“The good so far outweighs the bad!”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Nashville, Tennessee
“The good so far outweighs the bad!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This review is a long time coming. I booked my honeymoon at Secrets Marquis a year ago, for a stay from October 6-13, 2013. During that year, I checked TA constantly for new reviews. As of this writing, there are 403 reviews for this place, and I've read every word of every single one of them. I let the bad reviews get the best of me over time, and I lost sight of the many good things this resort has to offer. Please don't let that happen to you!

This review will run long - but I wanted to compare the more common concerns/complaints here on TA with my own experiences at Secrets.

Truth is, some people will never be satisfied with anything. Look through these reviews, and you'll see people complaining about the most basic stuff that really doesn't matter. We were at Vista Bellenas one day, and the guy next to us threw a fit because the jalapeños he was eating were apparently from a jar (or so he thought) instead of freshly sliced. He got the waiter over to his table, who quickly got his manager over, and the guy got angrier and angrier at them both. He then looked at my wife and I and started this whole, "Can you believe this!?!?" routine. All of this was over jalapeños. Sometimes I feel like those guys run TA reviews.

The place:
Secrets Marquis is unbelievably beautiful, and these pictures really don't do it justice. There are groundskeepers out every morning keeping the place immaculate. It's on a very nice stretch of beach and in front of an ocean that you can't swim in because of riptides. Not being able to swim is one complaint that just blows my mind - the beach is gorgeous, and it's intoxicating to listen to the thunderous waves day and night. I would much rather have that than a calm waters filled with swimming tourists while I'm laying by the pool. When you're in those infinity pools, you feel like you're in the ocean anyway, but it's for more private.

Housekeeping was great. The room was beautiful, even with little privacy in the bathroom and a firm bed. I spent a lot of time in the room relaxing and enjoying the fantastic AC.

The food:
We ate at every restaurant on site, and hardly ate the same thing twice. I loved pretty much everything we had. We do consider ourselves "foodies". Yeah, the burger was a little greasy (we were in Mexico - not known for great burgers), but the housemade guacamole, bisque, fish tacos and ceviche all were excellent. You'll find a lot of reviews here saying that they got sick from something they ate. I'm not saying that doesn't happen, but honestly - if you completely overeat heavier foods and sit in the heat all day pounding sugary drinks, you're going to get sick. Your body simply doesn't care that you're on vacation. I found myself getting heartburn (red onions in the ceviche and guac) so I was on a steady regiment of Pepto. It did the trick, and neither my wife or I got sick. At all.

I'll agree that Spice is the best restaurant at Secrets Marquis. Dos Mares really wasn't that bad, even though I kept feeling like I should have hated it because of all the bad reviews here. Seafood at Dos Mares was excellent to have served by the pool every day. Also - the room service is fantastic. We ordered it almost every day we were there, weather it was dinner, a quick snack or just coffee and dessert.

The drinks:
Every mixed drink I had was heavily watered down with simple syrup. This is one reason I think people get sick here. I ordered a Long Island, and almost half of it was sweet and sour mix. I learned early on to sick with beer and simpler drinks instead of the "Secrets Sunset" and the "Sea of Cortes".

The staff:
Here is where Secrets Marquis completely stands out. I honestly don't understand where people on TA are coming from when they say the employees here are "mistreated" and "pushy". Everyone I came in contact with was very nice - especially the "Entertainment Team" - Denisse, Miguel, Ferr and the others. All were fantastic. Erick by the pool is simply the best. The manager Arodi was also exceptionally nice to us. All of these people took the time to know our names during the week.

The service:
You'll find a lot of reviews griping about poor service, and ours wasn't perfect either. Here is where we had problems:
- We never got our towel and cocktail at check-in, as advertised
- I had to ask twice for additional hangars for the closet
- There were a couple of times when drinks I ordered took way too long or never came at all
- We used the honeymoon registry found on their website, and the people at the front desk acted like they had never heard of it when we tried to apply those funds to our excursions and dinner on the beach

These instances were all really few and far between. All of the good outweighed the bad. I honestly think people expect it to be 100 percent, 100 percent of the time. I found myself to be pretty angry (not jalapeño angry mind you) when my Corona didn't come after 20 minutes. I realized I had let these reviews affect my amazing honeymoon. After that I calmed down, and ordered another - the beer showed right up.

We were so sad to leave, and I would definitely recommend Secrets Marquis to others.

22 Thank Jason M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Korean first
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at Secrets for 7 days at the beginning of October. After reading several TA comments we had high expectations. Check in was smooth for the most part, except we had to return later to get the wifi information. Likely as they wanted us to use some of our 'coupons'.

Our room was an ocean front and absolutely met our expectations. Beautiful view, nice ocean sound. It was cleaned by dedicated staff daily. Later in the holiday, the time the room was cleaned varied, as did the turn down service, but a quick call resolved any issues.

The pools as well were stunning as were the views from the pools.

We did walk down the beach both ways and although the sand was course in spots, the views were breathtaking. We walked to the Hilton beach but we didn't swim there, however there were some guests swimming.

As for the restaurants, we ate at Vista Ballenas for breakfast every day, and once for lunch and a couple of times for dinner. It's a lovely, quiet setting. The meals were good, with the dinner being slightly off on some entrees. We also enjoyed Spice for the teppanyaki and regular table service. The teppanyaki was the standout. Otherwise we ate by the pool several times, and the food and the service were good. We really enjoyed the fresh fish entrees. The dedicated staff go the extra mile to service their guests. We didn't eat at the Canto del Mar as there was several other guests that had trouble with the dress code, so we just didn't bother. There were enough other choices for us. We also enjoyed time at the El Suspiro Bar, and the setting here was nice.

We did attend the Fiesta Night and the food was moderate.

We did a couple of trips into San Jose via the local bus and it was very easy and cheap. $2 there, plus another $1 for the San Jose local bus (within the town). Coming back we hopped in a cab for $20.

We also did the kayak and snorkel with Baja Outback, which took us to Santa Maria and Chileno Bays for snorkelling. It was fantastic. In addition we also did the horseback ride down the beach with Benny. Also very enjoyable.

We were lucky enough to watch a mother turtle lay eggs, and then the following day watch as tiny turtles dug their way out of the sand and make their way to the surf.

Our only complaints of the resort were the constant flies, the seagulls and the inconsistent dress code. If you left your drink or food and then returned later there were usually flies all over it. Same situation with the birds. Any food left unattended was attacked by a single or even flocks of birds. The resort really needs to communicate this situation and clean up this habit. The dress code is seemingly strict but inconsistent. Here again the resort needs to communicate this clearly and decide which way its going to go. We were not turned away, but many times we saw shorts and flip flops in a pants only restaurant.

Room Tip: We had room 436. Great view. All we heard were the waves.
1 Thank Fredrecko
New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2013

First time in Los Cabos but we have visited several AM resorts. Oct 5-oct 12. Secrets Marquis seems like a work in progress. You can see that they are constantly working to get better, but it lacks some of the Secrets polish other Secrets resorts have. At times it felt like a Now resort without children. While we were there they upgraded our old tube TV to flat screen. You can see they are taking constructive criticism on TA to make the place better.
Positives: every room has an amazing view. Pool is relaxing and not crowded. Decent seafood. Environment is relaxing and liquor is top shelf. Very clean. Overall go to Secrets Marquis if you want to relax and find an excellent price. We do not regret our stay but we got a good deal on price.
Negatives: lacks luxury customer service. You are treated well, but not special. Some service is slow. We began to tip at the beginning of the meal instead of the end in order to improve our experience. This worked. Internet was touch and go. Open plan bathroom could make for an awkward situation.
Someone at hotel told us Secrets recently "took over" Marquis while they finish the new Secrets opening in Cabo in a few months. I think the new one will be spectacular and the price forMarquis will be more reasonable, then it will be worth it.

Room Tip: Every room has an amazing view. Casitas are nice but honeymoon suit seemed to lack privacy as they w...
1 Thank Maria J
Munster, Indiana
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Recent stay at Secret Marquis was one of the most wonderful trips anyone can have. Resort
was far beyond my expectations. Rooms, food and service were 5 Star quality.
Staff, most particularly, GM-Ankara rendered personal service above and beyond!
A stay to the Secrets Marquis will be one to remember! I would stay here every opportunity I could.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 13, 2013

May I first mention that this is not our first trip to Cabos- this was in fact our third year in a row and we know what to expect out of a resort.

We are easy going people but to be honest when a lot of bad things happen that is what starts to stand out and there are things you just can't ignore.

We stayed at a different resort (the same resort) for the previous two years in a row and thought we would give Secrets a chance as it was to be an "upgrade" and offer "Unlimited Luxury". It ended up being "Unlimited Disappointments" and should have been kept a "Secret!".

There are always some positives:
The cleaning staff for the room were great.
Bottled water was nice
The rooms have a great view (oceanfront)
Front desk was polite and handled issues we had with the safe and shower in a timely and efficient manner.

Negatives:

Bathrooms: they are nice however open to the bedroom, so if you are ill, not so pleasant or private!

Food: Not up to five star standards in our books. The morning buffet is totally lacking.

French Restaurant:
It took the server/waiter 15 minutes before our table was even attended. We noticed everyone had an "I-Pad" tablet but we were not offered this. When leaving the restaurant I asked the hostess what it was - she said the wine list -would I like to see it - I politely said no thank you our dinner is done now.

Pool Side Buffet: Food is in the open air/heat with no ice under the dishes. Doesn't seem food safe with salads, sushi, seafood etc.

Spice:
This is the only restaurant that came through for us. The manager was very friendly and the staff seemed to truly care about you and your needs.

Coco Café: This became our breakfast spot if we could eat and were not ill. Service with a smile and I found I didn't get sick with a coffee and piece of fruit.

International Restaurant:
Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner: We found service was really lacking. If you weren't waiting for service you had 3-4 servers saying they were your server - never to return.

When ordering off the breakfast menu here my husband ordered a fruit plate and omelet - the fruit played showed and the omelet never came - we left. This was perhaps a blessing as I ate the eggs benedict I had ordered that morning and was violently ill after. My husband also was ill over the course of this vacation after eating the food at the resort. It took us a few days to recover. We have never had these issues in the previous two years.

Water and drinks were not topped up at the restaurants (other than at spice).

Room Service: We only ordered this once as I was so ill I didn't feel like leaving the room. I was able to get chicken broth soup. We ordered my husband a meal and they forgot the desert.

The Main Bar: My husband asked for two white wines - one was served in a wine glass the other in a champagne flute. They didn't have any clean glasses apparently....Very disappointing for a five star resort.

The unfortunate part for us is that Secrets is building a new resort in Puerto Los Cabos and before staying this year we were looking forward to staying at the new resort next year.....We can say this will DEFINATELY NOT be the case after the experience we have with Secrets Marquis this year.

We really would have liked to experience the "Secrets Resort" that the others reviewed as five stars....we waited for this resort to show up but it never did.

We are really disappointed in the overall experience, service, food and drinks at this resort after spending the money that we did. There is definitely better value for your dollar out there.

We feel that we were robbed financially (for the vacation), robbed of our vacation time due to illness and robbed of an overall good vacation time by this Secrets Resort.

Room Tip: Choose your resort wisely and maybe choose another one.
9 Thank Rox W
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in August and had a wonderful time. We stayed in a casita in building 7 and LOVED it. The casita is HUGE and the plunge pool is pretty big and relaxing. The room was cleaned twice a day. The pool service was outstanding! Everything was wonderful.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel prior to it becoming an all inclusive. We stayed 1st night in a ground floor villa. My husband woke up in the morning to tinny cockroaches. When we called the front desk, they sent housekeeping with a can of raid. My husband said he wanted all the dead ones he killed out of the room. They sent another maid to clean the room. She asked what she could do. But by the time she got there, my husband had made several calls to have us moved. While she was sweeping the floor, I asked her if she had ever seen this before, and she responded "oh yes, but this is nothing", I've seen worse. They moved us to an upstairs villa as if it was our fault that we weren't use to it. The Jacuzzi tub stopper was broken. When we called it in, the maintenance man said it was stripped and couldn't be fixed so put tape on it to hold the water. The spa staff, I don't think knows how to use the new computer system. My husband asked for a easy Swedish massage. Specifically specified that he had an injury. He was sore for 3 days. I had someone start my pedicure, only to excuse herself and apologize that she had to cut some one else's hair. Then some one that seemed to have never done pedicures before, tried to finish, then asked for help because it was taking her too long.What a shame to let such a nice property go to down hill!!!

7 Thank OCTraveler19
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!