“Memorable Stay!”

Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Like many who posted on the reviews, we were a little worried as the resort had just opened.
Here's what was our experience:
1) Staff and service: Exceptional. We are seasoned travelers and I can honestly say the people at Secrets Puerto Los Cabos (SPLC), wen't above and beyond the call of duty that one would expect at 4 and even 5 start resorts
2) Hotel and surroundings: Every room is well appointed. We had the swim-up room with a view of the sea and the golf course. The infinity pools are nicely laid out with breathless views. The bed linens were not 100% cotton though and that was our only disappointment.
3) Food: The food was quite good, Some of our favorites were the duck at the Himitsu, Pan-Asian restaurant and the Ceviche at the Seaside Grill. The choice of included wine was quite limited. A relatively expensive wine list is presented as an alternative.
4) Beach: Nice beach, but because of the strong under toe, we were discouraged to swim in the ocean. However, there are beautiful beaches around the San Jose del Cabo area.
5) Golf: We didn't play, but from what I've seen, the grounds look impeccable with spectacular views of the ocean and mountains.

I believe this was the best all-inclusive resort we've stayed at.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms have a wonderful view of the Sea of Cortez
3  Thank Tom P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,514)

Reviewed January 20, 2014

This is a beautiful new property in the Secrets family of hotels. It is in a new and upcoming area of Puerto Los Cabos. If you rent a car and drive there, it is kind of hard to find as the signage is not too good. The rooms are very generous and all have a balcony. There are marble floors, a jacuzzi bathtub, a large shower with two heads one being the rainforest type which my husband loves. There are two separate sinks across the room from each other making getting ready easy. The staff are very friendly and eager to help. One problem is a number of the people helping you don't speak English or don't understand it too well. We ate at every restaurant and for the most part enjoyed the food. The Mexican Restaurant was our least favorite and a real disappointment. The Japanese Restaurant was fabulous.
The staff around the pool had drinks coming continually. They had movies outside at night and some local shows in the evening. But, for the most part, it is a quiet resort which was just fine with us. They are still working out some of the "bugs" which are common with any new opening. It had been open only 3 weeks when we arrived. I'm not sure if it just happened to be windy while we were there, or if it is windy all the time because of the mountains. We had a problem with the toilet and it was fixed immediately. The cleaning of the rooms was slow - we came back one day at 3:30 pm and it still hadn't been cleaned. Give this property a few more months to work out the few "bugs" and it will be a great hotel. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: This is a larger resort than the Secrets Marquis, so walking is required, however, they do have a sh...
3  Thank Debra B
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Adults only but well worth it to spend quality time as a couple! Cannot say enough about the staff and service here! I have never been anywhere like it! Highly recommend! The spa is over the top as well as everything else. Everything is new and very luxurious! Would LOVE to come back someday! Lots of laughs and fun!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Jennifer Z
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Overall, I had a great experience (for the price, so it should be!!!), although being a guest within the first week of opening had it's advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages: room was beautifully appointed, clean, new, fresh, equipped with robe, slippers, toiletry items, big fluffy towels, a mini-bar, I liked the private check-in, no wristband, the pool area was excellent, beach not so much, weather perfect, free Wi-Fi. I thought the Preferred Club lounge was very convenient for a snack and beverage at any time of the day (up until 11:00pm).

Disadvantages: the building beside me was still being finished, there was no 'checklist' for completed rooms....not a big deal, but no guest book (which includes room service menu), broken screen (almost eaten alive by mosquitos my first night), no hair dryer, no light bulbs in two lights, bathroom had a funny odor (I hate to say sewage, but if that was my bathroom, I'd be doing something about it!), snack items and mini-bar not restocked unless specially asked, restaurant staff need to 'find their groove', food was often quite salty.

Another issue was that my room wasn't cleaned until late each afternoon (between 3:30pm and 5:00pm). I often thought about having an afternoon siesta, but didn't because the housekeeping staff would show up - despite the fact I was out of the room between 8:00am and 2:00pm most days and the 'OK to clean room' light was on during that time.

One pet peeve (nothing to do with the resorts, but the clientele) was the people who put a sandal or a book on lounge chairs at 8:00am by the pool and didn't show up for four hours and the people who took the flotation devices and used them on their lounge chair for additional 'cushioning' under their towels.

I know the pool serving staff worked hard in the heat, but as a single female over 50 without big boobs, I found I was ignored most of the time and often had to go and get my own beverage if I wanted one. I see another reviewer mentioned 'Hugo' as being very attentive. I guess I rubbed him the wrong way because I had to practically beg him to bring me a beverage (whether an orange juice, draft beer or mixed drink). At one point I was brought a drink that was 3/4 full! On the other hand, I thought Gabriella and her co-worker at the front desk (I can't believe I don't remember his name!!) and David in the lounge in the Preferred Club were fantastic! Friendly, cheerful and helpful at all times during my stay.

Room Tip: I was in building 6 with a swim in / swim out room which included a private deck which I spent sever...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank NortVanTripOhOlic
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We were very nervous about booking a hotel that wasn't open yet, but we were VERY pleased with our trip.
We arrived New Year's Eve. They made arrangements for a poolside party, dance floor, and fireworks show.
I would say that it was the busiest New Years Eve and Day, but was less crowded after.
It was a little difficult to get chairs on the busy days, but no problem after. Pool is not crowded at all. We were SO happy it was heated! Not to mention they have 2 hot tubs as well.

You could tell that the staff wanted to make your experience wonderful. Trying to please always. They were constantly walking around the pool area taking drink orders for you.

My trip was wonderful because it was a very relaxing atmosphere and I could not have asked for a more beautiful view. I was very pleased.

Food: It was good. I would not say the best resort food I have had, but far from the worst. They have a few restaurants open during the day around the pool, and a few at night. We didn't end up eating at all of the restaurants, but we did do the buffet one night (I'm not a huge fan of) and the Japanese restaurant. We went there a little late and had to wait over an hour. Food service was slow. Food was ok.
The guacamole at the Seaside lunch spot was delicious. We ate a ton of it. We also ordered room service a lot as well. You have to be specific with them on the phone. They still seemed a little confused with some things.
They do have a bar with tv screens that you can catch a game on. (Thank goodness!) and you could watch in your room.

The entertainment staff were really up beat and fun. I wish we could have done more with them. One thing we loved was the bike tour. Def worth the time. Many stops on the way.

The rooms were very nice. Bed was a little on the firmer side, but still comfortable. Loved the shower with two shower heads. We also had the swim out off of our balcony. It was neat to have it. But I think we would have preferred a better view. Another cool thing was that you have free wifi. Also free calls to the U.S. However, the phone service was not very good. You could use your phone with it. I was never able to hold a conversation, and another call only lasted about 20 seconds before it was lost. Maybe the land line would have worked better.

The hotel is a $55 taxi ride to downtown Cabo. It is def about 40 min away. We went there one night for dinner. If you don't care about downtown Cabo you would really be fine at the hotel the whole trip. They plan special things and its just so nice.

Beach was pretty but not for swimming. You could walk down the beach 20 min for a safe swim area.

5  Thank Mel1451
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed from December 27th to January 3rd. If you arrive prior to 3 PM, be warned that your room will not be ready until 3 PM - you can have full access to the resort while you wait, but you will wait. Once we did get to our room, it was very lovely. Even though we booked a garden view, our room was on the 3rd floor, so it had an ocean view. The shower was big (with 2 shower heads) and you will have all the hot water you can hope for. The air conditioning works great, which is a huge plus for me. Also, I'm not sure if it's because this is a new resort, or if it's because the humidity is not too high, but there is no musty odor which we have found at other resorts. The bed was comfortable and I slept better at this resort than I have on any other vacation.
We normally love to spend time on the beach, but did not do so too much at this resort. The beach is full of hazards (rocks, vegetation, etc.), plus you cannot swim in the ocean. In addition, there is no washroom near the beach and if you want drinks, there are no blended drinks available at the beach bar. If you want to walk down the beach (maybe 20-30 minutes) to the marina, there is a small area where it is safe to swim. We just spent most of our time at the pool instead. One thing I loved about this resort was unlimited access to pool towels and they were nice towels.
We found the service at this resort to be very inconsistent. More than once, we ordered a drink by the pool and it never arrived. The housekeeping service was also inconsistent. We put our wet towels on the floor, and they would be removed, but only twice during our entire week there did we receive fresh towels without having to ask. Our toiletries were never replenished (not once).
That being said, there was some very good service and the staff did try hard and were constantly busy - they were by no means lazy, perhaps just overwhelmed. Everyone was also very friendly and courteous.
I think turn-down service is very late. Only twice during our stay did we receive turn-down service (perhaps because we were in for the night with the do-not-disturb light on by the time they came?)
The food at the resort was okay, but not great. Our favorite meal was at the Tempanyaki table at the Japanese restaurant, where the food is cooked with flair right in front of you (the only meal that a reservation was required for).
As for evening entertainment, we only saw any two nights our entire trip. That may just be because they haven't fully worked it out yet. It was somewhat disppointing that there wasn't more offered in the evening.
We did visit the spa for a couples massage and it was very good, though pricey.
I tried to say no to the Unlimited Vacation Club presentation that they invite you to immediately after you check-in, but my husband wanted to attend. Just be warned, it will not be the 90 minutes they state, but over 4 hours.
Overall, we enjoyed our time at this resort and assume that it will improve with time.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank momtoam
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Let me start off by saying this Resort had only been open 2 weeks when we got there. I was prepared for a few "kinks". This is a beautiful resort and will be even more impressive once all the landscaping has had a chance to grow. I had paid for 7 nights Ocean view room. When we arrived, we were told we had been upgraded to a "swim out". At first I thought that was very nice, but when he showed us the map of the room we were assigned...It was behind another building so my Ocean View just became a Building view. After several room changes we did end up taking the swim out room bc NONE of the rooms in the building in front of us were even ready. There was construction still going on. Ther room it self is very nice and since I went to look at the VIP room and others, I can say that the only difference between reg room and VIP is the hot tub on the balcony. My husband and I are beach people so , we changed and off to the beach we went... Umm 1003 steps later, my feet hit the sand! Really, I counted my steps. There was a make shift bar since the real bar was not constructed yet and some of the umbrellas were not even finished. Needless to say the beach needed some more work. The pools were very nice but with only about 1/3 capacity...It was hard to find a chair. That will be a issue at full capacity. The first restaurant we went to was by the pool and the service was non existance. We had to flag people down to get waited on and I ask for Guacamole 3 time to 3 diff people and NEVER got it. After all, what I ordered off the menu said "with Guacamole" so I was not asking for the moon. The good news is it got much better after this. We ate at every restaurant (avoided the pool restaurant) and loved them ALL. Food was wonderful and the service was terrific! We ate Breakfast at Oceana every morning and the service couldnt have been better. The italian restaurant Portofino was our favorite. Lots to do but if you are a beach person then I would wait just a bit until they have it finished. The only other thing I wanted to mention is the resort is pretty far from the center of town (Marina and Cabo Wabo and such) a cab ride will cost you $45-$55 one way

3  Thank cajun1882
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
#9 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!