“Relaxing Resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
San Francisco, California
“Relaxing Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This place is fantastic. We stayed from Thursday-Monday on the July 4th weekend. We only left once because we were looking for a low key vacation, but there is plenty to do at the resort. The pools are amazing. You can sit in your infinity pool and look out over the edge at the waves crashing on the beach.

The food at the resort was great. Even though the place is all-inclusive, they do not try to short you on food at all. They will bring you food by the pool during the day if you are lounging, and the 3 nicer restaurants are available for dinner. We tried the Italian restaurant and the Asian restaurant - both were great. Also, the breakfast buffet is wonderful - they have it all, and it's a sit-down, full-service restaurant.

Fitness center was also above average for hotels. Several treadmills, cardio machines, and a fair amount of free weights. It's right next to the spa, which was nice but pricey.

This is definitely a place for couples. Almost everyone was with their spouse or significant other.

We did do the club thing one night. On Saturdays and Wednesdays, someone from the resort (Miguel) will take groups to downtown Cabo for $20 per head, which is more than reasonable. They take the groups in big vans. We went to 4 clubs/bars, and Miguel got us in all of them without having to wait in line. Skipping line at those 4 places was worth the $20. You also get dropped off at the clubs, and picked up to return to the resort. This is way cheaper than separately getting a cab to/from Cabo from the resort.

My only complaints (and these are minor) are as follows: 1) wifi was spotty, even after we paid $25 for 4 days; and 2) the beds were smallish.

I definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Junior suite had a nice view of the beach
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was a girls trip and it was wonderful.we had ocean front room on 5th floor with fantastic view. Infinity pools are right on beach and provide breathtaking view. Service was great. Food was really good. Great place for short vacation. Rooms were spacious and nice. Relaxing and enjoyable

Cons: by 9-10pm nothing is going on..Internet and TV service are bad. They charge you one price for internet but you can't use more than 1 device at a time which was a pain for 2 wives to check in with families. Internet service was very poor. Pick up from amstar was terrible ( this was included with package). We had been traveling since 3:00 am , arrived 2:00 pm our time. There was supposed to be a sign with our name and non stop shuttle to hotel. When we arrived, there was no name and after talking to several people we found right place. Then we were told the shuttle would be at least 1 hour before we left airport. We did not want to stand in 95 degree weather waiting so we took different shuttle at price of $14 each. They also offered $200 credit when we arrived. what they didn't state is you had to use it for certain things. Ex; romantic dinner on beach which is not exactly what my friend and I were there for. We would have preferred to use at spa but could only use a small amount there so we really didn't benefit from it and that was a little false advertising. We asked every day for our room to be cleaned by 10. Only one day was that request honored.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ladybug50
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

I booked a trip here from 7/3-7/6 to spend my birthday at this resort (which is on the 4th of july).
upon arrival to the resort, we did not have a friendly greet. everyone just stood around and watched us pull our luggage up to the counter. we got there about 9:30 and I told the lady that it was my birthday and we were ready to check in so we can start our celebration early. she told us that our room wasn't ready and check out was at 12. I asked here if we could have another room and she told me NO that everyone is assigned to a certain room so we couldn't have any other room. I was immediately disappointed b/c not only did we have a horrible greeting but now they are refusing us a room??? We had to make do of the bad news and decided to go have breakfast and walk around. it was very humid that day b/c it just rained that night/morning so we were soaking wet from sitting outside the whole time. this hotel doesn't technically have an inside to it except for your room (which we didn't have) and the sushi restaurant which doesn't open until 5/6. the bathrooms have no a/c and the lights are on a timer (yes the lights cut off on myself and my husband while using it) and the elevators have no a/c either! so about 12:30 we went back up and asked if we could have our room and she said it would be twenty minutes. after that we were just extremely frustrated with the whole check in process. finally about 1:45 they ended up giving us a different room (which they could have gave us the whole time) b/c we asked if we could see all the different rooms incase we wanted to upgrade. so they took us to the same exact room 3 doors down and we finally convinced them to let us have that room!

then to summarize it all up, we are there having a good time (for my birthday again) and it was just the worst service ever, they don't direct you by your name, they gave us attitude as if we were "drinking too much" of their alcohol and no you couldn't order food from the restaurants and take it up to your room you had to eat it there. ive never felt so depressed while I was on vacation. I felt horrible and was ready to go on the night of my birthday b/c of how crapy they made us feel. they did nothing to make me feel as if they appreciated me being there for my birthday. everything was no we cant do that or no we cant do this. you cant even swim in the ocean b/c the waves are too dangerous. we paid for a snorkeling adventure, only to get us out on the boat to tell us the ocean was too dangerous and we couldn't snorkel so we were stuck on this boat frying in the sun for 4 hours!!!! why are you selling snorkel adventures if you cant get in the ocean?????? the pool even closes when it gets dark which is insane to me, your on vacation!!!

worst place ever!!!! do not go here!
hands down, LIVE AQUA IN CANCUN was the best vacation ever!!!!!! this place for the price is horrible horrible horrible!!!!!!!!

please trust me, DONT GO TO SECREST MARQUIS LOS CABOS!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Ryan W
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We spent 6 nights here and felt we got a good value for our money. Our package included airfare and airport transfers both ways. I will explain the good and bad about the room, grounds, spa/activities, food and drink, and service.

Room
My favorite thing about this entire resort was the view from our balcony. We had an ocean view right in the middle of the resort on the fourth floor. The views of the enormous waves and infinity pools never grew tiring. Every detail of the room design was exquisite from the granite counters, travertine floors, stone shower, and jet tub. The room was spotlessly clean and quiet. The wooden furniture and stucco walls gave the room a modern Mexican feel. The bed was comfortable and the wall had Mexican art and tiling. The minibar was stocked with beers, waters, juices, and sodas. The toiletries were generous and of good quality, and the SPF 15 lotion was especially appreciated. The negatives about this room were the toilet door was glass and lacking privacy and the shower didn't get warm water. We did not report the shower, as it was hot in Cabo and we didn't mind the cold showers.

Grounds
You would never know once inside the resort that it was located on a main highway. The architects really did an excellent job of secluding this property from the rest of the world. You cannot swim on the beach in front of the hotel because of the massive currents and waves, but you can walk to the Hilton which is within site for an excellent ocean swimming experience. There are numerous bronze statues and Mexican paintings that decorate the resort and the numerous infinity pools are breathtaking. There are plenty of lawn chairs and umbrellas on the beach and by the pools. The landscaping with palm trees and saguaro cactus is tasteful and well placed. All bathrooms are spotless. The restaurants are chic and romantic.

Food/Drink
Most of the food was quite good, especially the sashimi at Spice. We ate there the third night and then the next three it was so good. My second favorite was the breakfast buffet. I enjoyed the chicken tinga, beans, and chilaquiles. The American options didn't look nearly as good. I didn't eat lunch once because the breakfast was so filling. All the bars were well stocked with a variety of delicious liquors. I recommend the banana daiquiri with fresh bananas and chilled tequila shots. By the pool any of the ceviches with guacamole are great.

Spa/Activities
The activities were fun, and I enjoyed the water aerobics best. I got a massage at the spa which was great, but the cost seemed ridiculous at $145 for 50 minutes (and that was with a resort coupon included in our package). The gym was decent, however overcrowded. There were only two working treadmills so I had to wait 20 minutes to use one, killing time on the one of working elliptical machines.

Service by the pool and in the restaurants was very friendly but often they would promise you another drink and then never return. A couple of times waiters asked what I was drinking and I assumed that meant they would come back with a refill but that didn't happen. The maid service was completely unpredictable and almost made me angry. You would never know what time they were coming or if they would. Of the six nights we were there, we got turn down service once. The other nights we would see them a couple rooms down from us when we returned to our room around 11 (the time turn down service supposedly ends). We stayed up patiently waiting for them, and then finally around 11:20 or so we put do not disturb and literally within seconds they put a slip under our door saying they missed us for turn down service at 11. One night we didn't even get a slip.

Overall considering the beauty of the property and friendliness of the staff, I would recommend this resort for a wonderful romantic vacation.

3 Thank halleybopp
Ankara A, General Manager at Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
First of all, let me offer you my best wishes for your 10th Anniversary—What a fantastic milestone to celebrate at the Secrets Marquis! Thank you so much for choosing our resort for this special occasion and I couldn’t be happier to know just how much you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. I am also glad to hear that our team made sure you were spoiled and well taken care of—just what a Secrets Marquis experience is all about!
We look forward to having you back very soon and for many anniversaries and other special occasions to come.
Kind Regards,
Ankara Angulo
Tulare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We recently stayed at this resort with friends to celebrate our 10 year anniversary as absolutely loved it. We will definitely be going back. I felt very spoiled. We were upgraded to a casita overlooking one of the Infiniti pools and beach. The food was outstanding! Great poolside service, always had drinks coming and loved that we could order food poolside. Our room was stocked daily with water, beer, soda, and snacks. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2014
Chilliwack, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

We stayed for a week in July and were there for the July 4th celebration. I will start with the positives which are several.
1. Beautiful property and views right on ocean
2. Very nice staff so hard working and friendly
3. Most beautiful infinity pool I have ever seen
4. Lots of entertainment and great buffet shows such as Mexican Night, Tropical Night and July 4th Celebration night
5. Nice rooms and loved the turn down service every night

Things that may disappoint depending on expectations
1. No air conditioned theater so very hot and muggy to watch entertainment if you are over 30
2. No comfortable place to gather in a lobby bar since it is also open aired with no relief from the sweltering heat
3. Food - many things bland and loaded with salt. My husband was sick to his stomache for 3 days after eating at the Italian Restaurant and could not eat or drink anything other than water for rest of vacation - no fun when we have to be within 30 feet of a bathroom at all times.

Since we have been to another all inclusive in Mexico and have absolutely loved the food we were not expecting this at a 5 star with a good name like Secrets. While the presentation of the food is beautiful even at the breakfast buffet, the taste of some things is lacking. There was no steak house and catch of the day every day is sea bass. Presentation and service at all restaurants top notch but nothing tasted very good with the exception of salads.

This resort seemed to be very popular with younger couples on their honeymoon and they all seemed to love it here. Majority of people seemed to be from Texas and California. There were few couples over 40 and I am thinking it is probably due to the lack of air conditioning and quality of food. Could be that we set the bar so high by staying at another Secrets property before and thought they would all be as good.

Sleep Quality
3 Thank Lovetotravel241740
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

This hotel was AMAZING!! Tons of space to roam and enjoy, lots of snacks that guests may enjoy all through out the whole entire day. I thought the entertainers did an absolutely spectacular job engaging the guests to participate in the activities that the entertainers put together. There was not a single moment in my vacation that I did not enjoy, I loved it all. My favorite activity was definitely either the water aerobics or the water/ beach volleyball/ or just talking to the entertainers through out the day. I would recommend this resort for everyone. It is little kid-free. I would have to say that the entertainers did a magnificient job at what they do because all of them were super friendly, engaging, sweet, and very loving towards their guests. My favorite entertainers were Fernando Echegaray, Fehrr, and Miquel Hernandez. All the time, they were making me laugh and never turned down a chance to talk to me!

Room Tip: Choose a room where it is quieter, and peaceful.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
#7 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,308 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,899 reviews
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#4 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,899 reviews

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!