“Loved Cabo - not so sure about the Royal Solaris”

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Ranked #19 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved Cabo - not so sure about the Royal Solaris”
Reviewed February 23, 2004

We spent 4 nights at the Royal Solaris over the long President's Day Week-end. We loved the location, but found the hotel lacking in many ways. Food usually isn't an issue with us and we found the quality and the variety to be average. The biggest problem we found was being out of sync with when they were actually offering food, especially late at night after returning from an evening in town or after an afternoon out and about. A few days we had popcorn for a few meals since there was absolutely nothing else available. Aside from the food, our other major issue was the unreliable warm water; between the two of us, we each only had one shower that would be considered comfortably warm. Water pressure was fine - we just got tired of shivering through a shower!
The outdoor jacuzzi/spa was always lukewarm at best and slightly chilly, also. Most everything was very clean, except that jacuzzi had definitely had too many bodies in it all day long and needed more chemicals to counteract the murky water. We never could relax by the poolside due to the constant and obnoxious "entertainment" - that p.a.
system was loud! In order to read or talk to each other, we had to head to the beach for some peace and quiet. It is a fabulous beach, though and worth experiencing fully before the area becomes any more developed. We didn't take the hotel staff's advice on their pricey shuttle service into Cabo San Lucas; instead we walked the 6 blocks to the bus stop, paid 16 pesos (about $1.50) for a one-way trip to San Lucas. The bus was fairly modern, comfortable, and speedy, even with the stops and it was a good way to mix with the locals. People, especially the Mexican men, were extremely polite on the bus to us tourists. Never had a bit of concern and we were on the bus in the morning, afternoon, evening, and after dark. There are less nice buses (old, clunky school-bus look-a-likes) that will zip you into downtown San Jose del Cabo for only 5 pesos one way. It's a good deal if you're in a hurry or have sore feet; the ride isn't as comfortable as the bus into Cabo San Lucas, though. They stop right outside the front entrance to Royal Solaris. We are looking forward to returning to the Cabo area, but after evaluating the hotel, not necessarily at the Royal Solaris.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,296)
Aurora
Reviewed February 21, 2004

Well lets begin with our non-stop flight that definately wasn't non-stop from Toronto to Los Cabos !!!!A flight that should have taken maybe 5 hours took over 8 hours. So once we arrived at the "Airport" you just want to leave .... never mind red light green light games .... we were one of the lucky ones and had "GREEN LIGHT" ....The "Sky Service" flight was horrible we were suppose to have a movie and they said there was no "Audio" on the plane .... well sure enough there was .... so no movie no extra drinks or food and stop over to get fuel.Are you thinking this vacation is going to be a right off .... absoultely not.We had the most "AMAZING" time and would go back in a heart beat except the other 6 teens that went with us .... the day time is you like "Beach Volleyball & Games Room" is absolutely fantastic.The evenings have "ABSOLUTELY" nothing to do for older kids / teens. This was "MARCH BREAK" as well so as many kids as there were no "DISCO" as advised in the brouchure and no "MINI GOLF" as advised in the brouchure .... these two things have been removed from the brochure now.The place was breath taking the people always friendly and happy and what can I say about the food especially their "RIBS" if you like/love "RIBS" that's all you will eat during the day.No one got sick and we took everything with us.Now the "Seagulls" are definatley a problem but just don't leave your food lying around and you won't have any problems at all.If you don't have an "AMAZING" time I don't know what you are looking for because no one could be any more picker than me and immaculate was the rooms and place you could eat off the floors.Now the water and wave are a little rough just be careful and don't let the kids go in on their own.We had a blast with the vendors on the beach .... barder barder barder they love it and won't let walk away .... that was the highlight our our teens day along with lots and lots of "Beach Volleyball"Have a blast and enjoy the nice dry non humid weather .... I sure did ....

• Stayed March 2003
1 Thank SharAurora
Reviewed February 18, 2004

I guess I'm re-stating what has been said in so many other reviews. It is a nice, well maintained vacation spot, but the food has something to be desired.I spent five days and nights at the Royal Solaris. By the fourth day, I could not eat another bite of the RS food. Thankfully, I'd brought some granola bars etc so that held me over until I got back to the U.S. (never knew McDonalds could taste so good). Maybe I'm a wimp because my wife and her friend kept on eating the food until the bitter end.The staff at the Royal Solaris is very pleasant and seem to try really hard. Those folks work a lot of hours.Other comments: 1.) the pool is a nice place to hang out 2.) there is not a swimming beach. 3.) lots of rednecks from the U.S. at RS, 4.) good sports bar if you are up for a lengthy hike down the beach, 5.) resort is a long way from downtown Cabo San Lucas.Overall, I enjoyed my trip and I'm sure you will too. I had some stomach problems after I returned home. Of course I am always queasy after a Mexico trip so I've come to expect it.Happy traveling.

London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2004

We (married couple in our late 30's) just got back from a two week stay at the R.S. Jan 2004. There are many great things about this resort.
The location is breathtaking and there is no limit to the number and type of tours/trips that can be taken in the Los Cabos area. The rooms are basic (unless you manage to get one of the better Time Share rooms) but clean and the hotel is well taken care of both inside and out. The shower had great water pressure and never had an issue with hot water supply. Upon arrival you are given a schedule of activities for the week which includes details on which restarutants will be open which nights. This is important as it is never the same two nights in a row.
There are two a la carte restaurants, Pancho's (Mexican) and Marco Polo's (swithces between two menus-Italian or Int'l). Marco Polo's always has issues with regard to getting a table so go early or be prepared to wait. No reservations. There are lots of warnings about the beach but we went swimming and had a great time with the huge waves and never felt like we were going to be swept out to sea! The waves are big enough that I wouldn't suggest it safe for children. Going in January was a mixed blessing as it was amazing to see the whales (they could even be spotted from the hotel) but the weather was cool, with the wind and clouds I would even call it cold. We needed more warm clothes than we had brought. The beach vendors did a booming business selling jackets. It also made it difficult to have a warm meal at the outside restaurants as everything was cold in less than 5 mins. There are no rocks anywhere on the beach but I would recommend water shoes as the sand is course in areas and can be difficult to walk on. It goes on forever though so lots of opportunities for long beach walks. The sports bar-beneath the lobby-is very underutilized. The variety of drinks was amazing! Everything from scratch. Both the pool bar (opens at 9 am) and the lobby bar have featured drinks daily to give you ideas of what to try. The beer on tap is Tescate but every bar has Sol in bottles if you ask for it. You won't find any Corona at the hotel. The time share thing is a bit of an issue and the hotel itself is one of the worst offenders. We just kept saying No Gracias. Some positive features are that you can sign out an unlimited number of towels daily (I recommend an extra one to use as a cushion as the plastic chairs get hard after a long day of sitting), waiters that walk around the pool area taking drink orders, the popcorn at the poolside lunch buffet and the coolers of bottled water. (We had our own water bottles which we kept refilling). There is a variety store across the street from the hotel which sells supplies at half the cost of the hotel store. It's worth the effort. We were also surprised to find there was a true Hot Tub outside which is kept quite hot as well as a Jacuzzi in the Spa area (you can use for free) which is large, indoors and not kept as hot. The exercise room (also in the Spa area) looked to be equipped with high end equip all in working order. We would recommend this hotel and the area. If you are flying Skyservice from Toronto expect to be delayed and inconvenienced. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions about the hotel or things to do in the Cabo area. Rebecca & Steve.

8 Thank SBTRIP
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2004

We decided to venture to the Royal Solaris in Los Cabos, as we had so much enjoyed our trip to the Royal Solaris Caribe in Cancun last year.
We arrived on New Year's Eve, and my one complaint would be that we had a very-long wait at check-in, only to have our room not be ready ( they did tell us to expect this however). When we did get to our room, we were very impressed- great ocean view with a private balcony, large bathroom, and very clean. I have heard so many complaints about the food.....but we thought it was quite good (and my husband is very picky). We chose to dine at the a la carte restaurants in the evening, and the food was always fresh, and there was a lot to choose from. The outdoor BBQ was also quite nice, and the wait staff were excellent. We quite enjoyed the room service in the morning...what could be nicer than enjoying your morning coffee overlooking the beautiful Sea of Cortez? San Jose Del Cabo is a charming town, and we preferred the more quiet, tranquil setting here, than the very commercial Cabo San Lucas (definitely worth visiting though). We also had the golf package, which is an excellent deal - the course is just a short walk away, and was enjoyable for my husband, who is a seasoned golfer, and myself ( just a beginner).We would definitely return to the Royal Solaris in the future, and wouldn't hesitate to bring our children either.

1 Thank AJHStratford_Ontario
Bandon, OR & Los Barriles, MX
Reviewed January 14, 2004

We are currently AT the Solaris and have been since Saturday, the 10TH.
We (4 adults) certainly don't know how anyone could come here and not be happy. The grounds, accommodations and service are excellent and the food is always very good and LOTS of it. The drinks flow endlessly. You are always greeted by the staff and treated like you are the most important item on their agenda for the day. The entertainment is also very good. The pools are great. It has rained every day since we've arrived but yet everyone is still happy and having a great time.

We are time share owners at Sol Mar, Melia and Misiones del Cabo and come down every month or so in the winter. We have exchanged into the Solaris again next month and are happy with our choice. We all keep asking each other how someone could not be happy here. We have not found the answer as of yet.

If I personally was going to complain about anything, it would be that we don't have a great view from our room and our balcony is small and obstructed.

1 Thank Chica
Reviewed January 10, 2004

We had an amazing time!! The place is really immaculate and they are constantly working all day to make sure it stays that way! I was apprehensive when I read some reviews about various problems but I am so glad we went there! I have a few things to say to defend the resort to you people who are easily influenced by bad press: Okay, First of all... the people who complain about the food must be picky people who are afraid of Mexican Food!! The resort is in MEXICO!!! Of course the food is different and if it bothers you that much, eat somewhere else like an Italin or American place! Now I know people will say, ''but its supposed to be all included and its a waste if I go out to eat.'' But I say, you can DRINK in a night what your room+food+drinks+tax&tips cost at this resort so there is really nothing to gripe about. Also, we were there at Christmas and I have heard SO MANY bad things from other guests but anyone who has ever been Christmas shopping knows... you may have to wait for things.. its CHRISTMAS TIME!! People who go away at Christmas should expect the hotels to be out of things sometimes (there are 400 rooms..) and cut them some slack. I heard people say the resort is not kid friendly but my little girls had a great time with Dora (the teacher) and she even remembered them at night during the shows! There were lots of things for them to do so they weren`t bored and my husband and I got some alone time. There were people who will aproach you about timeshare but they aren't pushy and we actually went to the presentation and even there they weren't too pushy! They have everything from volleyball to spa treatments to tours like ATV`s or snorkeling trips. Okay, my bottom line, My husband, kids, and I had a great time there, the dinner food was good, breakfast was amazing, lots of lunch and snack choices for the kids, the drinks awesome, the entertainment and shows were incredible.. I highly recommend it!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#31 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!