“Some Problems”

Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Hermosillo
“Some Problems”
Reviewed August 9, 2008

I read the reviews and I had the same problem, menwhile the staff wanted to sale a Time Share you are like a first class person, when you get mad said please do not disturb I would not buy nothing you are like waste; this is what I hate about the service in this kind of hotels. I reserved and paid trough PriceHotels.com, I had a very good deal, the Hotel was over booked and I did not have the room that I asked and paid for it ( 2 queen beds ) instead I had a 1 king bed and the hotel gave an extra twin bed, we were confortable and fine but we did not paid for that, at the check in, they explained me about it and it was fine, but they tryied to upgrade my room to a ocean view, but I must paid more for it; it was not my faul on the over booked situation and they tryied to fix their problem and I should paid for it? That is not servece. Comodities, pool area, and food on the restaurants that you must reserve, are just excellent. Brekfast Buffet it is just fine, lunch at pool is very good. Beverages are good for thoose who like Pepsi. Entertaiment Team and Shows are just enough.

I recomend this Hotel because its facilities not beacuse the service and employees.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Employees service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank WaldoHermosillo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,312)
RSM, CA
Reviewed August 5, 2008

We were checked in by a young man, Geraldo, who asked if we were interested in receiving free gifts for going to a presentation about the property. My husband asked if it was anything like a time share and Geraldo said definitely not. We went to the presentation, and it was a VIP Club/ Timeshare, just as we suspected. We sat though the long presentation, which went well over the 90 minutes they said it would, and kept getting bombarded with person after person who tried to pressure us and present the numbers in a different way, but financially, the numbers didn't make sense. We finally got out of there over 2 hours later. We never saw Geraldo again after that day, so it's a good thing we weren't going to cash in on the $50 rental car portion of our "free gift". We did, however, see the blonde American lady that did our presentation at least 5 times during the rest of our stay. We were in no way rude to her during the presentation, yet she made it a point to go out of her way to ignore us. At one point she was in the middle of a tour with another partner showing the propery and she told him to "Stop the tour" so we could go by. By the tone of her voice and the look on her face, it was defnitely not out of courtesy.
Now we get to the VIP Club. Everyone that was at the hotel paid good money to vacation there. The group we were with, and a lot of other guests that we talked to felt it was tacky to flaunt the fact that the VIP members had "Special, Better" dinners, and Premium drinks, while everyone else were treated as second class citizens. If you're going to do VIP, it should be more private, not in the middle of the courtyard. We attended the Tahiti show that was for VIP's that was supposedly $70 per person, and if I would have paid $70, I would have asked for my money back. We also spoke to 3 VIP families from New York that said they had nothing but problems since they got there.
One of the nights, the only place to have dinner was the theater where the show was. Of course, there weren't enough seats for everyone, so many of us had to get styrofoam containers and eat in the lobby. Some people had to stand. How can you only have one restaurant open with not enough seating and no turnover because of the show?
I do have to say that other than the time share employees, everyone else was extremely friendly, and the hotel and grounds were extremely clean and well kept . The food was a little monotonous at the buffets,but the a la carte restaurants were excellent. The entertainment was good. We were disappointed that we could not go into the ocean in front of the hotel because the surf was too rough.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank DVEEDER
kamloops
Reviewed July 28, 2008

The time share is a scam they charge you 8400.00 to get what you can just book online without paying anything. The hotel sucks the rooms are old , the staff are thiefs the bell boy stole my camera. And dont get sucked into the time share , they will lie to you and say you get all kinds of bonus stuff and when you get home its all a lie. Ask PROFECO its the better business burea there. The food was awful only buffett. Same thing all the time.
Beware !!! When you get there they will constantly harrass you to go to the timeshare , what ever you do dont. By the way Rental doesnt work.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Old smelly
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
austin
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We booked this trip on Expedia and had paid for the shuttle services from the airport to the hotel. When we arrived at the airport we were quickly hit by solicitors and then told that all the taxi and shuttle services were on strike and that we had to pay. We then contacted Expedia and they told us to pay and they would reimburse us, which was ok. At the hotel front desk man was very rude. We again paid extra for an ocean view room and he placed us facing the pool area. It took us 45 minutes and two rooms later to finally get settled to the room we paid for. We were met by a female who turned out to be a timeshare shark who also identified herself as the hotel conceirge. We arrived here for my beautiful daughter's wedding. We were annoyed with the timeshare people and how rude they were to us after declining their sales offer. They didn't even promise what they said they would give, i.e, snorkling excursion (just for listening to thier sales pitch). My son in law and his son took the paper/receipt that was provided by the timeshare sharks to the boat area for the snorking excursion. The people at the snorkling excursion laughted at him when they saw the paper and told them the boat had already left the area. They said that the timeshare people will tell a wrong time for the boat trip. My son in law and his son were stranded at that sight since we and the rest of the family went to shop downtown. He had no way of getting in contact with us and this whole day was a dissappointment to him and the whole family. When we arrived at the hotel to file a complaint they turned a deaf ear to our complaint and basically said that we went at the wrong time and would not own up to thier mishappenings. My son in law demanded to speak with the hotel manager to speak with him and they (the hotel staff) danced around and it took forever to speak to someone who was supposedly the manager on duty. The so called manager said that he and the hotel were not affiliated with the timehare people and they would not compensate. They didn't even have the professionalism to appologize for this wasted day at our financial expense for taxi services and etc. My son in law appropriately called the so called manager out and told him that the female conceirge identified herself with the hotel and timeshare which made him and this hotel very responsible for this wasted and ruined day. Also the hotel beds are as hard as boards and they close the pool way to early 8:00 P.M. for cleaning They should clean the pool late at night and early morning. The maid service was very good and and friendly. Do not stay here unless you want to get jacked around from timeshare people and treated like crap from front desk people and so called management.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank nutmaker
Florida
Reviewed July 23, 2008

This hotel is amazing. The staff is helpful and inconspicuous. The perfect place for a romantic getaway or family trip. They can help you make any arrangements you need and it is within walking distance to San Jose. Where the most wonderful tequila shop is. There are several restaurants right on site and the breakfast buffet is wonderful. The rooms are clean and spacious. Our room overlooked the pool and it was beautiful at night. Well worth the money and what a great experience.

• Liked — All Inclusive
  • Disliked — Really and truly there is nothing that I would change about this place.
  • Stayed December 2004, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cohiba699
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Call the airline. That’s what I said to my husband less than 24 hours after we arrived. I was ready to go home.

Our experience at the airport began calmly enough…we were in first class so we got to immigration and customs first and didn’t have to wait. Of course, from there the fun began.

As soon as you leave customs, past the frosted glass, you step into a shark tank. Everybody is yelling at you trying to steer you in the direction of their time share pitch. We foolishly didn’t arrange our transportation ahead of time so we had to wade through the nonsense to find a shuttle. He pitched us a time share but gave up after several attempts. We paid $22 for both of us to take the shuttle to the Royal Solaris. They will tell you all sorts of fees for taxis etc…don’t fall for it. A taxi costs $20 from the Solaris to the airport when you leave. Unless you are getting a ride for free, just grab a taxi when you are ready to go. There are either taxis waiting in front of the hotel, or they will call one for you.

We arrived at the Solaris a couple hours later than we should have due to a flight delay. We were both tired. We were met at the door by our “concierge” who directed us to the desk. We have stayed at hotels before that sell time shares so we knew what was in store for us. I’m sure everyone knows the drill by now so I’ll skip the details of the spiel. It’s the standard time share nonsense. Our concierge wanted us to sign a document with several stipulations to which my husband said no. They then proceeded to go back and forth about why he wouldn’t sign. He kept telling us “it’s just a signature, it doesn’t mean anything.” I asked him if that was true, why would we be required to sign anything? Sorry, but I’m not signing anything that looks like a potential contract especially in a foreign country where I don’t have access to the same legal remedies I have in the US. I think he figured out he wasn’t going to get anywhere at that moment, so he took us to the desk to check in, after about 30 minutes of the pitch. It wasn’t the last we heard from him although I ignored the ringing phone (disconnect it if they don’t leave you alone) and didn’t return his phone calls.

The room was adequate. There was lots of storage space and a huge closet although not that many hangers. It was listed as a deluxe ocean view room. You can certainly see the ocean, but your main view is the courtyard/pool area. The bed was absolutely horrible. I was so uncomfortable and spent most of the night tossing and turning the whole time we were there. I don’t know what it is about Mexico, but every hotel we’ve ever stayed in there has those lousy hard beds. The TV didn’t work. Even though we had the AC as cold as it would go, it never really got beyond a little cool in the room. The “mini bar” was a fridge with 4 sodas, 4 waters and 4 cans of cheap beer. Considering how hot it is in Cabo, we went through the soda and water very quickly. The bathrooms are quite large and have plenty of counter space. The toilet seemed like it wanted to back up every time it was flushed. The showers are actually quite nice although I really wish the shower curtain was longer so you didn’t end up with water all over the bathroom. There are plenty of towels in the room and available at the pool so you can leave your towels in your room.

Overall, the entertainment was silly and noisy. The dinner theater was lame at best….very high school. I ordered a frozen margarita and handed my waiter a $20 bill. Told him to make sure they use the good stuff and keep them coming. I had my own personal waiter that night. At least the margaritas made the show tolerable and honestly, it was the most fun I had the whole time I was there. That isn’t saying much. The karaoke was totally obnoxious and not even close to being entertaining. They had some outdoor band/dinner for the “owners” that was very loud and irritating. You couldn’t escape from the noise even in your room. I didn’t attend the games and what not at the pool but I could hear the staff doing their thing. I think the kids there were having fun. It was disruptive if you wanted to relax. The beach was fairly quiet and we didn’t have any real problems with the beach vendors bugging us. They moved on if you told them “No thanks.”

The charging/billing to the room was very confusing. Sometimes you were charged in Pecos, sometimes in USD. I have an odd charging pending on my credit card that I will have to follow up on in a couple days. They are trying to charge me $240 for something and I’m not sure what.

Overall, I wasn’t impressed with the food at all. There were a few good things but for the most part, I thought the food was gross. It seemed as though they put together most dishes with cheap ingredients. I wasn’t too crazy about the roasted pig head sitting the middle of the pulled pork. Ick. Breakfast was the best meal of the day and the pool snack bar had decent fast food offerings. One issue at the pool snack bar was the fruit bar had 8-10 bees sitting on the watermelon I assume slurping up the sugar. I skipped the fruit. We didn’t eat at the ala carte restaurants, so no comment on those. I wish they would have had more traditional foods on the buffets in addition to the “exotic” stuff they put out. I would have killed for some steamed veggies. Also, most of the desserts we tasted were just odd. They had very little flavor like there was no or very little sugar in them. My husband liked the 3 cheese flan and the strawberry cheesecake was ok although it really wasn’t cheesecake. We did order room service a couple times and got steaks. They were ok.

I will give credit to the wait staff. They were very prompt and courteous to us. I had no problem tipping them as my impression is they don’t make much and it didn’t seem as though many people were tipping. A couple bucks ensured great service so it was a win for both us and the waiter.

The gift shop/store is a major rip off. It cost us $13USD for 2 candy bars and two ice creams out of their freezer. Nail polish remover that would have cost .99 cents was $4+ and I couldn’t take it home on the plane. I left it for the maid.

I can see how the issue of reserving beach chairs could be frustrating. We were able to get two chairs on the beach under the umbrellas but nearly all of the other chairs had towels or people stuff on them. In the 4+ hours we were out there, the chairs remained 50% unoccupied, with people’s things on them. It appeared that people tossed their stuff on the chairs just in case they wanted them at some point in the day.

I told my husband they did everything they could to make sure I would NOT want to buy a timeshare from them. There isn’t much to do on or off the property. While I never felt like I was being treated like a second class citizens like some of the reviewers, it was a bit confusing trying to determine what we were allowed to attend and where we were allowed to eat. I have not experienced that before even at other time shares including the GR Solaris in Cancun, so that was a little off putting.

As someone else said, I was counting down the days till I was out of there and was literally giddy when the plane lifted off the runway. I won’t be going back.

• Liked — Wait Staff
  • Disliked — Time share sales, food, entertainment
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MissCaliE
dallas
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I just came back from a four night vacation in San Jose del Cabo at the Royal Solaris Resort. I had fun on the trip and thought the place was beautiful. I went to see a friend get married and there were 32 of us down there. The trip home was a nightmare and I will never stay there again. As the shuttle was to take us from the resort to the airport, we sat in the bus for about 20 minutes and was told nothing. Finally one of us got out of the bus to see what was going on. He came back and told us that cab drivers (from one specific company I think) were blockading our exit in an attempt to force us to use their cabs instead of the shuttle that we've already paid for. Come to find out they did this just the day before and no one said anything to us. This was an extorsion attempt on either us or the hotel itself. Regardless, we weren't allowed to leave. They did this knowing that we wanted to catch our plane home and did it at the time that we were leaving. I am especially angry because I have used a cab every day that I was there at lease once and many of my crew were the same. Not to mention they are expensive already. We then were told that we had to get off the bus and get our bags. We soon came to find out that the bus driver was with the cab drivers and that's part of why no one even bothered to tell us and just let us sit there and start being late. This all went on for about 45 minutes and we almost were in a fight with the cab drivers. We didn't feel like anyone at the hotel or even the policia were not on our side and just made us get out of the street as we were forced to walk. We felt captive. We eventually walked about a quarter mile down the main road carrying our bags, women also. Eventually the bus got out and went the other way down the street for a way and turned around and got us. Fortunately the flight was late and we made it on time. There were 32 of us on the bus and about 8 on a smaller shuttle that recieved the same treatment. There were photographers everywhere because apparently this has been going on and it is kept secret. Worst experience ever.

• Liked — decent food and free drinks
  • Disliked — weren't allowed to leave in an extortion attept. hotel didn't help
  • Stayed July 2008
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,644 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,250 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,078 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!