WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
“Awesome resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We were very pleased with the service we received during our stay. Our concierge Raphael went above and beyond to help us in everyway possible. He has become a friend and we will never forget him. We felt so safe at this resort, it is an awesome resort to bring your family. If you do decide to go, please say hello to Raphael for us. We will definately return to this resort again.
Rosalyn( The Leyte family)

Room Tip: Rooms with a kingsize beds and on the north side of the resort.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My family and I spent our first time in Cabo staying at the Royal Solaris, Solaris has been great to us in the past in Cancun and Cabo was no let down. The atmosphere was a lot more relaxed and laid back in Cabo, the service was excellent, "Alfredo" was wonderful right from the beginning. He made us feel very comfortable, really helped us to get around the resort and make sure that we didn't miss any of the great activities that the resort puts on. He made all our dinner reservations for us no problem, made our kids very much like they were important also. I will definitely request "Alfredo" to take care of us as well as anyone that we send to the resort. The updated rooms are great although next time I will request for some upgraded bedding. The room service was great, never an issue, we even left a bunch of money out one day and after the room was cleaned everything was still there. The kids water park was amazing, the entertain staff were very good, we have been to other resorts were by 10 in the morning you are wanting to throw something at them. All in all royal Solaris is a fantastic place to vacation, and no matter where you go or how my h you spend there is alway something that could be better, but for my family and I we will return to Royal Solaris Cabo with Alfredo as our representative.
Thank you Solaris and Alfredo for a great vacation. See you soon.

• Stayed February 2013
Menifee, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I booked this vacation through groupon and we've stayed at an all inclusive resort before. I am a review reader and I was very scared upon my arrival to the resort. I now vow I will not read any reviews because this place was amazing. Not only was it beautiful, but it was clean. I even saw the cleaning staff disinfecting the garbage can lids!!! I've never seen that before. We made really good friends with the bar tender and tipped him well every night ($20) and every time we'd see him or finish a drink he'd had another one waiting for us, and very strong. (Hola chay!) A lot of reviews said the drinks were weak but all you had to do was ask for a double, or make good friends with a few bartenders around the resort. The beds were very hard but we were always out late and up early so that wasn't a big deal. The towels were often out at the towel hut but if you returned them at night, they'd allow you to take new towels for the next day so you wouldn't run into a towel shortage. Getting space at the pool was difficult if you woke up late but you could go on the beach. Swimming IS ALLOWED at your own risk, there is a strong undertow but only at high tide, the resort and many people at airport said it was unswimmable but its allowed. The location of the lunch hut was perfect, we sat outside on the beach everyday and even saw whales right off shore jumping, very close! It's absolutely beautiful place.

The only down fall I would say was the food. The snack bar was great and there was always fresh fruit which was awesome, but the quality of lunch and dinner wasn't great. Breakfast and the omelette station was yummy. We did go off the resort into San Jose and went to don Sanchez, it was the best food we've had even back in the states. Delicious food, great prices, and amazing service. Everyone spoke very good English and the chef was from Canada. Great great place to go, very safe.

Lastly was the price of the taxis. My husband and I wanted to go into Cabo San lucus to shop and dine but they wanted $80 round trip for two people. It's about a 30 min can ride. It's not even that expensive to go from one end of NYC and back, so that was disappointing and we didn't go.

**TIP** if you want to go on an excursion, I recommend walking to the resort next door....they offered us the whale watching package which included transportation, food, drinks, snorkeling and gear for $55/person, this resort wanted $70.

Overall this resort was undersold to those negative review writers. To experience this place on your own. It's fun, very kid friendly, and beautiful.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra $45 to get a room with a jacuzzi! It's a beautiful view too!
Crockett, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

We were at the Royal Solaris 2/8/20013-14/2013---the hotel itself is in a great spot right on the Sea of Cortez. We found the staff to be very accommodating, especially our concierge, Sujey. She certainly enhanced our visit with her knowledge of the Hotel and it's availability of activities.
We were a bit dismayed at our initial check in as the category room we had reserved was not available and the front deck manager was NOT very helpful--kind of a too bad so sad attitude. Kept telling me that I had made the reservations through Hotwire, so they could not guarantee our room selections. I had reserved King bed, full ocean view--After changing rooms we were given a nice room with a wonderful ocean view, but it had two full size beds---Oh, well, finally gave up and accepted the arrangement---We did, however, have a really fun time and met a lot of fun Canadians and the activities at the hotel were varied and entertaining. As an all-inclusive it certainly lived up to its name. Lots of really good food and all the Waite staff were very friendly and very helpful. The reservations only restaurants were very nice too and ,there again, the staff very helpful. Had the best Mexican coffee presentation in Poncho's. Really amazing!!! Our room maid, Estala, was really great--loved the towel animals left here and there each day. Oh, and the most "entertaining" moment was when having just started to go to sleep on Valentine's Eve, I was awaken by the sounds of a Mariachi trumpet being played in the Plaza, followed by a full 10 person Mariachi band serenading us. What a shock--Went to sleep on my final night at the Royal Solaris with the sound of beautiful music---Nice finale to a very interesting week.

Room Tip: Check your reservations prior to arriving to be sure you get what you paid for!!!!!
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Travelled with my husband and kids (age 15,8, 4) for one week in January. Overall our vacation was really good. Royal Solaris was one of only a few hotels that would let us as a family of five stay in a single hotel room, which is obviously important to us as I’m not sure how we would split up. The room was nice- basic but clean. Not tons of space for a family of five but we weren’t in the room much except to sleep. We took the cheapest room which turned out to be a mountain view, which was actually really quite nice. Others in our group had taken the more expensive ocean view but it didn’t have a great view of the ocean anyways, it was more of the pool so I actually preferred ours.

Housekeeper did a good job of cleaning the room and restocking, no issues. She made little towel animals which were cute for the kids. Bed was firm but OK, however I am not picky about beds. The AC worked- a little too well. Our room was freezing cold and adjusting the dial didn’t seem to make any difference. Just turned it off after a while. Shower pressure was good. No hot water a couple of times. Kind of annoying but not going to ruin my vacation, just showered later, no problem.

Check in was pretty quick. We offered drinks while we waited which was nice as it was quite hot when we arrived.

The food was similar to other all inclusives- maybe better than some. The food at the snack bar at lunch was really quite good- we enjoyed the guacamole every day, and the burgers were good too- kids liked them. The supper buffet was OK- I found the set up a little weird and confusing though- you’d have to see it to know what I mean. I’m not sure why they don’t use the same buffet place that they use at breakfast for supper- it was larger and made more sense. I guess the point was for the dinner theater but we often didn’t stay for the show since it didn’t start until after 8 so kind of a large gap in between, for us anyways, as we tend to eat early with the kids. As for the A la Carts we ate the Spanish one once, it was pretty good food and we had the Spanish coffee which was delicious and we enjoyed to show. Didn’t get a chance to try the Italian, though I would have liked to. Making reservations was definitely a frustration. You had to call at 9 to get a reservation. If you called at 9:05 it was too late- unless you like eating at 10:00 pm- which just doesn’t work for us. I found 9 to be an inconvenient time to call- and I suspect it’s deliberately inconvenient. We were usually well out of the room by nine. Would have been better if we could call earlier or even go to the front desk. But at least the food at the buffet was pretty decent. They had different theme nights like Mexican/French/Chinese so I didn’t find that it got as repetitive as other places. Breakfast buffet was always good- my daughter bonded with Lucy, who was always so happy. Room service was good but I didn’t really like the fact that it cost $5 to order and then they seem to expect a tip on top of that. So we ordered once. They have a snack bar that opens at 10 pm which has basically the same food.

The beach was really nice and clean. Water wasn’t swimmable but good for wading. It was, however, hard to get spots under the shade. Went down at seven once and all the spots were taken. I guess you have to be a very early riser! Drink service on the beach was good. Apparently, whales could be seen from the beach. I never saw them but lots of other people did.

My kids really enjoyed the kids pool and the waterslides. It was nice that they had loungers there for the parents as well. It seemed to get more sun there than the other pool, so we spent a lot of time here. Our kids didn’t go to the kids club much- not the hotels fault- our kids are just clingy, but the people in it did seem very nice.

One thing that annoyed me a little was that my kids seemed to get ignored when they went to get drinks at the bar. I know they are not tippers- but I paid good money for their vacation package and I think they should be able to get a drink when they need one- especially after being in the sun almost all day. Except for the lobby bar- everyone there was really good and quick to bring drinks- even for the kids- so that was nice. We went to Karaoke night and it was fun. The entertainment staff do a good job and they work really hard.

We saw one show which was some kind of cinema themed show where they did songs from different movies. It was really well done. The kids were enthralled by the dancing.
All things considered, it was a really good vacation. The kids had a lot of fun and the week went so fast! I liked the weather in Los Cabos, the food and the pools. I am not sure that I would return here, just because I like to try new places, but otherwise, ya for sure why not?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank motherofthree_10
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Ignacio "Nacho" Alvarez went the extra mile to assure we had a most enjoyable stay.
Even when he was sick he was still making sure everything was being taken care of.
Nacho deserves a raise Royal Solaris.
Overall, the rooms were very clean and bright. Service was excellent. Food was OK
"Members Only" activities did make me feel a bit like a second class citizen, though.
Overall, good value for the money.

1 Thank blakegestalt
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The main draw when we booked our vacation at Royal Solaris was the kids pool/waterslide area. When we saw these pictures, we were sold. We brought our 3 kids with us (ages 9,6,4) and they had a blast. In fact, we couldn't drag them away from the pools long enough to even get to the beach in front of the resort. As parents, we loved lounging by the pools with cocktails and platefuls of food while our kids splashed until it was dinner time. That being said, from our experiences on past vacations to Hawaii, Disney Cruise, etc. overall I felt the quality could have been a tad better. The rooms were not as nice as most hotels we've been to. Clean, but not really luxurious. Service was good in general, but there was this underlying guilt/suspicion that I had the whole time that they needed to be tipped in order to give good service. Understandable, but it made us uncomfortable. We didn't carry nearly enough small bills to tip everyone, so my suggestion would be to come prepared with a wad of small bills. Another thing that bothered us was that we got suckered into the timeshare presentation. Literally the moment we arrived, we were whisked immediately to a desk with a salesperson (although they did not identify themselves as such), given a cocktail and chocolate cake?! We were pleasantly surprised at first, but then we realized what was going on. Despite us insisting that we were not interested in timeshares, the salesperson gave us this guilt trip about how all she was asking was for us to attend the "90-minute" presentation--no pressure. Something about how she had to meet some quota for the day. We felt bad for her and thought we were doing her a favor, so we agreed, only to have her immediately take $40 from us (that they would give back to us after the timeshare presentation was completed). After talking to another family there, we found out they fell for the exact same spiel as us. Not sure how previous reviewers escaped the timeshare trap, but we were most certainly targeted. In general, I feel the pros outweighed the cons.

PROS: Service, beautiful pools, kids splashground, basketball court, loved the fresh tacos and guacamole during lunch, snack bar, unlimited drinks, ground were constantly being maintained, public bathrooms immaculate, a la carte restaurants

CONS: High-pressure timeshare presentation (which turned out to be 2 hours after we finally put our foot down that we were done), rooms a little dated & mildewy, buffet dinner entrees need help, deceptive sales tactics

We would be interested in trying Solaris again, but maybe next time in Cancun

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Cabo Azul Resort
#6 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,436 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#14 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#37 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,143 reviews

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!