“Great Honeymoon”

Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 17, 2004

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at LV in March 2004. He is very picky about travel and I did a good deal of research before we picked LV....of course when you're spending this much per night, you need to be certain you will be pleased. Before staying at LV we had been to several high end resorts among these Manele Bay, Fairmont Kea Lani, Greenbrier, Pebble Beach, Four Seasons, etc. So we both felt like we knew what we should get from a five star.

LV did deliver on almost everything that we expected. When you drive up, the entrance is somewhat underwhelming.....tucked between a couple resorts - so there's not much land and there are LV condos behind the resort, not that I thought these were bad - just unexpected when I knew there were only 60 rooms. I actually got over this as soon as I stepped out of the limo that had thankfully wisked us from the airport. The view onto the Sea of Cortez was breath taking. Our room was also very well done. I really liked the living space outside and bedroom inside. We did not opt for the rooftop terrace. And although some in TripAdvisor say it's a must - I did not miss it. I thought that the rooms were very nicely appointed. Among the nicest I have stayed in. I agree that the cushions on the outdoor living area were faded - but they are outside. The bathroom was on par with other 5 stars. What I really liked that set LV apart was the wood fire place as well as the decor. I loved the wood beams, the flooring and the built ins and the room was very spacious.

The food I thought was quite good, I have had better at 5 star restaurants - but very nice for a resort. As a matter of fact, we ate at LV all 5 nights we were there. I will say that the wine prices were above what I felt was reasonable......$70 for Rosemont Shiraz and that was the lowest on the menu. What I do recommend is eating on your terrace. They do a marvelous job.....bring you every course separately, set up candles, it's very private and very romantic.

Also very romantic, the first night they spread flowers over the bed, drew a bath for us and lit candles all over the room. My husband called it 'Romance for Dummies'. Not to miss was also to have a complimentary fire lit every night. I thought it sounded odd - given how warm it was in the day - but at night (at least in March) it cooled off and a fire was great.

The main pool area was very beautiful - but there are two other pools off to the side that we found to be much more quiet. If you would like to remove your self from any children, I recommend the other pools.

One thing that I will note, and I have not seen this in other reviews, I experienced terrible bug bites. I assumed that they were mosquitos except the welted and swelled much more than a normal mosquito bite. LV did make a special trip to Cabo to find benedryl lotion for them....but these bites were very bad. Odd thing is that my husband did not get any and those at the hotel seemed to imply that it was because I have a fair complexion. So, blonds be warned and wear OFF to the pool and do not sit near the grass area as the bugs seemed to be worse there. Of course, this may be a seasonal bug but make certain in March to watch out. I just did not expect them as I have been many other tropical locales without incident.

Overall, I did love LV and would love to go back. Most of all, I found the resort to be visually stunning and the service to be a close second to the beauty.

• Stayed: March 2004
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed November 1, 2004

We were at Las Ventanas for our anniversary in early October. The place is wonderful and truly lives up to the great reviews. The service is amazing and the staff always knows what you need (an IPod out by the pool, your sunglasses cleaned, fresh water, etc.). The lobby and grounds are beautiful and so are the views of the Sea of Cortez. We really enjoyed the Restaurant and ate there many times. The only problems with the Restaurant are the expensive wine list and the breakfast menu that doesn't change. The only faults with our week long visit: our room seemed to need some TLC (the outdoor cushions and furniture were stained and faded), a chunk of concrete fell from the ceiling of our rooftop deck (luckily it didn't hit anyone and they came to repair it right away), and 2 of the days out by the pool they seemed understaffed (we ordered a drink and never got it). Even these issues can't take away the great time. I recommend the roof top dinner and Sea and Star massage. I also had a facial at the Spa which was good. Tennis facilities were OK and pro was nice, although I recommend playing either very early or very late b/c it gets so hot. It is a great place if you are looking to get away and just hang out.

Reviewed October 7, 2004

Spent a week at Las Ventanas. Did a great deal of homework on hotels in area before going. This hotel is truly special, almost faultless apart from the odd Mexican minute. Ou room was beautiful, large space quoted is a combination of indoor/outdoor area. Had a fabulous view from the ground floor, could hear the waves. Weather was perfect even though a hurricane had just passed by. Food is fabulous, staff are fantastic, you are not allowed to carry anything, pool butlers are great for water, sorbet, popsicles. Hotel can be busy but you would never know. It is quite place, but is not stuffy. Beach is amazing but you can't swim in it. I did not want to leave even though I hadn't seen my kids for 3 weeks, am now in the process of booking to go back next year. Have stayed at a lot of very exclusive resorts, this one is one of the best if not the best.

1  Thank fuelthejet
Orange, CA
Reviewed September 7, 2004

I fell in love with Rosewood Resorts after being whisked away from a dreadful timeshare (Blackbeard's Castle in St. Thomas) to pristine Caneel Bay, St. John. Boy was hubby rewarded! The next trip to Little Dix Bay, Virgin Gorda was equally impressive except for the mosquitos. Now for Las Ventanas ... we stayed for 5 nights a year ago and YES everything about the place is gorgeous. Our room incredible, balcony jacuzzi, upstairs gazebo, huge bath with another jacuzzi tub, the ocean and golf course view, 5 star ++++. And YES everything is expensive and so worth it EXCEPT for ...

TOO many smokers ( I guess the ultra rich are impervious to lung cancer). Even Jennifer and Brad were lighting up. Thanks but I'd rather breath the ocean air or smell the food I'm about to drop a $100 on. Every lounge chair we moved to was in the path of someone's smoke.

TOO many cigar smokers (loud and obnoxious), smoking and drinking IN the gorgeous infinity pool.

The KIDS (tho few) ... Too loud in the main pool. Kids screaming and just awful in the pool next to the spa. Only a plywood wall separating what was supposed to be a relaxing couples massage and screaming children. Even the masseuses were laughing it was so bad. The only thing worse was the actual massage. Afterwards hubby and I wondered what they were doing because we only really had about a 10 minute rub. They kept messing with the sheet, shuffling papers on the counter, more and more lotion and NO massage. Really bad! Can't believe we went back for individual massages. They were better but not by much.

Also, the beach is for long walks but unless you are a really good swimmer stay in the pool but we knew this before going. We never left the resort after other guests told us the food in town wasn't that great. And the hotels next to LV aren't worth the sweat to walk up the hills to check out. Just enjoy the beautiful beach.

Well this COULD be paradise if Rosewood would step up to the plate and banish the kids (or establish family weeks), the smokers and improve the spa massages.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Allen, TX
Reviewed July 28, 2004

We stayed at the Las Ventanas at the end of April 2004 for a long weekend. It was our first trip away from our kids ever so we wanted it to be perfect. It was! When we travel we only choose 5 star resorts and we have stayed at a lot of places and Las Ventanas is the best place we have ever stayed! They picked us up from the airport, which was awesome because when you clear customs you have a ton of people just trying to get you to use their cab service and its a little overwhelming. We stayed in the ocean view rooftop terrace, which was really awesome. The rooms are large and very romantic. We enjoyed a candlelight dinner for two on our terrace, in which they provided a waiter who would bring you the next courses when you were ready for them, it was amazing. The spa is very nice and we enjoyed our treatments. The food is very good and is prepared fresh daily by a chef and if you want something that is not on the menu they will prepare it for you. Upon leaving we arrrived to the airport to be greeted by a concierge from the hotel, whom works at the airport. He took our bags and advised us that he would get us to the front of the line, which was currently an hour wait. He did take us to the front and we checked our bags and were on our way. The service is impeccable and I would highly recommend the Las Ventanas and we will stay there again.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2004

We just returned and it was tremendous. The resort accomodations, unbelievable service, excellent food and drink and spectacular infinity pools and setting make this an ideal luxury resort. The architecture is modern mediterranean with muted earth tones and beautiful art. The little extras like scented oil of your choice at night, the separate sewing kit matching your wardrobe, the ice buckets with evian spray, the little popsicles (lemon grass) and the man who cleans your sunglasses at the pool are all nice extras. One of the best features was the ceviche bar, with several types of ceviche and great guacamole. The spa facilities with steam room, sauna, whirlpool and ice pool are top notch along with the amazing variety of treatments. The only caution is that everything is very expensive, though worth it. We got great recommendations for restaurants in San Jose del Cabo from the concierge. Mi Cocinita and Tequila Bar were both excellent and much more reasonable than the Restaurant at the resort, though still around $100 for two for dinner.

2  Thank Ralberts
Reviewed June 24, 2004

Draining your wallet never felt so good. This place is, without question, the best resort we have ever been to. We have been to other Rosewood properties, but Las Ventanas is unparalleled. From the sheer beauty of the resort coupled with the impeccable service- every detail from arrival to departure is perfection. Luxurious surroundings abound- from richly appointed suites with authentic Mexican artisanship, a romantic open air restaurant, and a seemingly endless infinity pool- all nestled into an ocean setting that is absolutely breathtaking. If heaven exists on earth, this is it. We had an ocean-front rooftop terrace suite which undoubtedly added immensely to our overall experience. Even after the 6th day of our stay, we were still mesmerized by the beautiful setting- especially at dusk. When the sun sets, the whole resort glistens. If I had to pick, the one element that sets this place apart from the others is the service. They maintain the perfect balance of impeccable service while still being personable. We left LV thinking about all of the wonderful staff members we had met and remembering them by name as if we had made new friends. The staff caters to your every need- almost predicting exactly what you want or need before you even know it. A lot of hotels offer service that is top-notch, but their staff can sometimes seem rigid and somewhat unfriendly. This is not the case here. They seem to come out of nowhere to take care of you- always with a smile and friendly greeting- then they just disappear like magic only to return the moment you need assistance again. Don't even try to adjust your own umbrella or lounge chair- it is not allowed here. Even the nightly turndown service with aromatherapy is decadent. Hard to believe you can sleep so well here considering you relaxed all day long. It must be the perfectly pressed 500 thread-count sheets. If you want the ultimate pampering experience- this is your place. An interesting side note- during our visit, there were several A-list celebrities also present. The most telling attribute of this resort was how every guest was treated exactly the same. In other words, the service is already so perfect- it can't get any better no matter "who" you are. We are now spoiled to travel anywhere else. We chose this resort to celebrate out 6th wedding anniversary- I only wish we had known to come here in 1998 for our honeymoon. I assure you we will return for future celebrations. This past week was an unforgettable and relaxing escape and we are looking forward to our next opportunity to visit. Las Ventanas may clean out your wallet, but it is worth every peso.
Kimberly Kennedy

#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Grand Velas Los Cabos
Grand Velas Los Cabos
#1 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!