“Unique, cool & delivers an amazing vacation experience”
Review of Hotel El Ganzo

Hotel El Ganzo
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I booked a five night stay at El Ganzo when I was in desperate need to recharge. I'm super active and typically take international trips that revolve around sports like skiing, rock climbing or surfing. I had cast removed from my broken leg shortly before arriving at El Ganzo, so I was skeptical about enjoying a lazy beach vacation. Traveling solo, I didn't want a resort filled with families or that was like a drunk frat party. El Ganzo delivers SoHo cool with a unique vibe that's chill and filled with fantastic live music-- just a killer atmosphere.

It's clear they know their guest and that a great deal of attention has gone into the details, from how you're greeted to the fantastic decor to bringing in a resident artist who knows how to create the perfect line-up of live music (nice work Mark) and a staff that's always smiling, working hard and is completely accommodating.

Having spent my 20s living in a high-end Colorado ski town and working in a five star hotel, I know service when I see it and the service at El Ganzo is top notch. (I'm now in my mid-40s and own a service-based business in another well-know resort town so I have a low tolerance level for poor service.) You arrive to big smiles, special treats in your room, a flat screen TV that has a channel dedicated to the artists who've recorded at El Ganzo, which automatically sets the a mini-bar that's free and restocked daily, an iPad so the staff can book your dinner reservations at various spots, balcony with killer views, a super comfy bed, a gym, a fantastic rooftop pool, private beach, and contrary to other reports super reliable internet access. I was able to get work done and still forget what day of the week it was, so for this overworked business owner that's a great trip.

I don't fish but loved waking up and watching the marina come to life and the fisherman get ready for the day. The private beach is perfect, and you can rent beach cruisers, stand up paddle boards, etc., and explore. The staff remembers your name and asked me daily about my leg and if I needed ice to make it more comfortable. I actually limped along to the art walk in town, which was fun and a MUST do is to eat at Los Tamarindos.

The food at the hotel is also very good and I'm not sure what the fuss is about expensive drinks, destination resorts in the U.S. are far more expensive.

Honestly, the only downside to El Ganzo is having to leave. Muchas gracias to the entire staff for making this a memorable and amazing experience. The world is a big place with a lot to see so I rarely say this but I would come back to El Ganzo again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank StephNicole2013
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Hola StephNicole,

I would like to take a few minutes to thank you for sharing your experiences with us here at El Ganzo.

It wa a real delight to here from you, your words lets us know that we are making a difference.

I would also like to thank you for the kind words towards my staff, let me assure you that they will be shared with them.

It will be an honor to host you again here at su Casa el Ganzo.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

This may seem lengthy, but I have so many great things to report - so stick with me! My husband & I just returned from our first trip to Hotel El Ganzo in San Jose Del Cabo. We were greeted at the door by a lovely team of people who valeted our car & escorted us to our amazing room. The modern yet inviting room overlooked the marina and the Sea of Cortez, one of El Ganzo's pools, the immaculate gardens, the restaurant, and the beach club across the marina. Many mornings we left open the sliding doors to invite the warm ocean breezes in throughout the day.
The restaurant downstairs offered a very tasty menu at both breakfast and dinner (we never wound up eating lunch here). The friendly service was slower than what we're use to here in the overly-rushed U.S.A. and was a welcome change of pace. The rooftop pool was chilly for us - but then again we're use to New Orleans heat & it was November (there were many others who were swimming) - however, the hot tub was wonderful. The service and the food offered on the rooftop were equally excellent.
What we were most impressed with was the hotel itself & those taking care of us. The artsy, laid-back vibe of the hotel was what attracted us to begin with - clean, visually fun, and relaxing. We loved our nightly visits with other travelers around the fire pit listening to the relaxing live music. We suggest the roof-top movie night on Wednesdays - big chairs, blankets, popcorn, & a movie with a sea breeze to boot! - nice! And the service...warm and welcoming! Every need we had was met with smiles. Jerry was so helpful when we were looking for places to eat in town - great suggestions and directions! Jasmine was friendly each evening as we went to eat or have coffee downstairs. Alec was an amazing waiter at the rooftop pool! Jose was always waiting in the wings to help any way he could. Mark even sat and chatted with us for a while before inviting us to visit the recording studio on site. One of the concierges in particular - & I am embarrassed to say I can't remember his name - helped us each and every morning plan our day by giving suggestions and directions. He even went so far as to offer for an employee to stop at a local CrossFit gym to pick up t-shirts for us. And these are only a few of the helpful souls that around to assist us.
Overall we would suggest this hotel & town to anyone looking for a relaxing yet adventurous place to travel to. And to those of you at El Ganzo - gracias amigos from Wendi & Mark!

1  Thank wendibird74
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Hola Wendbird74,

First of all let me thank you for all your kind words and your praises to our staff.

It was such a pleasure to read all this and so comforting to know that our efforts are really doing the difference. To hear all this really motivates us in continuing through this path.

Let me assure you that all here at El Ganzo will know of your words, because I am sure that it will be a great motivation to all to know that their efforts are being appreciated.

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was our second stay at the El Ganzo, having been here in March 2013 and loved it. It's a very arty, cool establishment, with quirky occasions like film nights and yoga lessons. The rooms could do with being a little larger, but they are nicely done, with glass balconies and excellent beds. There are nice touches like local coffee for the machine in the room, and a free minibar that gets re-stocked daily. Despite the rooms facing out onto the marina, and the regular live music, we slept incredibly well all of the 4 nights we stayed.
The beach club is accessed by the free shuttle boat, and is a gem with it's own bar and restaurant. There is a separate watersports company there providing cat sailing, SUPs and canoes, which we didn't try but several guests did and seemed happy.
Upstairs is the excellent pool and (slightly strange) glass-walled jacuzzi, from which you can whale-watch in season.
We didn't leave the hotel for our stay, as the food is good quality and reasonably priced. The only problem was the service in the downstairs restaurant, which declines markedly when more than 2 tables are occupied. I'm all for a relaxed Mexican approach to things, but some of the delays for food were a bit silly at this price point. It had just opened the last time we were here, which could excuse some of it, but they should have sorted this out if they want to compete in the boutique hotel market.
It's still our favourite hotel though, and all the staff are really friendly!

Room Tip: Check the offers that the hotel has on it's website - we booked the package including a day'...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Hola Dave K

It was really good to know that this was your 2nd stay at El Ganzo and excited with your praises of our hotel and our staff.

Although I was sorry to know that you were inconvenienced with some aspects of our restaurant services, please accept my apologies and let me assure you that we have been implementing root solutions which I am sure that on your next visit you will find to be most satisfying.

Our job is to make your stay an unforgettable one.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I recently spent two nights at Hotel El Ganzo and it was by far our favorite on our trip. The rooms are wonderful and have a spectacular view overlooking the marina. We loved being on the marina, as my husband is a fisherman, giving us easy access to the boats. However, you also have access to their luxurious rooftop pool and beach club. The staff goes above and beyond to ensure your stay is enjoyable. I HIGHLY recommend Hotel El Ganzo for your next trip!

Hola Hscan,

Thank you for your kind words, we thrive everyday to meet our goals. Your words lets us know that we are on the right path in which we need to continue.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Hello all La Playa fishermen. My review here is created from 21 years of Baja experience while enjoying the fishing experiences with La Playa Sport Fishing. I have enjoyed fishing with this group at least two times a year for 21 years as well enjoyed the culture of the locals and comrades who do the same. While understanding the art culture and it efforts to provide a place for a cultural experience of its own, and I have no place to discredit those efforts. Having said this I must emphasize that the Hotel El Gonzo is not a place a fisherman would choose to embrace their experience.
El Gonzo is not conducive to allowing your ice chest, beer, or amenities that most fishing groups have enjoyed in places such as the Tropicana Inn would accommodate. The rooms provide little space to accumulate doing the normal fish stories and rhetoric that creates the atmosphere in growing those fish stories, " if you know what I mean". And there seems to be that old dishonest room rate charge that increases when the bill is printed. Just being honest, if you fish and like the ways you have experienced, the El Gonzo is not your place. For the artist, I think you will enjoy your high priced experience. BTW put some fish mounts on the walls, maybe open the doors to all and don't overcharge to look at them... Another tip, ask for disclosure of taxes with room rate. 29 % which they fail to disclose at time of booking. Sorry El Gonzo. I rate you wasted space and money for what you offered me and charged me for. You know who I am El Gonzo, this is my turn to offer what you didn't offered me. This should be no surprise for you and your manager.

Room Tip: Rooms are all the same size. Doubles are crowded and the Kings are crowded. Balconies are small 4x...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Guy W
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

Hola Guy W,

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with some aspects of our services and would like to take the time to apologize to you.

Indeed we are not the traditional hotel, we pride ourselves in welcoming everyone. Although I can assure you that your thoughts will be taken into consideration.

In regards to the charges you mention we will work on implementing root cause solutions.

Guy, I hope that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and you found our staff to be helpful and courteous, and let me express yet again my apologies for the shortcomings you encountered.

I hope that you will give us an opportunity to be of service to you again in the not so distant future.

Sincerely

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is a bit funky, recommended for young guests, the rooms are cool, but I have to say that the terrace is incredible, I would definitely give it a try just for the terrace, its a modern way to spend a runaway weekend at a charming town as San José del Cabo

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Arturostro
El_Ganzo_GM, Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hola Arturostro,

Your words signify that our efforts in providing pleasurable vacations are being successful!

We truly hope to see again soon at su casa in Los Cabos

Best regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Where to begin? My boyfriend and I just returned from our week in paradise, courtesy of Hotel El Ganzo. I'll start by saying if you want to stay a little off the beaten path, are looking for quiet and relaxation, and appreciate service and superb interior decorating, this is the place for you. If you want to do the tourist thing and party your face off in Cabo San Lucas, this is NOT it. Guests are a good mix of tourists and Mexicans, which we liked because we felt like we were actually traveling and staying in a foreign place, unlike some of these large all-inclusive places.

Our stay was peppered with lots of extra perks: 20% off spa services, free continental breakfast, soups sent out courtesy of the chef during dinner, and surprise chips and guacamole while lounging at the pool deck. We also seriously appreciated the complimentary bottled water, soda, and beer in the rooms. Housekeeping was AMAZING. They came twice a day, and our room was BEYOND immaculate when returning from a long day in the sun. The pillows in the room were like sleeping on clouds. Giant, fluffy clouds.

I've gotten used to eating pretty damn good food in San Francisco, and I have to say, the food was AMAZING. Service can be a bit slow, but you're on vacation, so I say just chill and enjoy your wine and the superb weather while you wait. Our waiters remembered us and many of our preferences when we dined with them. Fidel at the Downstairs restaurant was so welcoming and helpful, he really completed our dining experience. 24/7 room service will also basically make you whatever you want, just call the downstairs desk. Don't be afraid to wander offsite as well. We ate at The Container (same owners, they will give you a ride over there) The Drunken Sailor, La Marina Inn, and a little side road taco stand. Everything was excellent and cheap.

We used the gym (small but very nice equipment), had a couples massage (ahhhhhhhhhhh), hung out at the rooftop pool (AMAZING playlist on the weekends, no IPOD needed), went to the beach (water was clean, warm, and SWIMMABLE) and rented bikes (super fun way to get to the beach and see the cactus gardens). We also went on a tour to Cabo San Lucas one day, which was really all we needed to see of that area.

Overall we were incredibly happy with our stay. The staff speaks great english, and is always available for help. The only issue we had was a bogus charge to our room, from someone who signed a bill incorrectly. The hotel was very quick to correct it and apologetic, which I greatly appreciated.

I will leave you with this:
Take a chance on Puerto Los Cabos and Hotel El Ganzo. You will not regret it.

Hola Janine V,

I was very pleased to know that Hotel El Ganzo was able to live up to your expectations and more.

We pride ourselves in our services and take every step necessary for our guests to feel at home and relax.

Your words gives me security in knowing that the path that we are taking is the right one.

It will be an honor to host you again at su Casa El Ganzo, when your travels bring you back.

Sincerely