“The perfect escape for our honeymoon!”

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Ranked #21 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed March 21, 2013

In the middle of another cold January in Colorado, my husband shared his highly contagious desire to make our way to a sunny beach for spring break! On a student budget, and not wanting the chaos of a party town, I did some research and stumbled upon a stellar Living Social deal for four nights at Royal Solaris Los Cabos.

From the time we checked in to the day we bid farewell to Mexico, we had a wonderful stay. I quickly realized that I needed to contribute another positive review that would encourage others to consider booking their next vacation with Royal Solaris.

Upon our arrival, I was slightly apprehensive, as I read some highly critical reviews of this resort. Once we completed the check in process, we were greeted by our concierge, Marina B. After offering drinks of our choosing, she spent a few minutes reviewing the property and our entertainment options. Marina was always available to help whenever we had a question or wanted to make a reservation. We decided to take her recommendation to have dinner at the Sunset da Mona Lisa on our first night. The open-air atmosphere, with a view of the Cabo coastline, and spectacular menu makes this restaurant a "must." **Travelers beware: Taxi rides to Cabo are $37, ONE WAY. This made for a pricey dinner, scuba excursion, etc. If you are traveling during daytime, taking a walk to the MEGA Supermarket and catching a bus into town will save you a significant amount of cash. The bus fare from San Jose to Cabo is only about $3.00 USD.**

We also decided to accept Marina's invitation to sit in on the 90-minute timeshare presentation. Twice a week, the resort staff puts on a themed dinner that is included for members of the resort. For those who want to attend, tickets can be purchased for $45 pp. By committing to the time share presentation, we were able to attend the Caribbean Night for free. Of course, "there is no such thing as a free lunch," but the live band did a great job, the juggling/ dance team put on an entertaining show and the food was pretty tasty! We loved watching people head to the dance floor to Salsa or slow dance. In addition to our dinner admission, I was lured in by the 50-minute Swedish massage on the beach for 50 minutes. The regular rate is $80 USD, but for the price of what we would pay in Colorado with our discount, it was worth it. My husband had never had a massage before, so we really enjoyed laying side-by-side, falling asleep to the sound of the waves on the shore.

Before I move along, I think it's important to address the fact that the Royal Solaris is not only a public resort, but also timeshare hotel. From many of the reviews, some have decided to commit to 30 years with this company. This is a beautiful destination and the hotel is very nice. However, my husband is in his first year of Medical School and we are, in no way, looking to make a financial investment into a time share property. In addition, we hope to venture to other places on the globe over the next 30 years of our lifetime together! If you do not want to say, "YES!" and "TODAY!" to the sales team. . . prepare yourself. If you are told the presentation will only last 90-minutes, hold them to it. They will try to tell you that you need to commit to more time, but we were anxious to get back to the beach on our last full day in San Jose, not sit and listen to a pushy sales guy with his calculated pitch. The sales room is completely overwhelming. With club music blaring from the overhead speakers, everyone was trying to talk over one another. There were probably eight other presentations occurring in the same space. Once we answered all their questions, listened to what RCI has to offer and politely rejected their offer, we had to sit with one more salesman who was there to "ensure quality." It was simply one last attempt to get us to sign on the dotted line. So, if you are willing to endure, or are truly interested in joining the Royal Solaris family, go ahead and book a time for the presentation. We felt that the discounts were worth it.

Okay, on to what everyone REALLY wants to know: How is the room quality? A few of the other reviewers recommended checking out the room upon arrival and heading straight back to the front desk, if you are looking for something different. The first room we were assigned was nice and we could see some of the beach, if we stepped out onto our balcony. For our honeymoon, "nice" wasn't what we were looking for. For an additional charge of $30 USD per night, we upgraded to another room. With a larger balcony, jetted outdoor jacuzzi tub, and a view overlooking the courtyard, pool, and beach, it felt like something out of a magazine. The bathrooms were very clean and our room was serviced daily to our satisfaction. (The water pressure in the sink and shower was GREAT - this is usually one of the first things I appreciate about a hotel room.) Another point I was slightly worried about was the firmness of the mattress. Many have complained that the mattresses are too firm. Sure, it wasn't our Beautyrest King Size that we have at home, but we happened to sleep very comfortably each night, waking at the crack of dawn to catch the breathtaking sunrise.

If you travel during the early spring season, you may be blessed to see a number of whales - right from your breakfast table. We watched these magnificent creatures surface each day and one afternoon, we were overwhelmed when a mama and baby jumped out of the water about four times each and slapped their fins. How many people have the opportunity to see such a display in their lifetime, only a few hundred feet from their beach lounger? I literally teared up. AMAZING. If you notice what you think could be fish or birds jumping out of the water, flapping wildly and then crashing back into the sea, you spotted the manta rays. We had no idea that they were capable of reaching such heights, but when we noticed their silhouettes in the waves, our hypothesis was confirmed. We laughed almost every time we saw one jump. They look ridiculous!

Another important vacation aspect: food. Our advice is to enjoy breakfast and any snacks/ lunches you may want at the resort. It's all-inclusive, so take advantage of it! Lucy is the sweetest person on the property and makes a tasty omelet. (Tip: Ask for "mas queso" if you like to taste your cheese.) We were impressed by the fresh fruit at the breakfast buffet and felt like little kids while eating a freshly made churro with cinnamon as a treat. Be sure to arrive to breakfast early so you can snag a patio table. The view of the sea is fantastic. (Don't forget to watch for whales!) It's true that the buffet options change very little (if at all) from day-to-day, but we didn't mind over the course of five days. Besides, there are other restaurants to explore! Our most favorite spot during our trip was Flora's Farm. This open-air restaurant touts a farm-to-table experience where they make their bread, pasta, 25 different flavors of bitters, and banana cream pie (with fresh mint) in house. The vegetables were delectable and the service was top-notch. After your meal, plan to peruse the garden. The sunflowers are as big as your head and even the bathrooms are worth a visit. If you have room in your suitcase, or want some snacks for another day at the beach, there is fresh produce, canned goods, and bread for sale. It would be quite the journey by foot, but the cab ride to this secluded gem is a quick jaunt. Another San Jose recommendation is Mi Casa. At yet another open-air restaurant (see a theme yet?), we savored the authentic flavor of our mole dishes. Steer clear of the "special tequila" margaritas, unless you are prepared to pay $25 USD (without warning) for a sub-par drink. We could barely even taste the tequila. When my husband asked to see their reserve tequilas to experience what "top shelf" tequila means in Mexico, he also asked how much it would be for one shot. $22 USD. At that moment, we were only imagining how much our tab would be, thanks to our beverage decision.

The restaurants lining the marina in Cabo San Lucas are all about the same. If you are ever in the mood for a beer, some chips and guac, or an oven-baked pizza. . . your goldmine awaits. It's nothing to write home about, but it is convenient after a day of walking the shops or scuba diving.

In an attempt to wrap up this review, I leave you with one last recommendation, should your travel plans include a trip to San Jose: reserve your Thursday evening to explore the Art District of San Jose del Cabo (www.artcabo.com). The downtown area comes alive as the local artists open their gallery doors! We were fortunate enough to catch Frank Arnold's wife the next morning and she invited us in to tour their beautiful home - including Frank's studio space and gallery.

Leave the party to the Cabo San Lucas crew and escape to San Jose del Cabo! (You will thank me later.)

Room Tip: Before you unpack your bags, check out your assigned room. If you desire something different, just...
2  Thank DeAnza J
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for your expedient review. We are so glad you enjoyed the breakfast, the location and the Spa services!, and we pride ourselves on thoroughly excellent customer service.

We invite you back for your next trip to Los Cabos.

^G

Write a ReviewReviews (6,039)

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We really liked our partial ocean view room. When checking in, I asked for an upgrade to an Ocean-View, but there were none available. The room we got turned out to be just fine. We had about a 40% view of ocean, and from there we saw whales, jumping fish, fireworks and the sunrise. We both enjoyed the sound of the pounding, turbulent waves which lulled us to sleep on a fine kingsize. There was abundant water pressure and hot water. The only thing we did not appreciate was the lack of a door separating the throne from the rest of the bathroom. The place was spotless as was the whole complex. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The price for internet connection in your room was too high ($15 a day), but the connection in the lobby was free but very slow. We liked the food, especially the variety; one reviewer complained about the lack of spice, but the buffet did provide separate spicy sauces.

1  Thank 21larryjg
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for your considerate review of your stay with us.

We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed the food, service, and location of the hotel. We value your opinion, and are always looking for ways we can improve the guest experience.
We hope you stay with us again during your next trip to the area.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Club Solaris for the fifth time. This visit was just as wonderful as the first. We are going back in June for a family trip. Can't wait! A big thank you to Armando Flores, the representative who was with us on our first trip. He always welcomes us with open arms.
Fredelyn Christian, Fort Worth, TX

1  Thank Fredelyn

Thank you for the wonderful comments about your stay at Royal Solaris Los Cabos.
Our staff takes pride in providing extraordinary services to our guests. From the moment you walk through the front door until the time you depart it is our goal to have you feeling better than you did when you arrived!
It was truly a pleasure to have you with us and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The food here was the worst part. I like spicy and flavourfull food. My husband and I found it difficult to last the week (and he loves to eat). But if you like bland food- you should have no problem here. The hotel, was very clean and was located about twenty minutes from downtown Cabos. The beaches were really nice and we had a really good stay (except the food) overall. We did do dining in the city so our overall food experience was not so bad.
I am not sure I would stay here again because of our different tastes of food- but if you dont like spicy and flavour- you should have a good time here.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Harpreet B

Thanks for your feedback, we are working very hard every day to offer our guests an unforgettable holiday, regarding your comment on the food, we talked with the Executive Chef to review the matter and on your next visit you can have another opinion about our food

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I'm not sure if this is really a review or another view of the situation that occurred March 3, 2013.

My husband and I were at Royal Solaris March 4 - 11, 2013. On March 3, the entire west wing (100 rooms) lost electricity and water due to an electrical fire thus there were at least 200 people displaced.

First for my critique: I agree with other reviews that not only an evacuation plan but also a disaster recovery plan should have been in place. As an owner, I expect Royal Solaris to be run with the highest efficiency and it concerns me that the staff weren't properly prepared, that management left the entertainment, reception and concierge teams to deal with the after-math. Management may have been behind the scenes but they weren't front and centre as they should have been. I agree it's dangerous for there to be no fire alarms. Back-up lighting is relatively different as it would depend where the wiring is placed for the generators but they could be battery-operated like the smoke detectors. I don't place blame on the staff, though. This is a Corporate matter and they should ensure all of their guests feel 100% safe. I'm unsure what the standards are in Mexico, but because a large portion of their guests are from Canada & the US, they should strive to meet the standards their guests are accustomed.

Now for the applause: When we arrived the atmosphere was absolutely hostile. The front staff were doing their best to appease the guests but to no avail. I've read on this site where people went to "argue" their case. Maybe that was their first downfall. Arguing will never get you anywhere. As members, yes, a room was ready for us upon check-in. We normally check-in at a different location than the front desk. Because of the fire, it was reception where we checked in. We were actually concerned about receiving our wrist-bands in front of everyone in the event they became even more angry, it was really that bad.

We learned that Solaris tried to place all the guests in a neighbouring hotel. It was on the beach, same amenities, the hotel had enough rooms for everyone and the guests could even keep their wrist-bands for Solaris. The problem is that the hotel is never at capacity and didn't have the staff to take care of all the extra people. The rooms hadn't been aired out for months and the guests couldn't be guaranteed proper service. Can you imagine if Solaris had placed the guests there? This was just one hotel Solaris tried to contact and it was during Spring Break....

Two days later, we were thinking of our situation and checked to see if our friends, who were arriving the next day, would have a room at Solaris. We were told "No", that they would be placed in Cabo San Lucas. For several reasons, this didn't work for us so we came up with a different solution. My husband and I would give our room to our friends and the hotel would place us in one of the Ocean Front rooms with no power or water and on the ground floor so we could get to a washroom faster. We would shower in either our friends room or in the hospitality showers. We love this hotel so much, this was the sacrifice we were willing to make. Before anyone asks, no, we didn't ask for compensation and none was offered. We had a choice of everyone staying elsewhere but we accepted the conditions so it's on us. The next day we packed everything up ready to change rooms. We went to the front to get our new room and keys and were told they found another room for us so no one had to be put out. I believe we were accomodated because we were willing to work with them. There was no yelling or screaming and there was understanding and respect for the other's position (as if they want this to happen).

I understand when you save for a trip and something like this happens that it's upsetting but what we witnessed was completely unfair to the staff, as well. They did the best they could, under the circumstances. The entertainment staff were amazing, the servers were always there to help, the cleaners always had a smile and "Hola" for you when you walked past. That's what you can't buy.

I'd like to give special thanks to Jose Romero, Claudia, Ana, Zoe, Ramon, and Angel. These people and the rest of the staff, are the reason we've visited Solaris for the past six years and why we'll continue to go in future years.

(I didn't give five rating because of the lack of evacuation plan and perceived lack of management support.)

Room Tip: Pay the extra and get ask for an Ocean Front room.
3  Thank joey1972

Thank you very much for your comment, we appreciate the good comments for the staff you mentioned, and be assured that they will receive them. Thanks for your understanding the event that happened during your stay and we hope to see you so you can have a great vacations with us!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Solaris March 2-9. Yes, we were there during the fire. While the fire was unfortunate, the resort did not appear to have an emergency preparedness plan or system to determine whether all patrons were safe. A positive outcome of this would be a much more well established plan for emergencies to ensure the safety for all. The Sports and Entertainment Team shouldered much of the responsibility for ensuring the comfort and safety of everyone during the time we waited outside and the fire and injuries were being tended to by emergency personnel - firemen and paramedics. They brought out water, food, and towels to help us stay warm. The relocation of those who could not stay due to the electrical outage was extremely frustrating. We did not have a room at a different hotel until 5 am. The resort did not seem to have good communication with area hotels or with those of us who were being relocated. Nor did the Royal Solaris seem to have a systematic means of getting us back into rooms the next day. While these events don't happen often, it is critical to have an organized process in place and people trained to implement the processes.

Ultimately, our experience at the Royal Solaris was fine. The Sports and Entertainment Team deserves most of the praise! Danny, Mickey, Pancho, Zoe, Becca, just to name a few. They are extremely talented and hard working! Very committed to making vacations memorable for everyone! The waiters and housekeeping were also to top notch - to be commended for their commitment and hard work.

Our travel agent representative on site, Jose, was also incredible. He really helped us get a room when returned the day after the fire. I also want to commend Marisol - she was at the front desk the next day. Despite dealing with many very irate patrons throughout the day, she was very helpful to me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ckochslp
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your comment, we appreciate the good comments for the entertainment team and be assured that they will receive them. Thanks for your understanding the event that happened during your stay and we hope to see you so you can have a incredible holidays!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at this all-inclusive resort at the end of January for five nights. First let me say that we have stayed at many all-inclusive resorts throughout Mexico, so my review can’t help but compare to what we have already experienced. I would rate this resort no higher than a 3-star. We had no problem booking or finding our ride at the airport to take us to the resort. Our room wasn’t ready until a little after 4, so they sent us for some lunch on the property. We did have two rooms; there were five of us traveling together. Our rooms were very outdated but they were clean and had everything we needed. No bathtubs and a very small, dark shower with terracotta tiles. There was a refrigerator in the room with limited water, pop and beer (a few of each). Other resorts stock them full!
We did enjoy the pool with the swim up bar. I don’t believe they heat the pool it was pretty cool. There were SO many bees at the swim up bar, it made it difficult to order. The poor bartender was stung several times. People do get up early and stake out their chairs with towels. My husband happens to be an early raiser so not a problem for us.
On the first day a waitress came by our chairs and took drink orders. We never had another waiter/waitress ask us again, in the 5 remaining days we were there. I don’t have a problem getting up and going to the bar for my drink (there was often a line) but I mention it because it speaks to the kind of service they offer. We did not experience this at the other resorts where we stayed. We always tip because the staff works so hard and long hours. I just don’t think they had enough staff.
Again comparing to other resorts, this resort wasn’t as clean. There was leftover garbage from the night before still on the beach the next morning and cigarette butts in many places on the grounds.
They are part of RCI and do cater to their members, special place for members to eat breakfast, parties and activities for members only. We were interested and sat through the presentation, but certainly not worth the money for us. Besides, I wasn’t aware they were part of RCI until the presentation and that’s just not our cup of tea!
Some of the food, like the Mexican restaurant, we thought was pretty good. But most of the food was pretty sub-par. There is upgraded food available but you must pay extra, so really not all-inclusive. Room service is also included, but they charge a $5.00 delivery fee every time they bring you something. (Again, not something other resorts do.) We were there for five nights and found something different to eat all five nights. Breakfast and lunch are the same every day.
They are located about a 25 minute ($45.00) cab ride into Cabo San Lucas. Worth going in for some snorkeling at the arches. All in all it was a good vacation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank bookbat1

We are grateful for your feedback, and we consider each of them thats why we appreciate you shared with other guests, and as you can read in other reviews, what distinguishes us is our service, so we hope to see you in their next visit to Los Cabos.