“Don't Go!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Omaha
“Don't Go!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2004

We visited March 11-14, 2004 and we wish we would've taken these reviews to heart. The accommodations were awful and the food was absolutely HORRIBLE!!! We will never visit again. Also, the incoming 800 # did not work EVER for all 3 days we were there for relatives to call in. I would never recommend this place. We paid extra forf ocean view room and our balcony overlooked construction and part beach.

2 Thank D C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,280)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2004

Just returned from a week at the Royal Solaris. We were rebooked there
by Sunquest Vacations when our trip to Loreto was undersold. My partner
is a keen golfer and I'm a tennis nut, so we were disappointed by the 9
hole only golf course and the single sand/carpet tennis court, which is
really too poorly lit for night play. No tennis pro even in the area
for you to have a hit with and no system for matching guests who might
want to meet other players. Bring your own balls too as the hotel only
has a small supply of very used balls.
Our first experience of San Jose was terrible unfortunately......it started at the airport where we waited almost 2 hours to go through immigration, including at least 20 minutes in the boiling sun outside the building. While those from our flight stood in line, 3 flights from Alaska Airlines deplaned and sailed through a special lane for them! My advice for anyone travelling to Cabo San Lucas is to definitely travel Alaska Airlines. They have a system set up with Mexican immigration to pre-clear all their arriving passengers and it seems to work like a charm. Avoiding the time-share salesmen who accost you on your way out of the airport is extremely difficult. Even though I had been warned by reading reviews, I still got fooled. We almost missed our shuttle bus to the hotel because one of them told us it hadn't arrived yet and he'd "look after" us till it got in. He even seemed to suggest he was from Sunquest tours which confused us totally. When we finally made it to the hotel, we endured another long line to check in. Needless to say, we were ready for a few drinks by then! Thankfully we never encountered anyone trying to sell us time-shares in the hotel itself.
Overall the resort is pretty good quality. The food in the buffet is better than the restaurants. The system of lining up for the buffet hostess to find you a seat is ridiculous, and my partner and I basically ignored the long lines and just went straight to the buffet. There were always lots of empty tables. Our room was clean and spacious with a lovely view. The reception on the tv wasn't the greatest, and there was no bath, but at least there was plenty of hot water and a great shower. The resort pools are beautiful. Definitely don't miss a trip to the spa and a sit in the gorgeous jacuzzi there.
There are no water sports as such in San Jose because the waves are huge. We were quite disappointed that there was no sailing or windsurfing. We did enjoy long walks on the beach though, totally without harrassment by vendors or hucksters and felt completely safe.
The "city tour" at $35 was the best value for money when it came to the tours. A few people had spent $70 to go whale watching and never saw a single whale this time of year. I saw whales every day from the beach. Take a pair of binoculars to enjoy them even more. The fellows on the beach running the SkyRider rides in their motorized hang-glider did a brisk business the last couple of days we were there. At $50, this is expensive, but well worth it.
We did have a couple days of feeling shaky in the stomach. Would recommend bottled water the whole time. You can bring your own bottle and fill up at the poolside grill, or in the gym.
Overall, we had a great holiday because we were open-minded and determined to make the best of things. But I wouldn't choose the Royal Solaris again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2004

My wife and I (early 40's) spent a week at Royal Solaris Feb.16 - 23, 2004 and had a great time. The hotel and grounds were beautiful, staff very friendly adn efficient. Weather was perfect - 1/2 day of cloud in a week. Food was fine - we ate in both a la carte restaurants, and the buffets, and teh only complaint was one night we had to wait about 45 mins. to get in. I had steak, mexican, etc. and it was good. Pool was great, beach volleyball was great fun, sports bar was good. We went there to relax and read a book for a week, and were not disappointed.
We walked into San Jose for 1/2 a day, adn explored around the town - lots of friendly people. Only a couple of minor compaints - the first room we were put in was near the elevator, and was noisy with the bell of the elevator - asked to be moved - no problem. 2nd room was quiet.
And I had a seagull poop on my shoulder - no problem, wiped it off with the hotel towel, and ordered another mai tai. We were not hasseled by the Time Share people, and we were able to meet many other Canadians and American. We never did make it to the town of Los Cabos, maybe next time. You could take the local bus, which costs about 16 pesos ($1.60 US) - a lot cheaper than renting a car or cab. We enjoyed our stay, and would recommend it. Did I mention the earthquake we felt the second night we were there......

• Stayed January 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
5 Thank Engine11_13
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2004

I stayed at the Royal Solaris for one week beginning Mar. 3rd. The food was definately not up to par. The breakfast was great, but the other meals left much to be desired. The snacks by the pool never changed and they were not appetizing. The staff was courteous for the most part and the pool staff was especially great. They kept the people happy and they kept the drinks coming. I wasn't expecting gourmet food and I wouldn't say it was horrible, but it was disappointing compared to the many all inclusives I have stayed in before. The thing that really bothered me was this.....my fiance and I took a whale watching tour during the early morning hours.......prior to leaving we counted our cash just to check on how much we had left and to budget the rest of our days...we put my purse and his wallet into the drawer under some clothes and left for our tour. Upon our arrival back to the hotel we decided to take a shower and go into Cabo San Lucas and check out the town. We got my purse and his wallet and when we went to get the money to pay we realized that most of our money was missing. The maid (or whomever) had only left me 25 dollars and before we left that morning I had 150 dollars! They had left my fiance 80 dollars and he had 280 prior to leaving! I guess they figured people stay drunk and would not notice as long as some cash were left. We immeadiately reported this to the hotel and they assured us that they would review the tapes as the hallways are monitored. When we got back with them later, they advised us that the only two people in the room while we had gone was the maid and the maid assistant. They never bothered to get back to us about the incident and they never even apologized for obviously a hotel employee stealing our money. All they did was bring a lock for a safe they had in the closet of the room and told us it would be free. I told them we really didn't need it at this point as they had already stolen all the money, but we took it anyways because at least thankfully they left us enough to get a cab back to the airport and I felt nervous about my credit cards and passports too after that happening. I have never had this sort of thing happen at any hotel and I travel all over the world.
I was just so appalled that they didn't even offer an apology. I know they are not going to give the money back becuase anyone could make a false accusation, but all I wanted was to know that they cared and it looked to me like they didn't! I asked the security person who came to the room to make the report if this sort of thing happens often and he said "not too often". That answer let me know that it probably does happen often, otherwise he would have said no or very rarely! Just be careful with your money if you go and buy the lock for your room safe the moment you check in. After this I have learned my lesson the hard way, but I hope to save somene else the grief. If you can get over the less than average food the hotel is nice. It is very pretty with a nice staff and they try to keep you entertained. If you want a place with wonderful food that is all inclusive then I highly suggest going to the Radisson in Nassau, Bahamas. Wonderful food and wonderful service!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2004

It is a very busy resort with lots of noise ... the food was not to our liking...there was no adults only area so everywhere we went was busy with kids...we ran into several problems trying to use the internet...
the room service never arrived on time or even close to it...there was no lawn chairs for us to sun bathe, they were all reserved with towels even though no one occupied them for hours on end... 6 days had passed already...we were spending all of our days off the resort as much as possible and came back only to sleep and relax when we had to. When we voiced our disappointment to the woman Guest Services Supervisor she told us to do them a favour and leave so after having this idea planted in our heads we did just that. We went and saw our Sunquest rep and we left that afternoon and checked into the Presidente next door...wow. I have to tell you...that is the best thing that happened to us. We were treated like Royalty for the next 8 days there. Staff, service and food as well as presentation were top notch. The resort was very clean and quiet...great if you want to rest and relax...(if you want to party and have a good time you can shuttle into Cabo and go to the Squid Roe...fun place) There was a beautiful adults only pool area and bar with a good view of the ocean and wildlife estuary...the staff was so helpful and very consciencious...we had room service on time every morning...the shower was amazing...great pressure and unlimited hot water...it was great. No one or nothing can take from the beauty of the Baja...the drinks by the pool were served in a plastic glass for safety reasons but all other places on the resort they were served in glass...
Just our thoughts and comments...hope this helps you when planning your vacation...we all want our vacation to be a successful one.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2004

My husband and I along with another couple were at the Royal Solaris for 6 nights. WE HAD A GREAT TIME!!! The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. The rooms are nice; they are not what I would call extravegant, but very nice and very clean. Besides, why would a person want to go to a beautiful location like Cabo and spend lots of time in a room? The food was good. Yes, by the end of the week you are getting a little tired of the choices, but it is not because the food is not good. Even if I ate at the most highly rated restaurant in the world for 6 straight days, I would probably get a little tired of the choices. The breakfast and snacks were great! I don't understand how a person can go to such a nice place and whine so much when they get home. Maybe we are too down to earth to notice, but I believe the Royal Solaris is an excellent place to stay. The staff is so helpful. San Jose is a great little town. It is only about a 20 minute walk from the resort. We ate at the Tropicana in town and it was fabulous! The entertainment team works so hard! Moses and Fransico are a scream! We went into Cabo San Lucas. We went to the CAbo Wabo, it was O.K. Took a fishing trip- did not catch any fish but we saw whales, which by the way we could see every morning from our breakfast table. WE took a cruise on the Cabo Ray. GREAT!!! Water was very cold, but we snorkled anyway. The drinks were very good at the Royal- no Corona though. All in all things were great and I would go back in a heartbeat. If you have any questions feel free to ask! No one got sick!!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2004

After reading the reviews here my stomach was in knotts over having already booked the vacation before seeing this site. So many people seemed to like or love the RS while some had horrible things to say. My wife and I (ages 30 and 37) went Feb 9 - Feb 12 -04. We had a great time. All we wanted to do was relax and we were able to do exactly that with no trouble. I had no problem with the food at all. It tasted good to me. Some things were not bad but simply different. When you travel to another country and expect everything to taste like it does in the US you are going with the wrong expectations. Also, I just think some people are picky and/or spoiled (trust me, part of the problem with being picky or spoiled is that you don't even know you are). I consider myself to have expensive taste but I am flexible and open minded. There is no way I would have walked out of any of the restaurants after only one bite or starved or any of that nonsense. Plus it is all you can eat and they had many choices. Send it back and try something else. The mexican restaurant had awesome self-serve fajitas every night and we chowed on those. I put the mezcal sauce on everything and it was great.
Imagine that, good mezcal sauce in Mexico. Two things I'll recommend 1) rent a car if you want to go to San Lucas. It was only $60 for the day and you have the freedom to come and go as you please. The best price you'll get from the shuttle or taxi is around $40 for 2 people round trip. The extra $20 is worth the convenience and comfort. The drive from San Jose is super easy and you can park at the marina for free.
Then spend the day there and go whale watching or whatever. The car rental place is right across the street from the RS called All Estate car rental I think. 2) when you go through the airport after getting your luggage and clearing customs, head straight for the exit and don't stop for anything until you are outside and find your shuttle person.
There are basically 3 sets of doors before you are outside. The reason is that there is essentially a gauntlet of time share hucksters trying to sign you up for a "presentation" and offering all sorts of free gifts and stuff. Save yourself the trouble. And if you want to go to a presentation, they will hit you again before check-in at the hotel. We just sat politely and listened to the schpeel and said no thanks. But that was after being accosted 2wice before even getting out of the airport. They were very nice and we were trying not to be rude so we had to listen to the timeshare stuff and say no 2 times before even getting to the hotel and that made dealing with it at the hotel even more aggrivating. Everything was beautiful and I would definitely recommend it.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#36 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,470 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#31 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,312 reviews

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!