“Gordo Banks Pangas - Can't Miss With These Guys !”

Gordo Banks Pangas - Private Charters
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We recently chartered a fishing trip through Eric at Gordo Banks Pangas, located in the San Jose Del Cabo marina. The trip was flawless from start to finish. We met up with Eric and the panga guides as originally planned and left the marina on schedule. The crew was fantastic and worked hard to find the fish for us. We ended up with 4 Dorado and about 25 - 30 Bonito. Great trip. Would recommend this service to anyone fishing in the San Jose area.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I took a 23' panga out with Captain Arturo and had a great trip. It was pretty breezy from the North the day I went, and the panga did great. We fished close to shore for Sierra, and also caught skip jack and needlefish. The trip started with some trolling, and then we linked up with the bait guys, who had scoops of sardinas for $20. After that, it was live bait only, I brought a 7' rod loaded with 30lb braid and the Capt. suggested I use a heavier leader, which seemed like 60-80 mono for the toothy Sierra. I was glad to have the casting rod, ($29 at Steve Jansen's shop at the Playita in San Jose del Cabo, I brought the reel in my suitcase) it was a blast for the quick but fairly light Sierra, the largest was probably 8-10lbs. We blew through the scoop of sardinas, since it was only me, I'm not sure how our live well would have handled two scoops, likely ok, and if we had another guy, it would definately have been worth getting one scoop per angler. After we got in, there are some guys there that filllet the fish, they suggested a $10-$15 tip for my 6 fish filleted, we landed 10. I left the rest for the Capt. and the guys there. It made excellent ceviche and fish tacos. It was $15 for the one day Mexico fishing license. I tipped the Capt. a little more than 10% of the trip cost, which since it was just me I thought was fair. Plus, he doesn't fillet. I should have had a little ice from the hotel in my cooler, because the guys cutting the fish did not have any, but the panga had a big block that kept the fish nice, just too big for my little cooler. I brought a bunch of lures, kind of a waste of time for this fishery, they really just want the livey. Maybe a crippled herring or some sort of spoon, megabaits? But we had lots of action. I spoke a little Spanglish with the Capt., he was very patient with my attempts for chit chat, overall a excellent Capt. Good boat handling, good natured, genuinely having fun. I would like to return in better time for offshore action, but the weather just wouldn't allow.

2  Thank capescrod