Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here for a week's vacation at the end of October. It was our first resort trip to Mexico and first time at an AI. BLUF, it was a fantastic experience, we loved every minute of it, and would go back again in a heartbeat. There was nothing that didn't meet our expectations and much that exceeded it. We were looking for a relaxing week with no planning required and received exactly that. The staff was amazing, the food was great, and the amenities were superb.

Check-in process: pretty quick although we did wait about 15 minutes for our room to be ready. During that time, someone gave us an overview of the resort, some coupons, and an invitation to the hotel's 'membership' breakfast. We agreed to the sales-pitch breakfast in exchange for a $250 spa credit. It took about 90 minutes the next morning at Dreams.

Room: We stayed in an 'ocean view' suite (237). It was partially behind an outdoor tower/staircase so our view of the grounds was slightly blocked but it was still a beautiful view. The room was large, the bathroom and shower were large, and everything was really nice. There was a flat screen TV, mini-fridge, patio, big closets, and everything else we could want. We received turn-down service every night but there were two days where we didn't get maid service during the day.

Amenities: The infinity pool is pretty incredible. We are early risers so we were down by the pool around 9:00-9:30 every day and had no troubles getting pool side lounge chairs with an umbrella. The seats did fill up fast so there were guests who waited for umbrellas or pool side seats. The grounds are beautiful and the hotel itself is very appealing. The gym looked nice (although we didn't utilize it). The spa was good, not great, and we used our credit towards two, 50 minute massages (which were quite strong). The beach is good for walking but not for swimming. It's very steep and the surf is rough. A few people braved the surf in front the hotel but some unwary people were rolled up unexpectedly. There was a small cove down the beach in front of Hilton were we did go swimming.

Activities: The entertainment staff had constant activities from archery to aqua zumba to tequila tasting throughout the day. There were prizes (sunset cruises, excursions) for the winners of some things and we had a great time participating. The evening festivities were entertaining (Mexican dancing, live music, fire dancing, etc.)

Food/Drink: I think we ate ceviche at least once a day. The seafood was fantastic and the rest of the items we tried were also very good. Our least favorite meal was at Spice and our favorite was the French restaurant. My wife is gluten free and they were accommodating to her at every place and several waiters were super helpful with modifications and alternatives. All in all, we were very happy with all the food. The drinks were also great. All the top shelf options were available and the couple specialty drinks I tried were excellent.

Service: the front desk staff and concierge are super helpful and accommodating. The bartenders and pool attendants were awesome and worked really hard. The waiters were a mix of good and great. The entertainment staff was exciting and were successful in making all the events enjoyable.

Location: The resort is located in the 'corridor' so it's not by anything. We took both a taxi and the public bus (an adventure) to San Lucas which was about 20-30 minutes. Splitting a taxi cost us about 25 bucks round trip and the bus was only 8. It was a good mid-week getaway and we checked out the fishing tournament and some of the bars.

Room Tip: We stayed in 237. It had an 'obstructed' view but was still nice. Higher is probably better...
1  Thank krankhead
There are newer reviews for Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We just came back last night from our 6-night stay at Secrets in Cabo. The hotel was fabulous. We were originally a little concerned about the age group that was staying (Adults only) but it was definitely a nice mixed age group. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, this is the one for you. You can be active as you want to be. We opted to just veg out.

The food was excellent. Portions were not large so you didn’t feel like you were gorging on food day and night. The selection was broad. There were numerous hotels to choose from. Special shout out to our wait staff David, Oscar and Elias who was always accessible to our needs.

We stayed in a casita (room 814), which was a great choice. The place was massive, rooms had beautiful decor and the views spectacular. Another shout out to our Concierge Noe. He went above and beyond to help us celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We opted for a hotel outside of Secrets. Not only did he recommend one, he notified them of our occasion and they had the band play a song for us as well as a anniversary cake to enjoy! When we came back to Secrets that night, there was champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a scented candlelight whirlpool waiting for us. I truly believe that Secrets was better than our honeymoon so many years ago!

I went to the spa twice while I was there. Aromatherapy massage midweek and then a seaweed wrap on the morning that we left. Timing was tight and there were able to squeeze me in before leaving the resort thanks to Veronica who was amazing.

We are thinking about our next trip to Secrets Marquis

Room Tip: If you stay in a casita, make sure you ask for Noe Valencia!!!
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just returned from Secrets Marquis. Wonderful resort, great service, good food, amazing views. The rooms are very nice. Beds are a little hard but you can request a comfort top for mattress. Loved the infinity pools (2) Service was excellent! Would definitely return

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I just got back from spending 6 nights at this property, and absolutely fell in love with it. We went with another couple, and decided to spring for the Casita (711) while they got a regular room. This allowed us to hang out in our room while they slept in theirs, and the plan worked out great. The Casitas are definitely a step above, mostly in space and location. The plunge pool right outside is nice, but the idea of walking out of your room and being right at the pool is very pleasant. All of your facilities (refrigerator, restrooms, showers, books, etc) are right there for you, and you always have a spot to sit. The Casitas included Wi-Fi in their price, and also included some other resort services (hot tub/steam room access, larger fridge, liquor in your room) not included with the regular rooms. You can see the pictures in lots of places, but it is basically a large living/eating area with a bar/fridge and a fold-out couch, a bathroom with shower for that side, and then a separate sleeping area with a bigger and nicer bathroom. You can open all of the doors up inside to make it one big area, or close off the dividing doors to make it separate bedroom/living areas. The two bathrooms are great if you have friends with you, or need to get ready in a hurry.

After that, the next thing that stood out was the people and the service. Almost everyone we dealt with just seemed to be happy to work there. You saw the same people most days, so you would build up relationships with the different employees. I will admit that the service can be really fast, and sometimes really slow, but if you go in knowing that you are 'in the land of manana' and just figure that sometimes you might have to order something twice, then you are ahead of the game and will keep your stress level down. Which is kind of what this place is about. If you are going to get mad if it takes more than 30 seconds to get your drink, then Mexico or these kinds of resorts might not be the place for you.

We had a problem with our room (hot water in the shower wasn't coming out, the knob was not working correctly) and maintenance was at our room in 5 minutes and got it fixed quickly. We set up a couple of trips with the concierge (half day fishing, boat trip in Cabo to see the arch) and everything worked out really well. The concierge got us more pillows and an alarm clock for our room and had them there about 30 min after we requested them.

Food-wise, we ate at all of the restaurants once, and at Spice twice. I would rate the food overall 3.5 to 4 out of 5. Some meals were excellent, and some were just mediocre. I was actually impressed with the food available at the pool. The ceviche and fish dishes were very good, and the guacamole was also very good. The hamburgers weren't great, but I thought they put a good deal of effort into everything, and just might not have prepared some of the stuff the way we would have preferred. We liked all of the restaurants about the same.

This is not the place to go if you want to swim in the ocean the entire time. The beach is pretty rocky, and you definitely do not want to swim in front of the hotel. Some of the beach in front of the motel is roped off (to keep vendors away), and that area is well groomed, but the beach itself is public property and anyone can go down there. There are some sand volleyball courts which were in good condition. We did see horses and powered hangliders on the public beach, but didn't see horse manure. I'm sure there is some there, but again its on the public beach and not on the Marquis maintained beach area. You could walk down to the Hilton to swim in the ocean, but we did not. The pool and pool area were great, with enough chairs for everyone, and drinks and food service available all day. I actually preferred it to sitting on the actual beach as you don't get sand all over, and you get the same sun exposure. The entertainment team was really good. They tried to get everyone active and doing something every day, and we played volleyball, did water aerobics, did a massage class, and other activities. Every night they have a list of the activities for the next day, and the restaurants that would be open the next day for different meals.

I have read a bunch of the reviews, and can see some points that people have made. This really IS a place to go as a couple or with a group of set friends. We met adult families who were at the resort together, honeymooners, anniversary celebrators, and couples there just to enjoy time together. I would agree this isn't the place you want to go to hook up for the week, but it was an incredible place if that is not your goal. Also, if all you want to do is swim in the ocean, this also isn't for you. If you want to party at bars in an urban setting every night, this also isn't for you (it is a fairly expensive taxi ride to Cabo). But, if you are looking for a great getaway with your significant other, want to meet a bunch of really nice people (we met SO many great people during our trip), are looking for people providing very good service with a great attitude, and want to relax without stress, I couldn't think of a better place to do it.

Room Tip: Casitas are right by the pools, include Wi-Fi in their cost, have 2 full bathrooms and tons of space...
1  Thank Fstark
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The place

We stayed here for our honeymoon, we had booked a ocean front view but they upgraded us to a Casita villa, room 805, it had great views and super private since its the second floor of the Casitas, so our view was just the ocean in the morning.

The entire facility is beautiful and every staff member is eager to help you get whatever you want.

The food

The food was decent, most of the best food was fried stuff, fries or burgers or tacos, but overall it was decent and not too amazing (or we'd eat too much) but with the money we saved not having to dine out or get food to take back to our hotel room, we used towards awesome activities.

The drinks

I'm not a drinker myself, but my wife definitely confirmed the mixed drinks are watered down and sugary with just a dash of alcohol, so if you want to get "crazy" stick to wine and beers. Overall though it was fine, but thats because my goal wasn't to get wasted or party, it was just to relax.

The staff

The staff is amazing, there are waiters everywhere checking in on your drink and food needs as well as an entertainment staff always giving people the opportunities to go do water aerobics, stargaze, movie night, karoake, or wine tasting.

The activities

We went snorkeling, swam with dolphins, sunset horseback riding and ziplining, all organized by AMSTAR, they were good in giving us lots of information and making sure almost all the events had paid-for transportation (trust me you want to pick the ones that have it, or you're going to pay 20 bucks American for a taxi one way).

Only CON

We, on our first day, booked a Romantic Dinner on the Beach for two, and found out a few days later, it had already been booked for that night, causing us to not be able to have it any other night, since we already had activities booked and then were leaving, my wife was very disappointed, as this was a big deal she wanted to do and the staff messed up by not checking properly, if we had known the night we couldn't do the dinner, we would have customized our activities better around it.

Overall

We had a great time, would definitely recommend it for honeymooners as its half the price of Hawaii trip with food built in! The staff is great, tons of stuff to do around town or just sit by the pool the whole time in paradise. We went in late October, so there was no rain, very few bugs and no hurricanes.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor in the center front if you are staying in the rooms, if you are going for a Casita...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Just a few words to mention the splendid service level of this hotel...It was really a pleasure to have found ourselves taken care by an outstanding associate of name Vania Castro from the Concierge desk. Her anticipation to every need, unobtrusive service and attention to detail throughout our stay was wonderful. Needless to say, the overall facilities are also up to the best standard levels of a true 5 stars property. Congratulations...I will be back!

Loving couple.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

!!Most of how I was treated most likely is due to the above fact that I was alone at a honeymooners resort!!! Most couples should be good here but single travelers or groups of young males should read this..This is a couples and honeymooners only resort! There will be no single women or even groups of them at all your entire stay! ONLY people that just got married were there the entire week I was...
OK so first I have to dump all the bad then Ill acknoledge the good at the end heres the bad:
zero! "Lounge chairs and palapas in the beach area" not a single one!!!! At a oceanfront resort?! This was all I wanted to sit on the beach under a umbrella with a beer!. At night beach covered in horse [--] no one cleaned it up so you cant walk in eveneing at sunset or at night... Unacceptable Not a single person watching the ocean area in case there is an accident (would we treat you that way in our country???) Every day the pools overcrowded from sun rise to the the time they try to kick everyone out so they can put all the chairs away, I didnt get to sit by the pool during the day one time the whole week. Waiters by the pool super stressed out running around and most couple I saw were totally being ignored for up to an hr at times. Zero food by the pool I saw. Not one time was there the smell of food cooking or anything. Corona lights in cans during the day is all you get with flies. and a lime. No showers by the pool to rinse off have to walk to your room with sand and dirty crappy feet.Nasty. Just the overall over crowdedness of the entire stretch of pools up and down was depressing the entire trip for me. I dont understand at all what you are thinking here. I never even saw a business center the whole week there....?no swim up bar, no tvs, no music, understaffed, no chairs or umbrellas everyday, slow service...just awful really...Incredibly overcrowded there was not a single chair open for the 6 days there. I asked for help on the 3rd day to get a chair and umbrella set up for me since I was done staying in my room already for 3 days, and nobody ever came and I went back to my room almost in tears...Thanks alot for the great bday memories unacceptable in my eyes!!!
The only good thing was the room service food was all I ate since no one bothered to show me where all the restaraunts were when I got there how hard would that be I though someone was supposed to do that anyways?
Golfing at the closest course cost well over $350 not including 30 for the shortest taxi ride in your life roundtrip. This place despises americans and only wants and cares about ripping you off and taking your hard earned money...Hawaii is waaayyyy better and much more clean and safer for the same price about I wont be going back the place was a hot fly filled desert surrounded by barrios and slums. Third world like, was very unsafe feeling I ddint leave the ground except to golf one time.
BTW-Every room has a crappy 20" tv from the 90's....why would you do that in a 4 star resort suppposedly?

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!