resort staff person to see to our needs. He enlighten us to special deals at the resort and excursion into town and gave us coupons to use on these extras for reduce prices. We had to give him $40.00 for the coupon book that was refundable if we would meet him first thing the next morning for a 90 minute tour of the resort. We did and met him at 9:00 am the next morning and he refunded me our $40.00. This turned into a nightmare Secrets vacation package membership presentation. They make all kinds of promises and the deal sounds great till you ask to see the contract. At that time they tell you, you can't see the contract till they scan your credit card. At that time and only then is the contract printed up and you can see it. Oh, and also that all sales are final. No cancellations allowed. Stay away from these shysters. This was the low point of our vacation. All the other people we spoke to had the same experience. Secrets should be ashamed of this practice.
After we put all this behind us we got on with our vacation. The hotel is very nice and all the restaurant's are very good. The staff is the best you could ask for. Everyone is very courteous and respectful. The resort is only about half full due to it being new. Don't think you're going there to swim in the ocean. The current and waves are ferocious. But there is nice palapas to sit or lay out under with staff serving drinks or what ever you may want.. If you want to get wet get into the very nice pool with swim up bars. If not for the high pressure sales crap at the very beginning this would have been a 100% perfect vacation and resort.

Room Tip: Stay on floors 4 or 5 to get a great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank John E

Reviewed May 10, 2014

We got a seas of the deals deal through Cheap Caribbean. A great value and amazing hotel. The rooms were nicely set up and the service every where on the resort was top notch. We stayed for 4 night and 5 days. The pool and hot tubs were the best in any all inclusive we have stayed. The beach was good but not swimmable. We took advantage of a few of the different dinning options. The room service was awesome and they deliver into a cool two sided door(secrets door). We stayed by the pool most of the time and drank the day away in the perfect weather. Hugo was our guy at the pool and would deliver new drinks before our last was empty. Everyone was looking to please you and not one person looked unhappy to be there. That seems like a given but we have been in other resorts were people don't seem that into it. Based on this experience i will return to cabo, I will also stay with secrets again if there other properties are as well laid out and full of warm and friendly people. I'd also add that this might be the best deal i have scored using various booking agents in the past. I would also recommend Cheap Caribbean again! Couple side notes. You are quite far from cabo san lucas a 30-40 minute ride in a cab and about 60 USD each way. You are on the other hand close to smaller but quaint San Jose del Cabo. That was like 10 minutes away and had shopping and art districts. We did neither because we really wanted to relax and enjoy the beautiful views.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rguns
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Arrived at the airport, remember to go right instead of left after pushing the red button. If you go left expect to get haggled into different day trips/visiting different resorts for speeches/etc. We used Cabo Transfers and they had new, large SUV's to take us back and forth between the hotel. When picking us up to return us at the end of the trip they were 15 minutes early. I highly recommend them.

Arrived at the hotel and was given champagne and a cold towel. Check in was a breeze but then they took us to the VIP services desk - they took too much time and wanted to sell us everything including the moon. Pretty much overkill and I hated every part of it. They gave us a lot of pressure to go to the breakfast and listen to a 90 minute speech on their resorts - we weren't having it and had to repeat that to them numerous times. Just remember you don't have to go to the 90 minute breakfast.

The pool area was great, there was always about 50% of the chairs filled and the resort felt dead. We went 30 April - 5 May and the resort even told us that it was their "dead time of year." That was nice but I fear if it would have been packed we wouldn't have been given the great pool side drink service that we received daily. The music was horrible until about 3 or 4p. The people who provide the entertainment were great! Wish they would have had Dos Equis and the real Don Julio.

Beach - limited, the waves are HUGE! No getting in the water but hearing the waves crash was awesome. They are still constructing the beach bar. The Marina was a short 20-25 minute walk and they provided one of our members a day of Mahi Mahi fishing for $250 dollars.

Italian was our favorite followed closely by Oceana. We tried the Mexican and wasn't that impressed. The service at all restaurants was above and beyond. I wish they would have had more seafood variety at lunch but the snack area for lunch was by far the best - can't go wrong with guac/pico and chips, so so fresh!

The entertainment was lack luster - this should probably be where they focus much of their attention. Mexican theme night was the best and the "bird cage bar" upstairs next to the jewelry shop usually had some great entertainment with jazz, local singers and flaming coffees! It was our standard meet up every night between all 6 of us who went to the resort.

The art walk on Thursday was recommended by many people we talked to after the fact. We wanted to do the bar crawl on Saturday night but after the sun all day and the show time not being until 9p we had to pass it up. Never got a firm "yay or nah" if it was good.

Room service was hit or miss. There were a couple of times they missed room service/turn down service/filling our fridge but a quick phone call and they come and replace or service any of the things you need.

Overall beautiful resort - would recommend to a friend but I would tell them to stay far far away from the VIP desk after check in and only go to them if they want to do a day trip or two. This resort just opened a couple of months ago so I think they will eventually get the hang of it after some time.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Chelcpilot
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We were here from 4 Mar-11 Mar.
Used Impala transfers to resort and they were excellent.

In building 3 at first didn't know if we wanted to move but loved the view from the third floor.

Food was good. Ate at all of the restaurants. After 2nd day ate breakfast at the Oceania because we stayed at that pool.

The resort is beautiful and only see it getting better and better.

The only problem we had was that while we were there 2 corporate groups were there and they were not the best behaved. Very loud and obnoxious.

The staff was some of the best we have ever encountered,

Rooms were very clean and loved that there was free internet and phone calls.

Were are planning on returning in July.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sunny50
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos

My husband and I are just wrapping up a ten day stay with Secrets Puerto Los Cabos. This is our 5th stay at an AM Resorts hotel including Secrets Marquis, Secrets Maroma, Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita. We have also stayed at various other hotels including Excellence Playa Mujeres, Royal Hideaway, and Sanctuary Cap Cana.

Overall I would say this is definitely one of our favorite resorts, and definitely one of our favorite of the AM Resorts. With the property being brand new, everything is in perfect shape which made our overall experience even better. Below is some more specific feedback regarding various aspects of the resort:

Grounds
This is an absolutely stunning property. Everything is pristine, the grounds are well manicured and the buildings, pools, furniture, rooms and layout are well designed. If you are staying in a junior suite garden view or ocean view you may have a long walk to the beach. As long as you ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor you will have a full view of the ocean. The swim up rooms tend to be on the ground floor so you may not have a direct view of the ocean unless you are staying in the preferred club. The property at this hotel is spread out so getting back and forth to your room during the day is a bit of a walk, but not terrible. There are very pristine bathrooms throughout the property so a bathroom run is always convenient.

There is also a jogging path through the hotel, which I noticed many people taking advantage of. If you like to walk or run, whether it is on the beach or jogging path, get up early in the morning before it gets too hot, otherwise, you may have a tough time.

There is also the Puerto Los Cabos golf course that runs along the front part of the Hotel and it is beautiful to watch the golfers come along during the day. We heard from multiple people that it is about $250 a round during peak times, and that the course itself is a tough one. Twilight offers cheaper rates of course, but I am not sure how much.

Pools
The pools are stunning - there is one main large pool which is in the center of the property. This is where they will have most of the music, activities, water aerobics, and pool volleyball. This is also where the pool bar is located so if you want to be in the center of everything this is the place to be. It is a long pool however so the end of the pool that is opposite from where the pool bar is, tends to be quieter so you can still get the best of both worlds at the main pool.

There is also a very quiet pool that runs along the front of Oceana Restaurant. It is closer to being beach front and has pretty views. There is also a nice area in front of this pool that has umbrellas and chairs that are right on the 15th hole. This is a bit of a coveted location so if you like that area, you may want to get up early to get that spot. I found the bar service to be a bit slow there however.

For the most part, there isn't a mad rush for chairs, so unless you have a really coveted spot, then you should be ok. Reserving is generally frowned upon and I had heard that there were guests that moved other peoples things if you were gone for more than 30 mins. The hotel policy is just that, so 30 mins or more and you may have your items moved by hotel staff.

Beach
I would have to say that this is the one area that is lacking at this property. The hotel is not actually on the beach, it is beach front, but you do have a bit of a walk to get to the beach. There are massive waves breaking on the shoreline and definitely not a beach that you can swim in. The waves are so big that there were times where you could feel the spray up at this one area of the quiet pool. It was not bad, but I think this helps you get the concept of how large the waves are. We have heard there is also a 150 foot drop off within feet of the beach which adds to the "no swimming" situation. The waves are absolutely beautiful to watch but it has eroded the beach a bit making walking a bit difficult because of the angle of the shoreline. Also you are forced to walk higher up where the sand is very soft so it makes walking even more difficult. A note regarding walking the beach - bring walking shoes, some of the sand is dark or black in various areas and it gets incredibly hot to walk on. Since the waves can be pretty wild, it makes it difficult to walk along the shoreline to keep you feet cool.

We have heard that about 20 mins down the beach is a beautiful area for swimming and I think every morning the entertainment team do the beach walk to that area. My husband and I did walk down to the marina, and I saw what appeared to be a little inlet where people could swim, but I am not sure if this is what people we referring to. There is an inlet about 10 mins down the beach from Secrets Marquis and honestly that was stunning.

If you do decide to hang at the beach, the are in the process of finishing the beach bar which looks amazing. It will also have a huge deck where I believe they will have tables and umbrellas. There are also multiple palapas and chairs to choose from so I don't think you have to worry about reserving chairs too much. Until the beach bar is finished, they do have a makeshift bar at the beach to serve the guests which works fine in the interim.

Food -
Breakfast at the World Cafe was excellent, but the a la cart breakfasts at oceana were worth choosing over the buffet, try the French toast, waffles, or the American Classic.

Portofino was definitely our favorite, we ate there 4 nights out of our trip and the food was consistently good. The lamb osso bucco is definitely worth getting. Its a popular dish and worth every bite. My husband raved about the beef carpaccio and had it almost every night. The risotto is also excellent as well. We became very good friends with someone who was at the hotel to write an article about the all inclusive experience, he ate dinner with us every night and considering he had a background in fine cuisine, and he was a sommelier he had some very good things to say about the food and wine selections at this hotel. He had the octopus a few times which he said was very very good and perfectly cooked.

Seaside Grill had an amazing spare rib dish that was smothered in a honey mustard glaze. Not something I would expect to have on ribs, but the taste was utterly delectable. This restaurant also had a very good lunch, separate from the daily buffet that was offered.

Himitsu was very good, it was our first time trying it and both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised with the dishes we had. I was a bit disappointed with the pad thai as there were more veggies than actual noodles in the dish.

Lunch buffet - Every day they offered fresh guacamole, salsa, chips, quesadillas, chicken, beef, chicken tenders, wings, mozzarella sticks, burgers and grilled chicken patties to choose from. The buffet was very good with the exception of the chicken tenders which were a bit dried out. Otherwise though, very good options for a quick lunch. You could eat at the tables at the buffet or bring your food back to your lounge chair.

Drinks - Very good, the pina coladas were excellent as was the sangria and some of the other mixed drinks. If something is not strong enough, simply ask for more alcohol and they will gladly oblige.

Room
The room is well decorated and nicely appointed. The shower has one of those overhead shower heads that rain down on you from the ceiling. Its excellent. While we were there however there was this awful stench coming from the toilet which made the entire room smell like sewage. We learned to keep the toilet seat down and the toilet door closed with the overhead fan on so that it kept the stench at bay. This was definitely the one negative from our stay. If you did these things then everything was fine.

We also noticed that when you leave the room for the day, everything shuts down to conserve energy. There were a few times when we would come back to the room and the room was warm and our phones had not charged. There is a sensor in the room so once you enter the room however, everything comes right on and the room cools down pretty quickly.

Bed is extremely comfortable, and the balcony doors have screen doors so that you can sleep at night with the doors open and do not have to worry about the bugs coming in.

The in room minibar is fine, stocked with water, sodas, and beer. We did room service one night and it was totally worth it, we had beef carpaccio, five cheese onion soup, beef tenderloin, and a shrimp scampi which was excellent.

Staff
The staff at this property work extremely hard and they all do an excellent job to make your stay pleasant. We did not encounter a single negative experience with any of the staff. I would like to mention the following as the most memorable from our stay - Blanca at the oceana pool, Arturo the restaurant manager at oceana, Jorge the waiter at himitsu, Alejandro the waiter at the main pool, Oscar at Portofino, Hugo who handled our pool service, Leonardo who was responsible for pool area set up every morning and most memorable of all - Oscar on the entertainment team.

A word about tipping. Please do it. Everyone works hard and they deserve it. Each person gets to keep their own tips so if you like someone tip him or her well. Also leave a tip for your housekeeper every day. A couple of dollars here or there will always suffice. My husband and I always bring about $500 in $20, $10, $5 and $1 and in all honesty half that amount gets us through 10 days of lunches dinners and drink tips.

Entertainment
The entertainment team does a good job of trying to keep everyone engaged and entertained. Oscar especially is the most memorable of the entire group - he is full of energy, funny and goes out of his way to interact with various guests. He is wonderful.

During the week there was karaoke night, volleyball, water aerobics, yoga, beach walks, casino night, secrets idol, horse races, games where you take your best guess on items and win prizes. There is no pressure to participate but there was always a good crowd joining in.

During the week they also set up a coconut bar - they spent hours cutting open all the coconuts and mixing up the coconut juice to make coco locos. They served it in the coconut and afterwards would split the coconut open so that you could eat the jelly.

Weather
If you have never experienced Cabo please make sure you try to go between Nov and May - it was stunning, cloudless days, no rain, and comfortable temperatures. No bugs, low humidity, and gorgeous sunsets. It is safe and prettier than Cancun or Riviera Maya in terms of location with the exception of the beaches. Overall beaches in Riviera Maya are stunning, swimmable with white sand and blue waters.

By the way during the trip I left my iPad Air under a towel on our beach chair. We did not notice until the next day. I was mortified because my husband had literally just bought it for me for my birthday. The next morning Leonardo helped us track it down, one of the guys cleaning up all of the towels the night before found it and took it to lost and found where it was locked up in a safe. I believe his name was Eduardo. I was so relieved and thankful that someone turned it in.

Overall I would have to say that this is our favorite AMResorts property. We have done, Secrets Maroma, Marquis, and Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita and this is one of the prettiest, well designed properties of the bunch. I don't feel they have spared any expense with the grounds and it shows. There are always growing pains with a new resort, and to be honest we did not see any and we will definitely be back soon.

Only two days left in this glorious place. Feel free to write me if you have specific questions. Be sure to check out the photos of the property that I posted. Next stop Iberostar Grand in October!!!

Room Tip: Third floor or higher. A garden view room on these floors will still afford you a gorgeous ocean vie...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Chantelle M
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Just wow. Great private hotel and resort.

Pluses: private resort, all inclusive,
Negatives: far from downtown , $55 to go to the airport in a cab, only two shuttle rides to cabo, RT $25.

Paid $2.6k for hotel and plane from LA. Upgrade to ocean view.... But all rooms have oceanview. The lowest floors have a swim up pool.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank thetoofguy
Reviewed May 3, 2014

It’s been a month since we stayed at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos but I can’t just let it pass without share about this Secrets.
What a wonderful resort!
Everything is new and gorgeous!
Rooms: big, well furnished, great shower and nice views I thing from every balcony.
Pools: big enough to be alone if you want, and you never have an empty glass, they’re always looking if you need or want something. Also some days there’s music alive by the pool, which make an excellent atmosphere in this area.
Restaurants: everything delicious, I think we tried all restaurants and we always found something delicious to eat.
Spa: we’ve already been in other Secrets and this is the best spa until now. The facilities are wonderful; also the pools and the attention are the best. We took a couples massage and everything from the hydrotherapy circuit to the room and masseuse worth every peso we paid for.
You won’t be disappointed if you decide to visit this resort, everybody is always trying to do their best in order you have all you want to be pleased. They’re always says: It’s my pleasure… now I say: It’s my pleasure too.

Room Tip: We stayed at building number 5 and it was perfect since it’s near everything.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MelaMx
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#21 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
#42 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#21 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!