“Not what they advertize”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed January 26, 2012

The Hotel itself architecturally is very beautiful. However the location is too closed to the noisy Highway. You will hear the traffic from all rooms, with the exceptions if you stay in a villa below!The advertisement that the Hotel is child free is not true! We had 8 children arrive after our 4th day! There is a sign on the desk of the check in area, that they have to honor these reservations when they were made before the change was made! However I feel that sign should have also been placed on the advertisement in the New Times last December when I discovered that this Hotel is now child-free!! The food in the Restaurants with the exception of the French Restaurant is not eatable. The drinks are not drinkable and the Breakfast of Waffles, if you order that, is cardboard! We checked out!! Alice Pado, Chicago

8  Thank Sibel59
Write a ReviewReviews (2,084)

Reviewed January 26, 2012

This is the nicest Hotel we have stayed in. Everything was spotless. The food was wonderful. The Staff in all areas were absolutely superb. They were so kind, attentive and very very pleasant people to be spending 10 days with. From the Bar staff, dining staff, cleaning ladies to security, well it was well worth the trip. So thank you Secrets Marquis Los Cabos, see you next January

Room Tip: Probably get a Junior Suite Ocean View above 3rd floor, much nicer views
3  Thank mangataipo
Reviewed January 8, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Secrets Marquis. The property really is beautiful -- gorgeous rooms, common areas and views. Service was impeccable all around -- housekeeping, bellmen, concierge, waitstaff, etc. There isn't a ton "to do" there if you're looking for entertainment, but we were really happy to soak in the sun and views and read by the pool all day. The gym is very nice, with lots of space, and plenty of good quality equipment. We were there from Jan 2-7 and occupancy was very low. I'm pretty sure there were many more staff members than guests on property.

The resort definitely has room to improve in the dining category. The food was never bad, but it wasn't often very great either. The wine available with the all-inclusive rate was also somewhat lackluster. There were only 2 restaurants open for lunch and 2 for dinner, so if you're there for a longer stay, it can get a bit old as the menus aren't very extensive.

My only complaint with the room is the glass partial door leading to the toilette. The entire bathroom is open to the bedroom, so it offers very little privacy. We didn't mind too much, but for a new couple it could be a little awkward.

In general, I'm happy we chose this resort because we got a good deal through Luxury Link. If I'd paid full price I think the food would have been a bit more of a let down. All in all, we had a really great stay, and thank the staff for their gracious hospitality!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to have a better view.
17  Thank trvlbugger529
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed with our friends and had a spectacular time! The hotel is absolutely stunning, the service impeccable and the views/location breathtaking. Seriously. This was a last-minute trip and truly one of the best we've taken. Even though the weather was perfect - about 75 degrees - the hotel was only at 8% occupancy. Thus the reason my photos looked staged. They are not. I really felt like a movie star - kinda surreal. The rooms were fabulous and the evening turn down with the chocolates and robes were a special treat. I mean, they cleaned the rooms twice a day! We had the junior suites on the 5th floor which I am told are the best because of the view. Here's a link to the sunrise I took from our balcony: http://bit.ly/yDkPJ0

The food was outstanding though the service was perhaps a bit slow since we were often the only ones dining, but it was still excellent service. I think perhaps since there were so few people, they had few people working. Makes sense. But, honestly, I am not complaining. This is truly a resort. And the drinks were excellent - high quality. I know this review may seem too good to be true, but honestly, I'm not affiliated in any way to this organization - I just absolutely loved this location, the service, the art, the food - everything. I highly recommend this location. It was recommended to us and I'm recommending it to you. Oh, and we also did the spa treatments which were fabulous! I felt like royalty - no kidding. We'll be back! I can't imagine a better experience. Unlike others, we did have ironing boards and hair dryers - it was absolutely perfect, well, spectacular!

Room Tip: The 5th floor was recommended here on trip advisor and I agree - they were awesome. No complaints wh...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank PubRelGal
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We stayed at the Marquis in early November courtesy of my husband's company. I can't really comment on value for money... Overall we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Not sure I would go back for more than 2-3 days as there isn't much to do unless you take a taxi into the city or to the beach.

Good
- big spacious room with a large jacuzzi tub
- lovely spacious balcony - nice to wake up to the sounds of the ocean and have breakfast treats on the balcony
- very clean
- many, many pools and the infinity is beautiful to just sit and look into the ocean
- good service and decent food at the pool - loved the mango daquiri. The servers were very attentive helping set up the lounge chairs and umbrellas
- very relaxing - the hotel was not very crowded and there isn't much to do so you can easily sit by the pool through the day and relax
- Gym is pretty good - a lot of equipment and not very crowded

Average/Could use improvement
- Would have preferred a king size bed, but seems like many of the Ocean Views had doubles - we had them put the doubles together but it's not very comfortable for a couple
- hot tub was not heated - even though it was very warm outside, a hot tub should be hot
- breakfast buffet was lower than average for the cost
- spa seemed nice but was ridiculously expensive
- cannot swim right outside the hotel. you can walk down the beach to the Hilton and swim there in a small cove
- service is a bit slow but I guess they figure you are on vacation and in for a leisurely lunch

Other activities:
- We LOVED our Kayaking trip to the Arch. The company that organized the trip was top notch and it is one of the best activities we have experienced. Kayak out to the Arch, take some photos, Kayak half way back and snorkel for about an hour. Then Kayak back - fun and beautiful snorkeling
- We went into Cabo and San Jose - enjoyed dinner both nights and topped off dessert with Mexican Coffee

Room Tip: Take a higher floor and ocean facing or go for one of the casitas - nice and private!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank chicago009
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Just came back from a 7 day vacation with our entire family which included our adult aged children. First the good - The property is gorgeous with incredible views from all the pools and most of the rooms. The rooms are very nice. We had regular rooms for our children and a casita for my wife and I. The rooms had all the usual amenities you would expect at a top resort. The staff was very attentive and truly cared about making sure everything was up to par. While at the pool, the service to get drinks and food was usually very quick. Now for the bad and this is why I could only give this resort an average rating despite all the good qualities. There is a top notch restaurant for dinner which seats only 25 people. This was as advertised and was a great dining experience with excellent food. However, besides this restaurant, there was only one other restaurant and when we ate there we had poor service and the food was below par. The experience was bad enough that we decided not to have dinner again at the resort despite the fact that it was all inclusive and dinner would have been free in the resort. We understand that 3 new restaurants are supposed to open up in the future and they are sorely needed. I would think twice about coming here for the food until those restaurants are open. When we arrived, there were very few people staying at the resort. We were told on several occasions that certain advertised amenities were not available due to low occupancy. For example, no hot tubs were heated in the entire resort! Only 1 pool was heated as well. When we looked for the buffet, we were told there was no buffet set up because there were not enough people. Nightly entertainment was almost nonexistent. There was the same singer who sang a few nights at one of the open areas where you could order drinks but that was about it. As for the rooms, as stated above, they were nice. However, there were a few issues that some people might not like. First, the mini-bar was advertised as having a wide selection of beverages and snacks. The beverage selection was fine. However, each day there would be 1 candy bar and 1 jar of nuts put in the room and these were the only snacks. On the first day. I requested that they put a few extra candy bars in our room each day but each day this request was ignored until I called and reminded them. Also, the T.V.'s were very small (maybe 20 inches), probably 10 years old before flat screens came out, and it was difficult to get a movie on them. A resort of this caliber should have flat screen T.V.'s in every room but at least in the casitas which had a very expensive nightly rate. So, the good news is that with some fairly minor changes, this could be the 5 star type of resort it is advertised as. However, for now, the lack of restaurants, no heated hot tubs and other issues bring it down a notch.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
21  Thank phila48
Reviewed December 18, 2011

My husband and I traveled to Secret Marquis last week for 5 nights. I found the hotel last minute as I was looking for an adults only all inclusive in Cabo. We booked through Expedia and I thought got a pretty good deal. Here are some highlights/areas of improvement:
-Rooms: we booked the standard ocean view room which was great. We were on the 5th floor (top floor) which had an amazing full view of the ocean. The beds were very comfortable and the room was immaculately clean with great maid service. We did have a few issues with the maintenance of the room. We had a strange noise coming from the bathroom the first night, the maintenance was very prompt to come fix it. But after that the air conditioning did not work properly (worked on and off) throughout the trip. We had maintenance come try to fix it 2 times but it never quite worked right. This was ok because it was not overly hot and we had the window open most of the trip, and I am sure if we had wanted to move rooms they would have accommodated us.
Pools: The 2 infiniti pools were gorgeous but not heated. The main pool was heated and perfect!
Grounds: Beautiful!
Service: Overall the service was awesome. The hotel had very low occupancy so we had pretty much personalized service the entire trip. No complaints here.
Food: The food overall was great. There were only 2 restaurants open for dinner so far, one which was a tasting menu that didn't change while we were there, but the food was very good so we were pleased. Excellent all inclusive selection. The only thing we found really wasn't included were bottles of wine. If you are picky about wine, then you may need to pay a little extra to get what you want, but the house red and white were fine for us. Tip: ask for the mexican coffee. It's included, delicious and a show to make it which is really entertaining.
Other info: Since the hotel changed to Secrets only a month before we went, I expected there to be some kinks. There really weren't many. One thing that was strange was a child, about 5, was staying on the property even though it is supposed to be adults only. I assume this was because the hotel just switched over to adults only. I have absolutely nothing against kids, and the child was very well behaved, but if a property is advertised as adults only it really should be as advertised: adults only.
Overall, I would rate Secrets Marquis 4.5/5 starts. It is a beautiful hotel with great amenities and is a great addition to Cabo.

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th or 5th floor if you are getting a standard ocean view room-these have better ocean v...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple