“A wonderful Christmas Vacation”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We went to the Secrets Marquis for 2 weeks at Christmas and New Years this year and loved every minute of it. I cant wait to go back!!!!!

The staff was incredible, they did absolutely everything that they could do to make sure that your vacation was perfect. The remembered what you liked to drink and made sure that they were flowing and were mixed very well. I found the food to be about 80% delicious and then 20% was hit or miss. But you really get that at any all inclusive.I will say, they sure did have alot of food options. Breakfast buffets, lunch buffets and a few special dinner buffets in the evening. They put so much work and effort into setting up all the buffets. It was very nice.

This hotel does look just like the pictures on the website. It is so beautiful. The rooms are so nice.

The international show was such a great performance. I was impressed with the dance team that they had. Each night they had some sort of activity planned and they really liked getting people involved during the day.

I will say one thing, this is not a party resort. It is a place that is meant to get away from it all. Its so quiet at night that you can actually fall asleep to the sound of the waves crashing ( and we were on the 4th floor).It really felt like you were secluded and away from it all. The way a vacation should feel.

The Christmas dinner was very nice and the New years eve Party was a blast and they really pulled out all stops. We had a delicious buffet with Lobster and caviar and so many other delicious goodies to choose from. They had even went as far as to give away prizes from Tiffanys and free nights in the hotel.

The Coco cafe at this property was a bit of a let down. They were constantly running out of everything there and Paul was the only one that knows how to make a delicious coffee.
I think that they really need to spend some time training the baristas like they do at Secrets Maroma and have a few more options for snacks. Though, the chocolate chip cookies were homemade there and delicious.

The coupons that you get at checkin are also kind of a rip off. There are too many terms and conditions with them. I had gotten a gift card from Santa to the Spa and when i tried to use it with my coupons i wasnt allowed.

The spa wasnt my favorite experience. I dont think its really worth it to go there on your trip.

However,there were a few members of the staff that really stood out to me when I was there:
Paul at Coco cafe -Best coffees there
Diego- a waiter - he was so friendly everyday and always had your drink ready when he saw you coming
Ventura- a waiter
Alexander-was such a great guy, we travelled with my grandparents and he made sure to take the time every morning to have their favorite chair set up just the way they like it and was just so great with his service. They did not have to lift a finger.
Estoban- he was our new years waiter and he made sure that you were happy
Jean carlos- room service- He was the sunshine in your day in the morning, he had such a contagious, happy go lukcy attitude. It was so nice and he never forgot your name.
Melanie in room service was also such a treat to talk to
and Clara was in housekeeping she would come and do our turn down service every night
she was such a sweet person and she works so fast and does such a great job.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are oceanview so i wouldnt pay for an upgrade
2  Thank Tpearsall
There are newer reviews for Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This is long overdure, but here we go. When we arrived at the airport, we were solicited by tour operators, this was our first time in Mexico so we didn't know the game. Anyway, our package included ground transfers. Aparently our shuttle had just left, so we were packed into a cab van with other passengers. Don't expect a lot of a/c, and they ensure that it's packed to the brim. Amstar paid for the taxi as I think something shady happened with our shuttle bus.

When you arrive to the hotel, you're checked-in first at a gate, one your registration info checks out, your permitted to the front desk. It is absolutely breathtaking, one of the best views I've ever seen..They are fabulous when the check you in, they explain everything as to how your coupons work etc. By the way, for the spa, you can only use one coupon per service, and you cant use them on mani's and pedi's.

The room was nice, it was clean, and very spacious. The shower has a nice seat in it, and the pressure is good. I does not have a hand held handle. There are dual sinks, and full size amenities, you really don't have to bring anything if you don't want. The cammode is in a seperate stall, and there is a jacuzzi in the bathroom. There is a huge amoire where you can store your belongings, and an in room safe. They offer slippers and robes for you to use. There is a desk, and high-speed internet access for a fee, but you can use your coupons to pay for it. There is a mini fridge stocked with coronas and bottled water daily.

The little nook is charming, but the patries and fruit that they deliver with coffee is tastless, and not worth eating. We went to all of the resturants except Spice, which was opening on the day that we were leaving. The food in the restaurant by the pool is not good, however the ceviche is delicious, other than that....slim pickins. The restaurant upstairs over looking the pool is ok, and you can wear your casual clothes there. They have a breakfast buffett, or you can order a la cart. Whatever fruit juice they use to mix drinks tastes very weird, like aspartme *sp is used. Anyway, the fine dining 5 star resaurant is very good, except the desert. The filet is great, but ehmound of black mushrooms (or whatever it is) wasn't very good. The salmon was great also.

We really had a flawless stay except: When I went to the fine dining restaurant, I had on a cocktail dress, peep toe pums, and a small cowboy hat. The maitre D pulled me aside and said her boss told her to tell me I had to take my hat off, it was off putting because I had never heard of a lady being asked to remove her hat. I was ok with it until I got in the resturant, and saw men with tennis shoes on, and several women with flip flops and jeans on....

When I consulted the compendium in my room, it never mentioned that women couldn't wear hats. I'm lead to believe that the manager had other reasons for calling me out, I did look very different from all of the other patrons. (But whatever, that's to be expeted for us).

The spa is terrible, it's nice looking, but the employees half-&%$ everything. I got the worst pedicure and deep tissue ever, and the steam room was way too hot.

The jacuzzi in the room wasn't very clean, and the beds are firm, but tolerable.

Overall, we had a decent stay. I'll probably look for a different hotel when I come back to Cabo.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean and are suites.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank YellowOne
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Where to even begin. This is my first review and I felt compelled to write it because in my 47 years of traveling all around the globe, I have never, ever, had such mediocre service and abysmal food.

This was my first time at an "all-inclusive" and I can certainly say it will positively be my last. We arrived Christmas Eve and departed New Year's Eve. Let's start with The Food - it was almost like they were only allowed to use 8-10 different ingredients but were told to come up with different ways to name the dishes. Pay attention to what you have for breakfast as it was then magically transformed into "lunch" then "dinner" later on in the day. The day we arrived, I asked for Guacamole with my chips. Simple, enough, right? I was told "...sorry, no guacamole, we have no avocados today..." No avocados. Anywhere on property. In a 5-star Mexican resort. Are you kidding me?

No wonder the food was "included", every meal was horribly redundant. The resort waitstaff were completely uninformed about what what in a dish, or even how things were served. Once when I asked my server if a dish was served hot or cold, he smilingly answered an enthusiastic "yes!" - no idea what I was talking about.

The Drinks - I would venture a guess the amount of alcohol in a mixed drink was minimal, if there at all. The "House" wine was undrinkable.

The Resort - The resort itself is listed as one of the "Leading Hotels of the World", I have to believe this was prior to Secrets taking it over several months (years? - again, couldn't get a straight answer on this one) because there is NO WAY this hotel meets the standards of excellence you would expect. There is peeling paint and cracked concrete everywhere. The promised coupons/vouchers were not provided until 3 days after our arrival as "...Um, someone else from another company has them and they are not here today...." - what was that supposed to mean - weren't they expecting us?

Every morning a plate of teeny tiny sliced fruit is placed in your room, often this was moldy (yuk!) and accompanied by cold coffee and stale rolls and pastries, I think I have to find that photo and post it because it was just so unbelievable. The bed was very unsupportive and uncomfortable with a big seam running down the middle - maybe two queens were pushed together to make a "king-ish queen" size bed? You could see where 2 headboards were attached to the wall, but the King "bed" was not under them, but sort of in the middle of both - very odd.

On the positive side, the views are lovely and beach is nice, but really, you could find that any any one of the many, many beautiful resorts in Cabo.

Discovering we had to go OUT to dinner to get a decent meal after we had PAID for the food beforehand is simply unacceptable at a property claiming to be one of the "Leading Hotels of the World". NEVER, NEVER will I return to this property, and you shouldn't either.

11  Thank Gabrielle G
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We went to Secrets with our friends for NYE. The hotel on arrival has incredible views. Our check in was a little confusing and seemed rushed. Our room was not ready and that was okay because we arrived early. We were not given the information on credits, coupons (be sure to ask), restaurants or even given a map. We found out about the credits from our friends and we went back to the front desk to ask about them and the guy said he remembered us, however with another guest....? (disappointing)

We decided to upgrade to a Casita and requested for a roof top villa with a jacuzzi. We thought it would be fun to bring in NYE with our friends with a roof top jacuzzi. We got to the room all excited and it was a lower unit (not the roof top like we requested) and it was no small up charge to up grade the room. We went back to the front desk and they said they were all out of roof top. (disappointing and now misleading to get us to up-grade). They said they would move us the next morning....okay...we are rolling with it and we are with our friends and in Cabo. We asked the front desk to please have the jacuzzi heated because it was cool outside (the lower villas have wrap around water feature) "It is our pleasure to send someone down"......is what we got 6 times and still no heat....and it turns out it is not a jacuzzi it is a pool. (misleading and bad service).

We were moved the next day to the roof top and we were PROMISED that our jacuzzi would be heated and they were sorry......you guessed it...it never happend.

**The pearl of the above is...the Casita's are really nice and big. Get one that is near the water and top floor. Just know that the tub is not a jacuzzi and there is no heat.**

The service was pretty poor and it was really not that busy and agree with the previous poster that tipping did not help. Our friend is still waiting for a Mai Tai 6 days later ;)

The food is relative to what you think value is....we thought the food we mediocre at best. This is a high end resort and we were expecting more for our money. This is just our opinion.

This is an older adults resort and we are in our early 40's and the crowd was nice but older. When people say there is no night life...there is really no night life at this resort (even on NYE).

So why the 4 stars.....this place has huge potential and would really have given 3.5 to be more accurate. They did comp 1/2 of our up-grade fee which was appreciated. The 2 guys that helped get the volleyball together was really fun! We also met great people at this resort.

We would not come back to this resort, we like more night life/ party atmosphere. Cheers-

Room Tip: High floor/ Roof Top Casita near the ocean
6  Thank Zentrauma
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've put off writing this review for the last couple months, because I was overwhelmed with where to begin.

Going into the trip, neither my boyfriend nor I were impressed with resort, all-inclusive vacations. I'd never been on one, but had never wanted to because they seemed boring, tedious, and isolated. After our 4-day, 3-night trip to Secrets Marquis for a wedding, our opinion changed drastically. No Señor Frog's here!

I would agree with other reviewers that unless you're coming as a couple, this may not be the place for you. I didn't see any families there, and only a few small groups of single or solo girlfriends.

From the minute you step out of the taxi, you are treated like a special guest (although you might have to endure the obligatory sales pitch from timeshare agents while you sip your welcome champagne). Coming from New York, I'm not used to service personnel being so incredibly cheerful and happy to serve me. They're either very well-treated by their employers or hide things very well.

I would take you step-by-step through my weekend, but you don't have time for that. Here are the highlights and some tips:

-Skip the French restaurant (El Canto del Mar). It's a long wait and you must go in small groups. The food is not worth the wait. Instead, try one of the daily ceviche specials at the cafe or the grill by the pool.

-Find out who Adalberto is and treat him well--he was at the service of our group nearly 24/7. For example, the sun was in my eyes at the pool grill one day, and from across the pool area he saw, came over, and adjusted the umbrella at our table. Tips are welcome but not expected.

-Even our -junior- suite was amazing. Two queen sized beds with large armoire are in the bedroom, separated from the bathroom area by a large whirlpool bathtub. A glass walled toilet area and large shower with seating are just past the double sinks. Every room was facing the ocean, so the view was amazing.

-If you were hoping for lots of swimming in the waves, you'll have to walk about .75 miles down the coast to the Hilton. There is no swimming allowed in the beach right at the foot of Secrets due to a vicious riptide. The walk down to the Hilton is worth it for the calm, warm waters.

-Join an impromptu cooking class! They are led by the entertainment coordinators spontaneously throughout the week. After you've become addicted to the ceviche served at the restaurants, you might have the opportunity to learn how to make it yourself! We made sea bass ceviche and pico de gallo.

-We couldn't find jacuzzis anywhere, and suspect that they are only available through the spa ($)...that was one of the few minuses, especially because the pools are kept so chilly.

-Do get out and see the village of San Jose! It's a short taxi or bus ride down the main road, and it's worth a look. Loads of art galleries, popsicle stands (paleterias), and cute shops abound. Much less touristic than the more popular San Lucas.

It's hard to get tired of the sunny, dry weather and amazing sunsets. You won't regret this low-key resort!

Room Tip: All rooms have a beach view! You really can't go wrong, although high up would be best for the v...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We just returned from a one week trip in Los Cabos on January 8, 2013.
This hotel property has great, spacious rooms with balconies offering a spectacular view of the ocean. You can see the sunrises and sunsets easily from the large balconies and if you're lucky, a whale or two in the distance. We were fortunate to be there when the whales were fairly active.
In preparing for this trip I read other trip reports and thank all of you who shared your tips, suggestions and comments. In particular, the ease of taking a bus. The Secrets of Marquis is in a resort area - if you want to go to Cabos San Lucas or San Jose - you need transportation. A cab is about $30 US however the bus is $2 US. There is no set schedule for the buses but they go by often. The trick is to stand on the side of the highway where they can pull over. When you see them approaching, wave you hand. Easy and cheap. All the drivers we had spoke some English.
We went to both Cabos San Lucas and San Jose. San Jose has an art district which is cozy. There are alot of galleries and gift stores. Cabos San Lucas has a marina which felt alot more touristy with vendors trying to sell you everything from a whale watching tour, deep sea fishing adventure, zip lining, bar hopping or anything they could potentially sell an obvious tourist. Although there seemed to be someone selling you something at every step you took, they were pleasant, polite and some quite funny. There are alot of open bars and restaurants on the habor, many offering views of large TVs showing NFL games.

The resort - Secrets Marquis- is beautiful and clean. We've been to many resorts in the Caribbean and across Mexico but felt that this property had one of the best views/balconies and nicest rooms. It is definitely one of the nicest.

I had read some comments from other trip reports about the "privacy" in the bathroom. I now understand. The bathroom door is a single piece of frosted glass. The bathroom itself is very open with a jacuzzi tub offering a view to the balcony/ocean. Needless to say, there is no privacy in the bathroom.

There are 3 pools. I believe because the whales were active, the seats by the pool facing the ocean were often taken as people could possibly sight a whale or two as they swam by. However, the staff were very helpful in trying to help us find chairs in locations we preferred.

This resort has a rule that states "reserving or holding of pool chairs is forbidden. Items left before 7 am or unattended for 60 min. will be removed". This rule lessened the early morning rush other resorts have to get a good spot by the pool.

The number of staff surprised me. Not sure the ratio, but it seemed high. They were all very polite and professional.

We found that tipping didn't seem to improve service. In fact, unlike other resorts where you can build a relationship with a bar tender or server didn't happen here. We learned that the bar and pool servers had different "locations" every day so we didn't have the same server very often. We tipped daily and often but noted that those beside us who didn't tip got the same service.

We arrived on Dec. 27th. The food the first 2 days was exceptional - outstanding!. On the evening of the 29th we attended a show that had great performances. I would recommended that event. Although it was buffet, the food was good. However, it seemed that in preparation for new years eve events and after that event, for the following days, the service and food quality was mediocre, perhaps even poor. For example, our first dinner was at the Vista Ballenas. We were very impressed. Another evening we went to the Canto des Mar. The service, attention, food presentation and quality that evening was exceptional. After New Years eve - Jan 1 and 2, we returned to both those restaurants and were disappointed. In fact our last evening we left the restaurant after waiting 15 min to order dessert. The lunch at Barracuda, by the pool area, is good. I ordered twice off the lunch menu and had great meals.
There is a buffet as well that is open for lunch and grazing all afternoon. Nice touch if you want a little snack mid day. Their fried tortilla chips and guacamole are addictive!

There is a little coffee shop called Coco Cafe. You can order lattes, espresso, etc. which are great.

The beach is amazing. You can walk for hours.

Overall, great resort!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank michelle862
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I and our 23 year old daughter (along with her friend and her friend's boyfriend) stayed at Marquis the week of December 15. It was a long trip coming from Toronto (over six hours) but at least it was non-stop. We arrived a little late (no problems at the San Jose airport or with the tour shuttle - at least we got dropped off at our hotel first). The very first thing you notice is how charming the open lobby is and how accommodating the staff are. Our room was on the 5th floor (all rooms face the ocean) and it was amazing. Other reviewers have talked enough about the food (did not try Spice but did go to the French restaurant twice) and the main restaurant for breakfast (sometimes ate buffet - huge selection) and sometimes a la carte (great omelettes and eggs benedict) as well as for most lunches (can't say enough about the beef carpaccio, shrimp bisque and shrimp salad). As well, everyone who served us was very friendly (Elias - main restaurant), Ernesto (bar) and Aldaberto (pool bar).
My husband and I found this place very relaxing although my daughter and her friends found the hotel to be a little quiet. This may have been because it was only about a 35% occupancy when we were there.
The entertainment staff were fantastic, especially Jenna and Cartier, and they did their best to get guests to participate in the activities. My daughter did beach volleyball everyday as well as the cooking lesson, craft painting, target shooting. My husband and I did some of the activities as well. Again, kudos to the Entertainment staff for all their efforts.
If I had any complaint at all, it was the one day the girls decided to go zip-lining and were told by the concierge that it would cost them $18 - $20 cab fare. However, when they arrived the cab driver wanted $35. Make sure you ask cab driver how much your trip will be before you go. Other than that, abolutely no complaints and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: The higher up you are (5th floor is top), the better the view (even saw some whales jumping in th...
1  Thank D_B_S_13
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Residences

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!