“Close, but not 100% Perfect (for our 6th Cabo AI)”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We usually travel to Cabo once or twice a year. We've stayed at quite a number of all inclusives in the Cabo area - Dreams, Barcelo, Rui, Melia and Grand Faro. We were unable to travel last year, so I was quite excited to try Secrets. We were there beginning April 15th for 5 nights. Did we like it? Yes. Will we go back? We are not sure.. Let me recap our visit..
Check in was very quick - there was no one in line when we arrived at about 12:30. We were brought glasses of champagne and cold towels. We were told our room wouldn't be ready for an hour - and were sent over to the 'timeshare' lady. She first gave us our $200 in resort coupons, and then tried to sell us on getting more $$$ in resort coupons if we'd attend a time share presentation. We got out of that quickly! We checked back an hour later, and still had to wait about 15 minutes more for the room. We were taken to the room and we were in room 534 on the 5th floor with a great view of the ocean. The room was very clean and fairly spacious. The mini bar held water, juice, coke, diet coke, sprite and beer. There were some M&M's and nuts, and a few airplane size bottles of liquor on the bar. The mini bar was stocked daily. Coffee, pastries and a plate of fruit were delivered before 8AM every morning through the Secret's 'box'. The coffee wasn't that great, or that warm, but it did the trick for a morning of whale and beach watching before breakfast. (We always bring binoculars). Here's a summary of the rest of the visit:
Maid Service - Excellent. Room very clean, always had fresh towels, turn down service every evening. I LOVED the hard bed. Hubby - not so much.
Pool - Excellent. Never had a problem getting a chair - the employees were always willing to help move chairs or umbrellas if needed. Service at the pool was usually good - there were a few times however when we didn't see a waiter for a long long time. Drinks were decent - we didn't think they were weak at all. Lunch could be brought to your chair if you desired. The infinity pools were really beautiful. I didn't see many folks in the main pool during our stay. The nice thing, and maybe this is because the resort wasn't that crowded - is we didn't have to play the 'reserve the chair' game. Even if I came out at noon we found a nice place to sit.
Beach - Excellent. Can't swim there, but it was setup with chairs and beach service.
Entertainment - Eh... Not so good. The team during the day did try hard to get people involved, but it was hard to get us off our chairs. Night time entertainment was sparse. Movies on a big screen. Casino night. Tropical dancing. Karaoke. We commented that this was probably the quietest resort we had ever visited.
Food - Usually good food with inconsistent service. Dinner at Canto Del Mar was exceptional - but the service was average but very slow. Dinner at Vista Ballenas was excellent as well - and service was great. Dinner at Dos Mares was very good and service was good. Dinner at the Barefoot grill was 'not so good' and the service was worse than the food. The ambience was nice, when you weren't freezing from the wind. The Tropical Buffet was the worst of the lot - I ate mashed potatoes and rolls, and my husband ate a lot from the cold side of the buffet, as there weren't any appealing dishes on the hot side. For lunch, we ate at the Barefoot grill and Vista Ballenas. Food was always good, and service ranged from excellent to average to just ok. For breakfast, we ate at Vista Ballenas every morning for the buffet. Food was excellent to average, service excellent to poor. One morning I sat at the table waiting for beverages while my husband had a made to order omelet. He returned and no one had still come by. I went and got my meal and no one still came by. We got our own coffee and beverages that morning. One thing we noticed however - if Juan (large gentleman with a serious look) was the manager at a particular restaurant, the service excelled. He really knows how to run a restaurant! Kudo's to Juan.
So that's about it. Other than we met some fun people on the trip - Dave, Ken are you reading this??
It's really the inconsistency that would make us think twice about returning. We DO plan to try out the new Secrets opening in December however!

5  Thank BBAZTempe
There are newer reviews for Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel is located as many other hotels next to the main highway connecting San Lucas and San Jose and it is closer in distance to the later. This is not a massive 1000 room property, so you get from point A to point B inside the hotel in no time. To some people who like the all-inclusive atmosphere this may not be their first option; although the hotel has activities for its guests is not one of those places where the music is loud and the pool is crowded.

All of the rooms have beach view, we stayed in a corner room and it was spacious, had its own Jacuzzi and a small balcony, because of the location of the room (corner) it is also closer to the main highway, so it can be noisy at times. Housekeeping is done twice a day, the night service prepares your bed and sets up for next morning complimentary basket filled with fresh baked pastry, a plate with fruit and fresh brewed coffee.

The pool service was a little bit slow when we first arrived but it picked up as the week moved on. The food serviced by the pool at lunchtime and dinner was really good. The morning buffet was nothing extraordinary, but you can order a la carte if nothing appeals to you. Service at the restaurants was always extraordinary.

The beach in front of the pool as all over Cabo is rocky and the waves are strong, if you want to do some snorkeling it is safer to take a cab to Chileno beach (10 minutes south of the hotel) and enjoy some safe swimming.

The spa is clean and the service is superb, the therapists make sure you are comfortable and well taken care of. The spa service includes full access to the facilities (including the hot tub).

Everyone at the hotel was always friendly and helpful, some of the comments I read complaint about the lack of “Secrets” standard. I have never traveled to other properties owned by this chain, so I cannot compare nor comment about the “standard”.

I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the north side of the property are less noisy then those on the south side
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Viri_C
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Secrets Marquis Los Cabos was a dream vacation for a couple who wants to relax for 7-10 days. Positives - Immaculate infinity pools, clean resort, friendly staff, great waves, nice beach walk, quiet atmosphere, great spa & fitness centre and wonderful dinners. I had no concerns over criminal activity or bad food. The best part was being able to go to the pool, at anytime, and get a great pool side chair as well as watching movies 'under the stars'. On the down side it is expensive, one can't swim in the ocean, the Spice restaurant is very average and breakfast is repetitive. All in all I'd recommended this relaxing resort for a week of superb R&R.

1  Thank Cam S
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I'd first like to start out by saying that my wife and I are, to say the very least, seasoned 4 star travelers, especially when it comes to Cabo. We have gone every year for the past 5 years. This year, we decided to step it up a notch and try a 5 star, just to see what all of the excitement is about. Unfortunately, we were sadly disappointed. DON'T GET ME WRONG, it was 4 star all the way, but not 5 star. In general, the hotel was understaffed. The first day we arrived, we went straight to the pool. It took 20 minutes to get a drink and when they guy came, he gave my wife's drink to someone else. The next day at breakfast, I asked for cream with my coffee and we never saw our server again. I had to go up to the counter and ask for it. That night, we decided to call it an early night and went back to our room around 11pm. We were hungry so we ordered room service. It too almost an hour to get it, and it was just a couple of sandwiches. The last day we were there, we had "coffee issues" again at breakfast. When we asked for a late checkout, they said, "Sorry, we have a big party coming in, no late checkout today". ??? "Five star service" ???? There were countless other issues (average spa, no music by the pool, premium drinks only when you beg for them) but enough of my rant. Now the good stuff: The food was AMAZING, the rooms were top-notch with double sinks and REAL ocean front rooms (no peek-a-boo views) and they did have premium beverages available.

PS: What's with those light switches anyway?

5  Thank D B
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were there last week with another couple. The proximity to the airport is a big plus. After the %+ hour flight from the east coast, we were checked in immediately and shown to our room. We were poolside in less than one hour. They have two beautiful infinity edge pools that span the property length. You may swim, sit on stools. hang on the edge admiring the Sea of Cortez (and occasionally spot whales off the beach during Dec-Apr) or float on a raft. Attentive waiters take food an beverage orders poolside and promptly deliver your order. The drinks were cold and the food served properly prepared. Except for the light chatter from a nearby guest, it was quiet. No children and no drunks. If you prefer the beach, it was sparsely populated. Lounges and umbrellas were provided. The vendors were present but not annoying as in other resorts. The water wasn't as rough as touted. There was a cove at the Hilton for swimming, about a ten minute walk on the beach. You could walk for miles in either direction from the hotel. Take a hat and water. The sea breeze is deceiving. You can still burn easily. Note: Sunscreen is provided in the room. Once less thing to carry through TSA.
The breakfast buffet was superb. Excellent omelets, fresh fruit, Mexican food, etc. The service was very attentive. You had a choice of midday restaurants. Many guests preferred eating poolside without having to change. Bathrooms are readily available and clean.
The gym was adequate for working out. I was usually the only guest there in the morning.
The room were spacious, clean with a beautiful tiled shower and a jet spa bath. There were two sinks. Room service was excellent. They provided large amounts of soap, shampoo, rinse and cream. each room had a wonderful ocean view. We were on the first floor. Vistas and noise were not an issue. They call the first three floors "ocean view" and the higher floors "ocean front". Save the extra $70 per day for the upper floors.
The staff was very helpful and always attentive. Many people did not tip but I'd recommend something for those who learn your name by the next day and cater to you. Many speak very good English.
I would definitely return to this enchanting locale.
The A's

4  Thank Andy Z
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed for week of april 6...Most relaxing, beautiful resort..beach breathtaking, not swimable, but to walk on and to take in the sights and sounds of the huge waves was amazing..service the best! food great..rooms comfortable and nicely decorated..infinity pools relaxing..hotel clean maid sevice great...restaurant at night on the beach my fav...maybe 8 or 10 tables
,service tops,food yummy filet so tender,,,sea bass:)..what can I say...quiet hotel some things at night low key..what we were looking for...I broke a lens on my fav sunglasses pool guys got it fixed..so happy!!! Restauant manager fab...really cares about clients..and their satisfaction kudos to you...and to all the pool waiters every one of you are wonderful!!!! and to our pal Manuel at the lobby bar..what a sweetheart..tell him Kapoolya!!! will be back..all in all I have been to 5 secret resorts this has to be one of my fav!!!! check it out! I am in travel business and I highly recommend the secrets resorts,,they are the best ..see you guys next april :) Love, Barb and Bob

2  Thank mrs.frog
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Nothing to complain about here - excellent hotel and service. Hotel is located about 15 minutes from the Cabo marina (plan on a $25 cab ride plus tip OR take the bus for $2 per person). Secrets Marquis has a stretch of beach pretty much to itself so not very many people around (which is a good thing i think). Infinity pools are an awesome place to relax in and stay cool during the day (be advised, we found the drinks they make here are VERY strong - they do not dilute or mix down their booze at this place!)

As is the case with most of Cabo the ocean is off limits due to the riptide (although there is a protected cove you can walk to north of the hotel about a mile away that allows for safe swimming you do NOT want to go out into the ocean past your knees - plus the water was a bit chilly this time of year.

Still there is soooo much more to do in Cabo since the last time I was here 10 years ago. The marina is HUGE now - not only were there seeming at least at least a hundred fishing boats of all sizes there were even a couple massive yachts! Lots of new development which of course is always a good/bad thing. The marina has lost some of it's charm and it very loud, crowded and "touristy" (cruise ships now way anchor of Medano Beach so that adds a lot people to the mix). As with new development the "older" store fronts usually close up. The Puerto Paraiso mall was pretty vacant now except for the first floor still being occupied.

Anyway back to Secrets - we were on the third floor and had beautiful views up and down the coastline. Food was typical for an inclusive hotel (although we ate in town quite a few times also so did not go to every restaurant at Secrets). All i can say is stick with the fish and you won't be disappointed - hamburgers and steaks are always not we americans expect from our beef. Lobster, red snapper, sea bass - were all excellent. We had the hibachi at "Spice" (one of the Secrets restaurants) which was ok food but it's a nice way to socialize with fellow guests. We also paid for two "couples" messages in the spa and while it's a nice and clean - based on our experience in Mexico - it's about average. The facilities are limited and not very big.

We found this Secrets to be more of a low key hotel for night life as there are only 200 some rooms (i was only awakened once from the sound of a hotel room door slamming in the middle of the night so that is a plus compared to party hotels). There was a karaoke night (with maybe 20 people there) and a mexican fiesta night that was fun with traditional dancing and singing. You want to party? Go into town (or the Dreams hotel is not far away and I heard they have a club there) - Secrets is a little pricey but the rooms, staff and overall cleanliness of the hotel make it worth the stay!

Room Tip: Every one we talked to said they had no problems with their rooms and had great views
7  Thank Charlie M
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!