We arrived at the Royal Solaris on Christmas day for a 5 day stay. Check in was a little slow as the room wasn't ready and there were some computer issues, but once we were in our room, we had a great stay. Our room, #550, was great--large with a beautiful ocean view. We paid extra for the ocean view and for us, it was well worth it. We booked through Costco.com, which provided a well-organized, comprehensive package that included air, transfers and hotel.
The Royal Solaris is all-inclusive, which we felt was a great value and saved the time and hassle of figuring out what to do for every meal. The food, although plentiful, seemed fairly mediocre, though, so we did end out eating out a bit for variety. Even so, we felt it was still a good value, especially for families (although my husband would have given the hotel 3 stars based on the food.) We did not eat at any of the specialty restaurants and they may have been better. The hotel's staff was always friendly and helpful. The hotel's location can't be beat. It's on the beach (although not a swimming beach) and within walking distance of everything in San Jose del Cabo. We were very happy to be staying in San Jose del Cabo, taking day excursions to Cabo and La Paz. Cabo seemed very crowed and noisy compared to SJ and we were happy to return to our quiet end of the beach in the evenings. Although there were a few local vendors, including horses for rides on the beach, they stayed outside the hotel's roped in beach area and were not persistent even when we walked outside the hotel beach area. The hotel was also very kid-friendly and there were many families spending the Christmas holiday there.
One tip--bring lots of single dollar bills because even though the hotel is all-inclusive, you will want to tip the wait staff at every meal and they seem to expect it. With the minimum wage in Mexico at something like $5 per day and the prices high in this area, it seemed like the right thing to do as well. Another tip, walk past all the booths in the airport if you have transfers arranged and look for your travel company outside. We were stopped twice in the airport and directed to time share sales people (ubiquitous in the airport and town) after we said we were looking for a particular travel company. One of them even pretended to call our driver before launching into a time share sales speech.
The hotel people did try to sell us on listening to their time share, but when we said we weren't interested, they did not persist. Our days were generally spent out and about--we went snorkeling, took a boat ride around the arch, rode horses on the beach, took a zodiac ride to watch the whales and took a day trip to La Paz to snorkel with whale sharks. The whale shark trip was definitely a highlight, but it is seasonal (I think, December to March) so not there all the time.
All in all, we had a great time and would definitely return to both Cabo and the Royal Solaris.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-Inclusive family beachfront resort with 387 rooms in a Mexican hacienda-style, located in san Jose del Cabo, Mexico. Royal Solaris Los Cabos offers unlimited meal and beverages in our 5 restaurants, Room service (delivery fee), Dinner show at Tehuacan Theater, 4 bars, 3 pools with heather system (including relaxes & kids pools), Business center, Spa and beauty salon ($), Steam room, fitness center, hospitality rooms, on site shops. Other services include 24 hr medical service (on call) ($). Shuttle service to Cabo San Lucas ($). Weekly activities program for all ages. Tennis and basketball courts, also beach volleyball court. Theme parties and dinner shows. Junior's club (video games). Live and ambient music at the lobby bar. Kids club & Mini Water park. Scuba diving demo at the diving pool. Meeting room facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Solaris Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Solaris Los Cabos Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Royal Solaris Cabo San Lucas
- Los Cabos Solaris
- Los Cabos Royal Solaris
- Royal Solaris Los Cabos San Jose Del Cabo