“Would Stay Here Again!”

Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Forest Lake, MN
“Would Stay Here Again!”
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We picked the Royal Solaris for our January destination wedding. From MN, we paid a little less than $1,000 for air, hotel, food & drink from Jan. 16th to the 23rd.
We arrived in Cabo at 10:30am, our hotel shuttle was waiting for us. When we arrived at the hotel, Freddy checked us in. My mother in law and her friend were also with us. They got their room first, ours wasn't ready. We were trying to check in 4 hours early. They stored our luggage while we checked the place out. First things first, we sat down to eat and had a great buffet meal right next to the beach. We checked in our room an hour later around noon.

We had a beautiful room, #628. The view was amazing. The room was clean and made up just like on a cruise ship. We even got robes & slippers. I'm not sure if that was a wedding deal or not. It was still very nice. The bed was firm, BUT we've traveled all around the whole country of Mexico and that is VERY typical for the beds there, especially if you are near the ocean.

The meals were great. Yes you do have to call at 9am to get a reservation at the two Al A Carte places, Marco Polo & Panchos, BUT if you forget or sleep in, just go there at night, they always leave a few tables open, it's not that big of a deal. For a week there, 7 whole days of three+ meals a day, the 4 of us never got tired of eating. There were plenty of options all day, everyday. It wasn't "great" food, but trust me, there are plenty of worse places and things to eat in Mexico. It was very similar to Old Country Buffet, or and normal sit down restaurant like Chilis, Outback, ect. Needless to say, pretty good!

We saw whales every morning from our room, while we drank our coffee on the balcony. YES you NEED to get your towels out on a chair at 6am. We needed 4 together everyday, so that was an early riser deal. The days we only needed two, my husband and I were able to fit in here and there or just lay on the beach. There are plenty of chairs, it's just that people are up bright and early to claim their spot in the sun for the day.

We weren't bothered about the time shares, but we were asked to fill out a form when we checked in, no big deal at all. The staff is always there to help you or direct you to where you can go or what you can do. The shows at night were pretty good. Ya a little high school like, but still, very good. The entertainment staff does a great job. We saw two of the shows, and like both of them. Besides, it's an hour and a half, what else are you going to do?

Not a ton to do at night. Not a party type place. Not spring break like, which was great for us. You could always walk to town or take a cab. Los Cabos is about a 15 minute walk or $5 cab ride. There are some "clubs" there, or go into Cabo San Lucas too. There is a sports bar there at the resort. It's always empty, but the bartender will put on anything you want to watch and make you any drink you want. The lobby bar is also a very nice place to hang out. Again, they were able to let us watch the Vikings game with all the other football fans. There was a dance floor and DJ 3 nights we were there, but by 10pm, we were pretty beat. The sun and drinks take a lot out of you. As for the drinks, they were fine, as long as you're not picky. We had Sol & Indio beer, along with Miami Vice's all week. I never heard anyone complain, and they are always walking around to get you anything you want. People say they water everything down, well trust me, everyday there were a few pretty drunk people there to prove that you can still get drunk if that's what your intentions are. SO don't you worry.

There is a whole play area for kids. Playground, water slides, pools. I don't see why this wouldn't work for families. We stayed away from them, but still, no big deal. As for adults, there is an adults only pool, yoga classes, always something going on. There were vendors on the beach, but if you said no, they went away, and were never mean. We ended up buying a few things from them. Most of the time though, the guards keep them behind the rope on the beach so they won't bother you.

One of the best parts were the massages on the beach. The pink tents charged $30 for an hour. My husband and I went a few times, and just loved them, very relaxing and nice. The white tents are the "spa" people from the resort, and they are $45 an hour or $55 an hour, and it's the same darn thing.

Our wedding was absolutely beautiful! Elsy, Niza, our videographer & photographer Yuri did a fantastic job. We couldn't have asked for anything better! It was small & quiet, other than the 200 fans you get from the hotel when you're getting married on the beach. We didn't have a band or reception, but the DJ played a few songs for us that night and everyone cleared the dance floor. It was great. We were definitely treated like stars!

I would suggest this place to anyone. Is it a total of 5 stars, I'd say so. It's not a Dreams or Sandals, or a cruise, but if you're looking for something that has a great value for your price, this is the place. It didn't bother us that you couldn't swim there. My husband went in a few times, and body surfed on a calm day, but we wouldn't recommend swimming. It's black flag everyday. We plan on going back, in a few years after we travel to more places around the world.

Thank you very much Royal Solaris Los Cabos for a GREAT vacation and WONDERFUL wedding of our dreams!!!

Derek & Melissa Breen
MN, USA

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MerlynDalamar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,337)
Brentwood, CA
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Wouldn"t stay again, had 2 fair dinners out of 5. Room was awful, no view, plus the first room they gave us was a smoking room. We specified No smoking King. They ended up giving us a room with 2 beds, but it was no smoking.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
joyarino
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We stayed at Club Solaris for our anniversary thanks my father who is member. It was great. We mentioned that it was our anniversary when making the reservation and they had champagne and a wonderful chocolate dessert waiting in our room upon arrival.
For the most part the food was terrific. Members get special dinner events that we did participate in but the Marco Polo and Panchos were both really good both times we ate there.
The staff is friendly, Tip even though they say its not required. This is a smaller resort and you will probably get the same waiter more than once.

We only had a couple of real complaints.
1. The room service food was definately lacking the quality of the restaurants.
2. We had a great room location with a nice view but the new Presidential suites were the next rooms down and they were showing them to potential upgrade buyers fairly early in the morning.
3.The activites crew was fun but on a few occasions when we played tequilla volleyball (the last activity of the day) they hurried it along and poured huge shots because they had to host the late night club tours and wanted to get going.

Tips:
If you plan to take full advantage of all inclusive drinking bring or buy (at Mega) a larger insulated mug to use at the pool. I dont like the idea of using plastic cups all day anyway but they are also pretty small. Also its nice to have an ice cold drink. We noticed early on who was a professional drinker at CS because they all had their own cups.

If your on a budget the Massage tents on the beach are a good bet. They do negotiate on price and its a nice break from the sun at the pool in the afternoon. You may not get a great deep tissue massage but the sweedish style is relaxing!

We booked a fishing trip on a panga boat at the poolside activities palapa. The man who worked there was also the SCUBA instructor. He was low pressure and laid back and that particular trip desk isnt as busy and the lobby one so we didnt have to wait. He hooked us up with a great deal and we caught a lot more fish than those who booked fancy bigger boats and yachts. (Pangas are basic and dont have bathrooms but cheaper and are a good bet for people who really want to fish.) The hotel staff cut and wrapped the Marlin and Dorado and stored in a freezer until our departure. We purchased a cooler at Mega and checked it on the flight easily. It was nice to enjoy our fish all summer long.
Overall a great trip, we will definately go back!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joyarino
Southern Alberta
Reviewed February 12, 2010

My husband found an amazing deal for 7 nights all inclusive and air fare for the Royal Solaris through west jet. We read some of the reviews and were a little nervous about the bad ones, but very excited about the good ones. We decided to take the bad ones with a grain of salt and go ahead with our trip. Thank goodness we did!! We all had a great vacation. The food was fantastic, breakfast was the best!! Marco Polo's (the italian restaurant) was tricky to get a reservation for a larger group (we had 6 people), so we never did end up eating there. Panchos was disappointing the night we went for dinner. The enchiladas were very bland. However, one member of our party had a nut allergy, and the staff were EXTREMELY accomadating to go over the menu with him and find anything that didn't have any nut products. We did go to Panchos for their buffet night, and it was AMAZING!! best buffet dinner we had. The shows were pretty good, I recommend the mexicano night, and the magic show had some good humour. My daughter and husband went to the evolution of dance shows, and also the cinema show and they said they were great. The boys vs girls night is long and not for younger eyes. The pools were really nice, very clean and lots of room. We never had a problem finding lounge chairs at the pool or on the beach. Near the pool is a cart with some painted plates and also the chance for you to paint your own things. My daughter painted a turtle, and the lady took it home and repainted the black lines and added the gloss to it. It was a great way for her to make her own souvenir. Also, I don't feel it was very expensive, only $15. I did take advantage of the ladies offering massages on the beach, through the advice on here I went to the pink tent and it was great! Well worth the $30 for an hour!! The historic San Jose del Cabo is a bit of a walk, they say 10 minutes, I would guess more around 20 or 30, depending on children and your own walking pace. It is well worth the trek though. Great restaurants and lots of shopping. Sometimes you'll find better deals on things then what is offered on the beach outside the resort. The rooms were very nice. You could smell how clean they were when you walked in. I was a little disappointed that even though we tipped the maids every day we had them clean, there was no towel art done on the beds. The beds were firm, maybe a little too hard, but ok. However, the pillows were brutal. Extremely hard. If you like a softer pillow, take one with you. We got a crib there for our 1yr old, but also took our playpen. The crib is fairly small, after the first night we just opened up the playpen and used that. It was very cute though, they had princess bedding that they used to make up the bed. It was a very nice touch. All in all, this was a great resort and we had a fantastic stay. The time share people didn't bother us at all for the first few days, and then only once were we asked. After we said no and that we were not interested at this time, we did not notice any difference in the way we were treated. I highly reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank B-and-J31
Alberta
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Just got back and cant wait to go back. The service is awesome! Everyone is so friendly and always cleaning! There was a show every night so there was always something to do. I traveled with my boyfriend and my brother and his family of two little kids 1 and 6, the kids club was awesome for the 6 year old she went almost every day.
The pool is really nice to just lay around and do nothing but go early in the morning to hold some beach chairs it does fill up! The beach is really close and we spent a couple days just sitting out there and playing in the sand. We bought a boogie board to body surf but i wouldnt recomend little kids going in the water the waves got really big and the undertow is very stong but there was a few other days that it wasnt to bad. A couple of the days we saw dolfins and whales passing our hotel it was so neat they were so close we put our heads in the water and we actully heard them in the water. Manta rays are always along the shore so beware.
Cabo San lucas is about a 30min shuttle ride from the hotel and it is 15$ a person that isnt bad at all bec the taxies are more expensive. The shuttle place is right across the street so you wont miss it. Cabo was a fun place to go, our first time we went on a booze cruise
it was 45$ and included snorkel, lunch and all our alcohol was free. it was fun! the entertainment was great too! the next time we went to cabo my boyfriend and i went swimming with the dolfins it was unreal 165$ each for 50min but we did everything with them, swam, fed and played, it was worth every penny. After we took just a water taxie from the marina where the shuttle drops u off and that was 10$ and it was 45min and he took us to the arch and fed the beautifull fish and to the sea lions i could almost touch them it was great! and it is easy to book a water taxi they will ask u right when u walk in the marina . Good shopping there are lots of great restaurants and drink specials.
San jose is only a 15min walk away from the solaris and its the historic town and its a must see, its fun to barter there too. On the beach in front of the hotel there are vendors to where u can barter to.
Drinks at the hotel were unreal, try everyone at least once! Have a Sangrea for me ! :)

If u have any questions just send me a message ill be more than happy to help!

• Stayed February 2010
3 Thank AlbertaBeachgirl18
Reno, NV USA
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Could have so much better. This was our only time that we were glad to leave Cabo and return home. We were hounded by membership ownership sales people. I am so sad to give a negative report.. I would hope this does not continue, but have heard from others, that this is the norm.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Fox Creek, Alberta
Reviewed February 9, 2010

January 23/10-February 6/10- Flew with WestJet- had a great flight both ways!
Family of 4- me and hubby both 35, kids 8 and 11.
Arrival- smooth-no hassels- our room was great, overlooking kiddie pool- had a chance to upgrade to partial ocean view with the biggest balcony ever for extra $20.00/night- did it- awesome.
Room- huge balcony, big bathroom, clean, 3 beds-one a murphy- stocked fridge everyday. By far the cleanest rooms we ever stayed in- walked in on the maid one day- she had all the beds pulled away from the walls, cleaning everything. By far the best cleaned hotel rooms. Beds were a little hard- but never had problems sleeping! Did I mention our HUGE balcony- watched whales cross the Sea of Cortez a couplel of mornings from our balcony!
Staff-seriously, the best- they treated our family like gold! We were there 2 weeks and I can't say enough! We have eaten at pricey restaurants and the service we got here was second to none! If anyone tells you somthing different- then there is somthing wrong with them and not the staff. I promise you! You get what you give. My kids were so sad to leave- they had hugs for the entertainment team-Kaylee, Amber, Luis.., the waiters-Jorge, Marianne, the omelet lady-Lucy-Everyone!
Pools-okay, sorry but if I was int he pool and wasn't cold- it was not a cold pool! It feels cold when your body temperature is 25-27 degrees celcius because it was so warm-but the temp of the pool was perfect-you get in and it was great- no idea about hte adults pool so can't coment.
Food- If you starve, then you deserve to starve. Seriously, enough said.
As a family we had a blast, we had fun as a couple- the pool activities were fun, the kids club was fun, everything was and we are definitly going back next year and taking more family with us!
We met great people from the States and Canada! Had fun with them in the lobby bar- dancing to live music and DJ's- and in San Jose Del Cabo- what a beautiful little city!
Excursions- Went on the Zipline tours with Cabo Adventures- my little girl8 and boy 11 did the rappeling, and rock climbing the staff was great with them! Would do it agian in a heart beat! Did the Pirate ship- lots of fun- the snorkeling was great- ended up meeting some peopple from Toronto that took us to Divorce and Lovers beach after the pirate ship-then glass bottom boat to their resort for supper! Had a blast!
Took the public bus to Cabo a few times- easy, convenient and cheap! Take the bus instead of the taxis and save yourself a ton of money! The stop is across from McDonalds at the Mega Mart. Never waited more then 10minutes for the bus.
We walked form the Royla Solaris beach all the way to Palmilla Beach- it took 2 hours including a stop at Zippers for lunch and a beer- the kids loved it! Walked through rock caves and arches and some easy rock climbing. Met some locals at Palmilla filleting a 150 lb tuna and had a beer with them and did some body surfing in the waves.
Art WAlk in SAn Jose Del CAbo-a must do!!! oh what a beautiful night! So romantic- teh locals are wonderful-dancing in the streets to live music- wish I was there right now!
?Did golfing at the little nine hole behind the hotel- awesome service- nice little cousre- better service then any expensive course we golfed at in Alberta! Hands down! And inexpensive!!!!!
Okay-we did more but to end- I rated this Hotel a 5 not because it is a 5 star as I would rate a Hilton etc. but for the price we paid and what we got for what we paid-honestly I would rate it a 6! If I wanted gormet food(wich Marco Polos is AWESOME-Eat there)but if I wanted a Hilton-stay at the Hilton- but as far as I am concerned it is not worth triple the price!
Any questions I would be more then happy to help you on your adventure- we are now looking to buy property in the San Jose Cabo area- fell in love!
Peole that complain about this place-the lady that complained that her onion rings were cooked to ling, the lady that complained to the smoothy station worker that her self serve/make omelets did not have enough cheese on it, the lady that complained all afternoon that the pizza crust was to thick- stay home.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!