“Didn't Like It...”

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2004

It is a very busy resort with lots of noise ... the food was not to our liking...there was no adults only area so everywhere we went was busy with kids...we ran into several problems trying to use the internet...
the room service never arrived on time or even close to it...there was no lawn chairs for us to sun bathe, they were all reserved with towels even though no one occupied them for hours on end... 6 days had passed already...we were spending all of our days off the resort as much as possible and came back only to sleep and relax when we had to. When we voiced our disappointment to the woman Guest Services Supervisor she told us to do them a favour and leave so after having this idea planted in our heads we did just that. We went and saw our Sunquest rep and we left that afternoon and checked into the Presidente next door...wow. I have to tell you...that is the best thing that happened to us. We were treated like Royalty for the next 8 days there. Staff, service and food as well as presentation were top notch. The resort was very clean and quiet...great if you want to rest and relax...(if you want to party and have a good time you can shuttle into Cabo and go to the Squid Roe...fun place) There was a beautiful adults only pool area and bar with a good view of the ocean and wildlife estuary...the staff was so helpful and very consciencious...we had room service on time every morning...the shower was amazing...great pressure and unlimited hot water...it was great. No one or nothing can take from the beauty of the Baja...the drinks by the pool were served in a plastic glass for safety reasons but all other places on the resort they were served in glass...
Just our thoughts and comments...hope this helps you when planning your vacation...we all want our vacation to be a successful one.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Royal Solaris Los Cabos

Ville Platte, Louisiana
Reviewed March 8, 2004

My husband and I along with another couple were at the Royal Solaris for 6 nights. WE HAD A GREAT TIME!!! The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. The rooms are nice; they are not what I would call extravegant, but very nice and very clean. Besides, why would a person want to go to a beautiful location like Cabo and spend lots of time in a room? The food was good. Yes, by the end of the week you are getting a little tired of the choices, but it is not because the food is not good. Even if I ate at the most highly rated restaurant in the world for 6 straight days, I would probably get a little tired of the choices. The breakfast and snacks were great! I don't understand how a person can go to such a nice place and whine so much when they get home. Maybe we are too down to earth to notice, but I believe the Royal Solaris is an excellent place to stay. The staff is so helpful. San Jose is a great little town. It is only about a 20 minute walk from the resort. We ate at the Tropicana in town and it was fabulous! The entertainment team works so hard! Moses and Fransico are a scream! We went into Cabo San Lucas. We went to the CAbo Wabo, it was O.K. Took a fishing trip- did not catch any fish but we saw whales, which by the way we could see every morning from our breakfast table. WE took a cruise on the Cabo Ray. GREAT!!! Water was very cold, but we snorkled anyway. The drinks were very good at the Royal- no Corona though. All in all things were great and I would go back in a heartbeat. If you have any questions feel free to ask! No one got sick!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed March 8, 2004

After reading the reviews here my stomach was in knotts over having already booked the vacation before seeing this site. So many people seemed to like or love the RS while some had horrible things to say. My wife and I (ages 30 and 37) went Feb 9 - Feb 12 -04. We had a great time. All we wanted to do was relax and we were able to do exactly that with no trouble. I had no problem with the food at all. It tasted good to me. Some things were not bad but simply different. When you travel to another country and expect everything to taste like it does in the US you are going with the wrong expectations. Also, I just think some people are picky and/or spoiled (trust me, part of the problem with being picky or spoiled is that you don't even know you are). I consider myself to have expensive taste but I am flexible and open minded. There is no way I would have walked out of any of the restaurants after only one bite or starved or any of that nonsense. Plus it is all you can eat and they had many choices. Send it back and try something else. The mexican restaurant had awesome self-serve fajitas every night and we chowed on those. I put the mezcal sauce on everything and it was great.
Imagine that, good mezcal sauce in Mexico. Two things I'll recommend 1) rent a car if you want to go to San Lucas. It was only $60 for the day and you have the freedom to come and go as you please. The best price you'll get from the shuttle or taxi is around $40 for 2 people round trip. The extra $20 is worth the convenience and comfort. The drive from San Jose is super easy and you can park at the marina for free.
Then spend the day there and go whale watching or whatever. The car rental place is right across the street from the RS called All Estate car rental I think. 2) when you go through the airport after getting your luggage and clearing customs, head straight for the exit and don't stop for anything until you are outside and find your shuttle person.
There are basically 3 sets of doors before you are outside. The reason is that there is essentially a gauntlet of time share hucksters trying to sign you up for a "presentation" and offering all sorts of free gifts and stuff. Save yourself the trouble. And if you want to go to a presentation, they will hit you again before check-in at the hotel. We just sat politely and listened to the schpeel and said no thanks. But that was after being accosted 2wice before even getting out of the airport. They were very nice and we were trying not to be rude so we had to listen to the timeshare stuff and say no 2 times before even getting to the hotel and that made dealing with it at the hotel even more aggrivating. Everything was beautiful and I would definitely recommend it.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed March 6, 2004

Arrived home Thursday night from Los Cabos. My wife and I went with her sister and husband and stayed for a week at the Royal Solaris. The hotel is rated as a 5 star hotel, but I would have trouble giving it more than two or three tops. First, the hotel has potential, but it has a long way to go. As most reviews state, the food is aweful. Well, the breads were great, and breakfast was ok, but every other meal we ate was terrible. There is no room service in the hotel (it was in the orientation when we arrived), with the exception of breakfast. There are 6 restaurants to eat from (snack bar by the pool, buffet by the pool, dinner theatre, and two a la carte restaurants. The two sit down restaurants were HORRIBLE. We actually took one bite of food from each of our dishes one night and got up and walked out. The snack bar has the same thing every day, the breakfast changes things around, but only a little. Oh, and do note, that just because there are six restaurants doesn't mean that you have a lot of choices to eat. You can only have the choice of two places to eat for each meal, sometimes no choice at all. The housekeeping is great, when they get to your room. My in-laws went two days (maybe three) without their room cleaned. We went one day. The hotel guest services did not impress me either. We knew ahead of time that we couldn't swim in the ocean, but we did it anyway....I hurt myself too...dummy that I am. Don't try it unless you are a GREAT swimmer and even then be careful. The transportation is a joke to Cabo.
They basically just hire a taxi service to shuttle you to and from the hotel. The shuttle isn't based on what you want to do either, you have to go and come when they tell you. Unless you rent a car. The cab ride to Cabo is $35 USD, just so you know. What a rip-off in my opinion.
That is what everyone charges though...so you have to deal with it. For me and my wife, one trip to Cabo was good though. Got to shop, got to go to Cabo Wabo and some other places, and got to see the sites. Must do the Zodiac Whale watch (Cabo Expeditions) and you have to do the ATV with Baja Adventures (in front of the El Presidente next door). San Jose is awesome too....nice quiet town. All in all I will go back again, but I won't stay at the Royal Solaris again......even if it is free. Email me with questions if you want!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 4, 2004

I didn't pay alot, nor I paid too little .. my overall experience at this place was better than okay .. maybe the fact that I drank like a fish made me oblivious to the most imperfections. First annoying thing about (which is pretty much all-inclusive place anyways) is diluted alcohol ... you gotta take like 3 shots of tequila before you feel anything. Other than that I have to say the service from check in to check out was amazing, attentive, and considerate. The food they served was okay, wouldn't have seconds (except for breakfast which was yummy).
I especially liked the different bars and different restauraunts, the swim up bar was just awesome and having breakfast and lunch with spectacular oceanviews. The place and the service really did balance out the diluted alcohol and okay food. I went with girlfriends, and the place was filled with couples ... so not good for singles or party-ers, gotta go to Cabo San Lucas for that. This place was pleasant to stay at. Do recommend when you don't have much to spend but have a little bit more to spare.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 4, 2004

just to reiterate what so many of the other reviews have mentioned, the royal solaris was NOT a pleasurable experience. i was actually relieved to leave. the site/hotel is deceiving, as it's tastfully designed and decorated. however, the money going into the expanse of the building might have been better served improving the quality of the food. there are 3 buffet style dining options, with the same food served daily. it was honestly the worst food i've ever had. the bread and butter was the most edible thing on the menu. we ventured into one of the reservation-required restaurants and it became clear that it was the same food as the buffet but with just longer service and smaller portions. overall, there aren't many things to do either since the ocean's too rough to swim in, the pools are packed, and there aren't too many cultural sites to visit. in all, i would not recommend it as a relaxing, enriching vacation.

2  Thank wanderlust_2244
Reviewed March 4, 2004

Clean Neat Friendly, great food, especially the restaurants, very personal service, Very nice friendly entertainers made us feel at home.
The shows were great. The only downside we experienced was parts on order for the hot tub. I can't beleive how inexpensive it was compaired to the great service. The most all enclusive all enclusive we've been to. The guest services people were checked up on us several times a day to see if there was anything we needed. The tours were marvelous.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#13 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!