Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Let me preface that my wife and I are mid-50s, were celebrating our 35th anniversary and have stayed at Secrets Capri and Secrets Royal Beach. We like relaxing versus a big party.

We stayed from September 8th to the 14th.

Per a previous review, we were there during the attack of the black flies, but to hold that against the resort is ludicrous. We went to eat at Zoetry Casa Del Mar and they were worse. In fairness, the staff had the entire resort fogged one night and it did little to nothing. That is just luck of the draw. We were there while TS Kristey was in the Pacific and during the rain on Thursday, the staff shined like a diamond, setting up the lounge chairs and towels, taking them down and wetting them back up not once but twice. They also set up the rainy day schedule and kept extra bars open that would normally be closed. One example of the outstanding service.

PROS: Infinity pools are fabulous. Service is phenomenal. Rooms are spacious and beautiful. ALL the rooms are really ocean front and have a great view. Housekeeping was spotless.

CONS: No swim-up bar, meaning no real gathering place. Ocean is out there, but you can't get in. I know, it's not their fault, but I'm just stating a fact. There are very limited sitting/umbrellas on the beach. Entertainment staff tried, but they could rarely get anything going. I think this was partly because of the lack of the swim-up bar.

Food: Good to very good, not great. Best bets - Barefoot Grill & Dos Mares. Co Co Cafe was a very nice touch. Never had to wait for a table and the portions were pretty big.

Rooms: Really nice. Well appointed. Older TV and channels limited, but we weren't there to watch TV. Our room was spotless and remained spotless the entire time. We were in 402 oceanfront.

Drinks: Average and tastes were inconsistent. Best bet is to ask for drinks with premium liquors. By the way, they had plenty of good brands.

Service: Secrets Crown Jewel. The service was spectacular, from room service to poolside and in the restaurants to the concierge.

Entertainment (or lack of it): Be aware, this is Secrets, not Now or Dreams. It's not a party atmosphere. With that said, they could amp up their entertainment level. This is the first Secrets that we felt we needed to get out of the resort during our week for some diversion. They do host a bar crawl to Cabo, which we did not attend, but the bus didn't leave the resort until almost 10 PM. Funny thing is, I still remember Speedie and Akon from the entertainment staff at Secrets Royal Beach from last year, but for the life of me, I don't know the names of the entertainment staff at Marquis from 2 weeks ago.

Room Tip: Don't expect an upgrade, book the room you want. Go higher (4th or 5th floor) for better view.
7 Thank Wilfred B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

"Oh no. It must be another reviewer that can't be pleased no matter what." I know that might be your first impression when first reading this, but let me assure you that this isn't the case. To be candid, I believe (and others would agree) that I'm actually the opposite of that "kind" of person. That being said - I do hold true to my title. I will most definitely be back to Cabo, but will NOT be staying at Secrets again.

Here's why:

I realize that Secrets has "taken over" what used to be another hotel. The layout of the hotel is confusing. There are two "wings" of the hotel - the left and right. Because of the "arch" in the middle, unless you're on the 5th floor, you cannot cross over too the rooms on the other side without going to the lobby first. Being on the 3rd floor, you had to make sure you only took the "right" or "left" elevator, which can definitely be confusing at times ... and annoying. I realize that Secrets couldn't really do anything about the existing structure, but I made the mistake several times, and ended up stuck in the hot and sticky elevator more than I wanted to be. Also, the elevator buttons on 3rd floor didn't work when you wanted to go down. We always had to push the "up" button because the "down" one didn't light up and you weren't sure if you'd just end up just waiting there indefinitely. Just small details that tell you that the property is a little dated and is in some need of TLC. You can only access the spa/fitness center fron one side.

What was probably the most glaring about our stay were the black flies. And i mean there were TONS of them. I was shocked because no one had mentioned them in the reviews previously. When we arrived, they said there was "nothing they could do about them, and that it was always like this a couple days after it rained." They were around when we were by the pool, at the bar, in the lobby, INSIDE of the restaurants. The only place we could go to escape them were our own rooms. I am not exaggerating when I say that I chose to do room service more than I would have otherwise done for this reason alone - to escape from the flies. I'm not even someone who normally minds being "one" with nature, and a bug or two. I'm not screamish when it comes to insects. There were a ton of moths hanging around the walls of the hotel at night...and they didn't really bug be me one bit. It really diminished sitting by the pool when you'd be surrounded by 15 flies trying to attack you regardless of whether you had food or not (but worse when you had food or a drink). The property really needs to be sprayed and some action HAS to be done to manage this. The first night, we spent half our meal swatting flies away from our food, which left a really bad taste in our mouths. Also, I know it happens sometimes when flies land on things we eat. But actually seeing it happen definitely made me lose my appetite. It was an unreal sight when I looked around at our entire party of four covering our drinks with one hand, and swatting the flies away with the other at our evening meal instead of having conversation. Keep in mind that the air conditioning strength varies, so if you sweat easily, you may want to consider a different property. After spending all day in the sun, I wanted to eat in a restaurant where I wasn't beading sweat, or purposely not drinking soup due to the lack of a functioning air conditioner. Some nights were better than others, and the French restaurant's worked MUCH better than the buffet restaurant. If you are visiting this property, keep in mind that you have to walk through the outside area of the buffet restaurant to get to the French restaurant. I had to ask where it was, as it's not visible at first glance, nor is it intuitive to get there.

The saving grace of this resort is the service, hands down. Really, these workers work their behinds off to make your stay enjoyable and cater to your every need. I asked a poolside waiter whether I could bring my coffee from the coffeeshop over by the pool. He said, of course, he'd get it for me. I was intrigued by the iguana sitting on a rock by the pool. Mauricio (I think this was his name) got me a piece of lettuce to feed it. Just really thoughtful.

Housekeeping was a little inconsistent. They didn't clean our room, nor did they do the turndown service one day, and another day they knocked on our door as early as 8am to clean the room. Other than that, nothing really stood out for us there and we did tip.

I read so many reviews rave about the coffee, fruit and sweet breads in your "magic box" every morning. I was excited about the notion of having access to fresh fruit and coffee first thing in the morning...but after tasting it the first morning, I actually called to have them stop sending it (hate the idea of wasting food), which they still continued sending. The coffee was not good, and the fruit was extremely bland. I live in a part of the country where we have access to nice fresh fruit all year long, so maybe that's my problem...but it tasted like water. However, my father-in-law also joked about the same thing, so I know it wasn't just me. But, if you find the coffee undrinkable as I did, try the lattes. They were excellent. :)

Regarding check-in: After my trip was already booked, I ended up booking an extra night on the front end last minute. I booked an ocean-front room for the majority of the trip, and then an ocean-view room for the 1st night. When we checked in, the receptionist tried putting us in an ocean-view room for the entire vacation. When I mentioned I had booked 2 separate class rooms, she then told me that we could change rooms to the ocean-view room in the morning. If the hotel was at full-occupancy, or near-full, I would have not batted an eye at this. However, when we stayed, it was very low season. The hotel could not have been more than 20% occupancy (if I had to guess, I would have said more to 15% or so). It was low season. Would it really have been that much of a stretch for them just to let us stay in the ocean-front room the first night, so we didn't have to re-pack our first night, and scramble around switching rooms at 10am the next morning? We didn't say anything, and just did as she suggested. But my impression of the check-in process would have definitely been more positive had she not nickeled and dimed us. It's not costing the resort anything extra. Wifi is also $15 a day, or $40 for 4 nights if you need it. There is also a business center if you just want to do some quick email checking.

This is a true couples resort. Many honeymooners, anniversaries, etc. I saw a group of bachlorette girls and wondered if they did their research before booking this resort. They looked disappointed there wasn't more going on. It's true, there is not much to do at night currently (I read some reviews that they're turing that around so this may change). They'll show a movie, and some people will be mingling at the bar. But it's certainly not a "party and try to hook up" type place. Those places are more in Cabo San Lucus. Or so I'm told.

Now moving on to the good:

Everything said about the beach is true. It's gorgeous, but no swimming right in front of the hotel. I have no complaints, as I knew this going in. We did walk to the little "cove" in front of the Hilton and waded in the water there, still very cautiously. It's a nice walk, and the beach is gorgeous. You'll see some locals trying to sell you sarongs and silver jewelry, but they're nice and not pushy.

The food at the resort was very good. I would highly recommend the French restaurant. I've dined at many top restaurants in the US, and I was not disappointed. The "house" cabernet is also very good. No complaints here. Some of the wines I've had at other inclusives were barely drinkable - the one Secrets served during our trip was a Chilean Cabernet and great. The breakfast buffet is pretty much the same stuff every morning - selection is slim. I'm not a huge breakfast eater, so it was always enough for me, but the rest of my party ordered off the menu and claimed the food was much better than the buffet food. My husband had the pancakes and said they were definitely restaurant quality.

Also, since I didn't see anyone else post transportation information from the airport, I thought I'd include it. Be prepared to either book your transportation in advance - about $30-$35/pp round trip in a shared van which will make multiple stops, or otherwise, a taxi from the airport is $70 to the hotel, and then around $40 from the hotel to the airport. Depending on how many are in your party, it can also make sense to book a car, which I paid $115 for, round trip. Feel free to message me if you need the name, I would highly recommend them. It was about 20 minutes each way.

I'll end with this: If you've already booked your future stay at Secrets and you're looking for positive "affirmation" reviews, I apologize that I couldn't give one. I would have loved to, because I too, enjoy the same raving reviews that make me feel better and more excited about my booking. And really, you will probably have a great time, and as long as you don't have the fly problem we had, enjoy the property immensely. I will be honest and say that my expectations were very high going in; had they had been better calibrated, perhaps I would not have ended up so disappointed. This was my FIRST trip to Cabo, or the Pacific side of Mexico. Previously, I have only traveled to the Gulf side (half dozen times) and if I were to compare similar "class" hotels, Secrets Marquis can't shine the shoes of "The Royal", "Moon Palace", "Le Blanc Spa", or "Aventura Spa Palace" in the Playa Del Carmen/Cancun area. If you have NOT booked your trip yet, and you've never been to that side, I would recommend those in a heart beat, especially if you're geographically closer. I am rather new to the West coast and definitely see why people choose Cabo versus the Gulf side since the flights are way easier and direct. But if the Gulf side of Mexico is a viable option, I'd look into those instead, and you can swim in the ocean there. The all-inclusives I just listed are out of this world and 5x better (and a way better value for the price paid). Much more luxurious, wider choices of dining options, entertainment, and same great service. In the end, I'm thinking this may be the true disconnect, and what set my standards so high. You have to NOT compare Secrets to the resorts on the Gulf side of the same class, and you will most likely end up pleased. My husband, mother-in-law, and father-in-law, who I took this trip with, all felt the same exact way and none of us are the "hard to please" type. If you haven't booked your trip, I'd highly recommend you stay elsewhere. I will definitely try a different resort my next trip to Cabo. Feel free to message me if you need any more details.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank ellenphant
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just returned from a girls’ weekend at Secrets Marquis. I should preface this resort by saying that we were only there 2 nights, so it’s possible that we didn’t have the full experience. I usually stay at a resort for 1-2 weeks, so it’s hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison. That being said, this is a tough review for me to write because the resort does a lot of things right but we observed enough minor issues that became hard to overlook. It was the first time my girlfriends stayed at an all-inclusive and they loved it; but I’ve been to others (including Secrets Capri and Secrets Royal Beach) and was a bit disappointed. By no means was the weekend ruined, we had a great time, but there were a few things worth mentioning… good and bad. Sorry in advance for the long review – I just wanted to include details that I had been looking for in other reviews.

Check in/check out: Overall very smooth and the staff was very welcoming. Once we got the glass of bubbly, we knew the vacation had begun! The lobby is an open-air concept, which is stunning when it is sunny but we arrived when it was very windy. Needless to say, completing the forms was a challenge. It was fine but I wonder why they don’t have indoor rooms available for inclement weather days? I had emailed the concierge a week prior to our arrival to confirm our reservation and request 2 upper level rooms close to each other. When we arrived they had notes about this email and explained that the 5th floor rooms available were far apart but they could put us in 4th floor rooms close together. Perfect, except when we got to the 4th floor, it was hard to imagine that the rooms could be any further apart. Oh well.

Rooms: Very spacious with amazing views. As another reviewer remarked, it’s hard to believe that there is a bad room in the resort – everything had a view of the ocean. Prior to arrival, I was trying to figure out the difference between an ocean view and an ocean front room. I am still not certain, but I think the ocean front rooms are at the further ends of the resort and have unobstructed ocean views. In contrast, the ocean view rooms have a good view of the ocean but with the pool and other buildings in front. From both rooms, you can clearly hear the waves crashing, even with the doors closed. The room was very clean and comfortable. I had read that the rooms have sunscreen, which ours did not have. So be prepared or spend ~$20 at the sundry shop. There is no wired internet, only wireless available for a charge. They comp’d our internet, however, because the safe did not work. While I think that the resort is safe and I do trust everyone to a certain extent, not having a working safe would have been a big deal if we couldn’t put valuables in our other companions’ room (it was just too bad that it was so far away). They explained that someone would fix it the next day, which didn’t happen. We didn’t pursue it, however, because we were leaving the day after. When we checked in, the room was also missing: a working hair dryer, a functional remote (it took them 2 tries to fix this), chips/snacks and coffee creamer. The next day, after tipping and a few phone calls, these issues were fixed.

Food/drinks: This was as expected, very good. We had a great meal at the French place the first night – definitely gourmet with stellar service. There is only one restaurant available for breakfast and offers a buffet and a la cart menu. We did the buffet both days, which was limited but satisfying. In the room, they also have the “Secrets Box,” which they use to leave you bread, coffee and fruit in the morning. This was a wonderful service since you were able to have coffee and a snack while getting ready. For lunch, they provided us with a specialty prepared ceviche sampling by the pool. One member of our group doesn’t care for ceviche and they noticed she wasn’t eating and asked what she’d like instead. Even though it wasn’t on the menu, they prepared a special shrimp dish for her. This was truly incredible service. On the second night, we had dinner at the Italian/Mediterranean place – no complaints. There was a pretty good selection of the typical resort-type drinks and we did our best to try all of them.

Beach/pool: Prior to arriving, I had read that there were no lounge chairs on the beach or beach service. This is true, but not the atrocity that I thought it would be. As many other reviewers have noted, you can’t swim in the ocean. There are huge beautiful waves and currents, which are wonderful to admire from afar. The infinity pools are close enough to the beach so that it almost feels like you’re in the ocean but without the seaweed, sand and critters. Usually I’m a “beach person” but I was very happy in the pool this time. I knew there wouldn’t be a swim up bar, which was ok with me since I’ve observed people camp out at those all day and never take restroom breaks. In lieu of a swim-up bar, however, they have underwater stools that face the ocean and drink service – great alternative combination. Lots of loungers and umbrellas, no one plays the towel game here. Speaking of towels, they are also plentiful and, like other Secrets’ resorts, you don’t need a towel card. Huge thanks to Adalberto for going out of his way to take such great care of us -- exemplary!!

Entertainment: Like other Secrets’ resorts, this is a low-key place. There are a couple activities during the day and music or something similar at night until ~11pm. We knew this before booking and were perfectly content to spend our time relaxing. If you’re interested in partying, loud music or lots of group activities, this is not the resort for you.

Other: I’m an advocate for tipping at resorts and the staff here is no exception. They work incredibly hard for long hours to make our vacations perfect. Although advertised as including tips, I feel that it is important to thank these individuals for their service. So, this being said, we had been tipping throughout our stay. I was surprised, however, when on the second night, there was a tip jar on the counter of the second-floor bar. After the bar tended slide our drinks to us, he then slide this jar in front of the drinks. I hadn’t seen anything like this at any other resort.

Overall, we had a good stay but I had hoped for a bit more. I’d probably be willing to give this resort another chance though, since we have had such great experiences at other Secrets resorts (maybe it was just an off weekend).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank KatG07
Spring, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Secrets is nice but there is no night life at all, when I stay at a all inclusive I don't want to have to leave the resort, all I could come up with was strange.I kinda felt like a guest n someones home and I don't mean that in a good way. The rooms are lovely, the waitstaff is the best but I have stayed at alot of all-inclusive but this one is alittle to laid back for my taste, there is no swim up bar, the restaurants and food choices are limited and the restaurants are not air-condition so we ended up ordering from room service to eat in our room.Not as nice as some of the Secrets I have stayed at, love Cabo but won't be returning to Secrets.

3 Thank Happy2133
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This is our second trip in 4 months to secrets, can not say enough about how great everybody is fron juan one of the managers around the pool area to carlos in the main restaurant ,The web site has to be updated to reflect no minibar in the rooms,but everthing else was great,I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view there is no bad room
2 Thank Jacque H
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

- Hotel itself: very nice, calm, no kids allowed which makes it even better, installations are modern, rooms are clean and comfortable.
- Staff: surprisingly very good and very professional. Help for anything, always available but discrete. Won't ask for tips.
- Food: very very good for an all inclusive. I was expecting more from the "gourmet" restaurant, but it was still very good. Go for the ceviches! Cocktails by the pool were okay, but with enough alcohol to enjoy them
- Location: far from the cities which is fine if you look for something calm and quiet. You have to walk a bit to be able to enjoy the sea but it's a nice walk (10 min top).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mathiasroyer
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

You can't go wrong at Secrets. Rooms are beautiful and very well appointed with decor and ammenities. The service was stellar. And the food was outstanding. There are only a few restaurants to choose from. However, we had something different every meal and everything was very good. We rate the food here better than any all-inclusive at which we've stayed. The pools are beautiful and spacious. We never had trouble finding chairs, etc. Service at the pool was very good as well. This is an adults only resort and there appeared to a lot of honeymoon couples. However, there were some more mature couples like ourselves. We had an outstanding time and are considering Secrets for a Christmas trip.

We just have one comment that falls under the category of an opportunity. The beds are as hard as a rock. I'm sure that all of the bedding was very fine quality and it was luxuious. Just be prepared for this.

Room Tip: Get the junior suite if you can. The extra space is well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,108 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,995 reviews
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!