Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Paradisus Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)
  • Breakfast included
Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort(San Jose del Cabo)
View Hotel
Baja Point(San Jose del Cabo)
  • Pool
Club Regina Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
Le Blanc Spa Resort Los Cabos(San Jose del Cabo)
2,210 results
All reviewsvista ballenasdos marescevicheevery morningfrench restaurantcoffee and pastriesroom serviceentertainment staffrifle shootingocean frontbar hoppingall inclusive resortpub crawllos cabospool serviceplunge poolmain bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband and I visited this resort early December 2013 for a late Anniversary celebration (sorry for the delayed review). We really wanted to love this place as the flights to Cabo are very short and easy for us from California. We have been to several other Secrets Resorts (Maroma, Capri, The Vine and Silversands) and other all inclusive chains (Iberostar, Excellence, Palace Resorts) in our opinion this resort was not of the same caliber as the others. I do have several positive things to say about our stay as we did get great service from some of the staff (Juan – Beach area manager, Mauricio – server) and thought it was a beautiful setting.

The resort grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The pool areas are amazing and the view is unbelievable. As others have mentioned, don’t bother getting an upgraded room as all of the rooms face the ocean and you will get a great view. We did get the daily coffee/pastries delivered every morning and that was a nice touch.

Beach Area: There is a small area setup for guests in the beach area. We are beach people and loved hanging out in that area. Drink service was almost non-existent in that area – even tipping well. We did not have a problem getting drinks when we were in the pool area so if that is a big deal, stay up there or load up on drinks to take with you to the beach... It was just completely out of the way for servers and we were the only people there 90% of the time. We did not mind as we loved the isolation and hearing the sounds of the strong waves from the Ocean. Unfortunately, a couple of days after our stay there must have been a problem with plumbing or something because a bunch of workers started digging a huge hole on the beach and they didn’t fix the problem while we were there (8 days) so we had that obstructing our view the rest of the trip. There did not seem to be much of a hurry to get the area covered or cleaned up. People mention the horse droppings on the beach and this is a problem. You just have to watch your step at all times. It is great to walk down the beach in either direction. It is very isolated that you feel like you are the on your own beach..

Food: I will not comment too much on food because taste is subjective to the individual. We loved the different ceviche offerings, the Chile Rellenos and chicken tacos at lunch. The menus at all restaurants had a variety of items so most should be able find something they can eat. The sushi at Spice was very good – as many others have mentioned, this is the best restaurant onsite décor and food. We were a bit disappointed with the teppanyaki presentation at Spice. The chef was friendly enough, but there was no cooking show put on similar to what is done in other resorts. The chef simply cooked the food and distributed it at our table – did not interact with the table or light up the volcano onions or flip food or knifes. It was really great having the Coco Café available for Coffee, they had a great selection of specialty drinks; I did not try any of the pastries.

Activities/Environment: As mentioned in several other reviews, this resort is very quiet. Most of the action is during the day in the pool areas where you can mingle with other guests. There is a very small bar where guests gather at night, but there is only seating for about 8-10 people and if one person is smoking the smell will fill the entire area. They do have outside seating areas/tables where you can take your drink and enjoy. This resort does not have the Music/Cultural shows or entertainment other resorts have. They did promote a fire show one night and after sitting on the beach over 45 minutes, they decided to cancel the show because there were only four of us there to see it – not cool. We were also looking forward to the Mexican night held on Saturdays, but when we were there a large corporate group from GNC was also there and they cancelled the Mexican night so the group could have a private dinner in that area instead. I understand that resorts make a lot of money from groups but this should never interfere with the enjoyment of other guests. It would be different if the resort had anything else going on in the evening, but this was it… Needless to say, we were not happy. On a positive note, we did attend the wine tasting class and the sommelier was very good and gave us a lot of great tasting techniques and tips. We also attended the cooking class (ceviche and guacamole) and it was also great – I highly recommend you take time from your day to attend this.

During our stay we visited the gym every day. It was pretty busy (I think because of the GNC folks) but there was plenty of equipment and it was kept very clean. Secrets hires a different professional to hold classes and we had a very good one that offered a Yoga and Boot camp class.

We also had the pleasure of working with Danielle Nungaray from the onsite Adventure Photo shop. We absolutely loved her work and encourage everyone to take advantage of the free photo shoot. There is no pressure to buy many pictures, although I am sure that you will end up like us and buy a whole bunch of them because they are that great.

I’ve tried to highlight the good and bad of the resort to help readers make their decision. We have never had a bad experience at any of the other Secrets Resorts, so our expectations may have been a bit high. We will not be returning to this resort and for the cost of the stay, we would not recommend it considering all of the other options available now in Cabo/San Jose. Our stay was not terrible, there were just a lot of small things that kept it from being great.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for Ocean views - all rooms have it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank cmoody94585
Ankara A, General Manager at Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos and for choosing our resort for your Anniversary trip. I am glad, though, that despite the few unfortunate mishaps, many aspects of your vacation were very positive. I’m pleased you enjoyed our facilities, service, food and views, which are indeed unbelievable. I was also delighted to know that you had a good time at our Wine Tasting and Cooking Classes. We continuously strive to offer a wide variety of activities to keep our guests entertained.
I would like to personally apologize particularly for the cancellation that took place during your stay that made it impossible for you to enjoy our fantastic Fire Show. I do agree with you that group activities should not interfere with individual guests’ enjoyment and we do our best to make sure of that. Both groups and individual travelers are very important to us and we will continue working towards meeting their needs. It is with this goal in mind that we offer a host of fun and cultural activities. These include a variety of theme nights, guided outings to the famed San Jose Art Walk every Thursday, tours to a local artisan Glass Factory, Wine Tasting sessions with our expert in-house sommelier and much more. Please note that the day on which we celebrate our Mexican Party changes every week, so we invite our guests to check the Weekly Entertainment Update in the Sundial or with our Concierge.
We do hope you will consider coming back to Secrets Marquis and offer us an opportunity to make up for the shortcomings of your last stay. We will be particularly excited to welcome you back to Spice, where our new Teppanyaki Expert Chef is turning our guests’ dining experiences into a thrilling work of art.
Kind Regards

Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is a solid 3 star resort with all the potential to be a 4 star resort if they paid more attention to the details. It really lacks in the Unlimited-Luxury as advertised, and is by no means anywhere near their 4.5 star rating.

The room: The view was great, but the room itself is a bit dated and could use some remodeling. The beds and pillows are pretty bad; I was in pain in the morning. Luckily they have a pillow menu (that’s a 4 star amenity)! We went to the concierge after the first night to figure out how to get the pillow that I thought would lend to a better night sleep, unfortunately they were out. Luckily the next afternoon there was one available and my morning pain disappeared.

The bathroom was really kind of strange. The shower and toilet were both enclosed in frosted in glass. This is not a problem for the shower, however it’s not a great option for the toilet. Since the bathroom is open to the room you can hear just about everything that goes on in there, EVERYTHING! You have to start getting strategic with your bathroom breaks, or it could put a damper on your romantic vacation.

The Internet: It was pretty spotty at best, and was not free. Miraculously we somehow figured out how to use those coupon/resort credit things they give you when you check in, so it didn’t really cost us anything.

The pool: The pool was really nice, one you might expect at a 4 star resort. What brings this pool down to 3 stars? The pool chairs and umbrellas are stained and in disrepair. Some of the chairs were falling apart and the padding on the chairs were stained and ripped, the umbrellas were stained and looked like they have seen better days.

Service by the pool: From the reviews it seems like the pool service was for the most part good, however I can’t say the same. We had to order drinks multiple times before they would actually bring us drinks. I’m a nice friendly person, I smile, I’m always respectful of servers (I was one for years), and I always tip when they bring me a drink. I have to say that tipping didn’t improve the service, I think we could have not tipped at all and the service would have been the same.

The Drinks: Close your eyes and imagine you’re at restaurant next to a truck stop in a questionable area. The bartender, a recent graduate from the local bartending college happily makes you a margarita. Can you imagine what it might taste like? It taste like a drink that you might order by the pool at Secrets. Yes kids, there is nothing luxurious about the drinks they serve. I had dreams of lying by the pool drinking pina coladas and margaritas all day. I mean, I’m in Mexico, I’m paying for Unlimited-Luxury at a 4.5 star resort, I was expecting my drinks to be made with actual juice that comes from a fruit and something above well liquor. I was clearly mistaken, apparently “top-shelf beverages” at Secrets are made with only the best artificially flavored/colored drink mixes and what looked to be the bottom shelf of liquors. The drinks are not strong, which I fully expected, hence my dream of drinking them all day long. Sadly that dream never came true.

The Food:

Spice - Surprisingly good and the service was great. The staff seemed like they really cared.

Room Service – We ordered room services every morning since we are not a fan of buffets. The food was ok, it was edible and we didn’t get sick, so I guess that’s a thumbs up for room service.

Don Mares – The food was better than average, but the server we had seemed pretty grumpy. However the ceviche was outstanding. If I ever go back to Secrets (I most likely won’t) it only be for the ceviche. I wouldn’t even mind if it was served by only grumpy waiters.

Barefoot Grill – We ate here for lunch, just once. I was a little surprised by the menu since Secrets doesn’t allow children. I would compare the food to the children’s menu at Applebee’s. I haven’t eaten at Applebee’s since I was in high school and cannot attest for the quality or variety of their children’s menu, however I can only assume it’s better than what was served at the Barefoot Grill. Chicken nuggets, cold fries that tasted like they were reheated in the microwave, burgers that looked surprisingly like the ones served in the cafeteria when I was in grade school. If anything, the food here is nostalgic.

Canto Del Mar – We didn’t eat here because what man brings long pants, collared shirts, and dress shoes to a beach resort in Mexico where you go to relax? I can only imagine the food is the Holy Grail of exquisite French cuisine. I’m sad we missed out on it.

We didn’t eat at any of the other restaurants since we were only here for four days. However, I can assume that they are better than children's menu at the Barefoot Grill.

Although I feel that this hotel should be a solid three star, I chose to give it two stars because we fully expected and paid to stay at a 4.5 star resort. Normally I’m a little sad when my vacation is coming to an end and I have to fly home, but when we left Secrets I was only sad that we wasted our vacation time and money on a 3 star resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JillyBean620
Ankara A, General Manager at Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
I truly appreciate your taking the time to offer us your feedback. It is thanks to guests like yourself that we continue improving and doing our very best every day. I couldn’t agree with you more in that a luxurious stay is all in the details. In fact, paying attention to the little things is normally our forte and I’m disappointed that we failed to demonstrate that during your recent stay with us.
I am glad you did enjoy our views and pool areas and that our Pillow Menu helped improve your sleep quality. I’m also delighted to know that your dining experience at Spice was a success and that you enjoyed our famous ceviches at Dos Mares. It is very unfortunate that you were unable to try our Signature Fine Dining Restaurant Canto del Mar, as it is indeed as you expressed it: “the Holy Grail of exquisite French cuisine.” I do hope you will stay with us again and this time experience this award-winning restaurant.
I also hope that on your next visit you will take the opportunity to try other dishes off our Barefoot Grill Menu as it is quite extensive. You may enjoy Shrimp Salad with Apple & Mixed Greens, Chilled Gazpacho Soup or Grilled Salmon with Pineapple & Black Pepper Chutney. In case you don’t find anything you like, you can also order from the Dos Mares menu which features a selection of our popular ceviches, as well as fajitas, burgers, quesadillas and much more.
We do hope to welcome you again one day and make you not want to leave after having experienced our full potential.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We travelled to the Marquis with another couple for our third visit. It was, once again, delightful. The service was predictably well above-average. The rooms are quite nice and we love the small size of the property. The restaurants are all very good, with plenty of choice. We especially enjoyed Spice, their new Asian restaurant. Service at the pools is also very good. We had breakfast through room service twice and both mornings the food and the service were great.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2014

my husband and I just retruned from 4 nights at the SEcrets Marquis. We were both quite impressed with all aspects of the hotel. Neither of us tend to love the all inclusive concept; typically it seems that the food and drinks are of lesser quality and we don't like buffet dining. But, there really was nothing at The Marquis that had an all inclusive feel to it, other than you just never received a bill. Quality food, drinks and service.
I love Mexico because I love the people; I think they are the friendliest and most service oriented people of any resort location; the staff at Marquis is not different...friendly and accommodating from the front desk, to the pool, to the housekeeping. Very warm!
The hotel is beautiful, very clean and of very nice size. Smaller of the Secrets properties which we really liked.
I have stayed at the HIlton right next door and, while the hotels are roughly of the same category, we both liked the Secrets better. First, we just liked the adults only concept. Made the place calmer and quieter without so many families. Secondly, The Hilton has the "mad dash for lounge chairs" every morning by 7am. Literally as soon as we were up, my husband would race down to save a spot. None of that here even though the hotel was almost at capacity.
I have also stayed at Las Ventanas down the beach. This is a luxury resort that has a very different feel to it. Much quieter, everyone keeps to themselves. At The MArquis people visit with others much more so a little more interaction, though they do a nice job of not letting it get rowdy and bringing it back down by the evening. It too is very quiet at night. These two hotels are really both lovely, just very different in feel. And cost. For the price difference, the Marquis is extremely nice.
Food was good..breakfast and ceviche was excellent. The rest just good. but we are from Dallas with many dining options. My guess is if you dont have as many fine restaurants at home, you will find the food even better. I thought it was funny though that they had all nationalities of food...just not a mexican restaurant. They do close one or two a night, so just ask when you check in so you can plan. We thought the Seafood one was the best.
It is a good 15 minute cab ride into Cabo San Jose, 25 to Cabo San Lucas. So not much close by.
Lastly, my only complaints or suggestions: 1. Turn the music down around the pool or get better tracks. Old 90's music and pop was played over and over and rather loud. I personally would rather just listen to the waves but if they want music, they need to do better. Secondly, the wine is awful. They serve top shelf liquor, why can they not provide better wines. They do have it to buy, but what is $18 in the store was $78 which seemed incredible to me. A lot of people were disappointed and with so many wine drinkers now, this is an issue. I get tired of margaritas by the pool, but simply could not drink the wine. Secrets needs to address this. Second Secrets, same issue.
All in all wonderful and I would recommend highly.

Room Tip: All rooms face the front. I would request floors 4 or 5 ...the top two floors...for the views. Also request the southern end of the hotel. Up on the north side some of the rooms start to fold back around so may not get as nice of a view..not sure. But you would be safe if you request south end. Or splurge on one of the suites with their private plunge pools. The second floor ones looked awesome as they were more private with a roof top plunge pool and deck.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent 4-night stay with us. We are pleased to know your Secrets Marquis experience was thoroughly enjoyable and while we wish all aspects of it would have been perfect, we sincerely appreciate your pointing out two of the areas where we can still improve. I truly hope to welcome you back again and on your next visit, I would like to invite you to explore some of our more traditional Mexican specialties such as Chilaquiles, Sopes, Quesadillas and more. You can enjoy these at Vista Ballenas Restaurant featuring Mexican and International cuisine. Because you’re right, what would be a Mexican vacation without good Mexican food!
Kind Regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Marquis. The service was exceptional, the staff very friendly and helpful and hard working; from the gardening (including perfect designs in the sand), beautiful presentations of the great food, great little touches in the rooms to the personal contact we had with staff. Our room was large, beautiful and very clean. All of the rooms have an ocean view. My husband is gluten free and the hotel was very helpful with his dietary needs.
we can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple