“OK Resort...But We Will NEVER Again Go to Secrets.”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Before you write this review off. I am a professionally trained hospitality professional, I know what is acceptable and what is not in a hotel and restaurant. This place is nice but we will not return.

In September 2012 my wife and I and another couple went to Cabo. Based on Trip Advisor reviews and the time of year we decided to stay at this resort.

Let me start with the positives:
-Rooms are beautiful
-Staff is nice
-Location is a nice halfway between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas

Now the negatives:
-Were supposed to have an upgrade to be on the same floor as the couple we were traveling with and did not.
-Constant diarrhea due to food sanitation issues
-Drinks are weak and not premium
-Bartenders don't know how to make simple classic cocktails
-Spice was not open even though Secrets kept assuring us it would be by August 2012
-CONSTRUCTION Noise due to said restaurant not being open
-While checking out and settling our folio we had an issue with our credit card and the hotel promptly offered us to use the house phone to make our toll free call to the creditor. They neglected to mention the $5US per minute fee to use a house phone totalling around $85 US!!! Needless to say had to fight tooth and nail to have this refunded due to the fact that I could have made the call on my cell phone for $0.05/minute.
-The audacity of the front desk staff to ask me to change my review in their book that is numbered and sent to AMResorts corporate office after said shady business practice.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front or ocean view, save the money and get an ocean view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JDOC2135
Write a ReviewReviews (2,023)

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My friend and I wanted a quick, easy and relaxing get-away after a particularly long work project. We found Secrets Los Cabos through a Cheap Caribbean deal and left the following week. Everything was perfect from the moment we entered the gates of this resort. Absolutely beautiful lobby area just set up the whole four day experience. The food was very good. Breakfast buffet was great. Mid-afternoon snacks by the pool were plenty - the ceviche was great every day. Dinners were very good. First night we did a Mexican Fiesta buffet and show – that was our least favorite dinner, mostly because it was a buffet. Next two nights we did Spice (Asian) and the seafood restaurant by the main pool. Both were wonderful.

We didn’t do any excursions due to the length of our trip, but there was plenty to choose from if that’s your thing. We did move our butts from our pool chairs once for water aerobics, which was a surprisingly good workout, not crowded, and lots of fun. Nothing much happens at night....about a dozen people chilling at the lobby bar until about midnight.... Beach party one night with a bit more than a dozen people. It's a very chill resort – which is exactly what we were looking for.

Time of year was great with the weather and also the resort was only 60% full so easy to find a chair by pool. Never felt crowded – no loud, drunk people disrupting a great pool/view of the ocean. Perfect, relaxing days.

We think the best thing at Secrets is their service -- friendly and willing to go the extra mile. Adalberto, is the most amazing and friendly waiter at the pool. He remembered my name from the first day. He was always there when we needed him. The one thing I’d do differently is bring some tipping money to the pool the first day. We kept forgetting to bring any money with us in the morning – so we didn’t tip Adalberto until the last day – which I felt badly about since he was the greatest waiter I’ve ever experienced anywhere.

Great mini-vacation - already planning to do it again next year around the same time.

Room Tip: There is no bad room - all face the ocean. We asked for one on the 4th or 5th floor to maximize vie...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dsmbridget
Reviewed June 19, 2013

From the minute you enter the open air lobby, you see nothing but stunning views, in every direction. The staff is friendly and eager to please, and I've never heard, "it's my pleasure," as often in my life.

The rooms are beautiful and comfortable with well stocked mini bars.

BE SURE you meet Erick, one of the servers who works various restaurants and around the pools during the day. He was awesome, and my husband enjoyed the daily Spanish lesson from him each day!

The food was fantastic. Possibly the best tuna we have ever had during our final dinner at Dos Mares. Oh, also at Dos Mares-the Baja Ceviche and fish tacos were out of this world! We had the ceviche everyday for lunch...and they will bring it to you around the pool - just ask! Also, the breakfast buffet is delicious and a great variety. Fresh fruit was wonderful!

The grounds and beach were gorgeous. And the staff was visibly keeping it that way-they work hard! Room service was quick. Concierges were very helpful -we had trouble connecting to wi-fi, but one trip to the concierge fixed that!

A few things kept us from rating this resort as 5 star. Having been to the Secrets Merona Beach in Playa del Carmen set the bar incredibly high -this location, while breathtakingly beautiful is simply not as nice. And there were a few little things that are overlooked - while the floats/rafts in the pool were nice to have, the fact that they were torn and worn was very noticeable. Seemed strange at a resort of this caliber. Also, the bartenders seemed untrained, or maybe they have bad mix. The alcohol was good -it just seemed the mixes weren't-bad tasting tonic, juices, etc.

Overall, we had a wonderful trip. If your destination is Cabo, you can't go wrong here! Don't forget to meet Erick. :)

2  Thank mln68
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I just got back from three nights at Secrets Marquis. In the past 17 years, we've been on many great vacations to Hawaii, the Caribbean, Riviera Maya, many cruises, etc. So we have high expectations. And Secrets Marquis exceeded our expectations. We think the #1 best thing at Secrets is their service -- friendly and willing to go the extra mile. And we were very pleasantly surprised that the food and drinks were so good. We even liked the food better than the food at Capella Pedregal, where we stayed about a year and a half ago (well, except for Farallon, which is in a league of its own, but you have to pay a lot for it too!).

We had an oceanfront room on the fifth floor, so the view was gorgeous. The room is pretty. Now if they could just make the bathroom a little more private, it would be perfect. :-)

We never had any trouble getting lounge chairs by the infinity pools. And we never had to look around for someone to get a drink or something else. They are very attentive.

We definitely recommend this place and will go back there one of these days.

3  Thank TexasSunlover71
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Where do I start? This trip was everything my wife and I could've imagined. Our stay was from June 10 -14 and we enjoyed every last minute of it. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite and it was worth every penny. The room was very nice, the pool on the patio was out of this world! The staff was excellent, you could tell they enjoy their job and they're not just there to work. The food was terrifect, I don't believe we had one bad meal the entire time we were there. the pool area was really nice and well kept, the water was just a little cold but nothing unbareable. The only thing we did not care for, is that there is really no beach life here. Which that is the pretty much the case in Cabo in general, due to the strong currents from the ocean. Other then that, we just loved this place.

Would I travel to Los Cabos again, yes I would. Would I stay at the Secrets Marquis Los Cabos again, absolutely!!! Would I try another Secrets resort again, the Secrets resorts may be the only resort I stay at from here on out.

4  Thank Long0015
Reviewed June 17, 2013

When we arrived we were blown away with the presentation of this resort and the welcome we received from the staff. The food and restaurants were amazing along with all the other facilities! One of the highlights of our trip was meeting the entertainment staff, especially Fernando Echegaray who took such great care of us and made us feel so welcome, with heaps of fun attached! We have already booked our next trip in a couple of months and can't wait! We cannot recommend Secrets Marquis high enough!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clinga52
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was my husband and mine's second Secrets trip. We had such an amazing time at the Secrets in Jamaica, we decided to try it again. And, we were very impressed again!
Let me tell you- You will never get better service than at a Secrets resort. Everyone there is amazing. Noe, our concierge, was amazingly pleasant, friendly and always smiling! He didn't just assist us with check-in, he really went above and beyond and let us tour the Presidential Suite since we expressed interest in returning back to the resort with a couple. Adalberto, is the most amazing and friendly waiter as well. He remembered my name from the first day and was always there when we needed him.
The food is great, especially at the Japanese restaurant. My favorite morning snack is the chilaquiles! I loved them so much that when I told the Restaurant Manager, Juan, he set up a private cooking lesson with one of their chefs so I could make them when I get home. That's just one example of what kind of service you can expect at Secrets. I also recommend the fish tacos! So yummy!
We got the Casita room with the private plunge pool on the roof dock. It was very spacious and very comfortable. We would sit on the roof deck for hours just looking at the water.
Yes- it's true. You can't swim in the ocean in Cabo. That is a definite bummer. But, they make up for it with a great pool and the best entertainment. Of all the resorts I've been too, Marquis Los Cabos had the best entertainment choices around.
Location: the resort is located in an area called the Corridor. This is basically between Cabos and San Jose. I was happy with the location since it is very quiet. However, it's $25 each way to downtown Cabo where all of the activities are located. We went to the city twice- once for deep sea fishing,another for a glass bottom boat tour. Just recognize that the cab rides can be quite expensive and are non-negotiable.
I will say, the only negative part was dealing with a gentleman named Julio. We had booked our transportation from the airport to the resort from the actual resort itself. Come to find out- the resort uses an outide company called Amstar or Apple to bring people from the airport. Well, Julio was upset since we talked to a different vendor inside th airport to set up excursions prior to leaving the airport, He was arguing with me on the phone and wouldn't send our taxi until we told him who we talked to inside the airport. Luckily, we were traveling with a friend who speaks fluent Spanish. He wouldn't back down until our friend got onto the phone and started arguing back in Spanish. This ultimatum and bullying is unacceptable in my opinion.
Either way, we were extremely happy once we were at the resort. We would definitely go back! Secrets delivers again.

2  Thank Cathy J