This review is a long time coming. I booked my honeymoon at Secrets Marquis a year ago, for a stay from October 6-13, 2013. During that year, I checked TA constantly for new reviews. As of this writing, there are 403 reviews for this place, and I've read every word of every single one of them. I let the bad reviews get the best of me over time, and I lost sight of the many good things this resort has to offer. Please don't let that happen to you!
This review will run long - but I wanted to compare the more common concerns/complaints here on TA with my own experiences at Secrets.
Truth is, some people will never be satisfied with anything. Look through these reviews, and you'll see people complaining about the most basic stuff that really doesn't matter. We were at Vista Bellenas one day, and the guy next to us threw a fit because the jalapeños he was eating were apparently from a jar (or so he thought) instead of freshly sliced. He got the waiter over to his table, who quickly got his manager over, and the guy got angrier and angrier at them both. He then looked at my wife and I and started this whole, "Can you believe this!?!?" routine. All of this was over jalapeños. Sometimes I feel like those guys run TA reviews.
Secrets Marquis is unbelievably beautiful, and these pictures really don't do it justice. There are groundskeepers out every morning keeping the place immaculate. It's on a very nice stretch of beach and in front of an ocean that you can't swim in because of riptides. Not being able to swim is one complaint that just blows my mind - the beach is gorgeous, and it's intoxicating to listen to the thunderous waves day and night. I would much rather have that than a calm waters filled with swimming tourists while I'm laying by the pool. When you're in those infinity pools, you feel like you're in the ocean anyway, but it's for more private.
Housekeeping was great. The room was beautiful, even with little privacy in the bathroom and a firm bed. I spent a lot of time in the room relaxing and enjoying the fantastic AC.
We ate at every restaurant on site, and hardly ate the same thing twice. I loved pretty much everything we had. We do consider ourselves "foodies". Yeah, the burger was a little greasy (we were in Mexico - not known for great burgers), but the housemade guacamole, bisque, fish tacos and ceviche all were excellent. You'll find a lot of reviews here saying that they got sick from something they ate. I'm not saying that doesn't happen, but honestly - if you completely overeat heavier foods and sit in the heat all day pounding sugary drinks, you're going to get sick. Your body simply doesn't care that you're on vacation. I found myself getting heartburn (red onions in the ceviche and guac) so I was on a steady regiment of Pepto. It did the trick, and neither my wife or I got sick. At all.
I'll agree that Spice is the best restaurant at Secrets Marquis. Dos Mares really wasn't that bad, even though I kept feeling like I should have hated it because of all the bad reviews here. Seafood at Dos Mares was excellent to have served by the pool every day. Also - the room service is fantastic. We ordered it almost every day we were there, weather it was dinner, a quick snack or just coffee and dessert.
Every mixed drink I had was heavily watered down with simple syrup. This is one reason I think people get sick here. I ordered a Long Island, and almost half of it was sweet and sour mix. I learned early on to sick with beer and simpler drinks instead of the "Secrets Sunset" and the "Sea of Cortes".
Here is where Secrets Marquis completely stands out. I honestly don't understand where people on TA are coming from when they say the employees here are "mistreated" and "pushy". Everyone I came in contact with was very nice - especially the "Entertainment Team" - Denisse, Miguel, Ferr and the others. All were fantastic. Erick by the pool is simply the best. The manager Arodi was also exceptionally nice to us. All of these people took the time to know our names during the week.
You'll find a lot of reviews griping about poor service, and ours wasn't perfect either. Here is where we had problems:
- We never got our towel and cocktail at check-in, as advertised
- I had to ask twice for additional hangars for the closet
- There were a couple of times when drinks I ordered took way too long or never came at all
- We used the honeymoon registry found on their website, and the people at the front desk acted like they had never heard of it when we tried to apply those funds to our excursions and dinner on the beach
These instances were all really few and far between. All of the good outweighed the bad. I honestly think people expect it to be 100 percent, 100 percent of the time. I found myself to be pretty angry (not jalapeño angry mind you) when my Corona didn't come after 20 minutes. I realized I had let these reviews affect my amazing honeymoon. After that I calmed down, and ordered another - the beer showed right up.
We were so sad to leave, and I would definitely recommend Secrets Marquis to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marquis Los Cabos All Inclusive Resort & Spa offering all of the privileges of adults-only, Unlimited-Luxury(R) for the first time on the scenic Baja Peninsula. At Marquis Los Cabos, guests can enjoy handsomely appointed suites with world-class amenities, 24 hour romantic in-suite dining, exciting daytime beach, land and pool activities, nightly entertainment, gourmet a la carte dining without reservations, complimentary international and domestic brand beverages and so much more! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Marquis Los Cabos Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Marquis Los Cabos Hotel
- Marquis Los Cabos Resort
- Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa San Jose Del Cabo