“Wanted to like it more...”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Chicago, Illinois
“Wanted to like it more...”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Firstly, it must be said that the property pictures make the hotel look a lot more splendid than it actually is. The lobby area is quite dramatic but the experience of the hotel itself is more average. Staff were mostly excellent and happy to please. As per usual, copious tipping ensured excellent service (which we were happy to do). Check-in, wait staff (David was The Best), room service, pool service was all top notch. The hotel is ready however for a renovation. The furniture is tired and probably somewhere around 20 years old - old non-flat screen television, chipped headboards on the bed, scuffed walls, old furniture and dripping taps. Food was generally quite good for an all-inclusive. And whereas I would not say it was fit-for-foodies it was certainly consistently tasty and well cooked. Each morning a sad basket of uninteresting pastries and a cup of lukewarm weak coffee was delivered to the room so I went down to the little coffee shop and acquired cappuccinos which were decent. Each morning I took a yoga class. I loved the instructor but wish that the hotel had provided a space more conducive to the activity. We practiced quite publicly on grass with towels instead of matts and in the sun. Some kind of hard surfaced gazebo would be perfect. The pools were lovely as was pool side service - plentiful delicious ceviche and guacamole (and a decent Santa Carolina Rose could be acquired with a little nudging). My partner found that there was not enough protection from the sun by the pools. Previous trips to the Excellence hotels near Cancun provided lovely cabanas and opportunities to sit out of the direct sunlight. We had rather dysfunctional umbrellas which on windier days were unusable. The layout of the pool however was stunning - the infinity design which blended directly into the horizon made for a contemplative vista. Generally we don't do day trips at All Inclusives because we want to relax on the beach but the options were tempting on this trip. The day-trip concierge service was excellent and personable. We took a boat trip to whale watch, (I recommend a smaller boat rather than the very cheesy and noisy larger boat) and saw plenty of whales and the most amazing sunset I have ever seen. I went scuba diving for the first time and had a fabulous time with Cabo Adventures and we hopped into San Jose for an evening which was very civilized. Hotel activities varies from sweet to odd. There was an Oscar party which provided a rather lavish buffet and a large projected television broadcast - however, the equipment was clearly very old and the projection was not digital so it was blurry and the sound was poor. Movies were projected out by the beach on a large screen but were attended insofar as I could see by no-one. And I'm going to suggest that THE HURT LOCKER might not the best choice for a resort - particularly given that the sound of gunfire rattling through the property quite startled us before we realized it was a movie. We had excellent spa treatments and the facilities were lovely. Although seating in the manicure/pedicure area was quite impossible and I think my manicurist and I both had stiff backs following the treatment. Also the only hot tubs were in the spa area and although we were told that we could use them whenever we wanted to, when we tried we were told that we were not allowed unless we used the spa. One final thought: for a gay couple this was not an entirely comfortable experience - not from the staff who (with one or two exceptions - I felt that one day we were neglected by one of the pool waiters who shot us dirty looks and avoided us somewhat deliberately) - but from the other guests. We met a number of lovely couples for sure, but we also found that when we entered the dining room there was a lot of staring - not unkind or threatening - just a bit wide eyed "oh my goodness! Look! Homosexuals!". If I heard that the property had undergone a renovation I might consider a return, but otherwise, probably not.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank halbermole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Korean first
San Jose
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The casitas are wonderful with your own pool (we had 810 with pool on top level) - The only one better would be 802 - more private. However, we stayed in a regular room for 2 nights before upgrading and it was beautiful with beautiful ocean front view. You could take a bath in the jacuzzi while looking at the ocean. The infinity pools are great. Dining at the edge of the infinity pool at night right on the ocean front is the BEST! The food is awesome! You can always get room service which was really nice in the casita since we had our own living room and dining room areas. I highly recommend this hotel for a couple. The staff is great, premium alchoholic beverages ( the only thing missing was some good California wine for us wine snobs ), great ocean views and sounds and Adult Only. You can walk down to the Hilton on the point to find a swimmable beach. There were a couple of guys that went into the ocean at our place, but the security people went out to make sure they knew what they were doing. Highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front or ocean view. Get the highest you can. When you get there just ask to s...
6 Thank SanJoseMarieb
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and clean. Staff is nice and food was wonderful! I was shocked this was Mexico! Cancan was horrible, so I was nervous about Los Cabos! I will return! We rented a car and you must pay the mandatory taxes but still cheap and you must have Poco's for the toll. Golf was expensive for the area I will say that! Moises was a wonderful bartender, we left out jewelry out money in a purse no one touched anything! I love eating poolside for dinner food was amazing and the French restaurant was great! Even room service was awesome! Cabo San Lucas was fun at night! Public beach was great! We will be back! I will say the beds are very firm. But I like firm rather than soft.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, we had 339 and love it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lorraine L
Minot ND
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just returned from a much too short of a stay at Secrets Marquis with my 2 adult daughters....this is a WOW from the moment you step out of your transfer vehicle. The lobby is completely open, and your first sight is looking out at the ocean. We were greeted with warm smiles, a wet towel and a glass of champagne. Check in was quick and smooth, and our room was ready for us. We were on the 4th floor facing the ocean. Once in our room, a chilled bottle of champagne and a bowl of fresh fruit were waiting for us. This experience left my daughters with mouths wide open! Our room was gorgeous, a large bathroom with 2 sinks, great for 3 women getting ready, a large double closet and large dresser with drawers.
Each morning, a tray of fruit, basket of pastries and a pot of coffee were delivered to our room via a little closet - the neatest thing! I have been to MANY all inclusives, all 4 star or higher, and this is the first for something like this. Great to have coffee waitng for you; get up, pour a cup, and sit out on the balcony to enjoy while watching the sunrise, the waves, and the beauty all around.

I couldn't say enough positives about all the staff at Secrets. I regret not getting the name of the gals at the front desk, they were awesome. Pool servers couldn't do enough for you. Alberto literally ran to get our towels when he saw my daughter heading in that direction. And, don't even think of moving your lounge chair or umbrella yourself -- they are there before you move an inch to do it for you. When you thank anyone, their answer is always "My Pleasure" . Service at the pool was outstanding - excellente! Always there to bring you a drink, or take your food order.
Mauricio was superb! Caesar, the food and beverage manager, is always present. I swear, he doesn't go home to get some zzz;s! Always asking how things are going, etc. David in Spice was adorable! Ashley was always walking the property and would stop to visit and see how you are enjoying yourself.
We ate at all the restaurants, and couldn't name a favorite - all the food was delicious and the presentations beautiful.
I really enjoyed the size of this property, small and intimate. We were on the 4th floor, and as soon as you got off the elevator on the pool level, just a few steps and you were at the pool and beach. Since it is a smaller property, everything is close! Restaurants do not require reservations, no waiting in lines, no wrist bands to wear..no towel cards!.There is a neat little coffee shop where we would go in the morning and get iced coffees to take by the pool.
You do not need to get up before the sun comes up to get a chair. They are plentiful. Staff rolls up towels and put out on the chairs before you go out. We sat by the infinity pool in the same spot every morning. It was amazing to just sit there and watch and listen to the enormous waves....we had a treat one a.m. and watched dolphins :)
There's not much at night, but there are movies on a large screen in front of the main pool every night. One evening was a beach party with fire dancers and music to dance in the sand by! Karoke one night, but there is a lovely outdoor lounge to just sit, relax and enjoy. Oh, and the bartenders know how to make great drinks, from a fabulous mojito made just right, to a chocolate martini - they do it right! The entertainment staff work hard to get you involved in the daytime activities. Migueal was so energetic! I don't recall the name of the gal, but such a cuties and so sweet! You hated to not show up for what was going on when they came by. There are float rafts provided by the resort, so you don't need to pack your own - not many availalble though.
The bath amenities are incredible! As close to an Aveda product that you can get! They also include sunscreen lotion!
The minibar was restocked every day with Coronas, coke/ diet coke, juice and water and snacks! Don't pass on the nuts, they are yummy!
It seemed like all the staff we got to know knew when it was our last day, and they were sad to see us leave, and we were sad to have to say goodbye,. This will NOT be my first and last stay at this particulate resort, I can't wait to return with my husband! Thank you Secrets Marquis and your entire staff - you made this trip with my daughters an unforgettable one!

Room Tip: The casitas looked amazing, but we were in room #405 and it was an ideal location -
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank lovethesun&beach
Bismarck, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2013

What an amazing stay! I cannot believe how helpful, pleasing, and friendly ALL of the staff were! I especially want to thank Cesar (food/beverage manager), Mauricio and Alberto (poolside servers), David from Spice, and Juan from the bars. They always made sure we had a beverage and that we were having a good time. Service was exceptional! Food and beverages were great. Would highly recommend Dos Mares for seafood and Barefoot Grill for seaside dining. The resort was so clean and spotless, nothing was ever out of place. The groundskeepers and pool deck staff were always working so hard making sure everything appeared perfect! The view was spectacular and setting pristine! I really can't think of anything that they could do better. Gracias for the amazing time! Can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Amber C
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed May 18, 2013

First off let me start of by saying my bf and I went from May 2-7th and the weather was beautiful in the 80's all of the time. The cleanliness of the facility was immaculant. The ride from the air port was scary for me, but not too bad considering we had a private car and not a taxi or bus. Although I heard it wasnt too expensive for a taxi and the resort only being 15-20 minutes from the air port. They immediately took our bags when we arrived and put them to the side even though our room wouldnt be ready for another 15 minutes. The lobby was completely outside with an amazing view.

We went to the restaurant closest to the lobby (international food) and since I am use to tex mex and do not eat real mexican food or seafood I was not really impressed, but the menu did have a variety on it. Quesadillas is what I asked for even though it was not on the menu he told me he would see what they could do. && 10 minutes later out comes my quesadillas. They were bland, but not bad at all. I also mostly ate from here the vegetavle lasagna. This restaurant had an amazing view. For the remainder of the trip we ate at all of the restaurants at least once and had food service by the pool. Spice, the asian cusine restaurant had a dress code for men which was pants and no flip flops although I saw men wearing flip flops, but not many. I dont eat asian food, but I thought it was good. My boyfriend eats asian and he was not impressed. We ate at the french restaurant Canto Del Mar in which they were very strict about their dress code which was the same. The menu was ok. I had the turkey which was moist and good with the cauliflour potatoe like things. There was a hidden Coco cafe near the pool restrooms that had little sandwhiches, cookies, coffee, tea, and cokes from 7-7 which was very nice when you were out by the pool especially. The pool food menu was very good and had a good american variety on it. It was always exceptional along with the service while you were at the pool. The waiters never let your glass get empty unless you ordered tea. Evidently they make tea single serve and not by the pitchers which was a shame for those of us who do not drink alcohol, coke, or water all day. Although when you could get some it was great. Overall the food was a good variety. wasnt fond of room service. Not enough options. There was never a wait for a seat by the pool or an umbrella. They always found you an umbrella if you wanted one. The views are amamzing and the staff are exceptional with the activities they offer and try to get everyone involved.

The room was exceptionally clean and beautiful. The bed kind of hard for the bf, but for me it wasnt too bad. The view was amazing from our room which was on the 5th floor (ocean view), but was basically ocean front. the jacuzzi tub that seperated the bathroom with the room was amazing although didnt allow for much privacy in the bathroom along with the frosted glass door looking in from the bathroom to the toilet. The pastries and coffe were great every moring. The wet bar in the room was great and stocked with MM's, pringles, 3 mini bottle of liquor, corona, and water which was a treat.

We had a little issue with getting our roomed cleaned the first 2 days which was strange. They didnt seem to clean it til later in the afternoon between 4-7 and turndown service again at 9 pr 10. We were in bed kind of early and up early so it was a challenge because we liked to spend the day at the pool and get ready for dinner about 5 in a non cleaned room. Things happen though we do understand. We arent really messy people so no big deal. This resort is much quieter and for the less rowdy crowd. The 2 bars were nice even though I would only call one technically a bar. The grounds were beautiful including the spa where we had a massage which was exceptional and the fitness center which was work able.

Another thing when we first arrived we recieved some coupons for the spa, bottles of wine, dinner on the beach, etc that you can use in increments. We used ours for the massage even though we booked it before we got there which was great. We were there during a cinco de mayo and did a tequila tasting which was great. Overall the resort was amazing, the staff was amazing, and I would definitly recomend this resort to anyone, but particularly to those who do not want to just party all of the time because its quiet here. Juan who was always around by the pool during the day offered great customer service and made sure everything was taken care of. I cant say enough about the cleanliness and how accomidating the staff were.

Thanks for a great trip.

Room Tip: Dont waste your money on the ocean front, they all are pretty much.
2 Thank Bpeysen
Basalt, Colorado
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Beautiful although many Glitches & Gimmicks

Beautiful setting, most serene Lobby, however here are a few of the things I liked and disliked. For the record I have stayed at the following all-inclusive resorts: Secrets Riviera Maya, Excellence Play Mujeres & Grand Velas Riviera Maya. Plus one other place that a friend talked me into about 9 years ago that was such a dump. I don’t remember the name as I’ve erased it from my memory.)
Dislikes:
1. No Swim Up Bar
2. No Hot-Tubs by Pools
3. Coupons they give you are mostly Gimmicks: can only use small quantities towards services so it’s like getting a very small amount off.
4. Can’t go in the ocean there, however we could go in by the Hilton which is a 10 min walk.
5. Turn down service not reliable.
6. Mini bar wasn’t always stocked and had no very few choices. No wine or Tequila!
7. They had regular Coffee delivery before 7 but it was sometimes cold.
8. One day there were no coffee cups in our room for our delivered coffee!
9. Door opened while we were in bed. Knock, wait a few seconds then enter!
10. Forgot my partners Omelet one day and my salad another. Tried to seat us in the sun when we requested shade, funny thing was there was a table in the shade that we ended up getting after we chose not to sit in the sun, at a dirty table. However when we complained online, the food and beverage manager was all over us, they could not have been nicer & service improved.
11. They advertised: Free Wi-Fi however it was only free in their business center! Also it didn’t always work and was slow.
12. The included wine was really, really bad.
13. Only exercise classes was Yoga, however they did have other activities.
14. Spa Prices were so incredibly high, that I didn’t bother.
15. Food – wasn’t that impressed. French soup was horrible, risotto was like scrambled eggs. Sushi wasn’t much to speak of, only raw tuna that I did not like, the Mexican food was good.
16. This could happen many places, there were smokers smoking next to us on by the pool & inside the outside bar. Personal problem for me, but was not a huge issue, perhaps they should have a designated area for smokers.
17. Tips: When it’s an all- inclusive we shouldn’t feel obligated to tip but we did bc we saw others doing it and saw tip jars.
18. Our Iron was leaking so I called to request a replacement and they didn’t have one!
19. Had private, loud parties 2 nights for a private group. Made it difficult to sleep.
20. Concierge called everyday & left a message asking how everything was and if we needed anything to call them. We know they are there and having to listen to their message almost daily was annoying. One call would have been enough.
21. Did not like the music they played at the pool/overlooking the ocean. Would have preferred just to listen to the ocean.

Likes

1. Most people working there were very kind and gracious.
2. Gorgeous lobby. Just breath taking, but so is Excellence- Mujieres and the Secrets in Rivera Maya
3. Beautifully appointed rooms with amazing views. We were on the 5th floor.
4. Beach is not crowded at all, partially bc the hotels in that area are spread out, so that was nice.
5. Beach was beautiful, but no swimming there, unless you walked to the Hilton.
6. Best Mojito’s & great Pina Colada’s.
7. Not a problem getting lounge chairs or towels. Very comfortable. Plenty of umbrella’s available.
8. Rooms were nicely appointed.
9. Breakfast was really good. They went out of their way to make me spinach with my breakfast when it wasn’t on the menu.
10. Presentation of the food.
11. Nights were very mellow, with the exception of the private parties,
…….. Should have dancing & music on the beach like they did for the private party.

Overall it was nice, but pretty quiet. It would have been nice if they had their photographer take pictures sort of like they do at ski mountains and cruises and make them avail available to buy. There wasn't much going on. I usually use the spa but the prices were unreasonable and their coupons were a joke.

8 Thank cshellyg1
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!