“Outstanding service and location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort

Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Cobham, United Kingdom
“Outstanding service and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

My wife and I spent five days at Las Ventanas in April 2009 in a beachfront rooftop terrace suite. We have stayed in a good number to luxury resorts and hotels (Cap Juluca, Rosewood Mayakoba, Four Seasons, Peninsula, etc.) and LVP is right at the top. The service (butlers, room service, restaurants, front desk, spa, pool, drivers) is second to none. Location and rooms are beautiful and the weather can hardly be beat in my opinion. Food is excellent and in my opinion appropriately priced given that you are staying in a luxury resort. We are hoping to return soon.

3 Thank LuxPlorer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

My husband and I had not been to cabo and have stayed at a few of Rosewood's other hotels. Other than being very pricey, we've always enjoyed our experience. We decided to try Las Ventanas out but had to cancel because of some health issues I had to address. We figured we'd be fine since it was over two weeks till our reservation and we would just re book when I was feeling better. We were wrong. The reservation agent was very rude and kept asking us our reason. We said it was personal. They said they were going to charge us about 1200 because we weren't within the 60 day cancellation period. We were shocked, since we were never even informed of this policy when we made the reservation. Since then my husband has left several emails, phone messages and personal messages with employees and noone has returned our calls.
This is appalling customer service given Rosewood's reputation and the cost for staying at one of these resorts. You would think that paying that kind of money should at least mean a call back to resolve an issue.
Think twice before making a reservation. I know we will.

13 Thank luxtravel1173
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

This was our first time staying at Las Ventanas and it definitely won't be our last! My husband and I were celebrating a special anniversary, therefore I booked the 1 bedroom oceanfront luxury suite. Yes everything (and I do mean everything ) is very expensive but we knew that before we arrived. I had prearranged limo pick-up at the airport. They were waiting for us when we arrived. Since we have been to Cabo many times before, we knew about the bothersome timeshare people. If you want them to leave you alone say you are staying at Las Ventanas they immediately back off. The ride from the airport was fine, nothing special. Arrived at the hotel and was greeted by several employees and our butler. We were immediately shown to our suite, which was on a quiet part of the grounds. The suite was 1600sf of heaven. Living room, butler pantry , bedroom with fireplace, huge bathroom with indoor and outdoor showers, jacuzzi tub, and walk-in closet. Outside was our own infinity pool overlooking the ocean, hot tub and dining table and fire pit which they lit nightly. All I can say is we didn't leave the room often. We really had no need to. Therefore I can't comment too much on the rest of the resort . Room service was good but expensive! We also did not use our butler too often. Although he was always there if we needed him. We did ask him to bring fresh coffee and juice in the morning, leaving it in the panty for us. I have to say that was very nice to wake up to. Two things I did reserve were the beach cinema and the dinner on the Plaza. The setup on the Plaza was breathtaking and the food was fantastic. Very romantic dinner for the two of us on our anniversary. The beach cinema was a lot of fun. Two loungers with blankets,champagne, food, fire pit and a big movie screen. All this is just a few feet from the waters edge. Would highly recommend both. All I can say is if you get a chance go and splurge on the OF luxury suite, I don't think you will regret it. We had a great time and we will be back someday! Thank you Las Ventanas for the wonderful memories.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank FirstClassOne
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at Las Ventanas in August last year and we rate this place as our worst hotel stay ever - we bored all our friends on how bad it was when we came back yet it is only now that I get around to writing a review, probably because I cannot understand the glowing reviews...

Resort - very beautifully done and lovely style but too built up in my opinion. There is not much greenery or space to breath and it is much bigger and near the main road than I expected. Despite the hotel not being full, it was impossible to find a decent sun lounger around the main pool or on the beach if you arrived after 11am, you were then relegated to the secondary pool literally on some guests rooms doorstep. Sun loungers are also very close to each other and you cannot really have a private conversation without being heard.
Room - very nicely decorated, spacious, nice sea view, exactly as I was expecting. So far so good. Except the next morning when we were having breakfast on the terrace, we realised there was building work on the building next to us (very close as the resort is so built up) and we had to raise our voices to hear each other. So much for relaxation. We called our butler and asked to be moved to a different area of the resort. This seems to cause quite a few issues somehow and they told us we would get an upgrade. We were very happy with that but thought we would like to see the room before all our things got moved - quite right we were! We were shown 3 rooms in various areas of the resort and while they were clearly bigger, they were also un-refurbished with lots of gold or very dark: everything we hate in a hotel room. Eventually after an hour orftrampling around the resort in 40 degrees heat - we just said that we wanted the exact same room we had booked in a different area of the hotel. We were told this was impossible as none were free. We then said they should upgrade us to a refurbished room and started to complain a lot more - then miracle the exact room we wanted came free (actually we had the choice of two!). Not impressive at all
Restaurants - both very nice but very pricey for what you get. £80 for lunch for 2 when we shared a skewer of fish and a salad, 2 beers and one lemonade. You do feel a bit ripped off but at least quality was excellent and views and setting lovely. Only problem came when on our third morning while lying near the pool, builders started to demolish the sea grill restaurant! Lots of noise + the inconvenience of one restaurant less (the cheapest and less formal option). Obviously we were not told about that or any building work either at reservation or at check in. Very poor
Spa - nice choice of treatments and treatment rooms, good therapists but I did not understand why the treatment room was a 5/10mins uphill trek in 40 degrees heat from the changing rooms. Always nice to arrive sweaty for your treatment.
Service - in our opinion awful, the most annoying service ever! We are used to expensive hotels in Asia where service is always there but also quiet and charming. At Las Ventanas, it is loud, in your face, insistent and extremely irritating. From the pool assistants who come and introduce themselves every 15 mins (yes really) asking if they can help you with anything (and when you do they consistently forget to bring your order) to the room service when they get things wrong every single time i.e every single breakfast we ordered over a 5 nights stay was wrong (continental breakfast for 2, one white tea, one black coffee - how hard could it be!!). The butler was probably the most annoying of the lot - feeling more like they were trying to sell you something or treating you like children.

All in all, we will certainly not be back and I would not recommend this resort to anybody.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank NCH01
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

The rooms are the best and the resort is so relaxing. You will not want to leave. It is expensive but you shouldn't go if that is a concern. Service is amazing. They even have special stools in the restaurant for the ladies purses. Everything is so clean. You can't help but to feel relaxed and romantic. We have been to many Four Seasons and love them. However, Rosewood is in another league. Take someone you love and enjoy.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kev_OC
humphreys@ala.net
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

When we arrived in Los Cabos, our car rental agent asked where we were staying. When we told him "Las Ventanas," he smiled and said, "Las Ventanas is probably the finest resort in all of Mexico. Just try to get them to say no to you." The location, the view, the landscaping, the service, the amenties were all incredible. Our room was extraordinary complete with a huge patio perfect for enjoying the sea breeze and the ocean. We looked at the Esperanza and the One and Only but have no regrets about staying at Las Ventanas. At night inground gas torches lined the drive, candlelit lanterns line the walkways and overhead trees and roofs have thousands of miniature lights. The food was very good - we loved the Sea Grill and the El Restaurant. We had breakfast served on our patio each morning. Aromatherapy you choose is provided in your suite each night. The linens are wonderful. Is is pricey? Yes. Was is worth it? Absolutely. We will go back! For activities, we did the premium Wide Open Baja experience - lots of fun! WE also did the Monster Canopy ziplining tour also great fun, and we also did a sunset sailing cruise to the Arch aboard the Yael which we loved.

2 Thank AHumphreys
Stanton, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

We've stayed at Las Ventanas twice and enjoyed it both times. I do like Ventanas much better than the other high end place I've stayed in Los Cabos, One and Only Palmilla. However, I probably won't be returning to Las Ventanas. It's a nice place to relax, but I can get the same level of quality at, say, hotels in Cancun, the Riviera Maya and Huatulco for half the price, and have a useable beach at my doorstep. (The beach at Las Ventanas is nice to look at, but the red flag was out, meaning no swimming, every day on both our trips.)

My criticism of the cost is more about Los Cabos than Las Ventanas. Everything is expensive in this area, not just this particular hotel. I travel a lot in Mexico, and since the peso dropped below 14 to the dollar, other places have gotten a lot cheaper if you have dollars. Los Cabos has not..

The service was excellent and without exception the staff was friendly and bent over backwards to be helpful. My only complaint in that area, they were trained to upsell (e.g., an expensive dinner in your room, paying them to prepare a romantic surprise for your significant other, a day on the yacht, etc.) and it became a little tedious listening to all the great opportunities available to spend money.

We stayed in a rooftop terrace suite. We previously had stayed in a conventional suite for a about the same price. I liked the rooftop terrace better. The room was very comfortable, and the views from the patio and rooftop were exceptional. Be warned though that you probably won't be spending much time in the outdoor jacuzzi - it's small and uncomfortable.

The food was good, not great, and overpriced. Breakfast for two with tax and service ran up to $110. We spent $550 for dinner/wine tasting at La Cava. Neither the food nor the wine was exceptional, although I was impressed with their ability to make tasty dishes with worms and ants.

The significant other reports back that the spa services were good. I was dissatisfied with the wireless internet in the room -- it wasn't useable. However, internet worked fine in the business center.

Anyway, this is among the best of the best in Los Cabos. And you will pay for it. If price were no consideration, I'd give Las Ventanas a rating of "excellent" instead of "very good".

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
The Resort at Pedregal
The Resort at Pedregal
#2 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,591 reviews

Been to Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!