“Christmas getaway”

Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Carmel, Indiana, United States
“Christmas getaway”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We booked on-line and must admit we didn't even realize it was through Travelocity. No where did the site mention this. We wanted all inclusive including a package with airfare and transfers. The resort was noted as Villa Del Palmar. We were booked at Royale Solaris of which I guess is a part of their conglomerate. Turns out we were pleased with the location NOT being in Cabo San Lucas but rather San Jose Los Cabos (1/2 hour away). Transfer fees turned out to be extremely pricey. Not knowing the area we thought it best to use their recommended transfer company of Terramar. A taxi for the short ride from the airport to resort would have been half the costs. Live and learn. Our room at the resort was fine EXCEPT for the extremely old and hard mattresses. This makes getting a good night sleep after an active day very difficult. We had 2 full beds and a murphy bed on the first floor overlooking the pool. Locks for lockbox is an extra charge. WiFi is also $15.00 a day per device. We agree on breakfast being the best meal. Buffets for the special evening events were blah at best. Pool(s) and beach facilities are very nice. Pool staff was great! Meal for Christmas Eve at Marco Polo restaurant was okay. Not their normal menu and selections didn't really appeal to our young adult children. We did the Dolphin Swim at the nearby marina which was awesome. The sunset catamaran cruise out of Cabo San Lucas was okay, but a little too long (2 hours). It would have been great to just go out to the arch and see sunset and turn around and come back. Value was okay at $39 pp. All this being said, I would return, but would make all my own reservations. We enjoyed being remote from the busy Cabo San Lucas area. Lastly, Emir was a major plus as our personal concierge, always checking in with us to see if we needed anything and if we were enjoying ourselves.

Room Tip: Rooms facing in towards pool area provide nice access.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gail W
Sol H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
I’m sorry we were not able to provide you with a satisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we appreciate your feedback about the restaurants . Your comments have helped us to improve our guest experience and we apologize for the inconvenience. We hope you will reconsider giving us another chance for better stay.

^G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,337)
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We booked this hotel online through RCI time shares. We were aware that this property is a mandatory all inclusive hotel and that we would be charged $80.00 per person for both myself and my husband for each day of our stay at Royal Solaris. Kids are "free" so there was no charge for my boys, five and one years old. When we arrived at Royal Solaris we were flocked by time-share representatives and escorted to the RCI desk where Rosa checked us in and we paid the all inclusive fee for the 8 nights we were staying. I should have been wary when I witnessed other people at the desk voicing concerns about their stay. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade to a room with a jacuzzi tub on the deck for an extra $210.00, and we said sure. We were then given keys and we went up to the room. The room was old and dingy and reeked of urine. My baby was covered in dirt after crawling on the floor for 5 minutes. The "jacuzzi tub" was literally a bathtub on the deck. We went back downstairs and requested another room. I also told Rosa to forget the jacuzzi upgrade. We were told we would be credited the $210.00 for that. The next room we were given was a smoking room and it stank. Back to the desk we went where I told Rosa it was unacceptable, especially with a five year old and a one year old baby. At this point they could tell I was getting a little impatient so they took us to see a "club" room. It was newly renovated and much nicer than the other rooms we had been given. The newer rooms in the hotel are for members of their vacation club, not for RCI. We settled in and went down to have dinner. It was a large buffet but the food was disgusting. Their bread and rolls were dried out and hard as rocks. The meat was over cooked and cold and leftovers from the day before were incorporated into inedible creations. I have been to Mexico over a dozen times and never have I seen canned pineapple in a restaurant - that is not until I stayed at Royal Solaris. I cannot begin to describe how bad the food was. The only edible meal of the day was breakfast. It is pretty hard to mess up eggs and bacon. We decided to leave after three nights. We were told by Rosa that we would be given a refund for remainder of the unused all inclusive fees and for the jacuzzi upgrade we declined when we changed rooms for the third time. However, she could not provide a refund immediately. I was told before she could even initiate the process I would be required to write a letter describing why we were leaving early. I was made to stand at the RCI desk and write this letter. She then gave me a receipt for a refund but it did not have a dollar amount on it. She refused to give me one with the amount of $850.00 that was to be refunded to me. I asked to speak with a hotel manager. They went to "find" the manager but all the managers were in a "meeting". She said it should take three days to process the refund. I tried to get some assistance from other hotel staff but RCI dealings are separate from hotel business. I was so upset at this point because nobody at the RCI desk or at the hotel would help me. I just wanted to get out of there. We left and went to the Melia Cabo Real, which by the way was really nice. It had great food, better drinks a much nicer pool and a stretch of beach for swimming. When we got home I saw that the money had not been refunded to my CITI bank visa card. I called and spoke with Rosa at the RCI desk at the Royal Solaris. She remembered me and told me the refund had been processed. I told her the charge was still on my credit card. She told me she didn't know why and feigned ignorance. I know she never truly processed the refund and that is why she refused to give me a receipt with the actual refund amount on it when we left. I called Citi Bank visa and told them what had happened. They sent the issue to billing disputes and gave me a temporary refund while the issue was being investigated. Because Rosa refused to give me a receipt with the refund amount of $850.00 Citi Bank said they could not issue me a refund and put the $850.00 back onto my card. I am now forced to pay this and any interest that has accrued. I called RCI, Royal Solaris, Citi Bank and nobody will take any responsibility for this situation. The reason I did not post a review earlier is that I was waiting to see how this incident was resolved. Now that it isn't, I am able to provide all of the facts with the final outcome. Shame on Royal Solaris, RCI (especially Rosa), and Citi Bank Visa for your lack of assistance in this matter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank FM-In-T-Town
Carver, Minnesota
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Please note that most of my recent all-inclusive stays have been at Club Med (Punta Cana and Ixtapa), so that's where I'm coming from. I stayed at Hotel Solaris with my 3 yr old over Thanksgiving week. I met a good friend and her family, who are owners. Previous comments about the "caste" system are completely true! As owners, we got gold-colored beach towels (everyone else got green), different menus at the restaurants, different alcohol in our drinks (more top shelf) and owner-only restaurants and bars. I thought that was ridiculous. The good: GREAT kids pool area with tons of water slides and an adjacent playground area, huge beach area, you can walk to local stores and Starbucks. The not so great: food was mediocre at best and the good food at the buffet either ran out quickly or had huge lines to get it (hard to wait in a huge line with a 3 yr old). The event nights were OK, but food and entertainment mediocre. Most times I had to wait at the bar 5-10 minutes to get a drink. Beach boys were rare. The bad: Most rooms are facing the main pool (mine included) -- the amount of noise from the microphoned employees shouting workouts, trivia games and activities went on ALL DAY with pounding music. I was unable to shut out the noise in our room to have quiet nap time. The beach vendors are relentless. You need to get up at 6 AM and reserve a chair by the pool or beach in order to get anywhere to sit during the day (reserving is against policy per signage but not enforced).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Carvertraveler
Sol H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
We are truly disappointed that you did not experience the relaxing stay you were hoping for, as it is always our goal to provide guests with everything they need for a pleasant visit. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any loud issues you encountered. It is never our intention for our guests to leave feeling disappointed and we will certainly work with our team to ensure all areas are at their best at all times. It is our hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back so that we may win back your trust.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

The day we landed in Royal Solaris was beautiful. The building is well kept. You will always see people cleaning this place. We had a wonderful time here. Their night shows were very nice but can work on their dinner buffets as they were little cold if you go after 7:30. Their Christmas dinner was very nice with roast beef and turkey. They gave us a free day of snorkeling for 2 hours of their sales pitch on buying into the resort time share. The staff there is very friendly. We really enjoyed our stay there. I would recommend this place if you are looking to get away from cold and have a vacation at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: We had a reservation for Ocean view but there was no ocean in sight so little disappointed but we we...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank sadhna2013
It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us on Christmas! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
Warm regards,
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We continue to enjoy our experiences at Royal Solaris. This was our 8th year, and the 7th in Cabos. We always bring friends and family and everyone has a grate time. Food is always good and the staff go out of their way to make your holiday more enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the positive review. We are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay at our hotel. Guest comfort is our #1 priority. Indeed, we strive to provide top notch service to all of our guests and we are glad to have surpassed those expectations.

Langley City, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This hotel is of great quality. The staff, the food, the hotel and the activities gave us a feeling of being spoiled for two weeks. The personal attention they gave us made us feel we were among friends. The beach was excellent and we even got to see the turtles hatch.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Mippie70
Thank you for the wonderful comments about your stay at Royal Solaris Los Cabos.
Our staff takes pride in providing extraordinary services to our guests. From the moment you walk through the front door until the time you depart it is our goal to have you feeling better than you did when you arrived!
It was truly a pleasure to have you with us and we hope to see you again in the future!

Warm Regards,
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was our first time to Cabos and we would go back. We are owners at the resort and felt that they did offer us extra perks that we enjoyed. The food quality needs to improve. The staff was AMAZING! Victor was our representative and helped us with everything. He took great care of us. The shows were nice. The resort was well maintained. I think the put a lot of time, energy and money into the shows and the theme nights but need to have better food and definitely more seafood.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view which was very nice!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We couldn't be more pleased to learn that you had such a great experience at Royal Solaris Los Cabos. From check in to check out, it is our hope that guests have a positive encounter in all ways and we are thrilled you enjoyed not only our amazing views and attentive service but also our prime downtown location. Thank you for your glowing review. It is always our goal to provide a true Club Solaris experience and we hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!