“Breath taking beauty...great get away”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
enfield, ct
“Breath taking beauty...great get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from a anniversary trip to Cabo. We are well traveled and are accustomed to high end resorts. We LOVED Secrets Marquis! We had been reading trip advisor as our trip approached. We had read some things that made us nervous. We wanted to give our 2 cents. Secrets has amazing views, fantastic service, and was very clean. Beach was great for walking, beautiful rock formations and we saw baby turtles being released into the ocean. Sunrises were breath taking. We had our coffee and pastries every morning while watching the sunrise from our balcony. Food was good and some meals were great. We dined at the Italian restaurant at Dreams which was included in our package. It was fantastic! Drinks were good ask for the premium liquors and they will be happy to oblige. Suspiria bar has the good stuff even made Cosmo's for me. We loved the coffee bar. It was a nice perk. Spa was better than anticipated and a great value plus you can use your coupons. I have been to several spa's in Scottsdale and this spa was just as good. I had the chocolate wrap treatment it was amazing. Only problem we had was with the front desk and that got straighten out. We would return for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jcflorian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My girlfriend and I just returned from an amazing week at this hotel. I wanted to give you some real feedback while it is still fresh.

The trip from NJ took about 5.5 hours non-stop from EWR to get there and only 4.5 to get back due to a strong tail wind. We flew United non-stop. The flight cost about $760 each and was booked back in August.

There are a few ways to get to the Secret Marquis from the airport. You can take a cab for $65, take a shuttle for about $13 per person one-way, or go online to Amstar and book a private shuttle for $80 per person round trip. We decided to take a cab which took about 20 minutes. Just walk outside and book any cab. They have a number of people trying to sell you a cab or shuttle. They all work for the same place and the costs are all the same. The shuttle is cheaper but makes more stops and can be crowded. We wanted to get right there. Please note that the cab ride back to the airport cost less. It is $35 US or $350 pesos, which is about $28. It is cheaper to use pesos, so that is what we did. I am assuming that it may cost $650 pesos from the airport but I was not able to confirm. I would try that route if you have pesos on hand when entering the country.

Since I am mentioning money, each peso is worth about 8 cents, so $10 pesos is about $.80, and $50 pesos is about $4. The exchange rate was around 12.5 to 13 pesos per dollar while we were there. They will gladly accept either currency. The key is, you get more value when you use pesos. As mentioned previously, the cab ride back to the airport costs either $350 pesos or $35 US. $350 pesos is only worth $28 US, so you are actually paying more to use US currency. It is my understanding that Mexicans view $10 pesos as the equivalent to $1 US even though it is only worth $.80 when you do the math. That is why it makes sense to use pesos on larger purchases.

Now that I have cleared the transportation and money up, let's move on to the Hotel. All I can say is that it is absolutely beautiful. The website pictures more than do it justice. The rooms were huge, with king-size beds, dual bathroom vanities, large showers, jacuzzi tubs, and plenty of closet space. There is a private balcony with every room.

The food is amazing. You have a choice of 2 places for breakfast, 2 pool bars/restaurants and one indoor restaurant for lunch, and 2 outdoor and 2 indoor restaurants for dinner. We only had breakfast at the main restaurant twice. The omelets and smoked salmon with cream cheese on a bagel was very good. Lunch ranged from burgers to all kinds of traditional Mexican fare, to the freshest seafood. The burgers, quesadillas, and ceviche were excellent. For dinner, the French restaurant was as good as advertised and deserving if the AAA award. The outdoor seafood restaurant near the pool was also fantastic. We also elected to purchase a private dinner on the beach. It was easily the best meal we had and one of the best meals that I ever enjoyed. For $190 (after using a $60 coupon they give you), we enjoyed huge lobster tails and filet mignon for me (sea bass for my vegetarian girlfriend) and 3 other courses. We were stuffed. It was a very romantic experience as only 2 - 3 couples are able to enjoy this candle lit experience per night. Please note that you are also able to travel to the 2 other Secret Resort hotels in the area for dinner with a reservation. The cab ride is $10 US each way.

There are 2 main bars at the pool and one bar on the restaurant level that is open at night. All of the drinks are great. I must have had every type of colada there is. The drinks are tasty but not overly strong. You can tell them to add more liquor if you like and feel free to specify if you want any specific brand and they will oblige. The service from the wait staff is first class all the way. Everyone is extremely friendly and they go out of there way to accommodate you. Even though this is an all inclusive, I highly recommend that you tip each day and for each meal. These guys are working their butts off and it is extremely hot. I typically gave about $5+ per afternoon for the wait staff that brought out my drinks and food to the pool. I tipped accordingly when I dined at any of the restaurants.

As far as the weather, all you need to know is that it hadn't rained in over 3 years until one week this past September when it rained for 3 straight days. The weather was sunny and over 90 degrees every day. It was in the 70's at night but felt hotter. It did get cloudy the Sunday we left for some reason. Please note that the heat is intense during the day. Bring and use plenty of sun screen. Also bring a hat. I did not have one the first couple of days and my scalp got a bit overheated. Every man was wearing a hat even in the pool. Some women were as well. If you forget, they sell hats in the hotel store or you can support the beach vendors like I did.

For the most part, this hotel is very reserved and laid back. Mainly married couples and newlyweds. Definitely not the spring break sort of crowd. For that, you would have to travel down to Cabo San Lucas. The entertainment staff does their best to liven up the days with beach/pool volleyball, ping ping, other activities, but you will find yourself mainly at the pool eating and drinking. The craziest time we had was at the bar crawl that they do on Wednesdays and Saturdays. A trip to Cabo San Lucas to hang out at a bunch of the hottest clubs complete with many shots. We had a blast. We also did our own excursions including ATV riding, and a tour of San Lucas and San Jose, complete with tequila tasting and a glass bottom tour of the beaches.

While on the subject of beaches, the beach in front of the hotel is not swimmable. The waves are entirely too big and rough and the currents are extremely strong. We were able to swim a bit next store at the Hilton (about a 10 minute walk) but even that was challenging. I would recommend taking a snorkeling tour which includes swimming at more tamer beaches in Cabo San Lucas.

That's about all I have for you. Have a great time. I highly recommend Los Cabos and especially the Secret Marquis.

• Stayed October 2012
17 Thank Randy B
SANTA CRUZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

a magical, serene place for a honeymoon or a girls retreat. Azur, blue views in all directions and 400 linear ft of infinity pool to view from. Everyone has a pool front lounge, very rare. The service and staff were exceptional and oh so gracious at all times. Lovely isolated yet close to cabo, but I never wanted to leave. I would highly recommend the resort to couples and adults wanting a retreat from the maddening crowds.

Room Tip: all rooms face the ocean, the pictures on the website are true depictions of the resort
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DOLPHINWATCH
chicgao
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

First I have to say, my wife and I are still laughing at some of the negative reviews we read prior to going.

My wife and I go try to go away for our anniversary every year. This year we chose Cabo and the Secrets Marquis. As it kept getting closer and reading some of the reviews on Trip Advisor, we almost changed to a different hotel.

We had an amazing time. We knew not to expect a Four Seasons, although the service does come close. The food was great. For breakfast you can eat off a buffet or order from a menu. Lunch at pool or many of the restaurants are open for lunch service. Nice variety for dinner. The food is very good and the presentation is amazing. If you want something that is not on the menu, just ask and the server will do his or her best to get it for you. You also have the opportunity to dine at Zoetry and Dreams if you so desire. We ate at Zoetry, and it was so nice. We found it great to have that opportunity if we ever wanted to stay at Zoetry.

The rooms are exactly as expected. Very, Very nice and comfortable. The view is to die for. We were in 430. Center direct ocean front. The hotel seems to be closer to the ocean than many others we saw, so your distance from the ocean is almost a stone throw.

The hotel itself is gorgeous. Kept up and meticulously clean. There is another restaurant and club opening and the hotel staff does a great job keeping the work private and does not interrupt your stay.

Entertainment is not really not present. Yes there is a Mexican fiesta night and a beach party, but if you are looking for entertainment, this is not the place.

Pools are fantastic! Infinity! We sat at the edge for hours and read. Big deal about ocean not being swim able. If folks did their research they would realize that most of Cabo is not. Even the cove at the Hilton seemed pretty rough.

Service was amazing. Some people to know about, noe, vanlia, Erich and hector at pool, Claudia, just to name a few.

Black flies, from what we heard from others were a problem all over Cabo a few weeks back.

We had a safe issue and the hotel made it all good and took care of us and the issue.

We have stayed at many Four Seasons and other 5 star properties around the world, and while this may not be a 5 star, it is almost as good. Looking forward to many more visits.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank dogsammybammy
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked it because it was a new property and no construction on either side. The location was near all the upper end hotels. When we pulled up to the open air lobby I was blown away. Spectacular is the only thing I can say.The service was GREAT..I did not sign up for the romance package due to our budget. We told them it was our honeymoon. When we got to our room they had compted us the package. That quick like magic. Rose petals everywhere on bed. 10 minutes later a bottle of champagne on ice and two glasses arrived.Everynight while we were out to dinner we arrived back at our room to a candle lit bath with rose petals on bed and in bath and a swanky dessert for two layed out on the table We also had a little cubby that was acsesed from the outside of our room. Every morn we would get coffe,pastries and fruit. On every floor there were nice pieces of art and sculpture. The infinity pool was the best I have even been it. The big Bonus was there were only 3 to 4 other couples in the hotel. I think it is a dreams resort now so it may not be as luxurious. It was heaven for us.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kymberlane
Ensenada, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Best all inclusive, a real luxury resort, with the Staff a 100% to your service, food, drinks and pool "Excellent".What a beautiful resort. Everything was amazing. The service the food was beyond my expectations. It is an adults only resort . The beach is great for long walks. The pools are amazing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuisEPerez
Vancouver, B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. This was the perfect place. It was one of the first times away with no kids, so we really liked the "adults only". What a beautiful resort. Everything was amazing. The service was beyond my expectations. The cold towels on arrival, and at the pool were a special treat. I would highly recommend this place, if you really want to relax, and do nothing. It was very quiet with nothing to do but lay on the lounge chair with my book. The evenings are very quiet as well, and after dinner there is no entertainment which was fine for us, as we were just there to relax and do nothing. It was all couples, some were honeymooners, but mostly milestone anniversaries 10, 15 and 20 years.
If you are looking to party, this is NOT the resort for you. If you want a quiet romantic holiday with great service, this is the place to go.
My only negative comment has nothing to do with the resort at all, but it was that we could not swim in the ocean, but I knew that before we arrived, so I was not disappointed. The beach is great for long walks. The pools are amazing, and spent most of my time in between them and my lounge chair.
The guacamole and chips are the best, and the ceviche I had everyday. It was so fresh.
I would definately come back to this resort for another relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: All rooms have oceanview.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,108 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,993 reviews
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!