“Amazing!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
“Amazing!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My boyfriend an I went to the Royal Solaris Los Cabos for the Feb 25-March 4 week. I have nothing but positives to say about this resort, The resort is very clean and well groomed grounds. The food as absolutely amazing, nothing bad to be said it was a huge buffet selection of wonderful food. The staff at the resort were AMAZING! They treated us like Royalty. The entertainment crew we will remember forever. Mikey, Willie and Zoe you will be in our hearts forever thank you for the great memories. This is a vacation I will never forget thank you to the amazing Royal Solaris!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at Royal Solaris Los Cabos!
It is our goal to exceed our guest’s expectations and it seems that we have done just that with yours! Your comments have been shared with the entire staff !

We hope to see you again on your next vacations!
^G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,280)
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This is our 7th resort. We've seen the five star to the three.
I have to say that Solaris had exceptional food. The best I've had.
I knew, given the price we paid, 1600 for two from Victoria all in 7 days, we were making some concessions on the resort.
I'm pleasantly surprised.
It's a budget vacation. And exceeds
We love the 5 stars. But 1600 instead of 4000 makes Solaris a definite return.
Enjoy the beauty of this location. Get out and explore. You'll be as happy as we are with this choice.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Guests repeaters like you are the ones who really know the Solaris family as well as us, we are pleased to visit us many times and know they always welcome you with open arms.

Hope to see you soon again!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We travel often and have stayed in many 3 and 4 star all inclusive resorts. I have to say the food at the Solaris was the worst we have ever encountered. I think the main reason for that is because it is a small resort that doesn't offer enough restaurant choices, Breakfast and lunch food tasted ok but was always cold (except for the egg station). We only had 1 decent dinner and that was the beach BBQ. 3 nights we walked through the dinner buffet and then right out the door to a taxi into town for some wonderful dinners. We were never able to get reservations in Ponchos, it was closed several nights. We ate once at Marco Polo, the food was cold. We had tours planned a couple of days so we left before 9 am....no getting dinner reservations if you call in the afternoon. If food is an important part of your vacation - pick a resort with more restaurant choices. If customer service is your thing...This is the place! Every single employee was wonderful. The grounds were beautiful, I loved all the flowers. The hotel is located in the best spot in San Jose, so nice for walks into town. The beach is awesome. Plenty of chairs in the sand. The rooms are dated but clean and have everything you need. The hotel does have signs posted around the buffet that staff will be happy to heat up your plate of food....I think the food comes out of the kitchen cold...but if it is a common problem why not just bring the food out hot and turn up the steam heaters under the food? I don't get it. We didn't let the bad food ruin our vacation....we just ate the breakfast buffet and went to town 4 out of 7 nights. This hotel is priced lower then a lot of EP plan hotels...

Room Tip: rooms facing the ocean seem to more updated, Our room had a new shower door and lamps replaced while...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank herewego2005
Thank you very much for your comments and regret that during his stay he found some cold food, we talked to Executive Chef to correct this problem, and I assure you that on your next visit and will not find these inconveniences.

kelowna,b.c.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

3rd trip to royal Solaris. Arrived feb.16 and left march 02, so yes we did miss the fire. We have never been bothered by the time share folks, have always had clean rooms, and have always been treated so well by all the hotel staff. Have always found breakfast, lunch, snack shack and Marco polos food good. Not to keen on the buffets, but we always find something to eat. Beach is beautiful and clean. Only complaint- first few days there was a problem getting beach towels! Never had that happen before. I can't say enough how kind, friendly and helpful all the staff are! Thank you to all of you, in particular George our beach bar waiter, security staff- had a little personnel problem they helped with, and Gerardo the bell boy, who always greeted us with a huge smile!!!! Will be back!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
We are so grateful for considering us as your favorite destination. Thank you so much for your positive comments on our service and our restaurants.

Our commitment is to meet and exceed your expectations and special requirements to make of your stay your best “VACATION” ever.

Receive a warm greeting
Calgary Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My quick take on this resort..
Food: I found the breakfast and lunch buffets were mediocore, you could normally find something to eat but as far as quality its typical resort fare. For dinner I recommend putting in the extra effort to go to the restaurants. I had the buffet dinner one night and that was enough for me, our group went to the marco polos place every night where the food was actually pretty good. For small charges you could upgrade your meal to good cuts of meat or lobster. The lobster we very good and the NY strip steak was cooked perfectly and well worth the additional charge.

Drinks: Lobby bar was great but the one thing I would say is try to avoid the pool bar if you don’t speak Spanish or are a Mexican national. Often my party was overlooked and blatantly passed over to serve guests that had been waiting way less time but were Mexican. I have never experienced this before and a resort and at first I thought maybe they were just not noticing us but my entire group had the same comment. Certain bartenders were rather blatant about it and only served the gringos when there was no one else.
Accommodations: let’s just say the “Ocean View” was a blatant joke. One of those situations where if you stuck your head out of the balcony far enough you could maybe see a glimpse of the ocean a mile away and through the trees. Certainly not worth the additional charge. When we arrived in the room I thought they had made an mistake as the balcony looked out into the garden and outdoor plaza area below but the bellhop assured me that this was an ocean view.

General tips:
The hotel is a long way from Cabo expect $35 cab ride each way and the transport they provide fills up fast and isn’t convenient at all so factor a $70 round trip if you decide to spend some time in town.
We were there during a flood while a tropical storm parked off the coast. The hotel did its best but was falling apart with chunks of the celling falling down and mold everywhere. I left this out of my review as I feel this is a situation that they don’t encounter very often but I would be curious to see what the mold levels are like under the plaster

Room Tip: Far from town expect $35 cab ride each way watch for mould problems due to last August massive floo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank austic403
Thanks for your feedback, in Royal Solaris Los Cabos we strive every day to be better, that's why we value the opinions of our guests and we appreciate all that tells us as it helps us to improve,

Regina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My wife and I spent a week at the Royal Solaris in January 2013. It didn't start off well - long check in lines, and our room was on the first floor and smelled musty. The rooms are plain, certainly nothing to get excited about.

The resort is likely a better fit for families - there certainly were lots there! I think we were looking for something a little quieter, and we probably should have booked elsewhere as a result.

A couple of quick notes:
- swimming on the beach is discouraged because of the undertow
- the service is generally very good, although the front desk is a bit...let's say "stern". We had to pay a dollar a day for a lock for a safe. No one appreciates being nickled and dimed.
- the buffets are best avoided, especially in the evening.
- the italian restaurant is pretty good, and we had a fantastic server named "David". We HIGHLY recommend him. Seriously, we asked for him every night and were disappointed when we weren't able to sit in his section.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeremy P

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I will start off by saying that yes I was staying at the Solaris during the fire. My now fiance (got engaged while there) and I arrived on February 26th and were met by very friendly staff. Albeit some were just trying to sell you upgrades or different packages, still very nice. Our room was very clean and exactly what we had booked. Some days the food was better then others, but for an all-inclusive Mexican resort, the food was great. Most of the people that I came across that had issues with the food, were american and felt that the food was not "mexican" enough. Perhaps they were too conformed to "American" Mexican food such as Taco Time and Mucho Burrito.

On the day that I purposed, we had a couples massage on the beach. It was fantastic and could not beat the price ($90 USD for BOTH OF US!!)
Beach vendors did become rather anoying after the 3rd day or so. If your sitting on the beach, you'll have to tell them at least 3 or 4 times that you are not interested.

With regards to the fire, I was very surprised and disappointed that there were no sprinklers in this hotel. Also as the power went out, we had no audible warning in our wing of the hotel. We stepped onto our balcony and could see staff running around in panic. We yelled down to inquire as to what was happening. It was at that point another guest yelled to us that there was a fire and to evacuate. It wasn't until after we evacuated and were standing by the pool that we finally heard a fire alram, very faint sound as well. There was no emergency lighting in the hallways either, forcing me to use my cell phone as a flashlight. Since there was no fire alarm, my fiance and I were forced to try to wake up as many people as we could on our way out of the building.
We met up with our friends who were staying one floor below and one room over from where the smoke was pouring out (6th floor). They had black soot covereing their faces. They explained that they were forced to crawl on their hands and knees to evacuate.

A lot of people were complaining that the Entertainment staff were the ones relaying the information to the guests. I truely felt bad for these young people. If you had spent more then 2 days at this resort you would have noticed that the Entertainment staff had the best English skills by far over any of the other staff. I have to believe that this would be the same with the Managers. Many people attempted to take advantage of the situation and begin damanding money from the Entertainment staff. To anyone who took out your frustration and your gready heart tookover, SHAME ON YOU!! Be thankful that nobody was seriously injuried, count your blessings, and make the best of your bad situation.

Eventually we were moved to another resort in San Lucas. It was a very long night and everyone was very tired and grumpy. The next morning there was a employee from the Solaris directing guests and helping from 7am to 8pm. Very helpful and accomadating. The Solorais also arranged for our transportation to the airport from the new hotel. Very happy with that.

I could go on about many different things that were disappointing about the emergency, but my biggest problem is that the hotel is not claiming responsibliity for the incident - they won't acknowledge what happened. We saw fire, and the smoke was billowing out of what appeared to be a guest's room. The smell of the smoke indicated some sort of electrical fire. I realize that this was an accident and quite possibly unavoidbale, but at no point did anybody take responsibility for the disaster and continued to defer blame.

In conclusion, I may in the future stay at another Royal Soloris resort, providing that they upgrade their emergency response procedures and upgrade to proper fire alarm systems.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Jon K
Thank you for your comments and we are grateful to be staying at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, also want to thank your understanding regarding the incident that took the hotel during your stay. The hotel has evacuation crews and qualified personnel for such incidents, so we invite you to visit us again to show it to you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#36 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,470 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#31 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,312 reviews

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!