“Beautiful location but not worth the money for all-inclusive...”

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Orion, IL
Reviewed March 3, 2004

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Mexico. We stayed 4 nights at RS and I have to say that the hotel and beach were beautiful.
The hotel is very clean and well kept. The beach goes on for miles. We also saw whales from our balcony almost daily which was the highlight of our stay!

Now the bad - The hotel itself leaves a lot to be desired for an all-inclusive - we have been to a few in the Carribean and they were wonderful - good food, excellent service, many activities for all ages, etc. but this hotel had none of that. The food was bad and we are not that picky! We tried breakfast daily which is not so great unless you like waffles every day (food is inexplicably cold before it even gets to the table from the buffet) and lunch at the pool grill and buffet are not good. Even the cheese for the nachos was runny/watered down and tasted kind of like honey mustard salad dressing. Needless to say after these experiences, we did not even attempt supper at the resort (heard from other disappointed guests that there was a 3 hour wait for food at both restaurants/it was bad after they got it/& most of the time one of the two were closed due to a private party) so instead we ended up eating off premise in either Los Cabos or San Jose Del Cabo (if you are here - go to the Tulip Tree - good food!). This was a real disappointment since we did not budget for eating out daily and the $$$ expensive transportation to/from the resort to these areas. There is a 4 hr $20 round trip shuttle that goes to Los Cabos which is nice but you can not go early and come back late - it is in 4 hr time frames with the latest being a round trip from 4 to 9 pm. (If you want to return after 9, it's a cab ride at $35 one way.) If you have been to Cabo, you know that this is way early if you want to party in town at Cabo Wabo or Squid Roe. They don't even start up until you have to return to the RS and there is nothing to do there when you do return.
The most fun we had was the last night in the Sports Bar with Alberto a.k.a Antonio Banderos - look him up if you visit because he was the ONLY staff that wanted to have a good time and served a decent drink.
Thanks Alberto!!

Also, take lots of $1 & $5 dollar bills for tipping (all inclusive????). You will need them at the resort and when you visit the other areas.

In closing - beware of the time share push. Unless you are interested (and they try very hard) you are not going to receive very fair service. We even had a "guest services" woman tell us "oh no it's you two again" when we asked to sign up for a shuttle to Cabo. They did not appreciate that we would not take 3 + hrs of our time to tour hotels etc just to receive free stuff.

We may return to Mexico but it will be in Los Cabos by the Marina, which is beautiful and has many nice hotels.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,920)

Reviewed March 2, 2004

Upon arriving at the Royal Solaris, we were very pleased with the overall look of the place. Seeing the large lobby overlooking an impressive pool made us think we were in for a real treat over the next 6 days. When we entered the lobby we were immediately introduced to a staff member who would be our "personal concierge" during our stay. Although she was quite nice and explained how the resort was laid out etc......, The quick sell on time-share possibilities and benefits of membership with the RS club should of been our first indicator that something was "no-bueno". After being shown our room, which was mediocre and smelled stale, we ventured out for our first "dining" experience at RS. The food was almost inedible. EVERYTHING tasted the same. By the 3rd day, we did not eat at the hotel anymore except for breakfast. The only palatable food was the breakfast buffet. The bar service was great- IF and only IF- you tipped them pretty regularly. The bar drinks, however, were poor. My husband ordered a martini and was served what looked like dirty pool water in a plastic toddler's cup. Every drink was served in these "glasses" -even WINE!!! I would have preferred a disposable cup! The spa service was a joke. I got a $90 "manicure/pedicure" and all I got was some lotion put on my hands and feet and then wrapped in a plastic bag and left for 30 minutes. The only positives at RS are the architecturally pleasing structure and layout of the resort, the large pool, and the fact that better food and drinks are only a short drive from the resort.

• Stayed: August 2003
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed February 26, 2004

We just returned from a week's stay at the Royal Solaris. We traveled with 5 other couples after booking the trip last July. We as a group we had a very good time traveling to the area, we would not recommend this resort to anyone. Here are our reasons why: 1) Three out of six rooms were not ready when we arrived at almost 3:00 pm. Although check in time is stated as 2:00 pm, two out of six couples waited past 5:00 for our rooms. Our host, Pedro, had plenty of excuses and mostly false promises about when the rooms would be ready. Also, although our reservation clearly stated that an oceanview was not guaranteed, we did not receive an oceanview room and it seems like a booking in July would have reserved one. Pedro promised for three days in a row to move us to a more desirable room with no delivery. So we spent the week overlooking the concrete roof facing the street. Very annoying. 2) We had no idea the resort was partly time shares. There seemed to be a large amount of the staff's time spent hard selling guests to purchase these time shares. Although we were never approached about purchasing a time share, every guest was given a wrist band. The color of the wrist band signified the level of guest we were and our blue bands seemed to label us as second class. The VIP members were given more attention, had private events and even seemed to get better service from the cocktail waiters/waitresses at the pool. 3) The food and food service was TERRIBLE. We had to beg for coffee at the breakfast buffet and the tables were always sticky with syrup. The buffet at the pool with its soggy french fries and runny cheese was mediocre at best. Dinner at Pancho's and Marco Polo's took 2 hours, even when we asked the servers for more prompt service because we had an excursion planned for 9:00 pm. The food was overcooked, cold and tasteless. The service was very poor. We had to beg for drinks, rolls, butter to go with them and refills of our water glasses. Food was brought out sporadically so we all were not eating at the same time, even when we ordered the same item from the menu. And, the menu never changed all week. The same few salads, entrees and desserts were offered every night. 4)The hotel was very crowded the week we were there. The guests developed a ridiculous game of placing towels on the pool chaise lounges before breakfast in the morning (to the point of being downright vicious about it). This procedure seemed to give that guest the right to the chaise for the entire day. Some chaises went unoccupied for hours while we (because we didn't get up at 5:00 am and play the game) had to use the chairs the farthest from the bar and away from the pool. In a week's time, I believe the pool wait staff brought me all of three drinks. The rest I had to go myself and get from the bar. Security should have done something about the pool chaise game. Seems that the guests made the rules as they went along. 5) Instead of kegs and soda fountains at the bars, the bartenders often served both beer and coke from a bottle. Often times, the bottle had been open for so long that there was no carbonation left. My husband resorted to insisting that they always open a fresh bottle so as to avoid being served FLAT drinks. Even the bartenders professed that the management was "cheap". 6) The public bathrooms were not clean and rarely had toilet paper. 7) As stated in an earlier review, the hot tub was filthy. So much so that we didn't get back in it after the first day. Finally, although all these items alone might seem petty, our overall impression of the hotel was negative. We'll go back to Cabo but we won't stay at the Royal Sonesta ever again.

• Stayed: February 2004
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 24, 2004

My husband and I are veterans travelers to numberous all-inclusives in the Caribbean and in Mexico. We have just returned from Royal Solaris Los Cabos. An unbiased review..

The property was very clean, rooms were nice (for Mexico), housekeeping was very good and the staff were very friendly & attentive. A quick advisory about the showers in your bath - the hot/cold handles are backwards in many of the rooms. We went with a large party and some of us took cold showers until we were advised of the backwards handles!!

The food is poor quality, with a few exceptions. Breakfast was the best meal of the day, so don't miss it. In the two sit-down restaurants, the food was hit or miss - the salad, soup and desert courses were excellent but the entrees were inedible. (Tough beef, questionable fish, chicken that actually tasted like fish. Hmmm...) The snack bar by the pool was horrible. Hot dogs (inedible) and hamburgers everyday, pizza with sliced hotdogs instead of pepperoni or sausage. Very strange. Most of the courses on the buffet meals were vegetarian, and some of them were great, but again its hit or miss. If you do attend the dinner show, don't miss the sauteed shrimp - you will wait in line 30 minutes to get them, but they are worth it!

Do not go with the expectation of enjoying good drinks. The beer was local, cold and drinkable, but the mixed drinks were watered down and very questionable. The wines were horrible (but then I am a wine snob!). If you wanted a decent drink with top shelf liquor, it is available for $4 per drink at the lobby bar only.

The entertainment was slim. We were very disappointed in the lobby entertainment - you would think that they would have great entertainment on the week end nights, but it consisted of a dj playing slow songs starting at 10PM. Not very festive. The sports bar was alot of fun, but gets crowded quickly.

We opted for some spa time while the men golfed nearby. Overall the spa was clean, the women were very well trained. My massage would have been better had they not bathed me in too much oil, but I was definitely relaxed after the experience!

By far, the best experience I had at the Royal Solaris was meeting the other guests! We met some wonderful people and had a great time blending new friends into our large group.

It was definitely a Mexico experience. Most all-inclusive resorts in Mexico are average at best. This was average.

2  Thank SDSunlover
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed February 23, 2004

We spent 4 nights at the Royal Solaris over the long President's Day Week-end. We loved the location, but found the hotel lacking in many ways. Food usually isn't an issue with us and we found the quality and the variety to be average. The biggest problem we found was being out of sync with when they were actually offering food, especially late at night after returning from an evening in town or after an afternoon out and about. A few days we had popcorn for a few meals since there was absolutely nothing else available. Aside from the food, our other major issue was the unreliable warm water; between the two of us, we each only had one shower that would be considered comfortably warm. Water pressure was fine - we just got tired of shivering through a shower!
The outdoor jacuzzi/spa was always lukewarm at best and slightly chilly, also. Most everything was very clean, except that jacuzzi had definitely had too many bodies in it all day long and needed more chemicals to counteract the murky water. We never could relax by the poolside due to the constant and obnoxious "entertainment" - that p.a.
system was loud! In order to read or talk to each other, we had to head to the beach for some peace and quiet. It is a fabulous beach, though and worth experiencing fully before the area becomes any more developed. We didn't take the hotel staff's advice on their pricey shuttle service into Cabo San Lucas; instead we walked the 6 blocks to the bus stop, paid 16 pesos (about $1.50) for a one-way trip to San Lucas. The bus was fairly modern, comfortable, and speedy, even with the stops and it was a good way to mix with the locals. People, especially the Mexican men, were extremely polite on the bus to us tourists. Never had a bit of concern and we were on the bus in the morning, afternoon, evening, and after dark. There are less nice buses (old, clunky school-bus look-a-likes) that will zip you into downtown San Jose del Cabo for only 5 pesos one way. It's a good deal if you're in a hurry or have sore feet; the ride isn't as comfortable as the bus into Cabo San Lucas, though. They stop right outside the front entrance to Royal Solaris. We are looking forward to returning to the Cabo area, but after evaluating the hotel, not necessarily at the Royal Solaris.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 21, 2004

Well lets begin with our non-stop flight that definately wasn't non-stop from Toronto to Los Cabos !!!!A flight that should have taken maybe 5 hours took over 8 hours. So once we arrived at the "Airport" you just want to leave .... never mind red light green light games .... we were one of the lucky ones and had "GREEN LIGHT" ....The "Sky Service" flight was horrible we were suppose to have a movie and they said there was no "Audio" on the plane .... well sure enough there was .... so no movie no extra drinks or food and stop over to get fuel.Are you thinking this vacation is going to be a right off .... absoultely not.We had the most "AMAZING" time and would go back in a heart beat except the other 6 teens that went with us .... the day time is you like "Beach Volleyball & Games Room" is absolutely fantastic.The evenings have "ABSOLUTELY" nothing to do for older kids / teens. This was "MARCH BREAK" as well so as many kids as there were no "DISCO" as advised in the brouchure and no "MINI GOLF" as advised in the brouchure .... these two things have been removed from the brochure now.The place was breath taking the people always friendly and happy and what can I say about the food especially their "RIBS" if you like/love "RIBS" that's all you will eat during the day.No one got sick and we took everything with us.Now the "Seagulls" are definatley a problem but just don't leave your food lying around and you won't have any problems at all.If you don't have an "AMAZING" time I don't know what you are looking for because no one could be any more picker than me and immaculate was the rooms and place you could eat off the floors.Now the water and wave are a little rough just be careful and don't let the kids go in on their own.We had a blast with the vendors on the beach .... barder barder barder they love it and won't let walk away .... that was the highlight our our teens day along with lots and lots of "Beach Volleyball"Have a blast and enjoy the nice dry non humid weather .... I sure did ....

• Stayed: March 2003
1  Thank SharAurora
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 18, 2004

I guess I'm re-stating what has been said in so many other reviews. It is a nice, well maintained vacation spot, but the food has something to be desired.I spent five days and nights at the Royal Solaris. By the fourth day, I could not eat another bite of the RS food. Thankfully, I'd brought some granola bars etc so that held me over until I got back to the U.S. (never knew McDonalds could taste so good). Maybe I'm a wimp because my wife and her friend kept on eating the food until the bitter end.The staff at the Royal Solaris is very pleasant and seem to try really hard. Those folks work a lot of hours.Other comments: 1.) the pool is a nice place to hang out 2.) there is not a swimming beach. 3.) lots of rednecks from the U.S. at RS, 4.) good sports bar if you are up for a lengthy hike down the beach, 5.) resort is a long way from downtown Cabo San Lucas.Overall, I enjoyed my trip and I'm sure you will too. I had some stomach problems after I returned home. Of course I am always queasy after a Mexico trip so I've come to expect it.Happy traveling.