“Well worth the expense”

Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
New York
“Well worth the expense”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

Recently returned from four nights at Las Ventanas and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Yes, it is an expensive resort, but you already know that if you are looking to book there. The question is, is it worth it? Our answer is most definitely yes. Las Ventanas has a Four Seasons-like quality but in a more intimate setting.
Hotel- True to its Mexican location in its style with an open-air feeling. All bars, restaurants, and the lobby are open-air and beautifully deocrated. The staff was exceptionally attentive and friendly.
Beach- Not a swimmable beach location. On the positive side, the beach was empty except for the occasional hotel guest. Although the waves prevent swimming, they do provide a beautifully soothing sound to dine and fall asleep to.
Pool- Amazing main pool (Infinity) next to the beach as well as more smaller pools throughout the property. Beautiful pool area, and amazing service, from setting up the lounge chairs and umbrellas, to providing extra little (free) things, such as bottled water, Evian spray, sorbets, fresh fruit refreshments, and sudoku (!) puzzles.
Suites- We stayed at a oceanview rooftop terrace suite. Spacious room with large bathroom area. Great large covered balcony with small jacuzzi as well as rooftop terrace with private lounge chairs and shaded couch sitting area. The terrace may also be set up for a private dinner (one of the highlights of our stay).
Dining- Two main restaurants. They both had amazing food, although overpriced.

7 Thank mad4luxury

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2008

For a week of pure relaxation and pampering i recommend LV. As previously stated be prepared for the very high cost of food and drinks but definately worth it. Nothing is too much trouble and the services is one of the best i have encountered at a 5 star hotel. Service round the pool is perfect, free bottled cold water in ice buckets all day, evian spray cans, etc. We went to check out the One and Only and Esperanza for comparison and concluded that we had made the right choice - if you want personal, immaculate, quiet and great service choose LV. One and Only is much bigger, overgrown shrubbery and more family orientated. Esperanza is not as smart. LV is very romantic and quiet (not child friendly at all which was good for us and any other couple wanting a romantic break). Each block has its own butler for your every whim. As we were there 8 nights we got a bit bored of the menu and they were more than accomodating when we asked for dishes that weren't on the menu - in fact they encourage it so every diet requirement can be catered for. The quality of the food is excellent - no real need to leave the resort once you are there but they do have 2 convertable mini coopers that you can hire for the day to go and explore - well worth doing.
Our only drawback at LV was our room - this could have been our travel agent's fault but we were initially given a room with 2 queen beds overlooking the golf course - our agent assures us he booked a king bed ocean view but we saw they booking the hotel had so not sure where the fault lies - however, they dealt with this very efficiently and despite claiming to be fully booked they were able to find us a king ocean view the next day and moved all our luggage.
I would definately go back!

• Liked — Service and immaculate property.
  • Disliked — It is too dangerous to swim in the sea.
2 Thank MrsMillerLondon
Orlando
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2008

What an incredible place!

No detail was overlooked and each day was total luxury!! If you actually want to see Cabo, you might not want to stay at this hotel :) Once you arrive, you don't want to leave. ...and, you have NO reason to want to leave.

I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away and be pampered.

The only complaint, and it is minor, is that there is no music of any sort at the pool during the day. Some will find this relaxing I'm sure, but there are plenty of pools on property! Give us a little music!

With that being said, we are already trying to pick a date soon to get back! It was that nice.

• Liked — Attention to Detail
  • Disliked — No music at pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank MCOTravels
NYC, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

I will start off this review much like many of the others - Las Ventanas is very expensive so be prepared - do the research! If you are frugal or will let a $45 glass of wine ruin your vacation, then this is not the place for you! However, if you are looking for a romantic trip with outstanding service, wonderful food, beautiful landscape, and a staff that never says "no", then this is the place for you!
I stayed at Las Ventanas for my honeymoon in early June for 8 days. They picked us up at the airport in a Mercedes with cool bottled water and snacks. The driver was very friendly but didn't keep us chatting the whole time. He let us talk to each other without interrupting. Once we arrived, we were greeted at the lobby with more cool beverages, and since our suite wasn't quite ready, they gave us a tour of the property and we had a light lunch. The landscape is very fitting to the natural surroundings, and it is kept meticulous. They rake the sand each morning and we never saw a speck of garbage. We thought that the surroundings fit perfectly and the resort was well thought out.
Our suite was beautiful - we had a rooftop terrace junior suite in the 600 building. We thought this was a great location since we had great ocean views but still had the privacy that you want on a honeymoon. Some of the rooms are right near the main pool, where the privacy isn't really there. Ask before you go. There are 2 floors to the terrace - the first with seating and a jacuzzi, the second was the roof with lounge chairs and a couch. Completely private. In our room was an Ipod with all the music that we loved so we could listen whenever we were in the room.
There are 7 pools at Las Ventanas, with one main infinity pool. We never found it crowded even though there were a lot of guests at the Hotel. At the pool they bring you cold bottled water which is complimentary and never ending. They also bring little treats and will move your umbrella's, clean your sunglasses, and had extra books to read. The staff was really attentive, if they saw you moving your chair they would run over to help you. We never had to ask twice for anything and each request was filled promptly. They do allow children in the main pool but there are other adult only pools for more privacy.
The food at both the Restaurant and the Sea Grill was delicious. I was worried that I would get bored with the menu's after the first few days but if you want the Chef to make you something not on the menu, they will. Like I said, the staff will not say no. They tell you that anything is possible! We especially loved the Carne Asada and the open tacos. Also, we found that while though pricey, they give you large portions. We never left a meal hungry, and many times we had food left over. They will also deliver meals to your suite and set them up for you. We had dessert brought up to our terrace many nights after eating in the restaurants. Breakfast was delicious and we mostly had it on the terrace of our suite, they delivered it and set up while we went to the gym in the morning and it was waiting for us when we got back. Such a treat!
As extra's, we highly recommend the Welcome to the Sun treatment, and the Sea and Stars Massage. Ask for Monica - she gave the most amazing massage I've ever had - and that is quite a feat! Also, the Beach Dinner was super romantic. By far the best thing was the Beach Cinema. It is private and romantic and such a unique experience! I don't want to give everything away, but don't miss it!
A few things I feel I need to add: there were a few families there with kids, and the children were very well behaved, but I really don't think this is a proper place to take them on vacation. There were lots of couples there and the children were out of place. They never really bothered us but we felt that maybe they would have more fun at Atlantis or Disney. Also, there were a few people using cell phones, blackberries, and laptops. Seriously people, put them away! Again, we weren't necessarily bothered by this, but it's sad to see that some people truly can't get away and relax. I'm not sure they have wireless and I hope they don't get it at the pool, it would ruin the experience. Also, I will agree with some of the other posters, that the tv's in the rooms are small and there aren't many channels. We didn't care because the only time we even turned the tv on was right before we fell asleep, but I can understand wanting a plasma or a bigger screen.
Overall, we couldn't have dreamt of a better honeymoon. Again, it is very expensive but you do get what you pay for, and everyday the staff went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect. We are looking forward to returning for our 5 year anniversary!

• Liked — The genuine staff & the views
  • Disliked — Not being able to swim in the ocean
4 Thank SammyBNYC
Washington, D.C.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this resort immediately after checking out of the One & Only Palmilla. The O&O could not accommodate an extension to our stay so we took this opportunity to test out Las Ventanas al Paraiso, since we had heard so many wonderful things about it. In sum, we spent our time wishing we were back at the O&O. The whole vibe here is much colder (from the architecture to the other guests staying there, at least during our visit). Our room was very nice but not perfect. Some of the lights by the jacuzzi were out, the jacuzzi water was not warm enough and the TV was much too small (maybe a 17"?). Also, it was difficult to hook up a laptop to the internet because of where the wiring was located back behind the TV (hard to get to). Also, you would have to stand holding your computer to check email because the cords were on the short side. To be fair, staff brought in a desk to make it easier but because of where it had to be placed in our room, it was in the way.

My husband and I were extremely jet-lagged when we stayed here and we wanted to watch TV and relax the first night. The TV is very small (too small) so it was not that enjoyable to watch. The movie selection is limited and not that great either. Most people don't go to Mexico to stay in their rooms and watch TVs so this probably won't affect too many other guests (unless you were like us -- jetlagged and sick).

To be honest, the resort is on the small side and the service is not nearly as personable or top-notch as it should be for a place of this calibre. We found the food to be mediocre and the service to be very slow. Sometimes, when at the pool, it took multiple requests to get service (and orders for something as simple as bottled water took up to 30 minutes to service). The staff try very, very hard to please you but it does not come across as genuine...just like they are going through the motions. Also, the staff try too hard, and it comes off as overly persistent, intrusive and (finally) annoying, to be honest. I was sick for two of the days we were there and I could not get much rest because the phone rang at least 4-5 times in a few hour timeframe (our butler was trying to see if we wanted to make reservations for the spa, dinner, etc.). It was really something else.

Anyway, I would not recommend this place over the O&O, or in general. In comparison to the O&O, we believed the O&O was hands down the much nicer, friendlier and more beautiful place to stay. And it was, overall, a much better experience than was Las Ventanas. Save your money and go to the One & Only!

• Liked — The water views
  • Disliked — The atmosphere. It was very cold.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank LuxuryTraveler_8
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

Just got back from Las Ventanas and wanted to say that it was a fantastic week of relaxation and fun. If you're looking for a quiet laid back vacation with excellent service then this is the place. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to arrival at the resort and throughout our stay the service was excellent! We had originally booked a 2 bedroom suite and they automatically upgraded us to the 2 bedroom spa suite which was spectacular with an awsome view of the resort and ocean. Our butler, Armando, could not have provided us with better service. From dinner reservations, excursions, to whatever we needed, he was there to make sure everything was provided. He really helped make it a "mindless" vacation. All we had to do was ask and it was done for us. The spa treatments were terrific. I had one in our suite and one at the spa and both were wonderful. I really recommend the "Welcome to the sun" treatment, it was fabulous! We had brought our daughters along, 10 and 16, and they really had a great time. From horseback riding, jet skiing, swimming with the dolphins, there was a lot for them to do, but it's all away from the resort. The resort itself really isn't catered towards children and unless you enjoy excursions outside the resort, the kids would probably get bored. If you get a chance, do a family nite movie on the beach, we all had a wonderful time! It was fun snuggling under the stars with the ocean waves and munching on appetisers while watching a movie, the kids loved it. We also had a romantic anniversary dinner on the beach, the atmosphere was so nice that we lingered and enjoyed a wonderful evening. I do recommend calling in advance prior to your stay there to make reservations for both the movie and dinner since space is limited. The restaurants there are very good, the Sea Grill is a bit more casual and the Restaurant is a bit more formal in the evenings. I recommend the Carne Asada at the Restaurant, and to start I would also recommend the mussels, both are really great. I can go on about how much we enjoyed it there, we really didn't want to leave and we do plan to go back next year at the same time. One last note, do check your hotel bill closely. Just because you sign for everything and it's basically charged to you based on the hotel room, we had a $650 bar bill from the Cerviche bar that was not ours. Getting the charge off the bill was no problem. The service is really great there that they knew we didn't frequent the Cerviche bar and the items on the bill were not drinks that my husband and I would drink (not to mention if we really drank that much everyone at the hotel would remember us). If you're thinking of Las Ventanas I would highly recommend it, it's pricey, but personally I thought it was worth every cent!

• Liked — Beautiful room and spectacular views
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank bcmom_7
LONDON UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2008

This really is an amazing hotel, every little detail is considered. The decor, ambience, service, facilities were all of the highest standard. It one of the best Spas I have been to (and I have been to many in Asia which are the best in the world) and the gym was great.
The food was excellent but I agree with previous reviews that, although top quality it is overly priced. In particular I thought charging $12 for a bottle of water with dinner was excessive and unneccesary given the overall cost of food.
However if you know what to expect and accept that this is a very expensive hotel I would highly recommend it to anyone. I didnt see many children at the hotel and would suggest that it wouldn't work for children who need to be fully occupied.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — price of food
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
The Resort at Pedregal
The Resort at Pedregal
#3 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,619 reviews

Been to Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!