“Absolutely Amazing”

Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
“Absolutely Amazing”
Reviewed July 30, 2005

What to say about Las Ventanas that hasn’t already been said. I will mention that this is my second stay in paradise and my experience was very good. Although this time there were a few service problems. But all in all, everything was excellent.

Arrival- After collecting my bags, I exited the airport and was greeted right away by a Las Ventanas representative, and taken right to my car. I had requested an SUV on my guest profile sheet but because no other cars were available, I was transferred to the hotel in a limousine. Pulling up to the hotel is always an experience. I stepped out of the car and was greeted by the general manager, welcoming me back along with several other people to do the same.

Check-in- I got to the hotel about one thirty and was told that my room was not ready. After having lunch at The Restaurant, I had to wait another ten minutes for it, but finally got settled around three. A minor inconvenience, but something worth noting.

Pool Butlers- absolutely THE best. Service is extremely attentive, as a previous reviewer noted, if you try to move an umbrella or a chair, they come rushing over to do it for you. The second after you arrive at your chair, chilled water and Evian sprays are delivered. Throughout the day chilled towels and other refreshing items are passed out. I always have enjoyed watching the sun rise, so on this trip, I rose early every morning and walked the beach and watched the sun come up over the water. On the second day I did this, I was walking back to my room and my usual spot had been reserved and set up for me.

Concierge- I used them just once but had a bad experience. I wanted to go to this glass blowing factory outside of Cabo. The concierge never said that it closed between two and four so I just assumed that it was open all day. I ended up spending fifty dollars and didn’t get what I wanted. This defiantly shouldn’t have happen, especially at a hotel like this. In the end however, the fifty dollars was credited to my bill.

The Restaurant/ Sea Grill- I will start with the negative. You would expect that restaurants like these could get your order right, but they didn’t. On four occasions this happened. For example, there were three people in the party, they got the food right, but gave it to the wrong persons, and this was at The Restaurant. This also happened one night for dinner at the Sea Grill. Despite these mishaps, service is still the best in the area and can only be described as perfect. Now for the positive. One evening I ordered a rack of lamb and absolutely loved it. I told the waiter this and then about five minutes later he came back and assured me that he would have it on the menu the following night. I recommend if your there on a Wednesday that you try the seven coarse Guaycura Dinner. As you eat, fire dancers perform for you on the beach, it was a real experience.

Departure- Nothing much to say about this, except that it was extremely sad. It went by very quickly and after reviewing my bill, the SUV was waiting for me and I was taken to the airport. After many hard goodbye’s I was on my way. The one difference this year at the airport was that there was no one from Las Ventanas there waiting with you to see you off. I thought it was an excellent touch and was disappointed that they did not do it this year.

Without a shadow of a doubt, this is one of the best hotels in the world. There are no words to describe this hotel, it is just so much more than perfect. All I can say is if you haven’t already stayed here, please do at least once in your lifetime, you defiantly will not be disappointed.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 23, 2005

My wife and I just returned from Las Ventanas (LVP) after spending 5 nights there last week. We are well travelled picky and privledged and demand nothing but the best when vacationing. We usually stay at Rosewood, Ritz, and Four Seasons resorts. LVP was by far superior to Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons and Rosewood's own Caneel and Little Dix Bay of which we are frequent visitors.

I have relied heavily on Trip Advisor's LVP rewiews to book this trip and it really paid off. I hope our review helps others make the decision to come here. We stayed in Suite 206, an Oceanfront Jr. King Suite with Roof top terrace. The room was beautiful, well maintained and had every possible amenity you can think of. There was a small hot-tub which was nice during the evenings. Suite 206 I believe is building 7 on the resort map. It is the furthest right of the resort and is very private. I highly recommend this room.

We arrived in a foul mood after a very rough 4 hour wait at the airport between landing and customs. The private Suburban provided with the package, came with a very comforting driver who was well groomed and spoke perfect English. Bottled water, wet towels, as well as our pre-scheduled spa appointments and a personal welcome letter all were neatly arranged between our seats. Upon arrival at the hotel, without delay we were greeted by Jennifer, a very nice young lady who opened a very unique cloth umbrella to shield my wife from the sun. There was no check in, no reception area like other hotels. Jennifer walked us around the resort and to our suite, answering any and all questions we could possibly throw at her. When we arrived at the suite our bags were already there. Again no waiting. This was a top notch arrival. No complaints? How can this be?

We were eager to get into our suits and try the private infinity pools infront of our suite. But first we were treated to a welcome sip (or shot) of tequila especially made for LVP. This bottle was complimentary and the limes, salt and roasted almonds were changed daily. Note: the Bar was fully stocked with premium liquor and expensive. We then found an aroma-therapy menu, which could be ordered at night with turndown service. A real treat, that was devine and did not cost extra. As we got down to the pool, whom else did we sit down next to but PINK and her new fiance Carey. She really looked great in her red bikini but I resisted the temptation to say hello even though we hail from the same Bucks County, PA area. The pool service was second to none. In fact one afternoon our pool boy was on the beach and saw me moving my chair up at the pool. He ran at full pace to make sure I did not have to strain another muscle. Although this was not necessary, it was amazing. Bottled water and Evian spray mists were delivered promptly and we never seemed to have an empty water bottle. Food service on both the beach and pool was prompt. They even charged our Ipods and returned them to us when done. Highly recommend the fish tacos!!! Not a single smiling helpful person was insinuating they wanted an extra tip above and beyond the 15% auto-gratuity you pay daily to the resort staff. Weather July 16-21 was 90-105, but with very little humidity this did not bother us and the heat did not affect the attentiveness and friendliness of the staff.

Before arriving I read about the overpriced drinks served poolside. I concur, but what price paradise? I ordered a Herradura Anejo Margarita. It came in a plastic cup with more juice than liquor. The total cost was $24 for one! I was charged a specialty shot and a preparation fee. But having read Trip Advisor, I called the manager and complained about the exorbitant cost for a margarita in a plastic cup, and he comped them on our bill. No questions asked, no arguments given. Suggest future guests do the same if they have any price concerns. LVP will shock you in this regard!

Midway through our second night, we caught PINK again and her fiance celebrating his birthday on the beach. The staff did a very creative beautiful job in making sand-art designs on the beach, which were lined by tiki torches from Frontgate and a propane fueled beach fire pit. WOW, we wanted to do this ourselves. The fee was $250 just for the set-up, then dinner items were additional. Who cared? This resort was over-acheiving and exceeding our expectations. BUT, and I caution those who are looking to arrive AUG-OCT. The night we were going to book dinner on the beach, Tropical Storm Eugene brewed up the largest shore breaking waves I have ever seen. After a 12 hour period Las Ventanas lost half of their beautiful beach. So much so that the lounge chairs and umbrellas that stood only a day before could no longer be used. The hammocks under the palapas had been taken down, and the hotel management was out assessing the damage. We thought this was a real shame. Even though one cannot swim in the waters on the beach at LVP, the beach and the fabulous color of the sea was tremendously alluring. We were told that the beach would eventually replenish itself, and that the resort was already looking into trucking in more sand once the tide had receded. VERY SAD for LVP! Do not let this deter you as One and Only Palmilla and Esperanza have even smaller beaches than LVP. But again you should know this.

Spa treatments were heavenly, and the staff were friendly and very good at what they do. I was expecting worse after reading other reviews. No one looked for a tip. The Men's private clothing optional outdoor spa lounge was particularly fantastic, with a steam room, outdoor showers, sauna, mineral water hot tub, and a cold water plunge. There was then a common area that men and women shared which was a very relaxing place to wait for the spa staff to arrive to wisk you away to your treatment room. This place had the longest spa menu I have ever seen, and the costs were in line with what you pay at home. But the over-the-top serivce left you begging to spend another $200 for a treatment.

Dinner- We ate our first night at the Sea Grill. Recommend the Parrot Fish! The food was excellent and the price was as expected for the quality. You get what you pay for! Taking the advice of Trip Advisor forums, we left the hotel every other night for dinner. We ate at C's and Aqua at Palmilla two nights, Esperanza and Pitaguyas(bad service). For a close second to LVP Palmilla will dazzle any LVP guest. The resort there is more traditional Mexican decor, vs desert adobe decor at LVP, and we saw Selma Hayek having dinner there. I loved Palmilla, but there were many families there with young loud children and I could not wait to return to LVP! Esperanza was nice, but the service was slow and food not as good as LVP.

Ceveche Bar- Please visit this bar and have a glass of Jose Cuervo Reserve de Familia Tequila on the rocks. This is a great sipping tequila recommened by the bartender. Or have your own favorite drink. We had sea bass, shrimp and parrot fish ceveche! All was fresh, and we did not get sick as we were pre-warned. Our Ipods were depleted and they let us take the Bose docking station back to our room for charging, no questions asked.

Departure was sad in that after many years of searching the globe for the Ultimate Vacation Spot we had finally found it in Las Ventanas. We were picked up at the lobby in a brand spanking new Silver Mercedes S500 Sedan where a specially pre-ordered departure lunch was waiting for us to take into the SJD departure terminal devoid of lounges. Our driver could not be more apologitic about our arrival experience at SJD customs 5 days earlier and was again very well spoken, educated and well dressed.

This place is worth every last penny you spend, so if you are debating the merits or costs, we emplore you to consider this resort. This resort can be a bit pricey for middle class honeymooners, but worth your savings!
Sadly we normally find ourselves writing a disappointing letter to Conde Nast or to the hotel chain of our chosen vacation spot. Las Ventanas will meet your every expecation and cater to your every whim. From booking at the 800 number, to concierge, to pool staff to maids. Please try this Rosewood Resort, you will not be disappointed.

34 Thank mjpalm
Columbia MD
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Just returned from a fantastic trip to Cabo. We stayed at LVP as well as two other resorts, Casa del Mar and the Sheraton. I'll post reviews on those sites as well, but I can provide a brief comparison here:

1) Las Ventanas - unparalleled attention to detail, great service, excellent food, beautiful rooms and property. This is our new favorite hotel in the world.

2) Casa del Mar - beautiful grounds and rooms, great service, good food, nice people, and a fantastic value. We would stay there again in a flash. If we hadn't stayed at Las Ventanas, we would have thought this was the best place in Cabo.

3) Sheraton Hacienda del Mar - very nice architecture, pretty good food at Pitahaya, service was TERRIBLE. Details on my post under the Sheraton. I would not stay here again. Also I'd only recommend this for families, not couples... too many screaming kids.

More detail on LVP if you're interested:

You've read about the attention to detail and the high quality of service in the other reviews, no need to be redundant. You get the picture: breathtaking place with corresponding breathtaking prices. That said, we would go back in a heartbeat. We were only there 3 days so we didn't have too much time to experience every facet of the resort, although we managed to get around pretty well for the short time we were there.

My only quibble with this resort is the necessity to tip everyone, and this after they charge 15% on every bill for an automatic gratuity and on the overall room charge. In my opinion, if tips are included, then service personnel should wave off additional tips. That's what several all-inclusive resorts do, and that would have made this a better experience for us. It is aggravating to have to carry around cash and continually peel off 50 peso bills (~$5) every 10 minutes. The biggest issue that I had was that one day we were out of cash, and the pool boy avoided us like the plague. Not appropriate in my humble opinion for a resort like this.

That is a small quibble in an otherwise perfect experience. I think it's a great place. If you have the money, go. If you are uncomfortable with the price, go to Casa del Mar...

17 Thank traveladdiction
Reviewed July 5, 2005

Fantastic place for a long weekend. Overall, my wife and I had a great trip.

A few high points:
1. The property is wonderful...one of the most beautiful properties that we've stayed at.
2. The food was very good.
- las ventanas tacos at the sea grill were great
- dinner at the main dining room was very good...a bit pricey, but good
- breakfast at the dining room was good also
3. The spa was also very enjoyable. Had some back problems due to tight muscles and got a great massage to alleviate the pain. They rearranged some appts. to get me in. Very nice gesture!
4. When we booked, I tried to get a roof top ocean view suite, but they were sold out. Got the last ocean view room. Very nice for the price.

A few average points:
1. Resort fee....give me a break. Given the customer base that they are going after, just include all cost in the room rate.
2. Car service to and from airport. Personally, I thought it was worth the money, but if you want to bargain for a taxi ride you could save a few bucks.
3. Can't swim in the ocean because it is too rough.

Low Points...Not Many
1. Upon arrival they lost our luggage. Had to wait an hour or so for our bags to arrive at the room.
2. Ask not to get room 904. Although the room and view were great, there was a service closet right off the patio. Staff used the closet often which was a bit distracting. The closet door was right off of the patio.
3. Don't correspond with the concierge via e-mail. Sent several e-mails which either went un-answered or were answered days later.

Overall, great place to visit!

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2005

What makes this a five star resort: (1) The attention to detail is unparalleled. The sand is raked in patterns around the rocks and cacti. Every evening, the pool area is transformed from a, well, pool area to an elegant, candle-lit oasis. The waiters bring bottles of Evian mist spray along with your water to the pool and beach. Sewing kits are matched to your wardrobe (except I don't know what the red thread matched). (2) The People. I have never stayed anywhere where the staff, waiters, hostesses, concierge, and pool attendants were so warm and accomodating. They were a delight and made downside #1 below much more palatable. (3) Breakfast. Dinner at the Restaurant was just "okay," but breakfast at the Restaurant was sinful. Please, please don't order a bagel or oatmeal. You are on vacation. Order the huevos rancheros. Eat the scrambled eggs in the poblano chili. Drink lots of the cafe. Work out in the gym in the afternoon, but don't skip breakfast at Las Ventanas.

Downsides: (1) Stomachache when you get your first meal bill. Las Ventanas is clever in that the menu items are priced in pesos. The bill, however, gives you the reality check in dollars. Prepare to be shocked. Dinner for two (including alcohol) at the Restaurant the first night was almost $400. Bottle of water = $10; Vodka tonic = $16. (Along those lines avoid the temptation to open the $70 bottle of Ketel One in your room. Don't touch the milky way bar either.) The food at the Restaurant, though good, does not justify the price. Eat instead at the pool restaurant and ask for one of the tables next to the beach. Here, you sit under the stars, listen to the waves and enjoy authentic Mexican food (tortillas instead of bread, with guacamole, pico de gallo, etc.) at more reasonable prices (up to 8 sides are included with your entree). Wednesdays offer a "fire" show on the beach which you can only see from the pool restaurant. (2) Sadly, the Sea of Cortez. Not that it isn't beautiful, but the current is too strong to allow you to take a sea swim.

Suggestions: (1) Take a taxi from the airport to Las Ventanas, but have Las Ventanas shuttle you to the airport when you leave. Someone from Las Ventanas will meet you at the airport, get you to the front of the line to check in with the airline and escort you through security. It's worth it. (2) Show respect for the culture and brush off your high school Spanish. It has the added benefit of securing top rate service. (3) Tip the pool and beach butlers. Gratuities are included for all meals, but the water service at the beach and pool is free.

• Stayed June 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
new york
Reviewed June 20, 2005

There is no question that Las Ventanas tries admirably to provide the highest level of service during your stay. But it doesn't come cheap. Even though you know this going in, its tough to take.

When my wife and I arrived in Cabos, we used the Las Ventanas car service option, which was easily double the cost of a cab ride. And there are many cabs waiting at the airport to take you to the hotel. I recommend passing on the car service as an unnecessary expense.

There is no check-in at the hotel, so when you arrive they take you right to your room, which is a nice touch. Our room, an OV Rooftop Terrace Junior Suite, was smaller than I expected. At the standard rate of $950 per night, I expected a large and lavish room. I was slightly disappointed by the rustic look of the room - nothing as smooth and sparkling as shown in the pictures. The room did have high ceilings but was not much larger in square footage than many hotels that I've stayed in at a fraction of the price. but the selling point is the view - two large double doors slide out to the private terrace with jacuzzi. The terrace overlooked the ocean and "The Restaurant", which is beautifully lit in the evenings. The terrace makes the room seemworthwhile. We also had a spiral staircase (that wasn't in the greatest condition) on the terrace that led to an amazing private rooftop sundeck. Don't be fooled that people can't see you up there and you can hear every word spoken by the people in the suite next to you, but you can still enjoy a terrific sunbathing session with more privacy than you get in most places.

Dinner the first night at The Restaurant was over $220 and my wife and I don't even drink. We each had a pasta as an appetizer, an entree (she - shimp, me - NY filet) plus a dessert each. We split a bottle of water. I've eaten at all of the top places in NY and I've never had a bill that high without alcohol, but have had better food. The next day, we had lunch at the Sea Grill. She had a chicken sandwich and I had a burger, plus a soda each and no dessert. Total price = $95. When we were seated, the waiter asked if we wanted chips for the table. When the bill came the chips were about $15. Insanity.

Here's some quick bullets to keep in mind when eating at the resort:
* The tip is automatically included in your bill as a separate line labelled "Auto-Grat"
* The chips you are offered when seated at Sea Grill are certainly not free
* Soda is $3.50 and they give you the 12 ounce can after pouring it
* The 1 liter bottle of spring water for the table is $10
* Frozen drinks, i.e. - Margaritas, by the pool are $16

You can eat at restaurants in town for a lot cheaper, but you'll need to add $50 for roundtrip cab rides to Cabos San Lucas (20 minutes away).

Money aside the place is beautiful, peaceful, and elegant especially at night. Its a perfect place for a nice quiet honeymoon if you can afford it. Choose the "In Suite Dining" option one night for a romantic dinner brought right to your terrace. You choose from The Restaurant menu and a waiter serves you from your room. Someone was utilizing the "Beach Dining" option while we were there. It seemed nice with candles on the beach but for $150 setup fee on top of a $200 dinner, it just didn't seem worth it.

If you have the money and you're looking for a relaxing place to stay, this is the ticket. Be prepared for the prices and shop around for other hotels. There are so many wonderful looking places in the area. The hotels closer to Cabos San Lucas seemed to offer numerous water activities (jetskis, etc) that Las Ventanas did not.

• Stayed June 2005
19 Thank Mslaterk
chicago, illinois
Reviewed May 22, 2005

Scheduling a two week vacation in Los Cabos, my husband and I decided to stay at both Las Ventanas and Palmilla. We enjoyed both for different reasons and will most likely return in the future.

LAS VENTANAS with its serene zen landscape is relaxing from the moment you enter. (This is saying a lot as my husband and I are both Type-A personalities). If your trip is less than a week, I would recommend LV for the immediate calming atmosphere. The service and ammenities (poolside iPods, umbrella positioning, chilled towels, and lemongrass ice pops, etc.) are everything that all those before me have written about. I would say that the service at LV is more unobtrusive compared to Palmilla. The Restaurant was mediocre. My husband and I enjoy fine dining with fine wines and were underwhelmed with what this restaurant had to offer. (For breakfast it is fine.) If you enjoy being lulled to sleep by the sound of waves pounding the surf, most of LV rooms are positioned closer to the beach than Palmilla. On the other hand, if you are a light sleeper, this could keep you up at night as you can hear the waves even with the doors and windows closed! I would highly recommend requesting a room near the smaller pools(201-208 & 301-308) although these are also closest to the ocean. We had one of these rooms and only had to share "our" pool with, at most, 2 couples. Very relaxing and private.

PALMILLA provides a lush tropical landscape in the heart of the Los Cabos desert. The grounds are beautiful and the service very good. Many of the amenities are so similar between the two establishments that it appears that they have visited each other to be certain nothing was overlooked (i.e. the sewing kit with thread selected to match the wardrobe packed, flower petal designs on the bed, aromatherapy choices in the pm., tequila bars in the room). Palmilla does provide a butler for each room, whereas, LV only provides for their suites, although I hear this may be changing. The butler option is very nice. Upon being taken to our room, our butler offered to press our packed garments for dinner that evening. My husband preferred the fitness facilities here to LV. The restaurant "C" was exceptional both for dinner and breakfast. Friends have commented that the decor is more reminiscent of California, but this didn't offend us. The library, with internet access, was most appreciated as a hurricane was threatening the Baja peninsula on the day we were transferring between hotels and the internet was our best source for tracking it. (Employees were either uninformed or told to downplay it at both hotels and were not very helpful. Yet, they were moving chaise lounges and umbrellas and a property down the beach was boarding up windows. In the end, the hurricane missed us) The only minus that I can list about this property are its pools. It does need more pool space.

Restaurants that we would highly recommend(in order):
1. Charlie Trotter's C
2. (tie) Pitahayas at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar
Mi Cocina in San Jose del Cabo
3. The French Riviera(in Cabo)

Also good,
Mi Casa (in Cabo)
The French Riviera (in San Jose del Cabo)
Agua

Where would we stay if going to Los Cabos again?? In summary, if:

MY HUSBAND AND I WERE GOING FOR A SHORT ~4DAY STAY, we would stay at Las Ventanas

MY HUSBAND, CHILDREN AGES 6&8, AND I WERE GOING FOR A WEEK, we would stay at Palmilla

MY HUSBAND AND I WERE GOING FOR A WEEK, it would be a toss up between the two or maybe we would give Esperanza a try

MY HUSBAND AND I WERE GOING FOR 2+ WEEKS, we would again go to more than one of these 3 resorts

• Stayed September 2004
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
The Resort at Pedregal
The Resort at Pedregal
#3 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!