“Wedding in Paradise”

Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Wedding in Paradise”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We visited in the end of August 2013.
WOW!!! This is the second time we vacationed at a Secrets Resorts. Oh how we love thee!!! We booked a suite and were upgraded to a Casita with plunge pool, ocean view(STUNNING) since we were getting married and it was available. Impeccable service from check-in, restaurants, poolside, activities and wedding. We couldnt have asked for anything more. We had 16 guests who still talk about how amazing their experience was at Marquis. If you are ready to be taken care of as all of us deserve this is the company to vacation with!!
One negative, the spa. My mother and I had our hair and makeup done and it was a disaster. Major language barrier!!! Besides this, I showed the woman what hairstyle I wanted 3times and still she failed to achieve what I wanted. Honestly, the style was such a simple style too. The woman that took care of my mothers make-up did TERRIBLE. The woman knew NO english, so my lady "tried" to help her by verbalizing what my mother wanted. Well, it was literally 20 min until we needed to be walking down the isle and my stylist finished with me and "re-did" my mothers makeup. Super stressful, no doubt. To any bride out there that might consider services in the spa...you might re-consider unless they have retrained their staff and have better english.
Besides our spa/salon experience everything else was AMAZING!!

Room Tip: ocean view casita with private plunge pool --it was facing the end of infinity pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Was very impressed with property and Los Cabos as a whole. Definitely plan to go back!!! Will probably go the "condo" route next time.... the area is way safer than I thought it would be and I would prefer to eat more "local" and explore versus being tied to a resort. But, if you want to simply relax and not think about anything.... then an AI is the way to go!

I was a little disappointed upon check in and after we got to our room. I had requested (back in March) an upper floor having seen former reviews. We were put on floor 2. I asked to be moved to a higher floor and was told that it wasn't in our category. Evidently floors 1-2 are ocean view and 3-5 are ocean front. We weren't even offered an up grade... even when I called to complain. This wouldn't have bothered me except that is was VERY obvious that the resort was, at best, about 40% capacity. Heck, I would be offering up grades left and right.....

All in all we were fine with our room but that is not the point. The point is that I requested a high floor at booking and received floor 2. I went back and forth with the front desk for 2 days and the best they could do was the same floor. I am certain this is because we booked this hotel through an RCI timeshare.... we should be glad, I guess, that we didn't get floor 1... ha ha!

Still, though, from a CS standpoint... I hope the Hotel Manager reads this as we would have GLADLY paid for an upgrade... but no one would even bother.....

Ok, enough of that!

The resort and grounds were gorgeous. The service was EXCELLENT. I find it hard to believe that others found the pool service bad.... maybe it was simply an off week....???.... EVERY waiter, hostess, manager, employee (well, except the front desk...) was OVER accommodating!!!

We did not book any activities through the hotel. My Husband and I are avid Golfers and I pre-arranged and paid for 3 rounds for us prior to our arrival. There are MANY timeshare pitches to earn you free rounds of golf but unless you enjoy that kind of purgatory.... I would do it on your own.

We (to my shock) somehow got swindled at the airport for a $40. breakfast to earn us $300. in golf but when we told the timeshare girl at the hotel... she assured us we could get that back and we did.... we had to attend the TS presentation at the Dreams resort..... (note your 90 minutes is more like 3 hours....) but, thankfully, we already own a timeshare so this was NOT an option. We DID receive our 40. back along with a 300. spa credit.... but, once again, if you want the hassle... do it but I prefer to NEVER EVER EVER go on another timeshare presentation..... it just isn't worth my precious vacation time!

Food was good. I live in a MAJOR city but for those in smaller locals with not much choice... you will LOVE it. Kinda along the same lines as folks who go on cruises for the food. I am just not a huge foody.... I just want good and safe... and, I am good.

Alcohol... ok, Wine, you can pay for better... but I actually enjoyed the Chardonnay... it was Chiliean.... (sp.) and I like that kind.

Anyway, all in all,,,,, GREAT!! I highly recommend this resort. I definitely recommend a higher floor for the views. As far as the Casitas go.... they look awesome but when you are on your roof.... there is NO privacy as, believe me, the entire rest of the hotel can see you. Same with the "honeymoon" rooms on the first floor..... I got quite the eyeful a couple of times just merely stepping out on my balcony.

We are doing a condo next time but not for any reason other than to be a bit more independant..... Oh, an LAST thing. Go into town via taxi for about 25 bucks and do your own tours. WAAAAAAY cheaper and just as good if not better!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor = Better views! Casitas probably good but your roof is NOT private AT ALL!!!
Glassboro, New Jersey
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This is our second trip to a Secret's Resort this year. We have previously stayed at Secret's Silversands in Cancun which was AMAZING, so we were quick with our decision to book another Secret's Vacation to Cabo. Unfortunately, this resort cannot be held to the same standards.

The Pros:

- The Staff was WONDERFUL, especially the entertainment and bar staff. They were very attentive and friendly. They remembered your name and made you feel welcome. (The only staff that we would say does not fall under this category is the front desk. They were not accommodating with a variety of requests)

- The resort itself and the view. This was all very beautiful and relaxing. There are zero complaints with this aspect of the trip! (PS- You can't go wrong with any room. We chose for this trip not to upgrade our room and we still had a beautiful ocean front on the first floor-- Room 118)

The Cons:

- The food. Compared to our stay at Silversands, this food was a complete let down. I wouldn't classify the food as "bad", but it definitely cannot be held to the standard of a "premier resort". There was minimal variety (only 4 restaurants) and each restaurant had basically the same food in different sauces. Side note: Don't even bother asking the fish of the day, it is ALWAYS Sea Bass. There is no variety.

Another horrible thing about the food: TRAVELER'S REVENGE. Both my boyfriend and I have been horribly sick for the last three days in bed, only being able to get up for the bathroom. BE CAREFUL with what you eat, especially at Spice! Our reservation was at 8:40, they called to tell us they had to push our reservation back to 9pm because they were too busy, we waited at the restaurant until 9:40 before we were even served. Once we were served, the service was so RUSHED, the food was still RAW on my plate. I was extremely disappointed.

- Finally, The bed and pillows! The bed was as STIFF AS A BOARD and the pillows were basically non-existent. We slept terribly for the entire trip.

Bottom Line: This is a great resort for the view, the staff, and the pool. It is not a great resort for food and rest. If you are looking to stay at a Secrets Resort, I'd suggest staying at Silversands. It was far better! PS- You had to pay for Wifi. Completely unreasonable if you ask me, considering the expense of the trip already!!

5 Thank Kristen A
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Truly one of the best vacation we ever had, the staff was excelent really attentive,excelent food also all facilities are very nice and have big nice suites.We surely go back son. yera end party was well organized and had a great band playing

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This trip to Cabo, we went during the off season. And let me tell you, what a nice time to go! It was a little cooler in February, but still, the lack of other hotel quests made for a really relaxing time. The general swimming pool felt like it was our own private pool, that's how few guests there were.
OK, for the hotel. I recommend getting a Private Pool Casita, the ones with the plunge pool on the roof, with the roof deck and such. They are very spacious rooms, with a dining area, a living room area, various decks, separate bedroom, 2 bathrooms, as well as a kitchenette type space.
The hotel itself is pretty elegant, once you walk through the large arch, and into it's property, away from the road. (One drawback is that the hotel is located right on the major road, to get to and from Cabo San Lucas. That road can be very noisy.) That's another reason we liked the Private Pool Casitas. They are down away from the road, closer to the beach/ocean and they are quieter.
The food was pretty good. I remember a great selection for breakfast, and many healthy options for the health conscious. Dinner was just as good, not amazing but worth a try. We dined off the property most nights.
The service at the hotel was great, only high compliments in that regard.
Oh! And the spa was very nice. And the treatment I got was terrific.

Room Tip: The Private Pool Casitas are the quietest rooms, away from the main road, and closer to the main poo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jeremiah C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 2, 2014

After staying at Secrets Silversands in Playa del Carmen, we knew we could expect a good experience with another Secrets property, and we were not disappointed. We'd been to Cabo San Lucas a few years ago and did not need to do any sightseeing, so this resort was perfect for the type of vacation we needed, which was to lay by the pool and do nothing all week. The pools were a bit cold but the weather was nice, so we did not mind. The wait staff by the pool was fairly consistent and the drinks were good. The entertainment staff was fantastic, and my husband enjoyed participating in activities but the staffers were also OK with a "No, thanks." Rooms were clean and well-serviced; room service was fast. The restaurants had very good food and service, but I was most impressed with the great patio off the breakfast area/Italian restaurant where you could enjoy the spectacular view. My favorite thing about this resort is the great people we met from all over the country; you could always have a good conversation with someone at the bar and we had a fun bar crawl night with a great group. My only caveat is to beware of the people at the airport who say they work with Secrets and can add excursions, spa services, etc. to your transportation - they often do not. It's best to just arrange for a shuttle ahead of time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elo_in_chicago
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Me and my Fiance had decided to take one last holiday without a child as she is due in April. We stayed from December 14th to 21st 2013 and the weather could not have been better except the second last day was pretty cloudy which was kind of a nice break from the sun! We stayed in room 528 I believe, Oceanfront, Right by the elevator and seemed like not too many people were on the floor with us. The reviews for this resort are pretty well all good and with reason. Food - Awesome! Staff - Very friendly and always happy and helpful. I will never go for a cheaper resort ever again after seeing what i could get for a grand or two more. for the size of hotel the Food options are great, We loved the Italian restaurant the best but all had good food! Room was very clean and spend the extra money for Oceanfront as you have best view and closest to the ocean. Always nice live music played after dinner which we loved listening to while falling asleep to waves. Go to town and do a Glass bottom boat tour of the Arch (Cabos San Lucas) and the little restaurants and bars in the Marina area are awesome for lunch! Oh and dont Cab to town just catch a Bus across the street but not the one with a Marlin on it, any other is fine and its 22 pesos each rather than $25 US for taxi. All in All I could not have asked for a better place to stay, everything was perfect and compared to my last Cabo stay at the Wyndham(lighthouse in Marina in Cabos San Lucas) the Secrets people really do a great job and I would definitely recommend this Resort for Couples old or young looking for a nice quiet relaxing resort. If you want a party resort do not come here. If you want a quiet resort but want to party just go into town one night! Oh and go down by 830 to get spot by pool or there wont be any good ones left.

Room Tip: 528, Oceanfront is definitely worth it over oceanfront for a few hundred more dont be cheap! barely...
1 Thank SmokinGunFab
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!