“Totally Worth It”

Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Denver, Colorado
“Totally Worth It”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

WHAT A LOAD OF NONSENSE! Try as I might, this place does not serve the top shelf, all-inclusive drink in a coconut! Yeah, I mean once you get past the sheer beauty of the hotel (guess I missed the peeling paint, bugs and murderous bloodstains) the excellent staff and the more than tasty food, this place is a total let down. Seriously, why did they build right of the coast and then have the audacity to put stairs from the resort to a beach you can't swim in? I place the full blame of me not being able to safely swim on the hotel management. They should add sand bar or something. OH and don't get me started on the weather. The sunrise was incredibly distracting; I was just trying to rest and the bright red skies would just pour into my ocean view room. SO ANNOYING!

In case you're thick, are seriously lacking a sense of humor or don't speak English very well you haven't picked up on my sarcasm. This place was amazing. The hotel, specifically the rooms, are immaculate and stunning. True, you can't swim in the water just at the end of the resort, but if you go into the pool, its basically the same without the prospect of death due to riptide. Granted, we didn't try the spa and didn't try to leave the resort (see: State Department Travel Advisory and everything was free as the the resort), but I really didn't see much reason to. Canto Del Mar is your traditional French, four-course meal with big plates and little portions. The food was very well done. Vista Bellianas (sp?) hosts the best breakfast buffet I had in a long while and trust me when I say I know my breakfast buffets. Spice is good if you are into the fad of "sushi" and like "fresh fish". The fellas down at the pool will serve any drink you can think of and few that you can't (aka Hector Special). There is plenty to keep you busy in the hotel and a walk on the beach is also very nice. If you see my new friend Leo down at the mansions near the Westin, tell him I say, "Hey bro".

Now down to brass tax (Cockney slang for facts). Past reports, as well as pictures, do the place justice for beauty. You CAN drink the bottled water with the ice as they have purified their own water. I accidentally took a swig in the shower on day one, but avoided a nasty visit from Montezuma, so I'm sold on the validity or either their system or my stomach. The pool was nice and although not crowded during our stay, we were able to claim a prime spot. I would recommend staying here and more then likely will again. Here's hoping they finally get some coconuts to serve a drink or two in.

10 Thank lbsc09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Korean first
Southern California
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This resort is poorly managed. The rooms were less than acceptable, issues with bugs and cleanliness.
Food is ok.
For the price and location you are not getting a value. You definitely need a car if you want to go anywhere.
Paint is peeling from the ceiling at the entrance way.
You can't swim in the ocean here. A look but can't touch situation.
Not a fun experience. Would not recommend.
The wait staff in the restaurants could never get an order correct. We would constantly be ignored. Our waiter went to lunch in midst of our order.Had to speak with management several times - nothing ever got better.

Room Tip: Stay at another property.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank CAevents
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2013

This property is amazing! I would go back in a heartbeat. The service, the food and the amenities are probably the best I've ever had the pleasure of sampling! If you want to treat yourself to an amazing trip...this is the property you should go to. Make sure you try the cucumber mojito :)

Room Tip: Ocean view is beautiful but the waves are loud at night...I love this sound but could be disruptive...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tara W
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel by far exceeded our expectations everything was finished up until last detail. Rooms were cleaned during the day and than furring dinner. Food was the best we have ever tasted. Specially French restaurant . We had great time , felt likelihood dollars vacation. Thank you secrets

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank bambulka35
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The property is beautiful, the staff is wonderful, and the food was excellent! The sea bass was in the top five best pieces of fish I've ever had. The room was spacious and comfortable. The views were fantastic.
The only drawbacks were the currents do not allow you to swim at the beach and some of the rooms have a lot of traffic noise.(This is not as big a drawback as you may think. The negative edge pool is stunning and makes you feel as you're in the ocean without the waves) As far as the traffic noise I would recommend you request a room no higher than the 4th floor. The property design will block all road noise if you do this. We traveled with a group and we were the only one who could hear the traffic.
All in all it was a wonderful, relaxing retreat and we are planning a return with as soon as we can recruit a group of friends big enough.

Room Tip: 4th floor or lower and away from the far ends of the building that directly parallel the highway. Th...
6 Thank Ken H
San Jose, California
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. Normally I am not a fan of all inclusives. After reading a lot of reviews, I really wanted to try out Capella Pedregal, but the only thing left was a 3 bedroom suite with a 3 bedroom suite price, so decided to book this hotel.
We used Cabos Express to take us from the San Jose del Cabo airport to the hotel. No issues whatsoever, and even though you prepay for the whole trip upfront (we were a little skeptical), they showed up on time and the driver was very friendly both ways (price was $130 round trip).
San Jose del Cabo airport is nice and new and our bags were out quickly. The trip to the hotel only took about 25 mins.
We arrived at 3pm ish, and were greeted with sparkling and a towel like the other reviewers. The reviews that say the pictures on the website don't do the view from the lobby justice are correct. It really is a stunning property.
The only annoying part of our check in was the activities girl - I think she was trying to sell some Vacation Club (not sure if it was a timeshare or not), and tried to get us to go to a presentation for 90 minutes the next day. We explained we were only there 3 days, and couldn't spare the time, but she kept trying till we said NO pretty firmly.
Our room was on the 3rd floor and toward the end of the hall closest to the Hilton. Gorgeous view and ocean sound like all the reviews mention. I wouldn't want a room overlooking the pool... we had room #341 and it was perfect.
We aren't overly picky food people, and in general the food was just fine for us. We ate a late lunch twice at Canto Del Mar. Jesus who works there was super nice. The guacamole there was very good, and we liked the sea bass and the ceviche very much. The tuna carpaccio was close to inedible, however, I wouldn't recommend.
One evening we ate at Spice - we booked spots at the teppanyaki tables. Sushi rolls were ok and the teppanyaki was entertaining. The grouper was better than the chicken (a little bland) and the steak (a little tough).
The last evening we ate at Canto del Mar and overall it was our least favorite dining experience. Squash soup was OK but the shrimp and fish dish we had had a way too heavy cream sauce.
We ordered our breakfast via room service and it was good. One day we tried to order lunch via room service and after 45 mins and a call saying it would be another 20 mins, we just canceled and went down to the restaurant. Not a big deal but a little annoying.
We are picky wine people. The house wine is drinkable if you are not picky. We put ice in ours and it improved it somewhat, but it really isn't very good. We purchased wine on 2 of the nights with dinner. One night we purchased a nebbiolo from Mexico (Icaro 2006? I think). It was a $140 bottle, maybe the equivalent of a $70 bottle in California. Not bad. We also purchased a Rioja - Campo Viejo - it was a 2000 priced at $80, tasted like a $10 bottle from California.
The mixed drinks by the pool are hit and miss.
Next time I think I'd just avoid the wine and mixed drinks and stick with Corona.
We tipped every one well but regardless I think the service would be good either way.
We were very surprised at how quiet this hotel is and how quiet and clean the beach are.
We are in our 40s. Most of the guests at the hotel seemed to be in their 60s and 70s, for the most part very friendly and well traveled. This suited us just fine and we enjoyed chatting with all of them.
We walked up to Dreams to check it out (noisy and Orlando resort-ish) and we also checked out the bar at the Hilton (really nice with 2 huge beautiful salt water tanks). I think the only thing Secrets is missing is a larger central bar with a little more space to socialize. We also checked out Las Ventanas which looked quite nice as well.
Overall this trip was worth the money and we will definitely be back. Cabo San Lucas is much nicer than we thought it would be and it is extremely safe.

9 Thank happysun16
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at the Marquis last year in January when it was just changing over to a Secret's property. I'm happy to say that it was even better this time around. The rooms are large and beautiful, with a pillow menu, a large jetted tub, and an even larger tiled shower. Each room has a view of the ocean. We were able to sit on our deck and watch lots of whales blowing and jumping.
They have added another restaurant - Spice which was a great addition. Reservations are required for the 4 teppanyaki stations, but is available for walk-ins for sushi and other choices. This only serves dinner. The food was great, and the pools are warm and beautiful. You can be as busy or as lazy as you want. I even enjoyed a cooking class. It is definitely a great choice for the corridor area and definitely worth the 4 star rating. Can't wait to go back. Their main problem is their internet and their televisions and stations available. Once these are fixed, it will be a slice of heaven.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have a better view. The entire property is very quiet and has ocean views, so you...
4 Thank uttravellady29
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!